Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

The Gardenator posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($40.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Raidmax Thunder RGB 735 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($40.00)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM 37.85 CFM 92 mm Fan ($10.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $826.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-26 05:59 EDT-0400

Building this 1080p gaming computer for a friend. Besides the new GPU cards dropping soon, are there any issues?

Amazon of course shipped both the motherboard and gpu in just their manufacturer box through the mail. Hopefully the parts are not damaged, the mobo didn't even have any tape on it. Also lost the cheap brand powersupply in the mail. But maybe that was a good thing. Got a Silverstone 550W Gold for the same price, so it should be better overall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0762R8WJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Asus motherboard delivered by Amazon didn't have tape on it either. I think it's normal.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Spacedad posted:

That's still with 10 dollar shipping of course. But I think newegg is the lowest priced even with shipping you can get the case at. And 10 bucks is 10 bucks.

Really liking how my meshify c white turned out with the heatsink covers and chromax dh15 btw.

(This was before I added the two chromax 140mm fans to the front and worked out my cable management some more.)

Also once again, no problems to report with the new PC build. The CPU is remarkably cool running even under heavier load. :dance:

Can confirm on that. The DH15 is really easy to install.

But it's also something you want to install AFTER you get all the trickier parts of your motherboard sockets (and also ram and m.2s) plugged in on. Because plugging in that other stuff is hard to do working around that beefy rear end cooler.

This looks great! I'm doing the exact same build except with an s2 and the nhd15s since I couldn't find any chromax's in stock anywhere. Kind of wish I went with the C instead after seeing how everything fits in yours (I switched to the s2 for since concerns). How are your GPU temps? One thing I read is that you can remove the front foam filter to get some impressive temp improvements with little noise, especially with the noctua fans.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4nQfq3

Just wanted to ask one more question regarding this build cos im getting ready to pull the trigger. For tax reasons I kind of have to buy the components before October-

With the GPU (and others in that price range) I have am I likely to be in a situation where holding out for anything new being released (before october) would be worth while. I gather thats the case towards the higher end of things...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a good build. Even if the new video cards come out in September they will probably be sold out until 2021.

I would consider paying a little more for this m2 nvme drive instead of that SATA. But it's not a huge deal if you want to keep your list.

https://www.amazon.de/Western-Digit...mputers&sr=1-11

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 13, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a good build. Even if the new video cards come out in September they will probably be sold out until 2021.

:negative:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Honestly nobody knows what RTX 3000 availability will be, but the lowest tier part you'll be able to get in 2020 will probably be the ~$500 MSRP.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Honestly nobody knows what RTX 3000 availability will be, but the lowest tier part you'll be able to get in 2020 will probably be the ~$500 MSRP.

Which is the level I'm looking at anyway, so hope springs eternal.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Samadhi posted:

Which is the level I'm looking at anyway, so hope springs eternal.

:same:

IIRC the "credible rumor" is the 3070 tier drops 1 month after the 3080/Ti tier, which is supposed to be the first thing to come out. Then 3060 or whatever next year. Of course none of this official and could all be worse/better/different IRL.

Real world availability & pricing is :iiam: territory at this point of course.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
So, my eight year old PC is really starting to show it's age, and I think it is finally time I build a new one, and I'm looking for some advice from you fine folks.

Here is what I'm currently running:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL8 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2 GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

My intention is to re-use the SSD's I have, while also being set on KB/M, speakers and monitors. My goal is to spend $1000 or less. I think the only additional thing I would need to add is that I'd like to get an internal bluetooth and wireless card instead of the USB dongles I'm currently using for that purpose.

Requested Info:

I reside in the USA
Looking to build a Gaming Desktop
$1000 budget
No professional software needed
Monitor Resolution/Refresh Rate: 1080p; 60 Hz

I haven't tried putting together a build yet, mostly because I'm not sure where things lie with AMD/Intel/ARM and Radeon vs GeForce. If y'all would like to see my meager attempt to put something together, let me know, otherwise, I'd appreciate all advice and assistance!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Awesome Animals posted:

So, my eight year old PC is really starting to show it's age, and I think it is finally time I build a new one, and I'm looking for some advice from you fine folks.
I reside in the USA
Looking to build a Gaming Desktop
$1000 budget
No professional software needed
Monitor Resolution/Refresh Rate: 1080p; 60 Hz

Here's a first try

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($46.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $993.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 12:24 EDT-0400

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Is it recommended to replace ssds (move them to secondary stroage) with newer tech when upgrading or are they more reliable than platter hdd?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Gardenator posted:

Is it recommended to replace ssds (move them to secondary stroage) with newer tech when upgrading or are they more reliable than platter hdd?

An SSD should be safe for 10 years depending on how strenuous the usage is, but that's just where the manufacturer's stated performance guarantees run out. I don't think we've reached a point where anyone who has bought an SSD has had one fail because it's degraded through use (as opposed to being faulty in some way).

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
Just saw the Adata X8200 Pro on OzBargain for AU$205.06, is this one of the good, goon-approved ones for a main drive?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol what the hell, amazon. The video card I ordered showed up on the porch in its own box. I guess technically it's a totally acceptable box to ship something in, but having something on my porch that says GIGABYTE GEFORCE in giant white letters is probably not the best way to prevent theft.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Now that some B550 boards are readily available for the same $130 as the B450 tomahawk, I wonder if it's time we change the standard mobo recommendation? Particularly I'm thinking about the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro and the MSI B550M Bazooka. MATX, but that doesn't mean they can't go in regular ATX cases.

Both have 2 M.2 slots and USB-C front panel, VRMs are good (particularly gigabyte's), and 5 fan headers. And as Sean10mm described they don't do annoying disabling of components depending on what slots you use. I think the two m.2 slots in particular are an advantage going forward.

Kintamarama posted:

Just saw the Adata X8200 Pro on OzBargain for AU$205.06, is this one of the good, goon-approved ones for a main drive?

Yup!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

lol what the hell, amazon. The video card I ordered showed up on the porch in its own box. I guess technically it's a totally acceptable box to ship something in, but having something on my porch that says GIGABYTE GEFORCE in giant white letters is probably not the best way to prevent theft.

Yeah I'm still dealing with the one I ordered from Newegg having gotten stolen. The one from Amazon I ordered to replace it actually respected the "signature required" thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Gardenator posted:

Many of them can write crazy amounts of data before developing issues.
https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Quick question about ram:

I'd like to get 64GBs. Does it matter if I get 2x 32GB sticks, or would 4x 16GB sticks be fine? I thought I read something saying that 4x sticks might provide better performance, but I can't seem to find that info anymore.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Grumpwagon posted:

Here's a first try

Thanks you for the recommendation!

Looks like maybe I should jump to the B550M for the mobo?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gearman posted:

Quick question about ram:

I'd like to get 64GBs. Does it matter if I get 2x 32GB sticks, or would 4x 16GB sticks be fine? I thought I read something saying that 4x sticks might provide better performance, but I can't seem to find that info anymore.

2 sticks is easier for the memory controller to run, which if you are on Ryzen is usually the more important consideration. If you get 4 you need to pay very close attention to your mobo QVL, because many sticks are only validated to run in 2x configuration.

4 sticks can be faster than 2 if they are single-rank memory in both cases, but it's a) a tiny difference not worth really worrying about and b) at 32gb your sticks will be dual-rank, which means no difference between 2 and 4.

e:

Awesome Animals posted:

Looks like maybe I should jump to the B550M for the mobo?
Personally I would rather have one of the 2 B550 mATX mobos I linked,first choice being the gigabyte. Only qualification being they only have 4 sata ports, if you have a lot of HDs.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 13, 2020

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

xzzy posted:

Yeah they did that to me as well. I videoed opening the video card just in case. Amazon will of course bubble wrap and box an $8 toy but not a $200+ item. Doesn't make sense.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I saw some option on checkout recently called "Amazon Shipping" that claimed would make them put the stuff in an Amazon box if you wanted, but did not try it, not sure if that costs extra.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah you can do that with gift options too. I don’t think the Amazon packaging costs extra.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone at the fullfillment center was just being a lazy gently caress, every amazon package I've ever ordered has come in a brown amazon box. This time? There was no sealing whatsoever.. no shrink wrap, no tape. As it had been back ordered someone down in Lexington lifted it out of the truck it showed up on, slapped a shipping label on it, and tossed it in another truck to be delivered to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The packaging guy was probably scolded for using the restroom for 15 seconds longer than he was allotted and was threatened with docking his pay if he didn't improve efficiency by 30%.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

2 sticks is easier for the memory controller to run, which if you are on Ryzen is usually the more important consideration. If you get 4 you need to pay very close attention to your mobo QVL, because many sticks are only validated to run in 2x configuration.

4 sticks can be faster than 2 if they are single-rank memory in both cases, but it's a) a tiny difference not worth really worrying about and b) at 32gb your sticks will be dual-rank, which means no difference between 2 and 4.

This is what I was looking for, thanks!

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if there are any X570 boards that have a on-board power button and 2-digit numerical counter (for POST codes and CPU temp) other than the Gigabyte Aorus Master?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Samadhi posted:

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if there are any X570 boards that have a on-board power button and 2-digit numerical counter (for POST codes and CPU temp) other than the Gigabyte Aorus Master?

Yes, all the companies have at least one. Sort by price highest.

It's not a feature you get on boards below the high $300s.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Klyith posted:

Yes, all the companies have at least one. Sort by price highest.

It's not a feature you get on boards below the high $300s.
Ironically on my $68 CAD biostar ivy bridge mobo from 2012... we’ve strayed too far from the light.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there cheap (like $10) discrete GPU options out there that can just output video ? I have parts that I need to test but the processor doesn't have integrated graphics so I'm trying to find a way to put everything together (motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD, PSU, etc) and run so I can set it up, then put in a new graphics card when the rtx3000 cards come out. Normally I could just wait but I have a no notice move coming up now and want to be able to return any bad parts to the local store I bought from before I end up leaving.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PageMaster posted:

Are there cheap (like $10) discrete GPU options out there that can just output video ? I have parts that I need to test but the processor doesn't have integrated graphics so I'm trying to find a way to put everything together (motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD, PSU, etc) and run so I can set it up, then put in a new graphics card when the rtx3000 cards come out. Normally I could just wait but I have a no notice move coming up now and want to be able to return any bad parts to the local store I bought from before I end up leaving.

Not retail. Anything PCIe will work so you could trawl Craigslist/Reddit/SA-Mart for something ancient and local, there are plenty of GPUs out there too old to be good for anything that will still work as a graphics adapter.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Samadhi posted:

MSI Unify X570 has both those. Those POST LEDs have come in useful when OCing RAM. I got it for list: $300.

It's a good board. They went with only 4 SATA SSD ports and put the remaining lines into 3x m.2, a trade off I like.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Gardenator posted:

No drive is ever 100% reliable no matter how new, there's simply no replacement for backups

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

v1ld posted:

MSI Unify X570 has both those. Those POST LEDs have come in useful when OCing RAM. I got it for list: $300.

It's a good board. They went with only 4 SATA SSD ports and put the remaining lines into 3x m.2, a trade off I like.

Thank you very much. It's slightly more than I wanted to spend on the board, but it looks perfect for what I need. The onboard wifi and 3x M.2 slots are great, so I think I have the board settled.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
One final final query on this build

As i am pulling the trigger tomorrow. Would it be worth going for a b550 motherboard? If so could someone recommend which one?

Cheers

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Science_enthusiast posted:

One final final query on this build

As i am pulling the trigger tomorrow. Would it be worth going for a b550 motherboard? If so could someone recommend which one?

Cheers

With a 3600 I'm not sure it really matters, but if you're comparing micro ATX boards the B550 boards seem to be built to better specs in general than their B450 counterparts.

If the B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX is sort of the baseline, then the MSI B550 Pro VDH WIFI and MSI MAG B550M Bazooka are on par with that, and the B550M Mortar and the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro look better.

If you're just going to build it and forget it and run everything stock, than the mobo you picked should be perfectly fine. If you're thinking about overclocking or moving up to a newer/faster/more power hungry CPU down the road, one of the heavier-duty B550 boards makes sense.

The B550M Mortar is pretty much built like an X570 ATX board, so compared to that it's a very good value, but it may just be excessive for what you're actually using your PC for.

I wouldn't care too much about PCIe 3.0 vs. 4.0, they can't even make an M.2 SSD that uses the bandwidth properly yet. It's nice to have in theory but probably won't be of practical value for years.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Ok fab thanks- i think ill stick with what ive got on the list then. 🧙‍♀️

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

PageMaster posted:

Some Goon already covered it but yeah, just trawl FB Marketplace, Craigslist, or eBay if you're fine with a couple days shipping. There's almost always a bunch of $10-$30 cards out of old workstations that'll work just fine as long as they're not so old that they're PCI or AGP or something. It's nice to have at least one of these on hand just for troubleshooting or if you ever want to set up a home server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like there was a3090rtx PCB leak. Lot of rumors still, but does seem to confirm that you would need 3 8-pin power connections for some of the new cards. How do your PSU connections count, termination or origination? For example, I have an 8 (6+2) pin cable that plugs into the PSU and then splits and terminates into two 8 pin plugs; it's that considered two 8-pin connections or does it matter that it's one plug on the PSU split into two?

Edit: thanks for the input on my other GPU question, looks like I'm hunting on the Facebook marketplace for now.