Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The White Dragon posted:

unfortunately, i don't have any other recommendations for you. are your gpu drivers up to date? not that it ought to make that much of a difference, but it could, right?

Thanks for the recommendation, I realize now that I am running on drivers that are exactly one year old(!?)

I hope that this might be it but I'm not counting on it (again, no other game has these performance issues). The other data point to check is that I've only been playing multiplayer games, I suppose I can see if a single player game starts doing that in the 100+ turn range, maybe this is some weird thing with the netcode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chamale posted:

It could go along with my mod idea where global warming causes desertification, so that the endgame can actually result in your country getting hosed up instead of "you lose because you didn't colonize space fastest."

you do know they did this in civ 4 right?

you know how one Ironclad in civ 6 will take the global warming track to maximum in one turn? it turns out, firaxis accidentally created this exact problem fifteen years ago too! what would happen was, the AI would build one--JUST ONE--nuclear plant. but every turn, every nuke plant in the world would roll a kill event check, and if it failed, that plant would explode and the hidden global warming track would advance as if a nuclear weapon had been detonated, and dozens of desert tiles would start appearing every turn, all over the world, after that.

this is a bad idea, please learn from the history of our foolish ancestors

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The White Dragon posted:

you do know they did this in civ 4 right?

you know how one Ironclad in civ 6 will take the global warming track to maximum in one turn? it turns out, firaxis accidentally created this exact problem fifteen years ago too! what would happen was, the AI would build one--JUST ONE--nuclear plant. but every turn, every nuke plant in the world would roll a kill event check, and if it failed, that plant would explode and the hidden global warming track would advance as if a nuclear weapon had been detonated, and dozens of desert tiles would start appearing every turn, all over the world, after that.

this is a bad idea, please learn from the history of our foolish ancestors

Yes, and I loved it when that happened in Civ IV. I think hexes are a big improvement over squares, but the possibility of a manmade apocalypse is something I really miss. The numbers just need a bit of tweaking.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the numbers need more fine tuning than you or i are getting paid for, friend

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

If you absolutely body the AI enough in wars, pillaging the hell out of them and killing lots of units, and getting Cities to low HP without taking them then you can get Cities traded to you in peace deals which means no grievances/warmonger accumulation. So there's also that.

I had no idea the AI would ever trade away cities. I will definitely try this out next game I fire up.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The White Dragon posted:

the numbers need more fine tuning than you or i are getting paid for, friend

I made a few mods for Civ V, the nice thing is that the code is very responsive to changes so you don't have to fine-tune a bunch of bullshit, you can just plug in some new numbers and everything adjusts accordingly. The problem is I don't know if changing yields with climate change levels is even a possibility with the way Civ VI is set up, but I'm going to take a look at the databases and see what I see.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I realize now that I am running on drivers that are exactly one year old(!?)

I hope that this might be it but I'm not counting on it (again, no other game has these performance issues). The other data point to check is that I've only been playing multiplayer games, I suppose I can see if a single player game starts doing that in the 100+ turn range, maybe this is some weird thing with the netcode

The game runs really well for me and I feel like I haven't seen too many complaints about performance. Maybe new drivers will help. What are your specs?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Albino Squirrel posted:

Is there a reason why the map seeds I'm putting in wind up coming up with a different map than what the poster has? I'm trying to get the Mayan "city next to 4 luxuries" achievement and despite putting in what I'm finding in this thread (lol reddit) it comes up with something reliably different. Putting the map as huge, primordial, abundant resources/legendary start as they detail in the post.

It's probably because he did that in an earlier version of the game. I just tried this and it didn't work for me either. He did it in version 1.0.1.501 but the current version is 1.03.31.
Edit: There is a spot lower to the left from your starting position that you can use to get the cheevo. It's super bad for a city though since there are constant droughts right there.
Settler difficulty, primordial map, huge, abundant resources, legendary start. Nothing else, don't activate the secret societies or anything.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 14, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm struggling to get a handle on this game but I did manage to pick up the strategy of keeping an eye on how much money the other civs have and then selling them luxuries to keep them poor. I used to hoard my luxuries.

Adjacencies, and all the myriad ways to boost them... this is what I'm working on now. There are so many ways these things interact, and my old method of just building everything possible in every city on every tile was not a good way to deal with it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Ladies and Gentlemen and non-binary folk.

I have a gift for you.

Now, we've all had bad starts in this game. Poor resources, in the middle of jungles, whatever.

But I started a game that I think beats them all.

Please find under the link, rolling snake eyes on the starting location like NONE other.

https://imgur.com/Rn5bP8R

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I see they've implemented in-game social distancing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Samovar posted:

I have a gift for you.

Now, we've all had bad starts in this game. Poor resources, in the middle of jungles, whatever.

Please find under the link, rolling snake eyes on the starting location like NONE other.

Wow, that makes this start look positively luxurious

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh, and I meant to post this "amazing" starting location last night

That was a restart

I really wish you could use rivers to navigate through mountains after discovering Shipbuilding

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

I can’t bring myself to use nukes or even pillage. Why declare war if you’re not going to take all their pretty districts and improvements and put them to better use in your militant communist utopia?

Because Montezuma's trifling rear end wants to start with me every game he shows up and I'm tired of his bullshit.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Samovar posted:

I have a gift for you.

Build an encampment outside your city and conquer the world from your super villain impenetrable mountain lair.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Samovar posted:

I have a gift for you.

As soon as you get military engineers and chemistry you can get out of there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Samovar posted:

I have a gift for you.

Please tell us you still have the save!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

As soon as you get military engineers and chemistry you can get out of there.

Hell, you can get out with Bronze Working if you buy a tile outside it and start building an army out of an encampment.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Continuing my tour through this game having not played for 3+ years and never being super good at it, i absolutely romped through a game on King as Alexander. Actually easier than the Hungary game (although it felt less "gamey" because I wasn't shifting the suzerain governor every 5 turns and levying troops), I just started cranking out the UUs and steamrolled the whole map. I was into future tech while other civs were still throwing out cuirassiers. Absolutely nuts how good it was at domination.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I recently spent a couple hours rerolling starts to get the best possible seeds for a speedrun starting in the Ancient era. Here are two absurdly good ones:

Terra, Small, 6 players, Gran Colombia, you can choose number of city-states, speed, and difficulty, all other settings default. Game Seed: -1689648713, Map Seed: -1689648712

Terra, Small, 6 players, China, you can choose number of city-states, speed, and difficulty, all other settings default. Game seed: 1726481140, Map Seed: 1726481141.

Some other leaders will get the same location if they have a similar start bias, but I'm not sure which ones.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Reveilled posted:

Please tell us you still have the save!

Seriously, I want to see a bunch of us attempt to win from this state. I find myself rerolling a lot in solo play but it would be fun to have a game where all the goons start from the same place and see how we develop from there.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Man I cannot get Tamar to work. I'm trying to get all the leader achievements but Georgia just isn't clicking for me. the faith bonuses aren't enough to get enough Apostles out to that the envoy bonus is good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

PaybackJack posted:

Seriously, I want to see a bunch of us attempt to win from this state. I find myself rerolling a lot in solo play but it would be fun to have a game where all the goons start from the same place and see how we develop from there.

Sorry to disappoint. I didn't think ANYONE would want that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Samovar posted:

Sorry to disappoint. I didn't think ANYONE would want that.

Someone that's bored and wants to take initiative should roll up a game like this.

Do you remember what the parameters were that gave you such a starting location? Low sea level?

The other guy was playing new Teddy which I think is probably a solid pick since it would at least guarantee that your tiles have some great yields.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

The Little Death posted:

Man I cannot get Tamar to work. I'm trying to get all the leader achievements but Georgia just isn't clicking for me. the faith bonuses aren't enough to get enough Apostles out to that the envoy bonus is good.
If you have Secret Societies, then Voidsinger Tamar is OP as all hell. The extra faith from the Old Gods Obelisk + a holy site in every city just cranks out faith.

Religious Unity or Papal Primacy really help the envoy/religion game; I used Papal Primacy and had, like, 17 envoys in any city I'd converted. This allows you to focus your apostles on your non-converted city-states and opponents.

It helped that my strongest faith opponent was my neighbour, Peter. Once I'd converted him to the siren song of CthuluEastern Orthodoxy in the late Medieval, then I could take my time building up apostle armies to sweep over the rest of the world.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This is my 10:45 speedrun from the Ancient era, small map on Prince difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvZ8VvHWv4

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Albino Squirrel posted:

If you have Secret Societies, then Voidsinger Tamar is OP as all hell. The extra faith from the Old Gods Obelisk + a holy site in every city just cranks out faith.

I think that's the Voidsingers doing the heavy lifting though, they're just like that, and no more OP with Tamar specifically than they'd be otherwise. I recently paired her in a recent game with Owls actually, extra Economic Slot helps make Monarchy really good with her and trade routes help with setting up city state control.

The Little Death posted:

The faith bonus' really aren't all there in the early game to get rolling. Gotta pick good beliefs and such for spreading religion as normal rather than rely on her being able to boost your faith output.

The trick with leveraging the envoy bonus is being strategic with city states you're aiming to convert. No need for apostles if you're locking early CS in place with missionaries + the diplocard for x2 your first sent envoy, etc. Also the ability specifies your majority religion, meaning you can use it without ever founding one and being converted, and if your opponents are converting CS' to their religion they're doing all the work for you.

Otherwise, Protector War and their faith boost can pair well if timed right with Grand Masters Chapel to faith buy armies and the walls thing can help turtling, rather than is something that helps a religion game in all honesty.

All in all she takes a bit of getting used to but can lean towards a couple of flexible victory directions due. I think someone posted a no Campus' science win on Deity once that was wild.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Chamale posted:

This is my 10:45 speedrun from the Ancient era, small map on Prince difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvZ8VvHWv4

That's nifty. I would have thought a 1v1 domination strat would be quicker. What were the rules for the speed challenge? All setting normals given the map setup?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

PaybackJack posted:

That's nifty. I would have thought a 1v1 domination strat would be quicker. What were the rules for the speed challenge? All setting normals given the map setup?

I mean it'd be quicker but the point seems to still have 5 AI.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PaybackJack posted:

You need 5 AI on a small map. Ancient% is a new category meant to resemble a normal game of Civ a bit more. The record for fastest 1v1 domination victory is slightly under three seconds.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Played as Scottish hermetic order over the weekend. The ley lines get instance once you unlock the ability to get yields based on great people earned. Gonna have to try that with Brazil next I think.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah the ley lines are super fun. The alchemical society great person points are just huge.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

New free features - tech and civic randomization and (this is what I'm excited about!) selecting what natural wonders may appear. That's super fun!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIZD0gKIyk

Oh boy the random techs and civics tree sounds quite interesting. :allears:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Super Jay Mann posted:

That sounded dumb on its face, but I guess it offers more points where you'd have to adapt to circumstances.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yea I'm into this, I'm at the point with my Civ life where I'm just ticking as many chaos boxes as I can to change things up and force me to play differently than the obvious routes, so blind research is very appealing to me. Also selecting natural wonders is great, if only because I can finally kill the white cliffs once and for all :argh:

I really like that instead of pushing out Civ 7 they're taking this slower approach that lets them experiment.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Blind Research is a mode that appeals to me. Not somethIng I'd play all the time but a cool idea that will be fun to play a few times. It's also something that's going to make watching some stream games really interesting.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

i wonder why he just couldnt say “Alpha Centauri” when talking about a certian 4x game

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Blind research, upon thinking about it, would probably make a fun new challenge for Deity players. So much of the strategy is slingshotting to a key tech or civic while ignoring every other one and this way it's now much much harder to do that.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My only hangup is how Eurekas/Inspirations are handled. The most straightforward way would be to just have them work as normal regardless of whether the specified tech is uncovered or not, but it's gonna make it a bit more difficult to figure out whether you've accomplished a certain E/I or not until that tech actually shows up. I know many times I'm not even really paying attention to which of those I get unless I'm specifically targetting them currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Super Jay Mann posted:

My only hangup is how Eurekas/Inspirations are handled. The most straightforward way would be to just have them work as normal regardless of whether the specified tech is uncovered or not, but it's gonna make it a bit more difficult to figure out whether you've accomplished a certain E/I or not until that tech actually shows up. I know many times I'm not even really paying attention to which of those I get unless I'm specifically targetting them currently.

wait what are the changes there?