Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

My seaside town is as lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I did a square crop of this and it would make a great album cover. I like the 16:9 crop I did too, more cinematic. But there's something about the whole 4:3 that I really dig.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Nice.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

DSCF7639

SuicidalSmurf fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 3, 2020

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is nice

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lake Louise by Cacator, on Flickr

Lake Agnes Trail by Cacator, on Flickr

Lake Agnes by Cacator, on Flickr

Moraine Lake by Cacator, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I know I deserve to get sued for the first one.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh my god, seriously, that’s extraordinary.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The first one is heavenly. The second one while also gorgeous, the slope of the land kinda screws up the natural horizon. Also it's a good sequence to show "this is how far I walked in half a day"!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

The first one is heavenly. The second one while also gorgeous, the slope of the land kinda screws up the natural horizon. Also it's a good sequence to show "this is how far I walked in half a day"!

More like 2 hours of hiking :)

The landscape above the canyon is definitely disconcerting, its a football field wide meadow hanging several hundred feet up off the valley floor with building sized boulders scattered about that swoops up towards the high passes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's crazy how ignored the Tetons are by photographers. They do mormon row and schwabacher landing then maybe try to rip off Ansel's snake river shot before moving on, convinced they've seen everything the area has to offer.

I get it, photographers in general are lazy and if it's not 10 minutes from the car park the spot doesn't exist but there are still a number of hardcore grand landscape nerds out there that put in the miles and I don't think I've seen anything from the trails. But clicking around on the 360 views that people put into google maps reveals some pretty amazing scenery with numerous prominent peaks (not the least of which is the Tetons themselves).

Just look at that poo poo: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.727...!8i4352!5m1!1e4

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

xzzy posted:

It's crazy how ignored the Tetons are by photographers. They do mormon row and schwabacher landing then maybe try to rip off Ansel's snake river shot before moving on, convinced they've seen everything the area has to offer.

I get it, photographers in general are lazy and if it's not 10 minutes from the car park the spot doesn't exist but there are still a number of hardcore grand landscape nerds out there that put in the miles and I don't think I've seen anything from the trails. But clicking around on the 360 views that people put into google maps reveals some pretty amazing scenery with numerous prominent peaks (not the least of which is the Tetons themselves).

Just look at that poo poo: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.727...!8i4352!5m1!1e4

I'm going to pretend this is that guys wife because that's the face my wife makes when I stop every 100ft to take a picture on a hike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thats why I never bring my real camera backpacking. Trips would take longer to set up shots. Gear adds a lot of weight. The people I'm usually with aren't photo or even social media folks so they really dont take any photos. Stopping to take photos all the time would be an annoyance ... so I either rush ahead or just snap with my phone while moving.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I always hike solo so I can take all the time I like for photography. Plus getting away from the city and other people is half the reason I go hiking so I enjoy the solitude. There’s always some good camaraderie in the back country huts in the evenings so I can still get my fill of social interaction.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

We ended up doing 50 miles over 5 days, for gear I had my X-T2, 16-80/4 zoom, 16/1.4 for night shots and 35/2 just because it's tiny. Extra weight and all but definitely worth it. One of the other hikers in the group had just come back from a couple years in Tbilisi and was distinctly unimpressed with the Snake River side of the Tetons coming in, but ended up being wowed by the backcountry.

The crazy thing is that almost all of the Teton Crest can be reached with at most only 8-10 miles of hiking from a trail head, and you don't even need permits for Fox Creek or Alaska Basin camping.

The late morning backlight on the peaks sucks but this would be a great spot for a sunset photo if I'd have the opportunity to stick around Alaska Basin for another night (just above the pano shot you linked):

Full-size

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always have my "real" camera with me, and usually walk with it in hand unless the terrain requires me to be more careful. See something cool, snap it, and walk faster for a few seconds to catch up with the wife. None of them are gonna be prints but it's fun memory snapshots.

The time consuming spend two hours standing in one spot shots I'll do after we set up camp and she can relax in the tent or hang out with any other campers in the area.

I do love a solo hike too but in bear country I get super uncomfortable.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

xzzy posted:

I always have my "real" camera with me, and usually walk with it in hand unless the terrain requires me to be more careful. See something cool, snap it, and walk faster for a few seconds to catch up with the wife. None of them are gonna be prints but it's fun memory snapshots.

The time consuming spend two hours standing in one spot shots I'll do after we set up camp and she can relax in the tent or hang out with any other campers in the area.

I do love a solo hike too but in bear country I get super uncomfortable.

Everything around me is bear country so I'm too much of a coward to go out by myself at the ideal shooting times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The late morning backlight on the peaks sucks but this would be a great spot for a sunset photo if I'd have the opportunity to stick around Alaska Basin for another night:

Full-size

Hah, that's the same spot in my google link. Down in those rocks with those ponds and you got yourself some good options for reflections in the evening. Or all those pines stuck to outcrops? Hell yeah.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I live/hike in New Zealand, fortunately we don’t have to worry about bears, lions, chupacabras, yetis etc here

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I live/hike in New Zealand, fortunately we don’t have to worry about bears, lions, chupacabras, yetis etc here

Only tourists.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

toggle posted:

Only tourists.

not these days we don't, unless tourists want to pay three grand to spend two weeks in managed quarantine before they can leave their hotel, they're not getting in

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Badlands by Cacator, on Flickr

Badlands by Cacator, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

digging both of these

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Briefly trespassed. Worth it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

SwissDonkey posted:

Briefly trespassed. Worth it.

really nice!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Some shots from Krabi at the weekend.

IMG_6898.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_6820.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_7095.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Obligatory Tetons shot:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
ilford 200, Minolta xg-m

Kodak portra 160, holga 120

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Feeling pretty rusty out there yesterday. Mostly sitting at home I’ve gotten used to a tripod and playing with lighting and taking my time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tk posted:

Feeling pretty rusty out there yesterday. Mostly sitting at home I’ve gotten used to a tripod and playing with lighting and taking my time.

I love this, the built up chaos is real nice.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 15, 2020

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

A post-apocalyptic sunset

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

majour333 posted:

ilford 200, Minolta xg-m

Cool. 200 ISO Ilford, is that SFX 200?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn