Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

And then we finally get Janes World at War!

I remember that issue of PC Gamer so clearly.

https://archive.org/details/PCGamer199904/mode/1up

So many memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Seriously this -- fly the two free planes around for kicks. You can't beat the price.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The devs were asked about a career mode in today's Q&A stream. They were kind of vague and noncommittal about the idea of doing one but right after that they also said it was something they were already working on, so i dunno what to make of that. Maybe they're just prototyping various ideas at the moment. They said they don't want anything that's too guided, and that everything should feel realistic--no arcadey missions or anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 13, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I really can't imagine a driving sim being integrated intosfs. At least not soon, or by the original devs, and/or in a big scope.

You'd need to handcraft immense amounts of scenery to make the world look not terrible from the ground, and in addition you'd need to cover far more ground than in, say, Euro Truck where the world is heavily condensed.

I'd expect ships or trains to come first - far less to worry about.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Arcadey missions are one thing, but I hope they don't strip out all the fun in a career mode to appease the airliner spergs. The FSX mission with the UFO in it, for instance, was great. Even just tossing in some flavor text about having to fly with minimum fuel because the four hunters you're taking up north turned out to each weigh 300 pounds -- that sort of quirkiness and worldbuilding makes things entertaining. Not just flying the virtual cattle car between Cleveland and Milwaukee over and over.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bad news everyone, game is delayed three weeks until Sept 8th. They found a bug in the flight model, and they need to work it out. Someone captured some footage of the issue:

https://i.imgur.com/nWODusR.mp4

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Arcadey missions are one thing, but I hope they don't strip out all the fun in a career mode to appease the airliner spergs. The FSX mission with the UFO in it, for instance, was great. Even just tossing in some flavor text about having to fly with minimum fuel because the four hunters you're taking up north turned out to each weigh 300 pounds -- that sort of quirkiness and worldbuilding makes things entertaining. Not just flying the virtual cattle car between Cleveland and Milwaukee over and over.

I agree. I enjoy liner sperging when I have the mood, but even still, it is still insanely weird to me that a whole subset of simmers want nothing more than to get the exact livery for the exact plane that flies the exact route with expensive payware airports at each end of this specific route and then press the buttons exactly, forever. Flight Sim lets you play pretend all the cool parts of being a pilot and those folks are like, "No, it is the boring part I want to do forever." Make up a fake airline that flies from your home airport to all the cool places you want to visit IRL! Pretend you're some fancy charter service that goes to exotic or hard to reach places where your 737 is barely qualified to land/takeoff. Even when I tubeline I don't like to visit the same place twice, generally. Air travel is exciting precisely because it goes everywhere and anywhere!

This doesn't even get into all the fun of everything other than tubelining with the GA stuff.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want them to get water physics up and running well so that I can sail tall ships around the world.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

I want them to get water physics up and running well so that I can sail tall ships around the world.

They should use the sea of thieves ocean physics for the game. Also add the megladon and kraken from that game.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm looking at the departure procedures in VFR flight for KCHO and getting confused.

"Climb to 1500 on 030 turn direct GVE vortac."

Does this mean they expect me to fly over that VOR station before proceeding on course? If not, how long do I fly on a radial towards the VOR station before going on my merry way?

"For climb in visual conditions" (ok, so maybe the previous thing i mentioned is only for IFR?)... "For climb in visual conditions: cross airport at 1700 proceed direct GVE VORTAC before proceeding on course"

Having trouble understanding here how I would VCOA flying direct to GVE vortac after takeoff on 030. I don't think that path would take me over the airport unless I take the sharpest 90 bank turn to the right immediately after getting a few hundred feet of the ground.

What is it that I'm missing here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1) Yes, in the standard departure they want you to continue flying 030, i.e. the runway heading, until you are at 1500 feet, then turn to home on the VOR. You would fly until you pass over the station (continuing to climb) and make your next turn at that point.

2) The VCOA (visual climb over airport) is an alternate departure if you can't achieve the 342 feet per nautical mile climb specified in the takeoff minimums. In that case you would take off and immediately make spiraling climbing turns over the airport until you're at 1700 feet, then turn to the VOR and continue as above.

Both of the departures are IFR, btw. The visual part means the pilot has to visually keep the airport in sight but it's still an IFR technique. If you were flying VFR you just do a standard VFR departure of your choice and go on your merry way, avoiding the terrain and obstacles on your own.

(disclaimer: I don't have an instrument rating, maybe a pilot who does can chime in)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 14, 2020

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Sagebrush is correct, this is a procedure for flight under IFR. VCOA's are for meeting obstacle clearance minimums when the required climb gradient can't be met. If you're flying a VCOA (again, under IFR with Visual Meteorological Conditions 3 statute miles (SM) around the airport), it means you have:

- Determined you can't meet the published minimum CG (climb gradient) for the Take-off & Obstacle Departure Procedure
- Weather within 3SM of the airport that is at or above VFR minimums
- Asked for it/told the controller you're doing it

VCOA's only exist when there are obstacles outside 3SM of the airport that require a CG of greater than 200 feet per NM.

EDIT: here's a handy-dandy guide to fall asleep to: Instrument Procedures Handbook

You can see on the sectional chart that there are indeed obstacles off the DER marked with little mountains.

EDIT again: More fun links because sectional charts are so cool.

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 14, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Well, their whole design philosophy appears to be that this product is a simulation first and foremost. I think some of that talk is just to appease the hardcore simmers, but they don't seem to want to encourage the player do anything that a real pilot wouldn't/can't do. And that's the angle they appear to be approaching a prospective career mode from. Which isn't to say it'd just be nothing but regular-rear end airline flights, but from the way they're talking I'd count out something like that UFO mission. Unusual flight conditions would be a fun addition that doesn't seem like it'd go against their philosophy.

edit: and to reemphasize, a career mode isn't something they've confirmed as definitely happening, just something they're looking into doing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Amazon has T.16000 HOTAS in stock and shipping next week for $150. Not their cheapest price ever, but about MSRP.
https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA/

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Darnit. I ordered a new 1TB SSD drive earlier this week to be ready for monday, but it looks like it won't make it time. I went for a cheap model that wasn't readily available on the shelf.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I've dusted off an ancient Logitech Extreme 3D for this. Is a thrust slider that doesn't suck the main benefit of a HOTAS setup?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SuperTeeJay posted:

I've dusted off an ancient Logitech Extreme 3D for this. Is a thrust slider that doesn't suck the main benefit of a HOTAS setup?

That plus more buttons, and some have analog control sticks/nubs that are handy to have in combat and space games.

If after loving around with the Logitech you decide to get something nicer, but don't necessarily care about a HOTAS, then the VKB Gladiator is a great all-in-one stick.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

SuperTeeJay posted:

HOTAS is definitely more important if you play combat sims. Civilian flight is so relaxed and usually equal parts flying with the stick as it is fiddling with knobs with your mouse, so it's not that important. But when flying combat it's important to now have to take your hands of the controls.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shine posted:

That plus more buttons, and some have analog control sticks/nubs that are handy to have in combat and space games.

If after loving around with the Logitech you decide to get something nicer, but don't necessarily care about a HOTAS, then the VKB Gladiator is a great all-in-one stick.

Speaking of the Gladiator, VKB already phased out the K model they introduced just two months ago (lol) and are replacing it with a new version that will be available for order starting a few days from now. This new NXT is meant to be part of a modular set where you can plug different components directly into each other. Seems like there are fewer buttons and stuff on the base but that may not be a big deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The media and youtube people have the release build and are allowed to post videos of it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSYOZVkiWqM

I'm not a big airliner guy but I have to admit that 787 looks beautiful. Kind of a shame how a lot of the systems aren't simulated currently. And there still seems to be some navigation bugs with autopilot. I'm glad I'm mostly interested in GA because the airliners in this game, aesthetics aside (they look great), seem kind of shoddily implemented. The business jets and stuff seem okay as long as they fix the autopilot weirdness on those too. I think I'd like to see the Citation Longitude, SR22, and Shock Ultra before deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on the $120 version.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if the controls on the dreamliner and etc are rigged up so that the buttons and all can flip and indicators work even if they don't do anything, so it would be possible to mod the behaviors to make them do stuff and make the systems much more accurate without having to edit the model and stuff. Cos if that's the case it's probably much more feasible that the community could do that kind of thing themselves with a free open project and elevate it up to the desired levels.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 14, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the controls on the dreamliner and etc are rigged up so that the buttons and all can flip and indicators work even if they don't do anything, so it would be possible to mod the behaviors to make them do stuff and make the systems much more accurate without having to edit the model and stuff. Cos if that's the case it's probably much more feasible that the community could do that kind of thing themselves with a free open project and elevate it up to the desired levels.

This kind of thing may not be so easy. The devs' answer during yesterday's Q&A on the question about free user mods was really weird and confusing, but then again the question was phrased weirdly too (it seemed to be asking if users could put stuff on the marketplace). The dev answer seemed to indicate there won't be any SDK access for non-partners at all...? And that modability may be limited, with only MS-approved addons being functional. The dev ended with "but you'll be able to do custom liveries." Yeah, great. I dunno, maybe I misunderstood the answer. Very possible.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This kind of thing may not be so easy. The devs' answer during yesterday's Q&A on the question about free user mods was really weird and confusing, but then again the question was phrased weirdly too (it seemed to be asking if users could put stuff on the marketplace). The dev answer seemed to indicate there won't be any SDK access for non-partners at all...? And that modability may be limited, with only MS-approved addons being functional. The dev ended with "but you'll be able to do custom liveries." Yeah, great. I dunno, maybe I misunderstood the answer. Very possible.

So we won't see people modding the Dreamliner control panels to run DOOM? Sad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a transcript of the Q&A somewhere?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

They said the SDK will be available for everyone.

Sounded like updates to default aircraft aren't possible because of licensing issues with the manufacturers. But they might add things to the default planes in future updates.

Edit: The Software Engineer guy also mentioned that you could update the default aircraft settings but the game would see it as a different aircraft. It sounded like the concern was people cheating challenges or multiplayer by modding a default plane (like making it faster). Liveries will be the only "mod" that the game will see as still being the default plane.

They also talked about the ability to tweak the plane's performance using in-game settings. So, for example, you could make the game's C172 fly exactly like your real life C172.

Some other news from the QA: They've watched every single streamer video and recorded all the bugs. He mentioned a lot of the time the bugs in the videos have already been fixed but the preview build wasn't the latest version.

The autopilot is super complicated because each plane is unique and different. Airbus AP system is different than Boeing but in FSX they were all the same system. So they make fixes to each one at a time. And sometimes updates on one plane break another but the AP team is their largest team right now working on updates.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 14, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaeAhxmPodM

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not a big airliner guy but I have to admit that 787 looks beautiful. Kind of a shame how a lot of the systems aren't simulated currently. And there still seems to be some navigation bugs with autopilot. I'm glad I'm mostly interested in GA because the airliners in this game, aesthetics aside (they look great), seem kind of shoddily implemented.

Welcome to PMDG country. Every airplane will be improved upon by a third party, so unless the scenery is much improved the base game + $60 towards a great 3rd party plane might be where I end up.

I’m with you, show the Citation you cowards!

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

sellouts posted:

I’m with you, show the Citation you cowards!

It is not super great :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Great! Someone will improve upon it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
In the QA they also mentioned they contacted every airline about adding their livery. They said some airlines responded and some have other priorities right now but they want to add a lot in the future.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I have zero expectations for the default planes in MSFS. If some of them are fun, it's a plus, but I'm not expecting study level stuff. That will be 3rd party payware.

As long as the default planes entertain long enough for the 3rd party market to catch up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The default planes are mostly improvements over default planes in prior iterations. The G1000 and most of the autopilots in the beta are still broken as gently caress though.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

MrYenko posted:

The default planes are mostly improvements over default planes in prior iterations.

I agree with this. The simpler-in-RL planes like the various Cubs, the sportcruiser, etc look and feel really nice and fun and the Icon A5 is an absolute hoot.

A lot of the more typical GA planes feel really similar since they're all G1000 based, which has both upsides and downsides. It's a nice G1000, but it has some problems.

Also we discovered that simultaneous reception of COM1/COM2 doesn't work even though all the audio panel buttons are clickable and make it seem like it's working. The sim uses the COM1/2 TX button to control both transmitting and reception. We filed a bug, hopefully an easy fix.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Any word on if VRS Tacpack and/or Superbug will be ported over to FS2020? Cruising in tubes is fine and all, but there's some thrill in patrolling your state in an F-18E clearing the skies of COVID infections.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So if I buy this on Steam, does it install in the Steam directory like a normal Steam game or will the Steam version just download some downloader that hides the game in those weird, locked-off Microsoft directories on the drive?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I preinstalled FS2020 with the xbox installer on my PC and it claims it needs something like 150 gigs but it finished downloading with only a couple dozen gigs downloaded. Anyone else see the same thing?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

So if I buy this on Steam, does it install in the Steam directory like a normal Steam game or will the Steam version just download some downloader that hides the game in those weird, locked-off Microsoft directories on the drive?

It's the latter (the game downloads its own content packages) but it's not hidden and locked off, you can choose wherever you want to put them. Same as Windows store.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rincey posted:

It's the latter (the game downloads its own content packages) but it's not hidden and locked off, you can choose wherever you want to put them. Same as Windows store.

Ok thanks. So is there a more recommended platform? Is it worth it to get this on Steam or is everybody buying and downloading straight from MS?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think it matters but I assume most people getting it from the MS store are only doing it because they have GamePass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Based on what we know today it doesn't matter if you are paying cash and not using GamePass.

In the past, some games/sims with dual distribution have had patches come more slowly to Steam than their native distribution/store, so if you care about that, Windows Store might be your jam.

FWIW Asobo gave at least one media partner a Steam key instead of a Windows key so it seems they don't care either :confused: