Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Something that is still baffling to me from a recently released pdox title is that there is still no enatic mode. You can use a game rule for cognatic, but that's it. Succession is entirely unmoddable so since they did not program in an enatic mode you're still hosed. Like I'm sure this only effects the 1% of other women gamers who like history games but drat it it's a fun option!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

is the game good yet

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

This is still how it works in Stellaris for some reason. And the list sorts the pops you want to move to the bottom of the list always, so you also get to do lots of scrolling

Change the language...pops are sorted alphabetically by job and “desempleado” sorts much earlier than “unemployed.”

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AnEdgelord posted:

I really want the trade system to be reworked to be more simulationist so that its less micro intensive and more something that you steer rather than direct

basically do for trade what they did for pops

This would be better overall but if they could just add some simple automation features to the trade page (like being able to set certain goods to auto reject or accept trades) then at least it wouldn't be so incredibly spammy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RabidWeasel posted:

This would be better overall but if they could just add some simple automation features to the trade page (like being able to set certain goods to auto reject or accept trades) then at least it wouldn't be so incredibly spammy.

They've already added this

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Dalael posted:

I have a few hundred hours with this one, mostly playing Rome and I find it interesting enough. And that's when I played it a few patches ago, so I'm not up to date on current affairs. So what is it that makes the game so bad, and is it just in comparison with their other games or is the game flawed on its own?

Don't let anyone tell you you're wrong for liking the game. Also note that the backlash isn't as big as you might think reading about the game. People play it to a lesser extent than other Paradox games but it still has a lot of player and gets support and updates.

I'd also add to what RabidWeasel said that this game is unlike other major Paradox franchises. HoI4 and EU4 and Stellaris and CK2 are all pretty unique games. You can't directly compare one to the other. However, Imperator is EU4 with CK2 elements and a unique setting. Even if it was everything people hoped for it could not compete with EU4 which had a lot of refinement and so-called "content" over the years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eimi posted:

Something that is still baffling to me from a recently released pdox title is that there is still no enatic mode. You can use a game rule for cognatic, but that's it. Succession is entirely unmoddable so since they did not program in an enatic mode you're still hosed. Like I'm sure this only effects the 1% of other women gamers who like history games but drat it it's a fun option!
In EU4 they graciously allow you to play a matrilineal monarchy as a custom nation if you set the ruler and heir to both be women (as long as your ruler never dies without an heir because if that happens it's back to men only). You can set your custom starting traditions to let women be generals and admirals and a 100% chance for advisors too. This naturally weakens you because you effectively have two less bonuses than all other nations in the game. Still can't have women ruling republics, theocracies or tribes of course. The most incredible pirate ever was a woman but naturally you can't have your pirate republic be lead by one. Technically you can start your custom nations of those types with a woman but you can only ever get men after she dies.

You can set up a Jewish Finnish steppe horde in the eastern Andens with traditions based on giving your extra church power (protestant mechanic that doesn't even exist until the reformation) and meritocracy (government strength for the Chinese mandate of heaven), but a checkbox to set the leaders to be women or either gender is of course way too UNHISTORICAL :byodood: so it's not allowed!

Sorry, it just bugs me so much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

They've already added this

Well I totally missed that this was a thing now, I was completely sure that this wasn't in 1.4 but apparently I'm wrong. I did only play 1.4 for a short while. Maybe I got confused when reading about the trade changes slated for 1.5 and managed to convince myself that it also included the UX improvements which had been discussd previously.

So I guess if you set all of the stuff you want to retain (which I guess would be food and anything you want to specifically keep large surpluses of) as denied and turn on auto accept and don't trade away capital surplus then the system nearly automates itself which is cool. It would be nice if you could also set certain goods to be automatically imported where possible, so you don't need to manually set up trade routes in every province, but perhaps the upcoming trade changes will make this less of a thing you're likely to want to do anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Poil posted:

In EU4 they graciously allow you to play a matrilineal monarchy as a custom nation if you set the ruler and heir to both be women (as long as your ruler never dies without an heir because if that happens it's back to men only). You can set your custom starting traditions to let women be generals and admirals and a 100% chance for advisors too. This naturally weakens you because you effectively have two less bonuses than all other nations in the game. Still can't have women ruling republics, theocracies or tribes of course. The most incredible pirate ever was a woman but naturally you can't have your pirate republic be lead by one. Technically you can start your custom nations of those types with a woman but you can only ever get men after she dies.

You can set up a Jewish Finnish steppe horde in the eastern Andens with traditions based on giving your extra church power (protestant mechanic that doesn't even exist until the reformation) and meritocracy (government strength for the Chinese mandate of heaven), but a checkbox to set the leaders to be women or either gender is of course way too UNHISTORICAL :byodood: so it's not allowed!

Sorry, it just bugs me so much.

I had no idea EU4 was so dire still. I have not played it in ages. Really makes me appreciate CK2 and how CK3 will be handling it. CK3 will have rules options at the start to say gently caress it, turn all leaders into women for a reverse of the usual game.

But still not including the option for enatic as a game rule option or even just something for modders in loving 2020 is insane. :psyduck:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I still maintain that generals gaining the loyalty of the legions under their command is a loving fantastic anti-doomstack measure, and is the one thing from 1.0 that I think absolutely still works. That one can stay.

It's a neat idea, but it just leads to micromanagement where army management is "solved", and just tedious and takes time to do right. Kind of like EU4, where there's just optimal army composition, and either you micro the way your armies reinforce, etc., or you're playing suboptimally, no in between. Never been a big fan of attention taxes like that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Beamed posted:

It's a neat idea, but it just leads to micromanagement where army management is "solved", and just tedious and takes time to do right. Kind of like EU4, where there's just optimal army composition, and either you micro the way your armies reinforce, etc., or you're playing suboptimally, no in between. Never been a big fan of attention taxes like that.

Isn't there always gonna be an optimal solution to most things though? Especially army composition where there's a really obvious test of "will it win the battle?"

Like you could have lots of fun options to customise your army with different units and tactics, but eventually a nerd is gonna test all the combinations and make a spreadsheet that tells you which solution is statistically most likely to win. I dunno what the alternative would be.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I loaded the game for the first time in months and holy poo poo things changed.

Religion is different.. there's supplies, cant seem to start with as much armies as i did.

Should have done more than just glanced at this thread to keep up with the changes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

fuf posted:

Isn't there always gonna be an optimal solution to most things though? Especially army composition where there's a really obvious test of "will it win the battle?"

Like you could have lots of fun options to customise your army with different units and tactics, but eventually a nerd is gonna test all the combinations and make a spreadsheet that tells you which solution is statistically most likely to win. I dunno what the alternative would be.

The point is EU4 has an optimal army composition for the whole game with very few exceptions. As in if you are not a Horde or Poland you should have no more than 2 cavalry, infantry and artillery as much as width/supply allows. You don't really care what the enemy brings. In I:R you're supposed to care about enemy army composition and culture and tactics. You find the optimal solution for each war, not for the whole game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

fuf posted:

I agree, but I guess the problem with it is viability. Like micromanagement always making non-micro unviable in MP, for example, means you have no real choice but to micro. Same with if you play some of the smaller city states (though once you get to medium size even Rome and Carthage just fall apart).

I'm a big personal believer that games should be many interesting choices with feedback, and having always "best" choices removes that, if best is so much better than the next option.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

The point is EU4 has an optimal army composition for the whole game with very few exceptions. As in if you are not a Horde or Poland you should have no more than 2 cavalry, infantry and artillery as much as width/supply allows. You don't really care what the enemy brings. In I:R you're supposed to care about enemy army composition and culture and tactics. You find the optimal solution for each war, not for the whole game.

ah yeah ok that is a big difference

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

If anyone wants to write up what's changed I can add it to the OP.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/gameimperator/status/1292853272307474434?s=20

Menander update out tomorrow.

Patch notes:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-dev-diary-and-release-announcement.1410501/

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 10, 2020

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

For once I managed to get my achievement before patch! Finally got Mare Nostrum yesterday.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

quote:

AI will now achieve donkey

Finally!

Games>Imperator Rome: AI will now achieve donkey

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 10, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Excited to check this out soon, I have been waiting for the republic rework ever since I heard of it so it will be a good excuse to finally commit to the Rome game I've wanted to do for forever

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I really hope that they extend that republican faction system to some kind of monarchic factionalism thing, monarchies need more internal politics too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

I really hope that they extend that republican faction system to some kind of monarchic factionalism thing, monarchies need more internal politics too.

I would like to see that as well though I imagine monarchic factions would be less ideological and more focused around personal relationships between individual courtiers and the royal family. So perhaps a more dynamic system is needed for them.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What will change for city development now that high pop cities are being nerfed?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It all depends how things work out but I suppose either it will still be worth trying to cram all your pops into a single city - but with a higher opportunity cost - or the cost is sufficiently high that multiple cities in a single province actually makes sense now. Nobles and citizens produce trade routes, and trade routes give bonuses to the entire province that they're in, which might make multi-city provinces more useful. The only type of scaling which is fixed per individual city is the city buildings themselves.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The new culture UI is really good. It has virtually all of the information you could want to see, several different ways of ordering and filtering individual cultures, and is very clean and easy to understand.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I haven't played this game since release. Are there any good getting started guides for the more recent patches?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RabidWeasel posted:

The new culture UI is really good. It has virtually all of the information you could want to see, several different ways of ordering and filtering individual cultures, and is very clean and easy to understand.

The simplified senate with individual influence is much better as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Lucinice posted:

I haven't played this game since release. Are there any good getting started guides for the more recent patches?

1.5 has changed a gently caress ton of the underlying mechanics in ways that sound not that big a deal but can be quite gamechanging so it's probably best to just start playing until you lose because you did something dumb.

Just for example stability now reduces 1% pop happiness for all pops for every point below 50, it used to be 0.8% for only primary culture pops. This means that low stability + lots of already pissed off non-integrated pops can completely tank your economy where before it was more manageable. AE also reduces stability now so it's easy to get into a really bad place if you expand too fast.

E: Someone on Reddit posted that the cause of apparently random crash bugs (widely reported) is mousing over province modifiers so uh don't do that until they hotfix it hopefully soon.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 12, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Welp, turns out the Gregorian Calendar mod I was using breaks the new culture screen, rip one promising run

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Lucinice posted:

Paradox just uploaded a 5-part tutorial series to YouTube. Haven’t watched it yet so I have no idea how in depth it gets or how much it covers new stuff, but it’s something.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I started a new game as Heraclaia Ponticia and almost the first thing that happened was my two idiot sons constantly bickering over the succession until one of the straight up murdered the other one :iia:

Luckily they had identical stats so no horse in that race, you go have fun kids.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like the new senate system, its more about trying to manage the approval of entire political parties rather than trying to track individual relationships between senators.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I've started a casual game as Ionia. It's very chill to be a feudatory of Agemonid empire or whatever it's called. I just make money and produce science. I guess I could also build fleet and raid or something.

I've decided to test how anti-wargame can I be in this game. I really like EU4 for being a fine strategy game with balanced simulationist approach and some time ago I was disappointed I:R no longer tries to do the same. You get a lot of simulationist games like Victoria or Stellaris or CK2 but only EU4 feels special to me. Anyway I feel that at the moment anyone who wants a toy instead of a game should try Imperator. You get events, much more complex internal development, religion, politics. It's fun to juggle those even without going to war.

My only concern is that unlike those games I've listed I:R is probably easy to lose if you don't start as a Feudatury like me. So you have to be a wargamer at least in the early stages. Maybe later they implement some sort of provincial government so that you can be absorbed in other states like in CK2 where your dynasty rarely is in existential danger.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It takes a bit to get into the Imperator groove - you start thinking you're playing as a nation like EU4, but then you realise you're actually playing as the ruler like CK. But you can't roleplay as them because you still need to act like you're playing as the state. So you ping pong between them for a while until you reach a kind of equilibrium.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Loving all the cultural changes and the government changes with republics being much more playable now, but I have a new bugbear.

After playing a lot with EU4 and dealing with its various peace options, the anemic peace options in Imperator are incredibly annoying. I understand why they don't want you to be able to demand money like you do in EU4 since money is one of the only real currencies in the game but at least let me demand a certain number of slave pops or technology or something.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I mean let's be real the game has tons of holes in still, anything which hasn't explicitly been "fixed" since release is going to be garbage and war resolution is one of those things.

Also as much as I like the new culture system it needs a balance pass, almost everything you can do on the culture tab is not actually worth the cost in stability and primary culture happiness.

Stability is mega important now and there's a lot of old and new things which need to change to fit in with this.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I got CTD, restarted from the last autosave and soon got CTD again. Doesn't seem to be connected to any of my actions. Guess I'll put it back on my waiting list for a while.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ilitarist posted:

I got CTD, restarted from the last autosave and soon got CTD again. Doesn't seem to be connected to any of my actions. Guess I'll put it back on my waiting list for a while.

They reported that they found what's causing the crashes (or at least some crashes) internally and they're just making sure nothing else is extremely broken until releasing the hotfix so I doubt it will be any later than tomorrow evening.

E:

Posting that seems to have done the trick as the hotfix just got released :v:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 13, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Nice, too bad Total War Saga Troy was released for free just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I feel like I would have way more fun playing the game if the game didn't start with the three gently caress off massive empires dominant empires in the most interesting parts of the map.