Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

sean10mm posted:

OK, I need some mix of action-RPG-open world thing to tide me over until Cypberpunk 2077, and sadly it looks like the Horizon Zero Dawn PC port is a piece of poo poo right now.

Games I liked, but I have just played to death:

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl & Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Fallout New Vegas
Fallout 4 (because I like building trash towns, apparently :v:)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Mankind Divided
Witcher 3
Saint's Row the Third
Nier: Automata

Games that didn't really work for me:

Far Cry 4
GTA V
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Metro: Exodus
Prey - This should have totally worked for me... but I always quit playing like 3/4 of the way through? :iiam:

Any obvious games in that ballpark I've missed? Watch Dogs 2 maybe?

Oooo! Oooo! Alpha Protocol!

...if, uh... if you can even get it anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oooo! Oooo! Alpha Protocol!

Done that to death. :smuggo:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

sean10mm posted:

Done that to death. :smuggo:

Dragon's Dogma? Monster Hunter World?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

OK, I need some mix of action-RPG-open world thing to tide me over until Cypberpunk 2077, and sadly it looks like the Horizon Zero Dawn PC port is a piece of poo poo right now.

Games I liked, but I have just played to death:

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl & Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Fallout New Vegas
Fallout 4 (because I like building trash towns, apparently :v:)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Mankind Divided
Witcher 3
Saint's Row the Third
Nier: Automata

Games that didn't really work for me:

Far Cry 4
GTA V
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Metro: Exodus
Prey - This should have totally worked for me... but I always quit playing like 3/4 of the way through? :iiam:

Any obvious games in that ballpark I've missed? Watch Dogs 2 maybe?

Dying Light
Batman: Arkham

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

grate deceiver posted:

These are all fine recommendations, but have you accepted Yakuza 0 into your heart?

Seconding the Yakuza 0 recommendation. I've also heard very good things about Sleeping Dogs but haven't played it myself.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MrXmas posted:

Seconding the Yakuza 0 recommendation. I've also heard very good things about Sleeping Dogs but haven't played it myself.

Sleeping Dogs is dope.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Been playing a lot of Subnautica and Satisfactory, and I'm in the mood for more like these but with a slightly stronger emphasis on combat. What are some other good first person open world survival crafting games but with decent combat and a strong focus on base building? I did try Ark but it didn't click with me, not sure exactly why. I don't usually play these games Multiplayer so singleplayer focus is ideal.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

khy posted:

Been playing a lot of Subnautica and Satisfactory, and I'm in the mood for more like these but with a slightly stronger emphasis on combat. What are some other good first person open world survival crafting games but with decent combat and a strong focus on base building? I did try Ark but it didn't click with me, not sure exactly why. I don't usually play these games Multiplayer so singleplayer focus is ideal.

7 Days to Die. It's zombie apocalypse minecraft. Scavenge and build during the day when zombies are slow, hole up and fight at night when zombies get aggressive and fast. Base building involves security, fortification and defenses, very heavy crafting system. Both a pre-constructed map with towns, and procedurally generated maps.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Keep an eye on Grounded. It's in early access and I've heard good things so far, but its being made by Obsidian which is a good developer but historically their games are kinda cursed and get forced out by publishers before they are fully cooked.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

khy posted:

This isn't a recommendation but kind of a piggy back to ask the thread what they think of Empyrion now that its hit 1.0.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This isn't a recommendation but kind of a piggy back to ask the thread what they think of Empyrion now that its hit 1.0.

Also interested, played way back when the new inventory management thing was just about to be added. Haven't played since, trying to rope my cousin into playing it with me in coop.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

7 Days to Die. It's zombie apocalypse minecraft. Scavenge and build during the day when zombies are slow, hole up and fight at night when zombies get aggressive and fast. Base building involves security, fortification and defenses, very heavy crafting system. Both a pre-constructed map with towns, and procedurally generated maps.

I've looked at it many times but the price seems a bit on the higher side for an 'alpha' title...

That Empyrion game looks possibly interesting? The trailers look rather nice and so as others say if anyone here has 1.0 experience...

khy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 11, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

khy posted:

I've looked at it many times but the price seems a bit on the higher side for an 'alpha' title...

That Empyrion game looks possibly interesting? The trailers look rather nice and so as others say if anyone here has 1.0 experience...

7d2d has been down to $8.49 a few times so far this year. I highly recommend marking it and picking it up when it is, it really is a fun game.
As zombie FPSes go.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can anyone recommend good educational games on the Switch for a 4 year old?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

khy posted:

You might want to ask in the Management games Megathread I think people have played it and discussed it there.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I'm actually looking for a specific game. It was a downloadable game for windows that was based on cartridge tilting in the NES days. I just remember that, while you were playing, it would be a mixture of a few NES games and they would randomly glitch and change and, sometimes, you would be playing as a different character from a different game. I know this is a super vague description, but Google isn't helping no matter what I do.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MussoliniB posted:

I'm actually looking for a specific game. It was a downloadable game for windows that was based on cartridge tilting in the NES days. I just remember that, while you were playing, it would be a mixture of a few NES games and they would randomly glitch and change and, sometimes, you would be playing as a different character from a different game. I know this is a super vague description, but Google isn't helping no matter what I do.

You have a time frame? 90s, early 2000s?

Also, there is a thread dedicated to this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 11, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

khy posted:

You should look into The Forest.

I played and enjoyed Empyrion years ago but it has changed so much it's almost like a different game. They have added a ton of things but the core 'survival after crashing on an alien planet' was pretty fun and satisfying back when I played it. I'll have to give it another try now that it is v1.0.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

MussoliniB posted:

I'm pretty sure this is Rom Check Fail.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You should look into The Forest.

I played and enjoyed Empyrion years ago but it has changed so much it's almost like a different game. They have added a ton of things but the core 'survival after crashing on an alien planet' was pretty fun and satisfying back when I played it. I'll have to give it another try now that it is v1.0.

Yeah, i'll have to try it again, but I kinda liked it the way it was previously.
Didn't like some of the changes to things like mining that were made.
I truly just liked the ship building.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Arzaac posted:

I'm pretty sure this is Rom Check Fail.

That is it!

Thank you so much.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I played Sundered and Hob which were free on Epic, then looked up other games like these. By now I have played Guacamelee, Guacamelee 2, 3 hours of Dust (which I didn't like that much), Carrion and Ori and the blind forest.
Right now I'm yelling at my screen in Hollow Knight, which may be a little bit too tough for me.

Got my eye on a few other titles but would love some recommendations what to play next. Relevant info: I hate (long) boss fights.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Wuppo seems like it would be right up your ally. Yoku's Island Express is like one of those mixed with pinball and it's super chill and cute. Antichamber is a little different but it still has the feel of one of those, depending on what you like about them. It's more of an exploration puzzle game though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RabbitWizard posted:

I played Sundered and Hob which were free on Epic, then looked up other games like these. By now I have played Guacamelee, Guacamelee 2, 3 hours of Dust (which I didn't like that much), Carrion and Ori and the blind forest.
Right now I'm yelling at my screen in Hollow Knight, which may be a little bit too tough for me.

Got my eye on a few other titles but would love some recommendations what to play next. Relevant info: I hate (long) boss fights.

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

Wandersong

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

RabbitWizard posted:

Strider (2014) is pretty cool.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RabbitWizard posted:

Maybe Valdis Story, although the boss fights might be an issue for you. Ghost 1.0 is definitely worth a look.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I saw she remembered caterpillars and it has awakened a dormant urge. Gimme some games where the world is mushrooms. Gimme The Forgotten Planet the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Splicer posted:

I saw she remembered caterpillars and it has awakened a dormant urge. Gimme some games where the world is mushrooms. Gimme The Forgotten Planet the game.

Hollow Knight. Vangers.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Splicer posted:

Gimme some games where the world is mushrooms.
OK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDNhZeQk-s

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

RabbitWizard posted:

The genre to look for here is metroidvania. It’s really taken off as a genre: https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Metroidvania/

i think steamworld dig 2 would be my #1 recommendation apart from what others have already said. IMO it’s probably one of the best Metroidvanias there is.

There are a ton of games in the genre though- Bloodstained, la Mulana 2, Shantae and the pirates curse, dandara, and axiom verge are all pretty well liked.

For a more action focused roguelite take (except it does have boss fights!!), which I also think is one of the best modern games, dead cells.

For super mysterious and in my opinion not fun, rain world.

For Dark Soulsy takes (maybe not up your alley because boss fights): Salt and Sanctuary and Blasphemous.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Trick Question posted:

Wuppo seems like it would be right up your ally. Yoku's Island Express is like one of those mixed with pinball and it's super chill and cute.
Had them both on my wishlist already, gonna get them soon.

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!
Uhhh, maybe later ;)

Hwurmp posted:

Wandersong
Looks interesting, wishlisted.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Strider (2014) is pretty cool.
I own this and apparently played 5 hours in 2015. I'll give it another go.

ultrafilter posted:

Maybe Valdis Story, although the boss fights might be an issue for you. Ghost 1.0 is definitely worth a look.
VS looks way too fighty indeed, Ghost is on my wishlist now.

tildes posted:

i think steamworld dig 2 would be my #1 recommendation apart from what others have already said. IMO it’s probably one of the best Metroidvanias there is.
Looks good!

tildes posted:

There are a ton of games in the genre though- Bloodstained, la Mulana 2, Shantae and the pirates curse, dandara, and axiom verge are all pretty well liked.

For a more action focused roguelite take (except it does have boss fights!!), which I also think is one of the best modern games, dead cells.

For super mysterious and in my opinion not fun, rain world.

For Dark Soulsy takes (maybe not up your alley because boss fights): Salt and Sanctuary and Blasphemous.
Shantae is on my wishlist, I'll keep some of the others in mind if I still need more after playing through the recommendations.
Thanks everyone, this should keep me busy for a while.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The first Steamworld Dig is a reasonably good game but if you're going to play it you absolutely have to do so before you play the sequel.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I found Ghost 1.0 to be bad. It's extremely repetitive and very few of the upgrades do anything interesting.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

https://critterdust.itch.io/earth-tongue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5qbFtrfupM

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

RabbitWizard posted:

Shantae is on my wishlist, I'll keep some of the others in mind if I still need more after playing through the recommendations.
Thanks everyone, this should keep me busy for a while.

If you enjoyed Ori and the blind forest, you will love Ori and the will of the wisps

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Open palm slammed the buy button on this one, thanks!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hollow Knight. Vangers.
Sitting in my cart while I think about it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Open palm slammed the buy button on this one, thanks!

It's a nice, unique game but it helps to see it as a contemplative idle builder you can leave open in a window in the background

Replenishing your powers take a lot of time and there's no right or wrong way to play it. Just letting new species immigrate, watch them strive or die. Then later you build small "habitats" separated by high walls and experiment with different species in different habitats, trying to see where they prosper, and with what other species.

I still love to come back to it and I wish there were more games like this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's a nice, unique game but it helps to see it as a contemplative idle builder you can leave open in a window in the background

Replenishing your powers take a lot of time and there's no right or wrong way to play it. Just letting new species immigrate, watch them strive or die. Then later you build small "habitats" separated by high walls and experiment with different species in different habitats, trying to see where they prosper, and with what other species.

I still love to come back to it and I wish there were more games like this.

god I love Earthtongue, I need to play with the modded biomes like the Metroid one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shovel Knight is a pretty drat solid platformer if that's what you're looking for. Maybe my favorite platformer, certainly the one I put the most time into.

If you're set on some kind of Metroidvania, then Blaster Master 0 and 02 are pretty good without being very hard.