Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

habeasdorkus posted:

It 100% is grognardy. Which is why going overboard with it in a "waaaah, D&D mechanics don't work like that!" way is real silly and people should not do that. But I like roughly knowing what the characters are capable of based upon their D&D stats, and it's neat to see the mechanics used in storytelling.

Yeah, it's a fun puzzle and thing to idly bullshit about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

AnoHito posted:

This is also the guy who came up with Chlorine Elementals, after all.

To be fair, V implies that elementals beyond the classic four are known about, they're just gauche.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I'm actually starting to wonder if Rich has Implosion and Destruction mixed up in his head. Like I mentioned before, Implosion is a strictly worse choice than Destruction, in that it does nothing on a successful fort save. And, in this strip, Redcloak says that he is "using the spell necessary to prevent you from being resurrected". Destruction prevents resurrection, Implosion does not.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Gynovore posted:

I'm actually starting to wonder if Rich has Implosion and Destruction mixed up in his head. Like I mentioned before, Implosion is a strictly worse choice than Destruction, in that it does nothing on a successful fort save. And, in this strip, Redcloak says that he is "using the spell necessary to prevent you from being resurrected". Destruction prevents resurrection, Implosion does not.

Destruction (the spell), oddly, isn't a domain spell for Destruction (the domain). It's plausible that he simply hadn't prepared it, but did have Implosion in his Destruction (domain) slot.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Huh, that matches the scene a lot better.

When the remastered edition comes out, i expect this to be corrected via CGI! :colbert:

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Gynovore posted:

A good Watsonian explanation might be that he cast Destruction but called out "Implosion" just to mess with Durkon, similar to how Elan once "cast" Celestial Sloth on Sabine or V "cast" Sonic(?) back in Cliffport.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Daikloktos posted:

Following this thread for a decade +giantitp safaris and reading grognards.txt twice it's really embarassing that I need clarification here, but what precisely is the deal with Orcus

He came up a few time in a number of different D&D campaigns I played in. (Either a cleric of Orcus, a follower of Orcus or the big O himself near the end of the Savage Tide campaign.)

And EVERY time he showed up, someone called him Dorkus Malorcus, because even though he should be a super threatening Demon Prince, it’s still worth using a Simpsons joke to zing him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh yeah orcus that's the god of orcs obviously

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TheAceOfLungs posted:

A good Watsonian explanation might be that he cast Destruction but called out "Implosion" just to mess with Durkon, similar to how Elan once "cast" Celestial Sloth on Sabine or V "cast" Sonic(?) back in Cliffport.

There was actually a rule for this. I think it might have involved a feat, or just been a character quirk, but in Paizo’s Shackled City campaign for 3.5 ed D&D there was one NPC who would deliberately call out the wrong names of spells before he cast them.

Like he said “Melfs Acid Arrow” before he casts Disintegration.
In so doing he gave you like a -2 or -4 on the check to Counterspell it.
So there is a precedent for it.

Shugojin posted:

If we're looking for a flaw of Xykon's that will lead to his downfall I don't see it being anything other than his complete dismissal of other beings. Hell, the MitD is already rebelling and marking off random doors that no one's gone into, it's gonna get a lot worse when it decides to stop him.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I think everyone is overlooking Xyklon’s biggest flaw. He has no friends.

And I know people might think that’s Care Bear logic that Friendship is the greatest magic of all, but it’s actually super relevant.

Who is in Xyklon’s corner? A cleric who will destroy him the second his use has been fulfilled?
A monster who will absolutely be swayed by a better argument?
A bunch of minions who would probably run away if Xyklon can’t Meteor Swarm them?

The only person who would have unquestionably had his back was that Necromancer. And when she got eaten by her abominations, Xyklon just shrugged and never investigated it further.

I know people might think it’s naive to think of friendship and loyalty as being strengths, but it’s just like that quote from Futurama.
“I’m an 80’s guy. When I say you are my friend that means for $20 I will beat you with a pool que until your retinas detach.”
And that ruthlessness that makes Xyklon so dangerous will be his undoing.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's one of the things that made the Vector Legion so effective.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xykon. No L. His name is not an edgy Holocaust reference.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Question IRL posted:

He came up a few time in a number of different D&D campaigns I played in. (Either a cleric of Orcus, a follower of Orcus or the big O himself near the end of the Savage Tide campaign.)

And EVERY time he showed up, someone called him Dorkus Malorcus, because even though he should be a super threatening Demon Prince, it’s still worth using a Simpsons joke to zing him.

Now I want to be a cleric of Big O. Start every battle with "it's showtime!" Use a big ol piston punch to finish people off. Ye Not Guilty

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That's a very good points by The Question IRL. There was some joke about there being 14 different factions with stakes in this conflict. Xykon all by his lonesome is one of those factions.

Being a cunning, ruthless, more or less optimized epic level lich is a big game. But when you are facing off against pantheons of gods, alliances of evil outsiders, etc, it can easily stop being enough.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Colonel Cool posted:

It's one of the things that made the Vector Legion so effective.

One of my favorite minor scenes is when Malack expresses his grievances to Tarquin, the two of them discuss it like reasonable adults, then Tarquin apologizes and resolves to change his behavior.

I think it's the one and only instance of two reasonable adults talking out their problems in the entire strip, and of course it happens between two of the top five evilest (mortal) characters.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

oobey posted:

One of my favorite minor scenes is when Malack expresses his grievances to Tarquin, the two of them discuss it like reasonable adults, then Tarquin apologizes and resolves to change his behavior.

I think it's the one and only instance of two reasonable adults talking out their problems in the entire strip, and of course it happens between two of the top five evilest (mortal) characters.

Roy gets some adult moments after being raised.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

oobey posted:

Years before that, rich wrote a post on the website about good rpg writing. He's taken that whole section down now so I'm going on memory

He had two ridiculously powerful liches each of whom had armies expanding and seizing land.

His players had the idea of trying to play the two liches off against each other, but he had written the liches as long term friends who swapped spells and plans and just talked.

So when they brought one lich circumstantial evidence the other was plotting against him, and then they just talked it out, then he killed the pcs

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

I never noticed before that Julia's line of "My life never ceases finding new and exciting ways to disappoint" is something that Roy has said, word for word. I think also Eugene said it at some point too? That's a nice subtle bit of Greenhilt family characterization.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I never noticed before that Julia's line of "My life never ceases finding new and exciting ways to disappoint" is something that Roy has said, word for word. I think also Eugene said it at some point too? That's a nice subtle bit of Greenhilt family characterization.

Roy: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0234.html and I can't remember if/where Eugene said it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Question IRL posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but I think everyone is overlooking Xyklon’s biggest flaw. He has no friends.

And I know people might think that’s Care Bear logic that Friendship is the greatest magic of all, but it’s actually super relevant.

Who is in Xyklon’s corner? A cleric who will destroy him the second his use has been fulfilled?
A bunch of minions who would probably run away if Xyklon can’t Meteor Swarm them?

The only person who would have unquestionably had his back was that Necromancer. And when she got eaten by her abominations, Xyklon just shrugged and never investigated it further.

I know people might think it’s naive to think of friendship and loyalty as being strengths, but it’s just like that quote from Futurama.
“I’m an 80’s guy. When I say you are my friend that means for $20 I will beat you with a pool que until your retinas detach.”

That's pretty much what I meant. He just totally dismisses the worth of all other beings (and so he has no friends).

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

That's pretty much what I meant. He just totally dismisses the worth of all other beings (and so he has no friends).

I don't think he dismisses the worth of other beings at all, even if he is one of the most powerful non-deity beings in the setting. He keeps Redcloak and the MitD around, frequently uses hoards of minions, and was willing to recruit Tsukiko instead of killing her. He also consistently pays attention to Redcloak's advice in dire situations, like against Soon or powered up V. He even respects O'Chul, based on his speech to V. It's not that he doesn't believe other creatures have worth, it's just that he's incredibly selfish and only cares about them so long as they're benefiting or amusing him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m wondering if there’s going to be some breaking point where someone serving under Xykon decides that potentially dying to him would be preferable to the risk of him not being able to control the Snarl for his “become king of the world” plan.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I don't think he dismisses the worth of other beings at all, even if he is one of the most powerful non-deity beings in the setting. He keeps Redcloak and the MitD around, frequently uses hoards of minions, and was willing to recruit Tsukiko instead of killing her. He also consistently pays attention to Redcloak's advice in dire situations, like against Soon or powered up V. He even respects O'Chul, based on his speech to V. It's not that he doesn't believe other creatures have worth, it's just that he's incredibly selfish and only cares about them so long as they're benefiting or amusing him.

He recognizes that the action economy is a real bitch to overcome by yourself.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

I’m wondering if there’s going to be some breaking point where someone serving under Xykon decides that potentially dying to him would be preferable to the risk of him not being able to control the Snarl for his “become king of the world” plan.

Even odds it's Greyview. Dog's already ready to suffer and die anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I mean like, intrinsic rights and respect worth. Not "beep boop you produce service of value" worth. :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Question IRL posted:

that scene where redcloak tells him about it is really interesting, he's guarded in a way that he hasn't ever been before

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I didn't notice before: Minrah seems to be using Durkon's hammer of thunderbolts, which means he handed it off to her beforehand in order to show up unarmed to his confrontation with Redcloak.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

Actually it was the second casting that had dire ramifications.
:goonsay:

Technically it's the third if (SoD spoilers) you count Redcloak casting Disintegrate on his brother in Start of Darkness. Which, while it did not prevent Xykon's death because big X was immune to positive energy backstabs anyway, was the last nail in the coffin of Redcloak ever abandoning The Plan.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

Technically it's the third if (SoD spoilers) you count Redcloak casting Disintegrate on his brother in Start of Darkness. Which, while it did not prevent Xykon's death because big X was immune to positive energy backstabs anyway, was the last nail in the coffin of Redcloak ever abandoning The Plan.

whoa. disintegrate is sort of pivotal, isn't it, as something that should make problems go away, but really, really doesn't.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

sebmojo posted:

whoa. disintegrate is sort of pivotal, isn't it, as something that should make problems go away, but really, really doesn't.
Kubota will be avenged.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Let's not forget how Evil V used it to finish off the zombie dragon head after she used Familicide on it.

Incidentally, thread, I have only joined you recently, but tell me, were people horrified when that scene happened? I know I was when I first read it. Same for the revelation that the Draketooth clan was related to them.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Well, it's not even an explosion of any sort, so that's to be expected.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Let's not forget how Evil V used it to finish off the zombie dragon head after she used Familicide on it.

Incidentally, thread, I have only joined you recently, but tell me, were people horrified when that scene happened? I know I was when I first read it. Same for the revelation that the Draketooth clan was related to them.

I definitely paused for a minute on those pages. Even setting the indiscriminate killing of so many aside, there was no way that Familicide wasn't going to be a catastrophic mistake that would come back to haunt V. The payoff being the loss of all the defenders of one of the gates was a big, "oh gently caress" moment.

I do like the hint at what was to come on that Familicide page with the centaur/dragon. Rich was showing us even then that yep, hybrids are a thing here and Familicide targets through them too. And what species do half dragons tend to have for their other half?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I wasn't reading along with a community, but I was really taken aback by familycide when I got to it. My reaction wasn't much different than V's partner in the comic.

It made it a lot easier to watch V get ragdolled by Xykon, tho.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

paradoxGentleman posted:

The thread was pretty shocked, yeah.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
That was the coolest sequence until the Durkon stuff started cooking off.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Thanks for the link!
Man, I can't believe there were people defending V's actions as "not that bad all things considered"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You know, Miko was the only one to interrogate whether killing a dragon who had done nothing to anyone was moral.

Rich was probably planning that far ahead

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I reread that sequence recently, and the thing that I had forgotten was just how evil the dragon was. I forgot she had already escalated from killing child to murdering (and then infinitely torturing) entire immediate family.

Obviously V escalated even further to killing all family, but it was a neat example of violence begetting violence.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
In true Miko fashion, she justified it immediately upon being told it was chromatic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Having read how the paladin got his scar I was amazed by how Miko fell into the same exact self-righteous pit the bad paladin did despite having seen it all play out how it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

Having read how the paladin got his scar I was amazed by how Miko fell into the same exact self-righteous pit the bad paladin did despite having seen it all play out how it did

As always for Miko Miyazaki, "the difference is I'm right"