Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Get in to the shower still fully clothed in kit and helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

I'm male, hips are 42 inches around, waist is 34. Not saying a women's cut won't be better for you, but these will be super stretchy.
Most of the time women's cut means only two things: shorter jersey length, and shorter leg length. Sometimes it means a different pad shape, but not always - dunno if that'd be the case with these AliExpress vendors.

We need one of those Howard Schatz-style athlete lineups except instead of various naked Olympians it's just a bunch of goon cyclists wearing BearPope.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

Get in to the shower still fully clothed in kit and helmet.

I’ve never not done this with a hose

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
nevernude, but with dhb classic bibs instead of jorts

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I was doing some bike maintenance and noticed my saddle was mounted on my bike crooked. It always felt a little off, but I thought it was a natural human asymmetry. I didn't think to check it because I didn't know that was possible. I've been riding like that for 493 hours and recently completed PT for an injury that was only happening on my right lower back. I guess a PSA for checking if your saddle is mounted to your seat post crooked. drat I'm dumb.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

How do you clean a bike helmet? The padded liner on mine is held in with velcro so I throw it in the wash with my cycling clothes on the gentle cycle. But for the straps I don't know what to do except soak it in the sink with dish soap then scrub the straps with a brush.

Is there anything better/quicker?

Ride more, so you sweat more, and the fresh sweat pushes out the old dirt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Modal Auxiliary posted:

We need one of those Howard Schatz-style athlete lineups except instead of various naked Olympians it's just a bunch of goon cyclists wearing BearPope.

I'll start the website
https://height-weight-chart.com/

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

So almost nailed a biker today. I was making a right turn at an intersection with a blind sidewalk, which as such has a designated right turn arrow and no walk signal. I get the arrow, as I'm into my turn some dude in nice kit with a rather nice road bike just loving flies into the intersection from the sidewalk, almost gets hit (very happy the truck was empty and my brakes are decent), then flips me off. I've been biking long enough that I generally don't get pissed off if someone rolls a stop sign or goes when its clear on a red (I'm certainly guilty of that occasionally), but goddamn don't ride on the sidewalk, and take the minimal loving effort to at least slow down before blowing through a signal into traffic. I always drive as I'd like to be driven around when I'm riding on road, and I'm always careful when turning, but I can't see behind obstructions, and no amount of being careful would've saved this dude from going under the wheels if either of us had been a second faster.

Anywho that's me whining and I'm sure there are cars on the road that hate me too. poo poo just really spooked me, I really don't wanna be the rear end in a top hat that hits a fellow a cyclist.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Biking for years now has given me enormous patience and understanding for most cyclists on the road when I am driving a car. I don't give a poo poo about rolling a stop sign or jumping a red or whatever minor things when traffic is clear and one has taken a second to make sure they're being safe and not a jackass.

But conversely it has also given me a special hatred of those 1% of mega dickheads that do wildly unsafe poo poo like that. Both because it is infinitely stupid and dangerous and I don't want to be involved, and also because those 1% of terrible interactions are the ones non-cyclist car drivers are going to remember and use to bitch and moan about all cyclists.

That 1% of mega dickheads exist in cars, too, and yet somehow they don't skew the conversation about all cars being bad.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 13, 2020

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

McCracAttack posted:

How do you clean a bike helmet? The padded liner on mine is held in with velcro so I throw it in the wash with my cycling clothes on the gentle cycle. But for the straps I don't know what to do except soak it in the sink with dish soap then scrub the straps with a brush.

That'll do it. I did mine yesterday in a bucket with hot water and some detergent. Submerged the whole thing so need to remove the foam padding.

If you're lucky enough to have a helmet with replaceable pads, a new set is usually just a few bucks and it's really nice.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Guinness posted:

Biking for years now has given me enormous patience and understanding for most cyclists on the road when I am driving a car. I don't give a poo poo about rolling a stop sign or jumping a red or whatever minor things when traffic is clear and one has taken a second to make sure they're being safe and not a jackass.

But conversely it has also given me a special hatred of those 1% of mega dickheads that do wildly unsafe poo poo like that. Both because it is infinitely stupid and dangerous and I don't want to be involved, and also because those 1% of terrible interactions are the ones non-cyclist car drivers are going to remember and use to bitch and moan about all cyclists.

That 1% of mega dickheads exist in cars, too, and yet somehow they don't skew the conversation about all cars being bad.

:same:

also, even if the 1% of mega dickheads in cars didn't exist, cars would still be bad.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

That'll do it. I did mine yesterday in a bucket with hot water and some detergent. Submerged the whole thing so need to remove the foam padding.

If you're lucky enough to have a helmet with replaceable pads, a new set is usually just a few bucks and it's really nice.

Thank you for peppering in a serious reply. :sweatdrop:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I have cleaned a helmet exactly zero times.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yoohoo posted:

clean your helmet

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's strange, I've been cleaning my helmet more often after I got married and had kids.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Wearing it in the shower is also legit! Conserves water too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

yoohoo posted:

Strange and disgusting boast.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

McCracAttack posted:

Just don’t use water that’s borderline too hot. It can soften/dissolve the adhesive that holds the velcro bits for your pads in place.

Also it might just be me, but I hate wearing anything in the shower. I just always wash my helmet and HRM after a ride. If I plan on reusing a pair of gloves, I handwash those two.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
a whole week of my bike being at the shop and another one to go :argh:

forcing myself to run 3-4 times a week instead :chanpop:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Need a recommendation on a bike for a man who wants to roll around Seattle casually for fitness. Wouldn't hate just some standard good bikes to look for secondhand, the budget is probably only around $500 bucks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Texibus posted:

Need a recommendation on a bike for a man who wants to roll around Seattle casually for fitness. Wouldn't hate just some standard good bikes to look for secondhand, the budget is probably only around $500 bucks.

Any of Specialized Sirrus, Trek FX, Jamis Coda, Giant Escape, Kona Dew.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Giant Escape 2 disc or something similar like the Trek FX, Cannondale Quick, Kona Dew, Marin Fairfax.

The 8 speed Altus stuff is fine for a beginner flat bar bike/runabout. The 7 speed Tourney stuff sucks a lot.

Good luck finding one.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Texibus posted:

How tall are you? I have a 2015 Kona Rove near Seattle that needs sellin'
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/kona/rove-al

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Texibus posted:

I know Ascent in Ballard just got some stock of 2021 Konas in. No idea what models, but could be worth calling them to see what they might have that lines up with what you're looking for.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Cervelo S5 Disc.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I wash my helmet straps and pads not nearly as often as I should, with a soapy sponge. I've always been worried about soaking or getting too much water in there and having the hard shell delaminate from the foam or something.

And to answer your next question no I don't ride in the rain what are you dumb?

Texibus
May 18, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

How tall are you? I have a 2015 Kona Rove near Seattle that needs sellin'
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/kona/rove-al

I'm 5'9 8/10th", just kidding I'm 5'9"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Texibus posted:

I'm 5'9 8/10th", just kidding I'm 5'9"

Sent you a PM

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My dad got into cycling the past year and has bought two bikes in that time. What's a good birthday present to get him to encourage his hobby that could be a surprise? I thought of shoes but getting the right size might be tricky.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Artelier posted:

My dad got into cycling the past year and has bought two bikes in that time. What's a good birthday present to get him to encourage his hobby that could be a surprise? I thought of shoes but getting the right size might be tricky.

Not sure of your price range, but a quality bike fit is a great present for someone getting more into cycling. It can also help preemptively avoid repetitive use injuries.

You're going to want to look for someone like a sports physio or physical therapist, as opposed to someone at a bike shop.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

bicievino posted:

Not sure of your price range, but a quality bike fit is a great present for someone getting more into cycling. It can also help preemptively avoid repetitive use injuries.

You're going to want to look for someone like a sports physio or physical therapist, as opposed to someone at a bike shop.

That's good to know, will try to go with him to a sports physio shop in the future; probably won't be for his birthday since mom has a surprise party planned, my bad for not explaining properly.

How about non-bike shoes suggestions for gifts? Any ideas? He's got a helmet and...I'm honestly not sure what else he might want.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cycling jerseys and or bibs are always nice to have extras of and they are easier to size then shoes, or rain gear if he doesnt have some already.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Artelier posted:

That's good to know, will try to go with him to a sports physio shop in the future; probably won't be for his birthday since mom has a surprise party planned, my bad for not explaining properly.

How about non-bike shoes suggestions for gifts? Any ideas? He's got a helmet and...I'm honestly not sure what else he might want.

Maybe some sweet-rear end glasses? 100%, Oakley, and POC all make rad stuff.
A cool jersey or gloves? Could be hard with sizing.
Silca make a bunch of things that are a bit frivolous and too expensive for most folks to buy for themselves, but make very nice quality gifts, like this saddle bag: https://silca.cc/products/seat-roll-premio
Rapha also makes some nice gift accessories, like this sweat/waterproof wallet for a few cards + phone (there's a larger version if he has a bigger phone): https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rainproof-essentials-case/product/LEC05XX

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

A spurcycle bell, cool water bottles?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Maybe some sweet-rear end glasses? 100%, Oakley, and POC all make rad stuff.
A cool jersey or gloves? Could be hard with sizing.
Silca make a bunch of things that are a bit frivolous and too expensive for most folks to buy for themselves, but make very nice quality gifts, like this saddle bag: https://silca.cc/products/seat-roll-premio
Rapha also makes some nice gift accessories, like this sweat/waterproof wallet for a few cards + phone (there's a larger version if he has a bigger phone): https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rainproof-essentials-case/product/LEC05XX

On this wallet, I can just barely fit an iPhone 11 without a case. If you have a case or a bigger phone you need the bigger one for sure.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Artelier posted:

like the posters above mentioned, cool swag! Awesome water bottles, nice lights, a bike computer/sensors, bike bags (top tube/stem bag for snacks, handlebar bag, saddlebag) that match his bike, new grips or bartape, electrolyte mix or bike snacks, feedzone portables book (cook book on how to make bike snacks) and the list goes on. If your dad is ultra nerdy and wants to do his own maintenance, the Unior bike mechanics book series written by Denise Belzil is loving great.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Spurcycle is a great idea if he’s riding busy MUPs. Doubling dinging one just right is one of life’s hidden joys.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Would an older Specialized Stumpjumper for $150 be a decent deal, if it's in good shape?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yes. Do you know how to check out a used bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Nope.
I figured I'd ride it and cycle through the gears and hit the brakes.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 14, 2020