Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Carecat posted:

I don't remember Alan Wake being anything other than endless running around with a flashlight and bad combat.

i just remember the terrible terrible writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Oldstench posted:

Dying Light is $13.50. Is it worth a purchase? I bounced off of Dead Island and Dead Rising but enjoyed State of Decay.

You start off running around like Faith from Mirror Edge and then end up becoming zombie head stomping Spiderman.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

goferchan posted:

what are your items? There is one that raises the value of a cell whenever you target it with a magic item. This can be beneficial for items that have effects based on the value of the target cell

I don't think I had any magic items active, it was my first run so I was just playing some basic minesweeper. It looks like there's a lot more systems in the game than I'd realised though so I reckon it's more likely to be one of those that I'd overlooked rather than some crazy bug.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Party Boat posted:

I don't think I had any magic items active, it was my first run so I was just playing some basic minesweeper. It looks like there's a lot more systems in the game than I'd realised though so I reckon it's more likely to be one of those that I'd overlooked rather than some crazy bug.

Yeah you probably had the "fake" modifier which makes a couple cells just lie to you. You can see the stage mods listed before you enter the stage. That's often a dangerous one and it's pretty rare to get on an early quest, but it also counts as a "difficult" mod which means you get more loot and rarer loot when it's on a stage.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

What a weird world we live in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Epic apparently already filed an antitrust against Apple over this. That might really blow up or it might turn out to do nothing at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did they release instructions on how to install Fortnite without using the app store or something?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They included a direct payment method that circumvents the app store somehow, which the terms of use explicitly forbid apps from doing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Det_no posted:

this is like when a tv channel is getting dropped from some service and they start running banners to call your cable provider if you want to keep lifetime 3 or whatever

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Kibayasu posted:

Did they release instructions on how to install Fortnite without using the app store or something?
They basically told users that they should pay Epic directly for cosmetics instead of using the in-app purchase system that goes through Apple, because Apple takes a 30% cut of all those purchases and Epic needs More Money and More Growth.

Epic's response is incredibly overblown though. Anyone who already has Fortnite on their phone can still play it, it's only people who want to newly download it that are blocked.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I think it's mindblowing how they are essentially recruiting kids, basically the vast majority of Fortnite's playerbase, into fighting a PR war for them.

Fake edit: I mean cause legally Epic is hosed. They broke the store's legal contract.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They basically told users that they should pay Epic directly for cosmetics instead of using the in-app purchase system that goes through Apple, because Apple takes a 30% cut of all those purchases and Epic needs More Money and More Growth.

Epic's response is incredibly overblown though. Anyone who already has Fortnite on their phone can still play it, it's only people who want to newly download it that are blocked.

It's probably not a sole reaction to this, but has been a long time coming. Epic (Tim) is openly fighting the 30% cut for quite some time now, not the least with their own storefront.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Det_no posted:

A company run by a man-child, owned by the Chinese Government. "MY FREEEEEEDOOOM"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Det_no posted:

How much of their player base is going to get the reference to a 1984 tv commercial?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Considering they had a marketing campaign ready to go, this is a fight they wanted to have. This is less about Apple and more about setting a precedent.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Only until the next update hits, and then they will be unable to update and not on the same version as every other platform.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Apple is nothing if not well known for really, really wanting to maintain their stranglehold on their devices' app ecosystem, so it's not like it's altogether undeserved, either.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Det_no posted:

This sucks. I love it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ultrafilter posted:

How much of their player base is going to get the reference to a 1984 tv commercial?
I feel like we're going to end up with a generation of people soon who genuinely believe that some apocalyptically dystopian event actually happened in 1984.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I feel like we're going to end up with a generation of people soon who genuinely believe that some apocalyptically dystopian event actually happened in 1984.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it is the year in which Reagan was elected.

e:f,b

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it's probably just a case of missing the moment when there was the most activity about it. La-Mulana 2 is excellent and I've heard nobody say anything bad about it.
I don't like the way it scales up enemy spawns based on some weird "progress" meter which you can increase by picking up certain items and other things. Tings get rather crowded.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Cardiovorax posted:

Apple is nothing if not well known for really, really wanting to maintain their stranglehold on their devices' app ecosystem, so it's not like it's altogether undeserved, either.

They're also not shy about using that power to bully others into doing what they want, under threat of removing them from the app store and thus from everyone addicted to iphones.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
If you get Remnant from the EGS, can you play co-op with someone who bought it on Steam?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Someone over in the EGS thread claimed that the Remnant Discord has confirmed that you can, but the free download has only been available for a few hours yet. Ask again in a day or two and people might be able to give you a real, first-hand answer.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Two hours into Remnant: from ashes and my first impression that it plays much better then it looks. Other then wishing it had more intresting dress-up options for my character im liking it so far .

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

That’s probably because remnant is not a diablo-esque loot game in just about any way besides the levels having some random generation elements

It definitely feels like a Diablo type game to me, a random gamer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i've seen the name a lot, how does it differ from diablo?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The loot is set and mostly upgradable (armour/weapons are, not jewelery). No randomly generated gear.

edit: you upgrade your character through traits that boost stuff like HP, crit chance, elemental resist, etc instead of leveling up and increasing your attributes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sebmojo posted:

all gear in the game is hand designed and most of it comes from preset sources (i.e. a weapon is specifically a guaranteed reward from killing a certain boss), there is nothing randomized about anything you can equip. I have no idea where the comparison comes from.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

In basically every way.

The randomization comes from the fact that each time you go through a world, the layout will be different in terms of bosses and events. And each boss and each event gives different loot. So in order to get all the toys you have to run/reroll the world or each section of the world until you get what you want. Which, granted, feels kinda Diablo-y but isn't really.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Diablo has loot, so does Remnant. A correlation exists and that is enough for us to have a nice, meaty conversation with!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Epic is suing Google now too. Weird how the company with a large chinese investment is picking up fights with all these american companies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Det_no posted:

Epic is suing Google now too. Weird how the company with a large chinese investment is picking up fights with all these american companies.

I don't think you need to bring weird nationalist conspiracy theories to explain a company that thinks it has the means rebelling against its digital landlords

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i'm dapping right now irl

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
remnant barely has loot or interesting character progression. It's not a bad game but I would not go to it looking for a loot fix.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

remnant barely has loot or interesting character progression. It's not a bad game but I would not go to it looking for a loot fix.

I'm probably only going to play it with friends

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Which is to say that if you're not a fan of loot treadmills, it's good to go. For me the comparison is grinding maps for mob drops and to get to the random bosses through random maps. I think the real gamers in the audience can understand the diablo gamefeel comparison

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Two or three days ago, while I was away from my main computer, I read here (I think, it might be a different thread where people talk about RPGs) that someone was asking about Wurm Unlimited, and whether it was worth getting. If you are that someone, drop your Steam or email because I have a spare key from Humble ages ago :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
edit: ah hell nevermind