Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InediblePenguin posted:

If I pause between customers to wipe things down with disinfectant i get yelled at by customers for implying they're dirty and spoken to by management for taking too long to ring people up and doing cleaning work when there's a line? If I DON'T do that i get yelled at by customers for putting their health at risk and spoken to by management for failing to follow the covid cleaning process? i want to stab everyone including myself??????

I will never understand how people can hold the "disinfecting something public that I touched MEANS I'M DIRTY, AND I'M NOT" in their head during a global pandemic. It is literally the stupidest, most childish poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I was only working as a cashier for about a month when the drat pandemic started. I was still trying to learn all the drat produce codes at a produce-focused grocery store while also trying to wipe down everything between customers AND bagging all the poo poo myself.

I happily quit a few months later. (Looking back that wasn't the smartest move, but I am way less stressed.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fartington Butts posted:

I was only working as a cashier for about a month when the drat pandemic started. I was still trying to learn all the drat produce codes at a produce-focused grocery store while also trying to wipe down everything between customers AND bagging all the poo poo myself.

I happily quit a few months later. (Looking back that wasn't the smartest move, but I am way less stressed.)

I was considering doing that part time to earn some extra money, and make finances less stressful, but then the pandemic happened and I was "gently caress no"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I will never understand how people can hold the "disinfecting something public that I touched MEANS I'M DIRTY, AND I'M NOT" in their head during a global pandemic. It is literally the stupidest, most childish poo poo.

I remember a quote from Barack Obama of all people, about how at first he was offended that then-President Dubya used hand sanitizer after shaking his hand for the first time, but later, he realized why the gently caress the hand-shaker-in-chief was constantly using hand sanitizer.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wouldn't the cashier bagging everything lead to more spread rather than less since he's handling it a lot more

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Edit: nevermind, this is a real enough issue that it shouldn't be posted here.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Aug 12, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We had some water coming in through a crack in a basement wall--nothing catastrophic, but it needed to be fixed. My husband and I discussed whether we felt safe having someone in the house to repair it and decided that it would be okay since they'd be apart from us in the basement and (presumably) masked, as people who conceivably visit many different houses over the course of a day. The owner of the company came by to give us a quote, and he was masked, and so were we.

But today the worker came by with no mask. The guy read the room enough to stay in the foyer when he was done, and my (masked) husband gave him his payment at arm's length. My son was a floor away and I was behind a door, so I think we were relatively safe...but how the hell do you make house calls without a mask? :psyduck:

Then we got curbside pickup from a chain restaurant for dinner. The parking lot was jam-packed with people dining in. They even have a giveaway going on now: chance to win a free burger with every dine-in meal. It's called "Burgers for the Brave," and I loving resent the implication.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

We had some water coming in through a crack in a basement wall--nothing catastrophic, but it needed to be fixed. My husband and I discussed whether we felt safe having someone in the house to repair it and decided that it would be okay since they'd be apart from us in the basement and (presumably) masked, as people who conceivably visit many different houses over the course of a day. The owner of the company came by to give us a quote, and he was masked, and so were we.

But today the worker came by with no mask. The guy read the room enough to stay in the foyer when he was done, and my (masked) husband gave him his payment at arm's length. My son was a floor away and I was behind a door, so I think we were relatively safe...but how the hell do you make house calls without a mask? :psyduck:

Then we got curbside pickup from a chain restaurant for dinner. The parking lot was jam-packed with people dining in. They even have a giveaway going on now: chance to win a free burger with every dine-in meal. It's called "Burgers for the Brave," and I loving resent the implication.

Our A/C broke today and the repair guy came in maskless and clad in a MAGA hat. Me and all my roomies have contracted and survived rona. We masked up before opening the door. It was really hard to not rush him, beat him to death, and stuff him into the attic for the next generation. But hey, the A/C works again.

One roomie literally works as an A/C maintenance guy but we don't talk about that, he couldn't be allowed

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Brawnfire posted:

it's great because most of these people aren't even -- they're like "disinfecting something public that I am about to touch, but have not touched yet, before i can touch it, implies that someone somewhere might be dirty and I'm taking this ridiculously personally because Fox News told me the pandemic is a political issue" and I want them all to loving stop

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who get uppity if you tell them that you use pirated stuff. like lol do you really think i will buy microsoft word

obviously with all of that kind of overpriced but essential stuff the correct way to get it is off the back of a russian lorry. not doing so is weird.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hirayuki posted:

Restaurants, I still cannot fathom how people are just so carefree about it right now. Depending on the route, I drive by one or more restaurants, both chain and non-chain, on the way home from work, and the parking lots are always either packed or near-packed, one of them has cars overflowing on the grass 2/3 of the time. Humans really are too stupid to live.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

people who get uppity if you tell them that you use pirated stuff. like lol do you really think i will buy microsoft word

obviously with all of that kind of overpriced but essential stuff the correct way to get it is off the back of a russian lorry. not doing so is weird.

I really miss that brief period when Steam and Netflix were the only game in town in their fields. Like everyone else, much of my pirating is out of convenience.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

it's great because most of these people aren't even -- they're like "disinfecting something public that I am about to touch, but have not touched yet, before i can touch it, implies that someone somewhere might be dirty and I'm taking this ridiculously personally because Fox News told me the pandemic is a political issue" and I want them all to loving stop

Aaahhhh this is even more stupid,my brain is like shutting down to avoid having to contemplate their logic path

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really miss that brief period when Steam and Netflix were the only game in town in their fields. Like everyone else, much of my pirating is out of convenience.

i pirate stuff out of spite too. i think the only microsoft product i ever paid money for was age of empires

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Boomer phone etiquette.

My mom this morning gave me five missed calls, two "hey edgar it's mom call me" voicemails, and then finally a text stating the thing she needed to say. And no, it's not at all a loving emergency, it's mundane bullshit. Just loving text the thing. If it's really important or you can't text about it for whatever reason loving text "oh gently caress poo poo X call me asap" or whatever.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Comedy replies to serious questions in forums and groups.

If you are all in a group about growing heritage tomatoes, and someone posts a picture of their plants asking to help identify why an issue is happening, replying with.

"Solar flares 😆" or "5G 🤪". Is the opposite of helpful. Either give genuine assistance or shut the gently caress up. You are not funny.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Comedy replies to serious questions in forums and groups.

If you are all in a group about growing heritage tomatoes, and someone posts a picture of their plants asking to help identify why an issue is happening, replying with.

"Solar flares 😆" or "5G 🤪". Is the opposite of helpful. Either give genuine assistance or shut the gently caress up. You are not funny.

Honestly, it's why it's hard to go to ANY forum other than SA. There was another one i went to in the early aughts that, like SA, did have rules like "don't be a jackass" and "at least put a modicum of effort into a reply" and it was mostly ok. But there were still joke answers like that, everyone thinking they're the cleverest son-of-a-bitch for repeating the same tired "joke", and even beyond that, too many people stuck up their own rear end with the "smartest person in the room" mentality.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

When you're trying to do poo poo in an app, but it stops responding for a few seconds because it's loading up the "HEY DO YOU WANNA RATE THIS APP?!" pop-up. Shut the gently caress up, Dropbox, I'm just trying to look at a file real quick.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

At some point, more and more programs have started refusing to run their installers if there's a system restart 'pending'.

It's incredibly loving annoying to say, update Maya and have it go 'lol no gently caress you, there's a restart pending.' because windows has an update queued to install the next time the system restarts.
Yeah sure, force me to save + close everything I have open, run the loving windows update and -then- your goddamn installer. I think Visual studio did the same last time I installed it as well.
A program not wanting to install if windows has a shutdown queued within the next couple of minutes I can understand, refusing to do so because there's yet another system update queued I don't.

Fartington Butts posted:

When you're trying to do poo poo in an app, but it stops responding for a few seconds because it's loading up the "HEY DO YOU WANNA RATE THIS APP?!" pop-up. Shut the gently caress up, Dropbox, I'm just trying to look at a file real quick.

Honestly, just gently caress every program ever that tries to do anything outside of the specific thing you bought/downloaded it for, because they'll always try to shove it down your throat.
It's not that long ago that I double clicked on dropbox on my pc, expecting it to open the dropbox folder as usual, and instead it opened a new loving 'dropbox explorer' app out of the blue.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What is it about taking a nasty poo poo that suddenly the area directly outside the bathroom door is the hottest spot in town to hang out

Yeah I know it stinks, that's why I went to a different room on a different floor and closed the door

Maybe gently caress off?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s even worse when you come out of the shitter all red faced and absolutely covered in sweat

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My grandparents really love to talk to me when I'm on the toilet and in the shower. They always start by knocking on the door and asking "are you using the bathroom?" No grandma I'm just sitting in here with the light and fan on doing my taxes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Caught me just in time, I was just about to start my warm-up scales. What can I help you with?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

What is it about taking a nasty poo poo that suddenly the area directly outside the bathroom door is the hottest spot in town to hang out

Yeah I know it stinks, that's why I went to a different room on a different floor and closed the door

Maybe gently caress off?

when i lived in student housing two of my housemates were girls and theyd throw these sorority parties downstairs. theyd hang out in the hallway and all over the place, they were nice but it made it basically impossible to take a poo poo because theres no way im going to take a dump with three girls drinking lambrusco in tank tops leaning against the door and giggling

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Shibawanko posted:

when i lived in student housing two of my housemates were girls and theyd throw these sorority parties downstairs. theyd hang out in the hallway and all over the place, they were nice but it made it basically impossible to take a poo poo because theres no way im going to take a dump with three girls drinking lambrusco in tank tops leaning against the door and giggling

When I lived in a dorm in college I pooped almost exclusively in the single-occupancy bathroom near the dorm complex's office, rather than poop in the dorm's public bathroom stalls. It was a couple minutes' extra walking but it was worth it for peaceful, social-anxiety-free dumps.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Nothing quite like someone trying to talk to me while I'm in the shower. Sets me right off and it's never been important. Not once in my entire life has it been something that couldn't wait.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i also dont like people getting into the kitchen with me while im cooking. when i visit my mother the kitchen is a narrow hallway type deal and when im making something she likes to get in there and clean stuff while im busy or has to look around for some weird reason. my wife also likes to hang around with me and my dog likes to sort of dart around my feet. i constantly feel like im going to bump into one of them and drop a big panful of hot spaghetti water or whatever, im working so please leave me alone to focus on a single task

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Agreed, I don't mind if we're both working on the meal, but if my wife just has her rear end against the silverware drawer and then moves out of the way when I ask and now she's in front of the oven so I'm like oh I need to get back there and oh ok now you're in front of the fridge I was just about to grab some butter, really it's like standing in the middle of a solo ballet you don't want to be there

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Agreed, I don't mind if we're both working on the meal, but if my wife just has her rear end against the silverware drawer and then moves out of the way when I ask and now she's in front of the oven so I'm like oh I need to get back there and oh ok now you're in front of the fridge I was just about to grab some butter, really it's like standing in the middle of a solo ballet you don't want to be there

I'd kill myself if I was your wife. Like no offense there's a reason we're not married. But oh god

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What, because I move around the kitchen a lot when I cook her dinner every night? Yeah that's evil

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

What, because I move around the kitchen a lot when I cook her dinner every night? Yeah that's evil

No I mean that jokingly not insultingly I legit suck at posting. I'm sorry

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh ok I wasn't sure where the irony line on that was, I thought maybe my posting history finally made you irritated enough to say something

Carry on

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im pretty sure with me this is just some add thing because i can accomplish some tasks like im "neo" in the matrix when im just focused exclusively on them but interrupt me or offer me "advice" and you interrupt whatever idiot brainwave lets me achieve that state of mind and i become a flailing idiot

add is so difficult to explain to people who dont seem to have it. i can solve a problem easily if i can form a general "image" of it and execute a plan based on that image if left to my own devices, but i absolutely cannot follow on the spot instructions or do things that require a lot of different simultaneous criteria, especially if they're very unclear. its very easy if i just have to write a text, or summarize something, or connect a few ideas in an original way, but it makes it almost impossible to do very specific practical tasks

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The ability of some people to stand in front of the exact drawer you need in the kitchen at all times is eerie. It's like a super specific, super worthless sixth sense. It has nothing to do with whether or not they're your wife or whatever, it's just a superpower some people have.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

"Marriage is just your spouse perpetually standing in front of the kitchen drawer or cabinet you need to open." - some tweet I'm too lazy to find or embed.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

The ability of some people to stand in front of the exact drawer you need in the kitchen at all times is eerie. It's like a super specific, super worthless sixth sense. It has nothing to do with whether or not they're your wife or whatever, it's just a superpower some people have.

Every single loving day. EVERY loving DAY.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Riatsala posted:

Nothing quite like someone trying to talk to me while I'm in the shower. Sets me right off and it's never been important. Not once in my entire life has it been something that couldn't wait.

If you bother me in the shower the house better be on fire.

In fact, not even then. I'm surrounded by water, in the event of a fire I'm in the safest possible place. :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Spalec posted:

If you bother me in the shower the house better be on fire.

In fact, not even then. I'm surrounded by water, in the event of a fire I'm in the safest possible place. :v:

Should I ask you again how safe you feel during the event?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate when in movies, they need blood for something, so they just loving cut the palm of their hand across with a big knife instead of just lightly pricking their finger or extracting it properly with a needle in the elbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i hate when in movies, they need blood for something, so they just loving cut the palm of their hand across with a big knife instead of just lightly pricking their finger or extracting it properly with a needle in the elbow

I would love to see a movie where they string together every single movie cliche, but then consult experts to figure out how one would properly/efficiently go about the actual situations, and film those instead.

It would be loving BORING but it may be interesting