Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like Falinks. He march.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think the game's story would have greatly improved if they didn't have the Rose subplot. Although that being said, that would require some major changes to Team Yell, which was actually a good part of the story.

I guess there was an attempt to make the main antagonistic force less obvious as in the case with Lysandre where it was obvious he would be the main villain when you first lay eyes on him. If they fleshed out some parts, it would have been better.

Although with how the rest of the game turned out, I don't think they had that option.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

I think the game's story would have greatly improved if they didn't have the Rose subplot. Although that being said, that would require some major changes to Team Yell, which was actually a good part of the story.

I guess there was an attempt to make the main antagonistic force less obvious as in the case with Lysandre where it was obvious he would be the main villain when you first lay eyes on him. If they fleshed out some parts, it would have been better.

Although with how the rest of the game turned out, I don't think they had that option.

Rose could have been fixing matches because Leon’s predictable wins are driving down ticket sales or running dangerous experiments to make Dynamaxing more available to better sell the spectacle to the crowds that got out of control. Drop the nonsensical energy “crisis” stuff and stick to the pro sports angle. Then Rose gets an understandable motive of greed and arrogance instead of being impatient. Then we can teach Galar the true meaning of sportsmanship or something as Champion.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 13, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SwSh just doesn't really have an antagonistic force. Like, Rose is barely a character and Team Yell never really do anything and even when they're harassing people they're at most just kinda rude.

As far as a driving plot SwSh kinda just has Sonia's whole thing (which was super boring) and your 3 rivals and they're not great either. It's just a game without a whole lot going on in the story.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rose could have been way better if they shaved a 0 off the years-til-Galar-bites-it count, played up his OCD tendencies beforehand a little more, and just made him a bit more sympathetic while the whole apocalypse thing is going down. Like, he releases Eternatus, goes 'sorry Leon, but this needs to happen ASAP dammit', then you go see him immediately and he's just like 'it's okay Leon is cool enough to capture Eternatus and the problem will be totally solved forever, sorry I had to force things like this to get it to happen' but then Leon actually loses and then Rose flips his lid when he realizes how badly he hosed up, and THEN you go track down the doggos. Or something, this is just off the top of my head.

The way things are currently are just sort of... weird? Like they felt obligated to have an evil leader, but Rose is really not particularly villainous, but also not written sympathetically enough so he's just this weird in-between of a completely unnecessary heel turn? It's a shame they finally have one game that really needs the third version spit-shine treatment and they completely subvert it for the first time.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

All of these are good strong points and the fact it would take so little to fix the plot is an indicator of how loving bad it is.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

SwSh just doesn't really have an antagonistic force. Like, Rose is barely a character and Team Yell never really do anything and even when they're harassing people they're at most just kinda rude.

As far as a driving plot SwSh kinda just has Sonia's whole thing (which was super boring) and your 3 rivals and they're not great either. It's just a game without a whole lot going on in the story.

This right here is the big one though. It makes for an extremely weird feeling game in that you can tell something hinky should be going down but it rears it's head like a wet fart then quickly goes away. Rose and his plans are so badly implemented it's goddamn astounding considering the previous titles EVEN X AND Y made that poo poo work somewhat.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 13, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Team Yell is in an even weirder position than Rose. I get that they were trying to mimic Team Skull by being a bunch of morons nobody takes seriously who have sympathetic motives, but it doesn’t really work. They are so non threatening that they don’t even really qualify as antagonists and have so little elaborated on in their motive that they don’t garner much sympathy. They’re just somewhat rowdy fanboys/girls whose worst action is locking their front door. Even their “redemption” act falls flat because how little they do and the poor construction of that entire scenario.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Rose could have been way better if they shaved a 0 off the years-til-Galar-bites-it count, played up his OCD tendencies beforehand a little more, and just made him a bit more sympathetic while the whole apocalypse thing is going down. Like, he releases Eternatus, goes 'sorry Leon, but this needs to happen ASAP dammit', then you go see him immediately and he's just like 'it's okay Leon is cool enough to capture Eternatus and the problem will be totally solved forever, sorry I had to force things like this to get it to happen' but then Leon actually loses and then Rose flips his lid when he realizes how badly he hosed up, and THEN you go track down the doggos. Or something, this is just off the top of my head.

The way things are currently are just sort of... weird? Like they felt obligated to have an evil leader, but Rose is really not particularly villainous, but also not written sympathetically enough so he's just this weird in-between of a completely unnecessary heel turn? It's a shame they finally have one game that really needs the third version spit-shine treatment and they completely subvert it for the first time.

They could have just had Eternatus rise on its own and things would have been much better than Rose’s half-hearted “villainy”.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since it’s pretty clear Eternatus will be showing up at some point (I think it even made a brief cameo in a early episode) I’m kind of hoping the anime will end up improving on that particular story arc. We’ll see of course.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Since it’s pretty clear Eternatus will be showing up at some point (I think it even made a brief cameo in a early episode) I’m kind of hoping the anime will end up improving on that particular story arc. We’ll see of course.

A rare case where anime will undoubtedly be better than the game's take on it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Rose should have still been a villain but had a plot related to the league circuit. Like doping Leon's Pokemon to milk sponsorships or something.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
They'd never do a 'what if pokemon battling... bad???' type plotline tho

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They did a "what if pokemon training is bad" plot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

They did one a decade ago this year

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They did one a decade ago this year

They did a plotline where a guy went 'what if having pokemon...bad???' as an excuse to take over the region. The fact that having pokemon was not bad was never actually in question.

(also I'm pretty sure B/W's storyline didn't go over too well in Japan, which was a pity)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Leraika posted:

Except they did? Gen 5 did it with Team Plasma.

Granted, it still ended up with the main villain only doing it just to be the only one who had Pokémon and thus all the power.

I think the main issue behind Pokemon plots are the "restrictions" placed on the lore itself. In general, Pokémon themselves aren't the main antagonists (at least within the main series, Mystery Dungeon is set within a different universe where humans aren't present). Thus its almost always the main antagonist are people who use Pokémon to further their goals.

Or maybe Sword and Shield's story is what it is because they know most people aren't really buying the games for the story in the first place. It's just window dressing for the main event... the Pokemon battling and collecting.

Honestly though, It would be a nice change of pace if they did drop a few of Pokémon's tired tropes: Evil teams, Rivals, maybe even the main goal of becoming the champion.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They dropped some traditional pokemon tropes for Sun and Moon and then they brought them right back.

E: Anyway, if they really wanted to deemphasise story or whatever they wouldn't interrupt the game constantly for a scene with Hop or another of the rivals. I think they just wrote a bad story. It wouldn't be the first time or anything.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 13, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If they want to keep the "two evil times, but one's actually just a decoy" thing going, they MUST make the next region take place in PokeMexico, and the two teams are different stables of masked wrestlers, and it's not that one's inoffensive and the other is actually evil, it's just that they constantly do heel-face and face-heel turns.

You're taking down Mascara de Shiny Metagross' base with El Hijo del Gengar teaming with you, but when you two finally beat the last boss, the battle keeps going and he starts attacking your pokemon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Story's probably only there because people expect a story to be there. I guess the role of "bad guy" fell onto Rose because it would have been too predictable if Piers or Leon were the real bad guys.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Should have made Rose's assistant the actual mastermind and just have her manipulating him the whole time. And actually throw in some real plot at some point, it seemed like every time something weird happened Leon would show up and be like "don't sweat it, hey do you have the fire badge yet?" and that was that, you were shuffled along totally out of the way of anything interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

On the margin, writing a better story takes more time.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Humerus posted:

Should have made Rose's assistant the actual mastermind and just have her manipulating him the whole time. And actually throw in some real plot at some point, it seemed like every time something weird happened Leon would show up and be like "don't sweat it, hey do you have the fire badge yet?" and that was that, you were shuffled along totally out of the way of anything interesting.

She was more disappointing than Rose because she gave off vibes of being that sort of character or at least having interesting personal motivations, but it never went anywhere.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hammerite posted:

She was more disappointing than Rose because she gave off vibes of being that sort of character or at least having interesting personal motivations, but it never went anywhere.

At least Twilight Wings gave us all the game did not there, Oleana's episode was great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

At least Twilight Wings gave us all the game did not there, Oleana's episode was great.

That show really should have been longer (both in terms of episode length and total episode count) as in my opinion it’s one of the best Pokemon anime in recent years.

Even the dub was surprisingly well done and I kind of wish that particular studio would take over the main series as well.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

That show really should have been longer (both in terms of episode length and total episode count) as in my opinion it’s one of the best Pokemon anime in recent years.

Even the dub was surprisingly well done and I kind of wish that particular studio would take over the main series as well.

It showed that there is a really good potential for storytelling in this setting that is almost never capitalized on. Like a lot of the movies do as well. Basically anything besides the games or anime show the real potential of the series as a plot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geostomp posted:

It showed that there is a really good potential for storytelling in this setting that is almost never capitalized on. Like a lot of the movies do as well. Basically anything besides the games or anime show the real potential of the series as a plot.

Speaking of which, are the current reboot movies (that is, the ones that are basically an alternate retelling of Ash’s journey from the beginning) any good?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Violet_Sky posted:

I like Falinks. He march.

Dynamax Falinks should've had them standing on each other instead of just becoming larger

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It'd never happen but I wish they'd make a 3rd DLC that was a Sinnoh and completed the national dex.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
a 3rd DLC that was just the battle island with Platinum's frontier and the villa would be amazing.

Or make that its own game, idk

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pokémon sparkly diamond/shiny pearl

Idk I’m bad at this. But it would be cool to revisit Sinnoh with the Sword/Shield engine, as long as they fix the frame rate issues haha just kidding they won’t.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The highly interconnected routes around Mt. Coronet could make for a pretty satisfying wild area, I think.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

First time I ran into a Falinks I thought for sure it was a steel/fighting type and would have some kind of Exeggucutor type evolution.

Imagine my disappointment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was expecting Fighting/Bug because it looks like a caterpillar.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DLC, but it's the characters, music, and "story" from the Pokemon Masters mobile game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, are the current reboot movies (that is, the ones that are basically an alternate retelling of Ash’s journey from the beginning) any good?

I Choose You is pretty bad. It's a few remade scenes from the first season, along with 2 new characters who don't get to do much beyond show their backstory, and a quest with legendary pokemon that goes like almost all these movies do.

The Power of Us is really good. Ash rolls into a town that's having a festival for Lugia and an interconnected story of six people begins where they must all conquer their fears together to save the town from its dark secret. Very good character work all around, a nice showcase of many different ways people interact with pokemon, and the movie's legendary gets a very restrained role, like there isn't some four minute scene where everything stops so someone can tell you why the legendary is so cool you should go to gamestop for it right now.

Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. lol. Just, even the nicest take is that it's a weaker version of the original; the CG is impressive but nowhere as pretty as the original. A different dub that is far too dry (the last sentence of the movie is a joke on what team rocket says when blasting off in japanese (what an awful feeling!), but as an english viewer you have never heard that before so it's nonsense) and feels awkward when putting the few more modern elements of pokemon into it. I'd recommend finding subs for the original movie to get that different yet familiar experience instead.

Coco is the next movie. Would've been out in japan by now, but Covid. It's looking way more like Power of Us, only rather than Ash working with a group of people, he instead is having a big ol' Tarzan or George of the Jungle adventure with the titular Coco. Including the taking him to the city and getting him a shirt.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I watched a subbed version of the Mewtwo remake a while back. It’s basically just a worse looking version of the original with some odd changes (such as cutting out the part with Mewtwo and the little girl at the beginning and Team Rocket now being dressed as sailors rather than vikings).

Kind of hope they don’t make any more movies in that style to be honest (or at least, not direct remakes at least).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MorningMoon posted:

I Choose You is pretty bad. It's a few remade scenes from the first season, along with 2 new characters who don't get to do much beyond show their backstory, and a quest with legendary pokemon that goes like almost all these movies do.
And one infamous scene that just brings the movie to a screeching halt.

Good ending song though.

Larryb posted:

(such as cutting out the part with Mewtwo and the little girl at the beginning and Team Rocket now being dressed as sailors rather than vikings).
This is deeply hosed up, Ash's Minnesota Vikings joke is integral to the first movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

And one infamous scene that just brings the movie to a screeching halt.

Good ending song though.

This is deeply hosed up, Ash's Minnesota Vikings joke is integral to the first movie.

I don't care about spoilers, what's this scene you're talking about?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Larryb posted:

I don't care about spoilers, what's this scene you're talking about?

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/930126330615730182

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think I heard a record needle scratch the first time I saw that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I think I heard a record needle scratch the first time I saw that scene.

Ah yeah, I had heard about that. So what's the context of that scene, is Ash having some sort of fever dream or does Pikachu just randomly start talking for no real explained reason?