Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I know that that's the point, what I was saying was the the song adds that extra layer, because the audience likely won't be paying attention to the lyrics, more how the song is used. I didn't know the actual words until I looked up a lyric sheet, so I hadn't picked up on that aspect of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I know that that's the point, what I was saying was the the song adds that extra layer, because the audience likely won't be paying attention to the lyrics, more how the song is used. I didn't know the actual words until I looked up a lyric sheet, so I hadn't picked up on that aspect of the song.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't. I'm just praising that part of the movie as well.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Robindaybird posted:

This doesn't bold well.

Tl;dr: Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko walked out of the ATLA live action series because it stopped being the show they wanted it to be and they couldn't do a thing about it.

I feel bad for Mike and Bryan, they got dicked around by Nick when they were making Korra, to the point where we got a goddamn clip episode in the middle of season 4, a season that already was shortened because Nick wanted the series wrapped up. There's all the various things with the movie that kind of cost us a 4th season of TLA, not to mention the movie turning out to be a giant turd. Now this

What did Aaron

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Robindaybird posted:

This doesn't bold well.

Tl;dr: Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko walked out of the ATLA live action series because it stopped being the show they wanted it to be and they couldn't do a thing about it.

"Doesn't bode well" is an understatement.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Aces High posted:

I feel bad for Mike and Bryan, they got dicked around by Nick when they were making Korra, to the point where we got a goddamn clip episode in the middle of season 4, a season that already was shortened because Nick wanted the series wrapped up.

I dunno Korra was lucky it got as many seasons as it did. Its ratings tanked despite starting out strong in the ratings. It wasn't like it was some obscure show that was failing because nobody knew about it. People stopped watching because it was bad. There are plenty of shows that got cancelled for bad reasons, but Korra wasn't one of them.

The last airbender movie stuff sucks though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That's true, Korra struggled a lot, especially when it came to wrapping up each season (though season 3 seemed to finally get that figured out) but the tv ratings for season 3 on was just a poo poo situation for everyone involved. The first half got leaked online so Nick acted fast and premiered the season with little notice and was airing 2 episodes at a time. Because the ratings weren't amazing (but was doing fine online) Nick moved the show to Nicktoons for the end of season 3 and kept it there for season 4.

Basically it got Firefly-ed but hey, at least Bryan and Mike got to wrap up her story instead of...whatever Serenity was supposed to be

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, Korra was originally envisioned as a one-season sequel series.

I won’t defend season 2 outside of the Avatar Wan sequence, though :v:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My wife is watching Avatar right now for the first time and one thing I adore is that magic and spirits are truly bizarre and only understood in their most broadest strokes. Magic in Avatar feels weird and scary, but I think Korra did a bit too much explaining. The spiritual elements just ended up feeling convoluted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It sucks they didn't get to go full circle and do an Earth and Fire Avatar series.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife is watching Avatar right now for the first time and one thing I adore is that magic and spirits are truly bizarre and only understood in their most broadest strokes.

I’m so glad they didn’t feature Koh any more prominently. It was perfectly terrifying and inscrutable and knowing any more could only diminish that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...is it just me or does that open letter feel like it's trying to be as vague as possible about what they disagreed on?

like, it's entirely possible that they're NDA'd and can't talk about it, but i can't help but wonder if we're being manipulated here a little.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...is it just me or does that open letter feel like it's trying to be as vague as possible about what they disagreed on?

like, it's entirely possible that they're NDA'd and can't talk about it, but i can't help but wonder if we're being manipulated here a little.
I mean to be clear there is absolutely no doubt they're NDA-ed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I mean is there any reason to think Mike and Bryan are suddenly super chuds and that's what they refused to budge on, other than sheer cynicism. Think what you will about Korra, but it's not a misunderstanding of the original series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Not really what I was implying- I'm more suspicious that the thing they wouldn't budge on is something stupid, or would make them look somewhat unreasonable.

That said, yeah, it's probably as vague as it is because they're NDA'd to the gills.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, yeah, maybe Netflix wanted to make more of a loose adaptation of Avatar than a faithful live-action recreation and that's why they left. I'm pretty doubtful, but maybe it's just a matter of two equally good ideas being incompatible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

As much as I’d enjoy a live action ATLA, I imagine they’d have to make it different enough from the cartoon to be worth making in the first place.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I bought a popeye color blu ray and folks, it is beautiful. The scripts seem a lot more refined than the ones in the 1930s, The animation is loose in a very solid sort of doughy, spotty sense. A lot of them really feel like visual jazz, there's one where they go to rio and the music really knocks that one up some pegs. If only all cartoons were short form, thaetrical, and everyone made bank.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/jeannette_ng/status/1293741915897303041?s=19

https://twitter.com/jeannette_ng/status/1293744373478416391?s=19

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...er, they straight up weren't involved in the Shyamalan movie, period, from what I'm aware. How the gently caress is that their fault, exactly?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Posting twitter hot takes is cheating.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's dumb to make the same thing over and over again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FunkyAl posted:

It's dumb to make the same thing over and over again.

I agree that an ATLA Netflix series was always an unwanted thing for a lot of reasons, the recent news just tips expectations to "catastrophic" instead of just mediocre and forgotten in a month.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...er, they straight up weren't involved in the Shyamalan movie, period, from what I'm aware. How the gently caress is that their fault, exactly?

Yeah they did not have the clout to have much say, in fact they admitted they were forbidden from criticizing the movie until a few years ago.

Even Shyamalan doesn't deserve all the blame as it sounded like a lot of the studio executives meddled hard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone please post the Earthbending gif.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
lmao

from the bakshi facebook group: a fan wanted to do a caricature of trump and wasn't sure where to begin, so

quote:

so to my surprise, i emailed Ralph Bakshi and told him my problem and actually got back his own words on how he'd draw trump as a cartoon.

he said he'd draw him either "as a fart" or "a piece of poo poo"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i sat in on a charity zoom interview with bakshi and there was a fan cartooning competition (i didn't win) where his chosen topic was "trump getting chased by coronavirus". he was also strident about his fans getting out there and marching for blm :3:

one of the hosts let slip that his day job is "teaching etiquette to kids in harlem" and bakshi's response was great, he flung himself back in his chair and went DOHOHOHOHO THOSE KIDS ARE GONNA BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF YOU (the host then specified that by "etiquette", he mostly meant, how to handle cops without getting killed)

dude has the best laugh in the animation industry. he's like santa claus. i love him

fauna fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 14, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I came across this. It feels a bit off, since how the heck did these people get this information if the creators are under NDA? But anyway:
https://twitter.com/aangvengers/status/1294092832085544963?s=19

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

quote:

2) Netflix wanted to open the casting to white people
:cripes:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah they did not have the clout to have much say, in fact they admitted they were forbidden from criticizing the movie until a few years ago.

Even Shyamalan doesn't deserve all the blame as it sounded like a lot of the studio executives meddled hard.

True, but the studio's worst decision was letting Shyamalan write and co-produce it instead of just directing it, so.

(Like seriously why did he have to write it, it was already written)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Lemming posted:

True, but the studio's worst decision was letting Shyamalan write and co-produce it instead of just directing it, so.

(Like seriously why did he have to write it, it was already written)

Because he’s an AUTEUR.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

can I emptyquote this forever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The source on the Avatar rumours is apparently dodgy and might be making poo poo up. That said, I don't find it hard to believe anyway. Netflix might look at 'popular fantasy series' and see 'the next Game of Thrones'.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

paradoxGentleman posted:

I came across this. It feels a bit off, since how the heck did these people get this information if the creators are under NDA? But anyway:
https://twitter.com/aangvengers/status/1294092832085544963?s=19

This has been deleted. What did it say?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PriorMarcus posted:

This has been deleted. What did it say?

Basically that 1: Bryke wanted more budget 2: Netflix want to open up casting to white people and 3: Netflix wants more sex and violence.

Given it's been deleted, I suspect they realized the "Leaks" might not be true.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the "leaker" is a sexual predator and Nazi, do not even take him with a grain of salt, assume literally nothing he said is true

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The vfx budget for an Avatar live action series would have to be goddamn huge to actually pull off anything like the cartoon. The feature film effects even looked sorta poo poo, now imagine that budget spread over 10 episodes. Even if they spend double what The Witcher got it'll still look like garbage.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the "leaker" is a sexual predator and Nazi, do not even take him with a grain of salt, assume literally nothing he said is true
poo poo! sorry, thanks for letting us know

(the white people thing will probably turn out to be true, but that's not to his credit, he's just trying to stir poo poo up)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ccs posted:

The vfx budget for an Avatar live action series would have to be goddamn huge to actually pull off anything like the cartoon. The feature film effects even looked sorta poo poo, now imagine that budget spread over 10 episodes. Even if they spend double what The Witcher got it'll still look like garbage.

Do the whole thing Ember Island Players style

On a random note, was watching Digimon Adventure for the first time since it was originally on air, I'd mostly forgotten how real the show could actually get, even in just the first couple episodes you've got the kids actually reacting fairly sensibly and realistically to the crazy circumstances they're in, the older one desperately trying to be responsible but also having the most trouble accepting the reality of their circumstances, and already some heavy stuff like the half-brothers trying to connect. (and from the way the characters act, I get the feeling divorce is a very touchy subject in Japan)

And now I'm wondering what Stephen Spielberg would make of Digimon.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I've read somewhere that the oldest kid's intense desire to find a grown up and/or take responsibility for the younger ones makes a lot more sense through the lenses of Japanese culture.

Not that it's an unreasonable instinct in a Western kid, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The dub doesn't exactly downplay it, with Joe's reactions honestly being entirely understandable when you look at the situation from his perspective- and his desire to take responsibility isn't treated as a bad thing at all, given it's his whole crest deal. And pretty much speaks to the theme of how teenagers want to feel more grown up, especially when surrounded by younger kids. (even by just a few years)

While I can see why later Digimon series cut back on the cast numbers, Digimon Adventure's kids are actually a pretty diverse and fleshed out bunch personality-wise, and nearly every kid watching could probably relate to at least one or two.