Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

From what I understand, in most countries all the DLC does is swap out Raidou with Dante. But China and Korea have an interesting curveball situation, because they can't actually release Raidou in those countries because of that whole 'early 20th century Japanese military' aesthetic.

So instead, what China and Korea are getting is an HD remaster of the original release, without stuff like the Amala Labyrinth and Matador, and the DLC updates that to the 'Nocturne with Dante' version we're familiar with.

That's interesting. I'd almost prefer to play that, sorta like an HD-ified original Nocturne before Lucifer's Call which is just "Nocturne" to all of us.

I've always been curious about that since Lucy is always there but with all that extra stuff removed his presence amounts to making you a demon and then nothing else.

TDE is so blatantly favored by Atlus when original Nocturne was actually the best SMT has ever been about portraying all alignments as equal and not being biased one way or another. Another reason I'd like to play it with none of the Lucifer /Amala Labyrinth stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiffster posted:

This is gonna be my first non spinoff SMT title because I’m late to the party (posted before Goons got me into the series recently) but it’s not the difficulty I’m talking about here. (I’ve come to peace with seeing the game over screen multiple times and dealing with it) it’s the fact that I thought Dante was add on effectively for nocturne (I was thinking new game+ boss fight material) , not a part of the story.

Ive tried to remain spoiler free on this but I know to fear the Matador and DEFINITELY fear Mot’s turn scumming

I dunno if I got lucky but I played the Chronicles version of Nocturne, the one being remastered here. Mot never used Beast Eye even once with me. I forgot to note this as it was very interesting to me.

Maybe they fixed it? Or I just got lucky.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dragonatrix posted:

The best part is that you can also jump off that same skyscraper, and when you land your entire party is at 1hp.

Except, if he's in your party when you do it, Dante comes out unharmed. It's the greatest small detail.

You know, I'm curious now if Raidou would also come out unscathed if you jump off with him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

NikkolasKing posted:

And the encounter rate in Nocturne is such that you might very well be attacked 3 or 4 times even before walking the 50 feet to where Matador will out of the blue attack.

This already put me off the replay I started recently. I just don't have the time and patience for that encounter rate anymore. I'm probably going to figure out how to run cheats in pcsx2

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1293568709001265154?s=19

They actually did it.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Spiffster posted:

Ive tried to remain spoiler free on this but I know to fear the Matador and DEFINITELY fear Mot’s turn scumming

MMMMM!

Beast Eye

MMMMM!

Makakaja

MMMMM!

Beast Eye

MMMMM!

Megidoloan

(repeat until dead)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

From what I understand, in most countries all the DLC does is swap out Raidou with Dante. But China and Korea have an interesting curveball situation, because they can't actually release Raidou in those countries because of that whole 'early 20th century Japanese military' aesthetic.

So instead, what China and Korea are getting is an HD remaster of the original release, without stuff like the Amala Labyrinth and Matador, and the DLC updates that to the 'Nocturne with Dante' version we're familiar with.

Ahh I see that kinda sucks for them

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6r_b0whA6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op0tLrbNxKk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Anyway, it's time to start my Apocalypse run of Apocalypse.

I still have my save right before I fought YHVH on my first run on War and looking at it, my setup was abysmal. I have no excuse other than I had played the game for 100 hours and I just wasn't that motivated. I love the game but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I was ready for the game to be over.

But going in armed with motivation and foreknowledge, I think I can win. Gonna be building all game around this inevitable nightmare encounter with not only him but Vishnu Flynn.

Things I learned from my failed attempts to refight him:
--Have at least one or even two demons on your team with Healing Knowledge to enable them to use healing or support items.
-Have one or even two demons with some manner of Phys Drain or Repel. This was a skill in both Nocturne and Persona 4 but my memory is drawing a blank on finding it as a transferable skill in IVA, it was just an innate quality of some demons. Maybe I just missed it, entirely possible.
-No more loving Phys builds EVER. I've done them in a variety of SMT games for diversity's sake and they always suck. I need to be using my MC powers to make me the best healer/debuffer I can be.
-I can't rely on Asahi so much. I'm gonna try for Anarchy run so I need to actually have a healer in my party.
-Krishna's Combat Tara is like Luster Candy but costs less MP so he's a no brainer for the party.
-An idea I had in my first run but which I never bothered with because I just wasn't in the mood is fusing a super low level demon with one of my endgame abilities. Let's say Debilitate. I make a Level 2 or something demon with Debilitate, fight one battle in the final dungeon, and BOOM. He'll be maxed out and give me a +1 for Debilitate thereby lowering its MP cost. Rinse and repeat until maxed out and do this for all my skills or at least a couple of them. And even with inflated Compendium costs a low level demon like that shouldn't cost anything to rebuy over and over again.
-But yeah I want low MP Debilitate and maybe even Luster Candy on me and at least one other demon because i noticed in my attempts to fight YHVH again that what is most important is constantly lowering his stats and re-upping your stats and having just one demon for that isn't near enough. Damage is great but you just won't stay alive unless he's at like -2 everything and you are +2 everything ALL the time. Doping seems vital, too.

But man, hearing that boss music again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-YLrurLEM

It reminds me of my brief, aborted Apocalypse run. I wasn't really feeling it because I'm moody like that and it's why I didn't play it too long but the one thing I remember vividly from it is that boss Sukuna-Hikona, the guy you fight right before you do the dumbest and most obviously wrong thing. I fought him so many times and even in victory it was super close. I associate the boss theme with him like others associate the IV boss theme with Minotaur. Although a big difference between IV and IVA is that the difficulty doesn't really collapse. Lotta folks told me and others "don't worry, it's all smooth sailing after Minotaur" and they were right. IV is a bit like Nocturne in that way, the early game is way harder. IVA meanwhile is like SJ in that the final boss (I'm taking Mem Aleph as SJ's final boss here) is possibly the hardest boss in the game.

Of course we Chaos fans just had to fight Pillar Zelenin and her bullshit unblockable instant kill. Other than that she was unremarkable save for an awesome theme song. Still not as good as Mem Aleph's boss theme though so MA is just better in every area.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Spiffster posted:

Personally I believe people who found Matador hard were mostly players used to more casual jRPGs you can beat just using the attack command and healing spells, if you already know how others SMT games work it shouldn't be much of a problem, specially if you play on Normal.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Spiffster posted:

This is gonna be my first non spinoff SMT title because I’m late to the party (posted before Goons got me into the series recently) but it’s not the difficulty I’m talking about here. (I’ve come to peace with seeing the game over screen multiple times and dealing with it) it’s the fact that I thought Dante was add on effectively for nocturne (I was thinking new game+ boss fight material) , not a part of the story.

Dante was added in for an updated rerelease of Nocturne (which was coincidentally the only version of Nocturne that anyone outside Japan got), but he actually was integrated into the plot of the game. Kinda.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why did the Featuring Dante picture take off as a meme? Back when Nocturne dropped I feel like Dante from DMC being in it was a selling point so why not put it on the case and hope some clueless Americans buy it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it is extremely funny op

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I am admittedly dead inside but it's not funny at all?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
From what I know, Featuring Dante wasn't really a meme when it first came out. It became one later, I think in part joining a snowball of the 'special editions of gaming things' meme that came around when you had things like the New Nintendo 3DS. It kinda became the underdog version of '& Knuckles', it was just funny to slap it on the end of things.

And then of course you had Dante becoming an actual guest character in some games, which put some extra wind into its sails.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It also wasn't on the American version. :v: It was on the PAL version.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It wasn't on the American cover, it was a giant badge on the EU cover for the game where it was renamed Lucifer's Call and the boxart was just two giant pictures of Demi and Dante.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That makes even more sense because that was the first SMT game in PAL

And it came out over there after DMC3 (the best DMC)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Len posted:

Why did the Featuring Dante picture take off as a meme? Back when Nocturne dropped I feel like Dante from DMC being in it was a selling point so why not put it on the case and hope some clueless Americans buy it.

It might be partly because even though it claims to 'feature' Dante he's in less than ten percent of the game, and depending on your ending you might not run into him more than once.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How many SMT games did North America even get before Nocturne? Persona, Eternal Punishment, and... I think Last Bible?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

YggiDee posted:

How many SMT games did North America even get before Nocturne? Persona, Eternal Punishment, and... I think Last Bible?

I think Demikids just barely makes it in there too. Also Jackbros!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Considering that the first two SMT games Atlus released in the US were a Virtual Boy title and a game with localization so bungled that they didn't even finish translating it, it's honestly kind of impressive that they kept trying at all.

Nocturne almost reads like a calculated gamble to recreate the circumstances that got Fire Emblem an angle into the west: use a known title (Smash Bros/Devil May Cry) to get people to look in their direction, and then develop a western fanbase from the people who end up curious about this thing they don't know. But if they did that they struck FAST, because at that point there had only been one Fire Emblem game in the west and it wasn't even a year old. And in the US they didn't even make a big deal that Dante was in it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cleretic posted:

Considering that the first two SMT games Atlus released in the US were a Virtual Boy title and a game with localization so bungled that they didn't even finish translating it, it's honestly kind of impressive that they kept trying at all.

Nocturne almost reads like a calculated gamble to recreate the circumstances that got Fire Emblem an angle into the west: use a known title (Smash Bros/Devil May Cry) to get people to look in their direction, and then develop a western fanbase from the people who end up curious about this thing they don't know. But if they did that they struck FAST, because at that point there had only been one Fire Emblem game in the west and it wasn't even a year old. And in the US they didn't even make a big deal that Dante was in it.
IIRC the whole deal with Dante in Nocturne is part of a cross-pollination thing they had going with Capcom; Kaneko got to design one of the Devil Trigger forms that ended up in Devil May Cry 3(?). I don't think it was part of some "master plan" to make the series profitable in the West.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC the whole deal with Dante in Nocturne is part of a cross-pollination thing they had going with Capcom; Kaneko got to design one of the Devil Trigger forms that ended up in Devil May Cry 3(?). I don't think it was part of some "master plan" to make the series profitable in the West.

Kaneko is also credited with some DMC4 designs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

He was getting around at that time, he designed an Orbital Frame for ZOE2, Inhert.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I admit I miss those weird couple years where Kaneko designs were popping up in other games. He's great for weird unsettling monster art, especially for the PS2 era, which was well-suited for his style with everyone wanting to do kinda gritty and 'real' stuff but the technology actually being really good for flat colors and minimal textures.

Commander Keene posted:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, that literally couldn't have been the plan; not only does the timeline not line up at all, and not only do we know the actual reason Dante was there, but if Atlus were trying to cash in on that they really messed up the advertising (Ghostlight in Europe, on the other hand, did not).

But at the same time it's hard to imagine a better way for them to break back into the scene than that, for exactly the same reasons Fire Emblem got its first chance. Realistically it was probably just luck; they wanted to take another shot in the west and had a pretty good idea how to handle it now, and then 'Dante in Maniax' started happening and they realized that'd be the perfect way to make an entrance.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So if any of you live in Europe or whatever you can get SMTIVA or SJR on the Nintendo eShop for 8.99.

My run of Apoc is going well.I just can't help but marvel at the balls this game has. Nocturne and SMTIVA couldn't be more different in that Nocturne was so uncaring about your decision. "Shijima, Musubi or Yosuga? Do whatever. We don't give a poo poo." You have zero reason to care about anybody anyway so just pick a Reason. But this game is dragging and pushing and in all ways compelling you towards that Peace ending. But then you can just...not do it. It really is like if at the end of Persona 4 the Accomplice route entailed murdering all of your friends. Every aspect of the game is built around Friendship...and then you do that.

It's gonna be hard going through with it.

What's funny is I was told if you pick the wrong option for how you've made your choices all game, you lose either your items or your demons. I tried out both choices in my first run and that didn't happen to me. But I gotta watch out for that I guess just in case when the time comes I can't go through with it. I can't make too many rear end in a top hat decisions.

Also I'll never forget when somebody tried to defend the Anarchy route by saying "well if they were really your friends, they wouldn't fight you." There are so many holes in this argument. If Anarchy has any defense, it's more that "the universe is more important than your friends" and even that is flimsy.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wild Hunt :stonk:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

also did I gently caress up anything regarding endings in SJ Redux? I finished Sector Grus and watched all the cutscenes, and then Horologium unlocked, and apperently I have to get down and talk to Gore to Decide Something

But I didnt even finish the fifth or sixth floors of Womb of Grief yet, and apperently finishing that side content/dealing with Alex changes the main endings?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You're not at the path of no return YET. But you're really close. Beeline to the final floor of Womb before doing too much of H, and you'll run into a "oh damnit I need one last app" roadblock. The instant you get that app, return to the Womb without delay. Especially depending on what route you're on, it's really possible to be like... ten steps from getting the key to getting locked into the old ending.

Being vague to avoid spoilers.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

jesus, glad I asked lmao, that was a close one

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

frajaq posted:

jesus, glad I asked lmao, that was a close one

I legitimately had to quit and redo an entire day of play over it my first time because I did not know "LEAVE NOW".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

I legitimately had to quit and redo an entire day of play over it my first time because I did not know "LEAVE NOW".

I hear if you don't complete the WOG you just fight regular ol' Alex who is now a joke by this point. I completed WOG but elected to get the original Chaos ending and the boss fight with her and her two buddies was a fuckin' nightmare, easily, one of the hardest fights in SJR. Certainly way harder than Pillar Zelenin.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
There's a whole flowchart of how that event works and who shows up/what the power scaling is, it's based on a couple of factors if I recall. I had to dig into it when Megaten Marathon covered the remake.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What kind of monster puts Mara in a video with that title?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mara is kind of a dick.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

kirbysuperstar posted:

He was getting around at that time, he designed an Orbital Frame for ZOE2, Inhert.

Kaneko also designed two robots for Super Robot Warls Alpha 3, on the PS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ulAqFi74AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_mJDnzRHmQ

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Detheros posted:

Mara is kind of a dick.
A real tough customer, if ya' ask me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Len posted:

What kind of monster puts Mara in a video with that title?

The Crawling Chaos, Nyarlathotep, apparently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Took a look at that video. #1 is the most bizarre design I've seen. Who allowed this?! And the one for Artemis is also wtf.