Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You have never properly lure fished until you hook a brand new $20 lure on a snag and lose it on the first cast.

(Join in my pain.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Using a small rebel crickhopper which is kind of a crankbait topwater hybrid and they have been going nuts for it. Pulled ten fish out of the river with it in a few hours a couple days ago and it has since been dubbed my lucky lure

e: as a bonus it was on clearance for $1.84 at walmart!

rap music fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 11, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

You have never properly lure fished until you hook a brand new $20 lure on a snag and lose it on the first cast.

(Join in my pain.)

Try setting it to the side while rerigging rods and then accidentally throwing it away while cleaning. Poor whopper plopper, I had thrown you maybe a dozen times. :saddowns:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Just pulled this guy out of a pond me and the kids fish

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Another nice fish! What kind of tackle?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
It was a spook. Been trying to teach myself to walk them across top water. I hit a couple nice smaller ones on a rage tail worm but when the sun ducked behind the trees I tied on the spook. It was blue on top with a yellow belly. I guess that's in the bluegill color family. He blew up like 3 feet from shore and I about came out of my shoes.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

oh ya that there's a good un!

hey everybody watch this topwater highlight reel cuz it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLFjS_6nLc

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

rap music posted:

oh ya that there's a good un!

hey everybody watch this topwater highlight reel cuz it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLFjS_6nLc

confirmed

also this dude is soothing as hell to listen to

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
NDYakAngler is my favourite fishing channel by far, dude is so cool and is constantly catching monster smallies. He's put a lot of effort into getting great audio on his videos and it makes them so nice to watch.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

drat son, at least nsfw that poo poo.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have a canoe rod holder recommendation for trolling for walleye?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

rndmnmbr posted:

(Join in my pain.)

Or get a wind knot as you sling a 1.5oz brand new lure, it catches in an eye just enough to shock the line and snap.

Or trolling a massive plug for grouper, your buddy hooks up and the fish runs to your line and cuts it with their gill plate.

prom candy posted:

NDYakAngler is my favourite fishing channel by far, dude is so cool and is constantly catching monster smallies. He's put a lot of effort into getting great audio on his videos and it makes them so nice to watch.

That dudes videos are a daily watch for me, just so zen. Really makes me want to visit, a big pike and a muskie are on my bucket list.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

what is a good goon kayak

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
how much money do you have and what kind of water are you fishing and how big are you?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Also how long do you feel like waiting or spending over sticker

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I like lazy rivers and am generally considered a large human at 6’4” 230lbs, no idea what an appropriate price is though

drfunk
Mar 15, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

(Join in my pain.)

I did this with my one and only Jackhammer. I had been fishing a spot with a regular chatterbait with some luck and no snags. So i figured it was finally safe to bring out the jackhammer I had got for Christmas and paired a Zako on the back. I got snagged first cast. It was a gut punch. Somehow, I also misplaced the almost full bag of Zakos that night as well.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

rap music posted:

I like lazy rivers and am generally considered a large human at 6’4” 230lbs, no idea what an appropriate price is though

Where do you live? Approximately.

You should be able to find a simple boat to start out on for $400 or less. You don't need a Fishing Kayak to fish from a kayak, much less to start out. I fished for years out of my Old Town Voyager and never once had the urge to get a Fishing Kayak, but I did farkle it a little bit as I went. I think I paid ~$325 for it brand new at Dick's in 2007.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 13, 2020

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where do you live? Approximately.

You should be able to find a simple boat to start out on for $400 or less. You don't need a Fishing Kayak to fish from a kayak, much less to start out. I fished for years out of my Old Town Voyager and never once had the urge to get a Fishing Kayak, but I did farkle it a little bit as I went. I think I paid ~$325 for it brand new at Dick's in 2007.

Mid Atlantic. I think you're right as my gear is limited to a single spinning rod and a fanny pack. I guess my main concern is getting something that cuts through current but won't immediately sink when I sit in it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

rap music posted:

Mid Atlantic. I think you're right as my gear is limited to a single spinning rod and a fanny pack. I guess my main concern is getting something that cuts through current but won't immediately sink when I sit in it.

I have about 20lbs on you and even the hardware store kayaks hold me just fine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

rap music posted:

I don't know anything about the modern sit on top and hybrid kayaks and canoe things that have been booming the last few years, but they all seem to be pretty stable and capacious. I've personally always been a classic canoe and sit-in rec kayak guy, but I don't weigh much. Used to be that sit-in rec boats were superior for straight tracking and holding lines, but it seems like tech for human powered boats has come a long way in the last decade.
Just randomly searching on Craigslist came up with this one, which has decent reviews on paddling.net. It doesn't seem to have much of a keel, so might take a little work to keep tracking straight.

This one is priced high but it's nicely kitted. You couldn't stand in it comfortably, and it'll have the classic kayak tippiness. I'm a stan for Old Town boats though. That one in particular is short and round, so probably not the best for straight tracking across flat water.

This Old Town Dirigo is a little pricey but would absolutely hold your weight, be easy to fish out of, and track straight. Out of the three, I'd pick it for myself if I was in the market.

Prices are high in your area, maybe it's a COVID thing.

Also here's a good effort post from the paddle boat thread:

Yooper posted:

Avoid anything that started life at a Walmart or Menards. Even a bargain outdoors store like a Dunhams can get Perception or other mid tier brands. I've had kayaks all the way from a Skerray 17' to my current Perception sit on top. I found that I never needed what the Skerray was capable of, rarely need what my mid-tier Tsunami 140 was capable of, and am very happy with my sit on top Perception Pescador. For your use I'd look at a 12' boat, but when you say touring I think longer skinnier boats. The longer the boat the narrower they can make the whole thing (which reduces drag) so you can paddle it further with less effort. But the initial stability is reduced. A beginner really likes high initial stability, where someone with great paddle control excels in a boat with less initial stability. The longer the boat the better tracking (usually) but it will also maneuver a bit slower.

Something like a Pungo 12 is a pretty chill unit with a decently comfortable seat. You can still buy a skirt for it if you desire. It'll have a single bulkhead for some gear, but you won't be storing much gear in it. My uncle has a few Pungos and virtually anyone can jump right in, paddle, and have fun. There is also a Tsunami 12.5 that is higher performance. (And narrower cockpit) I really liked my Tsunami 140, so I bet the 125 is a good boat too. A friend had an Old Town 14' and it paddled like a milk crate, I could consistently outpace him even though I am in worse shape, the hull form sucked. I've used Wilderness Systems stuff as an example because it's pretty common and you can explore alternatives yourself.

I've never kayak'd the Apostles but Lake Superior is a special kind of animal. I'm near Pictured Rocks and without fail, every year, someone gets in trouble using a totally inadequate Sun Dolphin 8 foot or some dumb Walmart boat. Usually it's August and they are close enough to shore to not die. There is all sorts of signage posted now about it and that has helped. But even in August hypothermia is very real for anything away from shore. Make sure you are very comfortable with self rescue and probably wear a wet suit if you are straying any distance from the cliffs.

PM me if you ever end up in the UP, I can put you on some good kayaking.

Have you considered a stand up paddle board? My wife has an NRS Baron that I use sometimes and it's a great fishing platform. It's 4" thick, and the 6" version is even more stable and higher weight capacity. Not nearly as fast as a kayak, and poo poo in the wind on open water comparatively. You get wetter and moving is harder work, but they are the simplest watercraft there is and they can't sink.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 13, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's a good budget all arounder 5 wt fly line? I probably fish more streamers and nymphs than dry, but poppers and hoppers too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What's a good budget all arounder 5 wt fly line? I probably fish more streamers and nymphs than dry, but poppers and hoppers too.

RIO Gold is probably the most popular but isn’t very budget friendly. Looking around, Orvis Clearwater looks like a pretty solid option if you’re looking to save some ducats.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Depends on what you mean by budget. Scientific anglers is probably the best quality per dollar.

If you're going to spend money on flyfishing gear, you'll get the highest quality of life improvement by buying really nice fly line. I'd much rather cast a cheapo WalMart fly rod with high quality line than vice versa.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Add my name to the dickspoon leaderboard.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dik Hz posted:

Depends on what you mean by budget. Scientific anglers is probably the best quality per dollar.

If you're going to spend money on flyfishing gear, you'll get the highest quality of life improvement by buying really nice fly line. I'd much rather cast a cheapo WalMart fly rod with high quality line than vice versa.

Uhhh budget like under $50. I'm thinking WF floating is best. Scientific Anglers has a couple that fit all that. I just can't justify much more than that right now since I need some critical motorcycle stuff.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Uhhh budget like under $50. I'm thinking WF floating is best. Scientific Anglers has a couple that fit all that. I just can't justify much more than that right now since I need some critical motorcycle stuff.
I've bought several of the $45 price point Scientific Anglers line and they'll all performed well.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Add my name to the dickspoon leaderboard.

Very nice!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Where should I shop for tackle? There's a Dick's nearby but Cabela's isn't. Are Amazon prices good? I've heard of Tackle Warehouse too. Best price would be great so I don't feel AS stupid casting into a tree.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

KingKapalone posted:

Where should I shop for tackle? There's a Dick's nearby but Cabela's isn't. Are Amazon prices good? I've heard of Tackle Warehouse too. Best price would be great so I don't feel AS stupid casting into a tree.

cabela's online is decent, tackle warehouse is good but pretty much only for bass stuff.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dik Hz posted:

I've bought several of the $45 price point Scientific Anglers line and they'll all performed well.

Thanks, their boost stuff looks like it'll do the job.

KingKapalone posted:

Don't turn your nose up at Walmart for some basic rear end tackle.
Also search for local bait shops if you want to do the small business thing and maybe get a tip or two.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Dick's is a good resource. If you have time to wait and don't mind generic things, AliExpress and eBay have lots of inexpensive stuff. Also depending on what you're looking for, one of us might already have five of them and could part with one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It would be nice to do one larger order online. Want to get equipped for a Boundary Waters canoe trip at the end of September. Big order was to hit any shipping thresholds there might be at any smaller sites, but if it's just Amazon or going into Walmart or Dick's, then I guess I can do that. Honestly I get overwhelmed or lost trying to search for specific things that they might not even have there.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

It would be nice to do one larger order online. Want to get equipped for a Boundary Waters canoe trip at the end of September. Big order was to hit any shipping thresholds there might be at any smaller sites, but if it's just Amazon or going into Walmart or Dick's, then I guess I can do that. Honestly I get overwhelmed or lost trying to search for specific things that they might not even have there.

You could shop the Dick's website and do in-store pickup. Could be the best of both worlds there.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Walmart is cheaper than amazon for a lot of stuff

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The best catching rattletrap I ever had was a Wal-Mart discount. It just so happened to look more like an actual shad than anything else I had, which made it good for Lake Meredith.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

KingKapalone posted:

I've heard of Tackle Warehouse too.

I've spent a shameful amount of money at Tackle Warehouse. A+ site, especially if you live in California and you can get the $5.75 overnight shipping.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

joem83 posted:

I've spent a shameful amount of money at Tackle Warehouse. A+ site, especially if you live in California and you can get the $5.75 overnight shipping.

that's one thing I forgot to mention about them - they're pretty slow to to ship sometimes. I put in an order and they didn't even pack it up for a couple days, and then another few to get to me. Cabela's has poo poo to me in 2 days mostly.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

drat i wish i had a dick spoon. ive done almost no fishing this year at all actually, due to being in my last term of college. hope to get out and grab a few of the early fall resurgent bass tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'll check out Dick's online first then. Any good fishing apps to recommend? Trying to decide what our route for Boundary Waters will be and camping by some good spots would be nice.