Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

bengy81 posted:

Of the hundreds of bikes I saw heading north towards SD, I saw maybe a dozen that were for sure under the age of 50. The one dude I saw that might be in his late 30's or early 40's was wearing an Angels vest.
Even in a normal year, Sturgis is mostly old white dudes. I know a handful of gen x types that got and like one or two younger dudes, but motorcycle rallies seem like a relic of the 60s and 70s, so it makes sense that boomers would be the ones going.
I know a bunch of the smaller rallies died off a decade or two back, I wonder if the bigger ones will be able to survive much longer?

I'll be surprised if Harley Davidson survives the decade.

Like a lotta Boomer poo poo, I think younger people might be into it if the companies and organizations made half an effort to cater to the younger folks, and hanging out with HD fans wasn't like hanging out with your racist parents and their friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If only one of those good capitalists bought a few billion in stamps...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ded posted:

*documented

yeah, in a few years we'll have a brief window to estimate the total excess deaths before records become spotty

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the major speakers at the Convention are Republicans change my mind

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PeterCat posted:

I'll be surprised if Harley Davidson survives the decade.

Like a lotta Boomer poo poo, I think younger people might be into it if the companies and organizations made half an effort to cater to the younger folks, and hanging out with HD fans wasn't like hanging out with your racist parents and their friends.

Yeah, they had some really good luck selling more aggressive versions of the sportster, so they took that lesson and made the street rod? Which is even more lame and boring than most Japanese sub-litre cruisers, and they doubled down on the 60k parade bikes...
I've never been the target demographic for a cruiser, but hell, if.i can get a semi cheap shovelhead in a COVID death estate sale, I won't be upset.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nick Soapdish posted:

Wonder if he'll explain where all that money he promised to down ballot Ds is

Into whatever PAC's were backing Omar and Talib's opponents I reckon.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

bengy81 posted:

Yeah, they had some really good luck selling more aggressive versions of the sportster, so they took that lesson and made the street rod? Which is even more lame and boring than most Japanese sub-litre cruisers, and they doubled down on the 60k parade bikes...
I've never been the target demographic for a cruiser, but hell, if.i can get a semi cheap shovelhead in a COVID death estate sale, I won't be upset.

Few months and second hand Harley's are gonna be cheap as gently caress.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bengy81 posted:

Of the hundreds of bikes I saw heading north towards SD, I saw maybe a dozen that were for sure under the age of 50. The one dude I saw that might be in his late 30's or early 40's was wearing an Angels vest.
Even in a normal year, Sturgis is mostly old white dudes. I know a handful of gen x types that got and like one or two younger dudes, but motorcycle rallies seem like a relic of the 60s and 70s, so it makes sense that boomers would be the ones going.
I know a bunch of the smaller rallies died off a decade or two back, I wonder if the bigger ones will be able to survive much longer?

if covid has its way, Sturgis bike rally will be reduced by at least half next year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bengy81 posted:

H-D is deliberately running themselves into the ground. Their CEO a couple of years ago (now forced out) noticed they were running out of people to sell bikes to and proposed a strategy to make different types of bikes in an attempt to appeal to new groups and markets outside the US. In February, some mutual fund nerds that own 2% of H-D agitated to get some new directors and they forced the CEO out and returned their strategy to focus on their core riders. Stock price naturally went up by 20% after that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

H-D is deliberately running themselves into the ground. Their CEO a couple of years ago (now forced out) noticed they were running out of people to sell bikes to and proposed a strategy to make different types of bikes in an attempt to appeal to new groups and markets outside the US. In February, some mutual fund nerds that own 2% of H-D agitated to get some new directors and they forced the CEO out and returned their strategy to focus on their core riders. Stock price naturally went up by 20% after that.

I mean 20% of 30 bucks still don't get them to where the old CEO had them lol. If zoomers and millenials don't go out and buy gigantic bikes from Harley, they're gonna be a penny stock inside a couple years, especially as the boomer die-off accelerates.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I look forward to seeing piles of harleys on craigslist next few months, and constantly sinking prices. The desperate ones will post their loan statements in an effort to get someone to buy their mistake off them for what's owed. Because there's no way in gently caress the bulk of newer harleys aren't financed to the passengers' tits.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

this is important news
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1293741415684378624

quote:

Late last year, the Njigen no Mori theme park in Hyogo Prefecture’s Awaji Island announced that it will be adding a new Godzilla-themed expansion called Godzilla Interception Operation Awaji.

Now, a little less than a year later, the park has announced that the full attraction is not yet ready to open to the public. Instead, it will be holding an advanced opening for its Godzilla Museum from now till 31 August 2020.

In the museum, you will be able to see dioramas of various scenes from different Godzilla movies, all made in cooperation with the studio in charge of producing the movies, Toho. Among them you will see various Godzilla designs and building sets used in the movies.

According to Soranews24, the Godzilla museum will also have rooms filled with over 80 different Godzilla figures, props for Godzilla films used by Toho, and prototype models of various monsters that have appeared in the franchise over the years, such as the Mothra model below.

Once you are done geeking out over the dioramas and figures, you can then head on down to the Nijigen no Mori gift shop where you can find limited edition Godzilla goods. There is also a restaurant in the theme park offering a special Godzilla menu, should you be feeling a little peckish after all the walking.

The park will also offer a Godzilla-themed workshop for kids where they will learn how to make a Godzilla version of Awaji Island’s fukimodoshi, which is essentially a party blower. Guests to the Godzilla museum will also get to receive a free Godzilla clear file

Admission to the museum will cost 1,000 yen (S$12.85) for adults and 800 yen (S$10.28) for children, with the children’s ticket inclusive of the fukimodoshi workshop. Unfortunately, after the advanced opening ends on 31 August, the museum, along with the gift shop, restaurant and restaurant, will stay closed till the rest of the attraction opens.

Soranews reports that the full attraction will feature a zip line ride where you get to participate in an exploration of a giant Godzilla by either flying into its mouth, through its body, or around it to observe its exterior. There will also be a shooting game where you destroy cells coming off Godzilla’s body to prevent them from reproducing.

There is no word yet on when the whole attraction will open to the public.

https://geekculture.co/japans-first-ever-godzilla-museum-now-open-for-a-limited-time/

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 13, 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

orange juche posted:

I mean 20% of 30 bucks still don't get them to where the old CEO had them lol. If zoomers and millenials don't go out and buy gigantic bikes from Harley, they're gonna be a penny stock inside a couple years, especially as the boomer die-off accelerates.

Basically every sale that HD lost went to Indian/Polaris anyway.

The problem isn't the bikes, although they suck, it's the other riders. No one but chuds want to be associated with them, or be known as a harley rider.

They thought they'd get them gosh darn millennials with an electric bike but their existing base hated it and no one new wanted a HD so, congratulations on loving yourself. I mean poo poo, it wasn't too long ago that a pillion seat was still referred to as a bitch seat in the HD catalog.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
This is a really good video on Harley Davidson, if anyone cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxxsPaogY

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
2020 might be too much of a motherfucker to give us the piss tape, but we might be getting the pp book.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1293995889502179336?s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/4TogbPPyQQM

Stephen Root is awesome as always.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Not only did I do these crimes, I helped them get away with it. Pay me to find out more!

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

not caring here posted:

Basically every sale that HD lost went to Indian/Polaris anyway.

The problem isn't the bikes, although they suck, it's the other riders. No one but chuds want to be associated with them, or be known as a harley rider.

They thought they'd get them gosh darn millennials with an electric bike but their existing base hated it and no one new wanted a HD so, congratulations on loving yourself. I mean poo poo, it wasn't too long ago that a pillion seat was still referred to as a bitch seat in the HD catalog.

My buddy went up to Sturgis Tuesday to people watch (I wouldn't but whatever) and he thinks there are more people our age (40ish) than I think. I don't know, all the ones plowing through town are riding Harleys and look pretty boomer to me. Also, lots of trikes, lotta trikes. I think that will be Harley's bread and butter in the next decade, trikes for old boomers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Not only did I do these crimes, I helped them get away with it. Pay me to find out more!

Fuckin A.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Burning Beard posted:

My buddy went up to Sturgis Tuesday to people watch (I wouldn't but whatever) and he thinks there are more people our age (40ish) than I think. I don't know, all the ones plowing through town are riding Harleys and look pretty boomer to me. Also, lots of trikes, lotta trikes. I think that will be Harley's bread and butter in the next decade, trikes for old boomers.

Trikes are usually built by third party companies, like fancy conversion van packages.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Stingwing posted:

This is a really good video on Harley Davidson, if anyone cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxxsPaogY

That was really cool. I have always been interested in motorcycles, never had the space or money for one though. I feel like an electric bike would be extremely my jam as I hate loud bikes and that is the biggest reason I never got into them. An OD green Indian Scout but electric would probably be my dream bike. Maybe when I hit my mid-life crisis.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A couple of years back my sister died and I needed cash quick to get to see her (and my girlfriend didn't want me to die in a crash). I sold my harley I owned outright to the local dealership for around 5 grand less than what I paid for it years before. It's not still on the lot in town, but Harley has yet to sell it as the title is still in my name.

The dealership in town is under new management and a salesperson called me trying to get me to come in to ride a new bike. I politely declined.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I miss having a bike (last was a V-Strom 650) but I don't see myself riding again. It was fun when I was younger, especially a teenager with old 70s Hondas to ride around, but I've got enough physical ailments without risking getting hit by someone texting and driving. To each their own, though. Not that I'll be giving up my motorcycle endorsement on my license, however.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

2020 might be too much of a motherfucker to give us the piss tape, but we might be getting the pp book.

Piss tape is real and nothing will sway me from that universal constant

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

They can make all the videos they like, the message is the same: we deserve/want a *competent* fascist.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nick Soapdish posted:

Piss tape is real and nothing will sway me from that universal constant

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Harley is going to get the 'repeatedly passed around by private equity, each one saddling it with even more debt as they pump the corpse a few more times for dividends and management fees' treatment

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The american way. Good for harley. Go down like Remington.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Harley is going to get the 'repeatedly passed around by private equity, each one saddling it with even more debt as they pump the corpse a few more times for dividends and management fees' treatment

Totally makes sense - why bother on long term market share growth when you can get short term gains (or minimize losses) by focusing on your core audience. Make some bucks, pay some dividends, dump the stock when you see your internal targets trending too negative and let the company go bankrupt.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

The Governor of South Dakota thinks we should put on our "positive pants" with this pandemic. Bitch is lucky I'm even wearing something resembling pants.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...SJEOPfT-9eR3muM

quote:

“There is a risk associated with everything that we do in life,” Noem said. “We mitigate risks by taking proper precautions when we get in our cars, when we operate farm equipment, and when we make choices about what we eat and how much we exercise. The same should be true about life as we get back to normal.”

State health secretary Kim Malsam-Rysdon said the accidents Noem referenced included “injuries and accidents in a general way,” including “a number of accidental injuries that do lead to death.”

I'd laugh harder if I wasn't regretting my life choices and drinking vodka right now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Burning Beard posted:

The Governor of South Dakota thinks we should put on our "positive pants" with this pandemic. Bitch is lucky I'm even wearing something resembling pants.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...SJEOPfT-9eR3muM

I'd laugh harder if I wasn't regretting my life choices and drinking vodka right now.

When one of her dumbfuck hillbilly constituents rolls a tractor, he doesn't cause a chain reaction of tractor rolling across the county. I loving hate these morons. My 7th graders are smarter than this mouthbreather.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
How about mitigating risk by wearing masks, social distancing and avoiding large gatherings? You loving morons

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harley davidson's long term future is with whatever vulture capital firm owns the marilyn monroe and betty boop merch licensing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Like anyone in this country has tested pants positive since mid-march SMH

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tweety Bird padded jean jackets

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

:frogon:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/politics/trump-campaign-voter-fraud-lawsuit-pennsylvania/index.html

quote:

(CNN)A federal judge in Pennsylvania told the Trump campaign and the Republican Party that they must produce evidence they have of vote-by-mail fraud in the state by Friday.
The judge's order, in a high-profile case about vote-by-mail in the battleground state, essentially forces the Trump campaign to try to back up President Donald Trump's false claims about massive voter fraud in postal voting.
"The Court finds that instances of voter fraud are relevant to the claims and defenses in this case," District Judge J. Nicholas Ranjan wrote on Thursday, telling Republicans that they need to provide evidence of fraud to the Democratic Party and the Sierra Club, which are part of the lawsuit.

The Trump campaign "should not be permitted to raise such spectacular fraud related claims, particular in this national climate," lawyers representing the Democrats wrote.

Turning trumps rhetoric into a lawsuit. How quick will he try to settle?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

Turning trumps rhetoric into a lawsuit. How quick will he try to settle?

They don't care. They will produce next to nothing, then appeal based on a biased judge or some nonsense. Or they'll say LOOK AT NEW YORK when fraud isn't the problem there.

While he spouts birther poo poo against Kamala. Out of all the poo poo you can attack Kamala with, they're going with the racist birther poo poo.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1294034356483362818

Edit: And because Donnie's blind as poo poo, he called on the HuffPo reporter

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1294035043799781376

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 13, 2020

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Just a reminder that heroes walk among us:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1293683792801140737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

USPS removing mailboxes in Portland

quote:

Swanson said USPS is only removing mailboxes where there were already multiple boxes stationed next to each other.

:crossarms: