Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I did like the part where Boimler rattles off how his hypothetical future would go if he were reassigned to a research station to study bugs, and he ended up just storyboarding an average TNG-style episode out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Handsome Wife posted:

She seemed not quite as bad in episode 2 as she was in episode 1, but frankly Boimler's whole sad sack tryhard routine is already wearing thin to me. At this point I like Rutherford/Tendi a lot more than Mariner/Boimler but I'm hoping that as the season goes on they can back off the One Defining Characteristic a bit for all four of them.

Oh yeah, two episodes of Boimler starting out as a sad sack tryhard and learning a lesson as a result and then getting reset for the next episode is as much as I'm willing to forgive.

Steward should just do Picard-as-Bullock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IkFB6OuCXE

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The writing's good, the deep cuts are really cool, but goddamn I wish literally anyone else was animation lead.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like CBS put the first episode up on YouTube region-free and, bravely, comments enabled. Guess they liked what they saw from fan reactions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzRGqvRK8U

Starting the second episode now. Weird being excited about a weekly Trek.

That was pretty dire. But I'm not a big Star Trek fan so maybe I was missing a lot of jokes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Comments are now turned off lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Episode was good, I'm glad they're toning down the mile-a-minute references. The only one that was really excessive this time was the repeated mention of Jamaharon. Klingon gagh lady was pretty on-point, though. I did enjoy the way they handled the Ferengi bit, too.

It seems like the writers understand that you can do blatant references without just name-dropping TNG/TOS concepts directly. The throwaway opening with the energy being was a great example - instantly recognizable to TNG fans, but used as a conceptual springboard for the show to do it's comedic take, rather than, say, the bit at the end of the first episode where Mariner literally just name-drops Troi and Gary Mitchell etc. with zero context.

I agree that they need to change up the dynamic between the main characters, but I definitely saw this episode as being more comfortable in its premise than the pilot. I think it's going to settle into a solid show.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

This Show Is Fine

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
What’s the Janeway Maneuver?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Jettison the children

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

multijoe posted:

Comments are now turned off lol

They're still enabled on my end.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The holodeck joke was good because of course in reality people would do in inverse-kobiyashi maru and play about trying to find out just how badly you can screw up a simple scenario.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Commit war crimes

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Alchenar posted:

The holodeck joke was good because of course in reality people would do in inverse-kobiyashi maru and play about trying to find out just how badly you can screw up a simple scenario.

This is the comment that convinced me to watch this show.

It brings back memories of playing Assassin's Creed II 's Venice area and pushing civilians into the water

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gotta admit that I was a little disappointed that they were going with the race essentialism thing with the Ferengi in TYOOL 2020, and glad of the reveal of what was really going on.

Episode was fun, show is good, watching it with my 7 year old he wants to watch it again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like CBS put the first episode up on YouTube region-free and, bravely, comments enabled. Guess they liked what they saw from fan reactions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzRGqvRK8U

Lies. It's absolutely not region free. "Video not available", here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not sure if they excluded certain regions or if they realized they hosed up and locked it down later, but there were tons of international folks in the comments thanking them this morning.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just re-watching bits of it between meetings. Loving the bridge simulator

The kindergarten on deck 8 -- IT'S GONE! NONONO NOW THE PRE-K IS GONE! ALL THE SHIP'S CHILDREN HAVE BEEN EJECTED INTO SPACE!

e: Bomler's research asteroid tirade got a good :lol: out of me

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 13, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just watched Episode 1. It was... Okay? It is very early Futurama, mixed with modern day overly frantic cartoon writing.
It has a lot of potential but I'm not paying for more unless it gets better.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m fine with the characters seeming one-note for a while. You need to establish a solid baseline before you start moving forward or subverting things. I’m looking forward to them bouncing off of each other in different iterations, though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's already gotten better, the pilot episode was trying to cram way too much in, the 2nd episode has better pacing and isn't quite as frantic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought the A-story in the second episode was still a bit too frantic, but the B-story was pleasantly lackadaisical. Overall it felt much better because the B-story was a nice breather whenever it was cut back to.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The B-story wasn't about Rutherford being reset to the status quo so much as reaffirming where he belonged (by way of some comic fish-out-of-water shenanigans) and establishing the slow-boil will they/won't they feelings between him and Tendi.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I also enjoyed the multiple fake-outs. Some people mentioned in the first episode that it was unusual for Trek to show the higher-ups showing such open disdain for the newbies, so having there be multiple instances of the commanding officers and others actually being supportive of Rutherford discovering his true calling was pretty nice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the show always was going to be jammed for its first few episodes. Maybe they'll let it breathe later. I think we can forgive that for now.

From a basic story writing perspective Lower Decks blows Discovery and Picard out of the water so far.

Like, characters other than Boimler and Mariner are allowed to have scenes. And things happen in each episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m really enjoying this a lot, and honestly it’s got a ton of heart in its characters already. There have been many lols. The music is really good, especially the bit during the fight simulator. The little motif at the start of the episode is so TNG era it’s perfect.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I also enjoyed the multiple fake-outs. Some people mentioned in the first episode that it was unusual for Trek to show the higher-ups showing such open disdain for the newbies, so having there be multiple instances of the commanding officers and others actually being supportive of Rutherford discovering his true calling was pretty nice.

This was a great bit, and showed off exactly how supportive Starfleet should be. It’s surprisingly on brand for a Trek comedy series.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The only LDS character I dislike is Mariner, but that's because she's written to so much of a rules-breaking badass ace that she comes off as a Mary Sue more than anything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Section 31 would power walk, yes. :hmmyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All Lower Decks has down so far is make me miss The Orville even more. If you’re going to do Trek parody you can at least make it feel like a genuine homage instead of just machine-gunning “boy it sure is crazy how Star Trek DOES THIS can you believe it?!” jokes in the hope that every 10th one lands.

The jokes in LD so far are exactly the kind of surface level poo poo I expected from the guy behind the TNG S8 twitter.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Not sure if they excluded certain regions or if they realized they hosed up and locked it down later, but there were tons of international folks in the comments thanking them this morning.

The latter, because I saw it and then I couldn't look at it again about an hour later.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Section 31 would power walk, yes. :hmmyes:

I really wanted to hate this joke but it's so true

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Count me in the Mariner is annoying, B Plot was good camp.

But the best part of the season so far was the opening with the energy being.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

New thread title suggestion:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Ship destroyed. Casualties 105%.

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Banana, Hot.

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Give me your profit!

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Try employing the Janeway Protocol.

Modern Star Trek Megathread: All the ship's children have been ejected into space (this one wouldn't fit but IMO would be the most representative of the general tone of Modern Trek)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 13, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also nice Picard throwback :laffo:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's gotta be "Banana. Hot."

Mariner is just annoying because she hasn't received any come-uppance yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Man, some of you are so keen to hate on LDS. I was looking up the cast on IMDb and accidentally looked at the user reviews. They’re so full of vitriol it honestly can’t be healthy. Don’t be like them. It’s not meant to be deep, it’s just jokey fun in a pre-existing universe you already know the rules to.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Man, some of you are so keen to hate on LDS. I was looking up the cast on IMDb and accidentally looked at the user reviews. They’re so full of vitriol it honestly can’t be healthy. Don’t be like them. It’s not meant to be deep, it’s just jokey fun in a pre-existing universe you already know the rules to.

I’m just saying the jokes are extremely lazy and not very clever.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also nice Picard throwback :laffo:

At the end of Ep1, Mariner tells Boimler, "Sulu rocked a sword. You should do that, we're due for a new sword guy.". I immediately thought "What about Elnor?"

I quickly realized that Mariner may not know about Elnor because this happens before ST:Picard, but the writers definitely knew when they threw that line in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I will admit part of me is fascinated from a people-watching perspective by these kinds of folks who want to want to live in their own misery so much that they cut it open with a butter knife and just craw right into its guts.

It also speaks to larger, more deep seated issues in their lives, and it almost makes me wish I'd majored in psychology just so that I had the proper metrics to understand it all with.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i fight with people i disagree with electronically. it makes me feel powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Mariner is just annoying because she hasn't received any come-uppance yet.

I thought her comeuppance was getting demoted and kicked off her prestigious first contact ship, and then sent to the dregs of Starfleet to wallow bitterly in bureaucratic obscurity.