Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For a while the Sony Heisei/Millennium double-packs could be found at Walmart for less than $10 each, so I snapped all of them up when I could. I think I paid full price for G84 when it came out but that was the only pricy one.

That period around G'14's release was amazing. I'm pretty sure I have every US bluray release of Godzilla. It was the perfect time to buy Godzilla movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timby posted:

I really should have done that way back when. I still can't recall the last time I saw the original Japanese version of The Return of Godzilla.

I have this one. It's got a nice price.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
My friend gave me all of the Heisei Godzillas on Blu-Ray for my birthday. He is a very good friend.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aren’t the Mothra Twins semi-psychic?

No, don't be ridiculous.

They're magic.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aren’t the Mothra Twins semi-psychic?

Yeah, and the lady from Venus in Ghidorah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

I have this one. It's got a nice price.

gently caress. brb gonna sell some more poo poo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Specifically, the Mothra Twins in the Showa Era are strangely not magical at all. They're the way they are because of radiation. Mothra herself is mystical but the twins are just mutant ESPers

Later they'd also be magical

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/GodzillaWiki/status/1291429381345288192

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

They should have made more black and white Godzilla movies

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

david_a posted:

They should have made more black and white Godzilla movies

Literally impossible. Japan was doing its damndest to keep up with the west in terms of film technology and '55 was it for their black and white films. After that they got full color going- Varan is the one blip because it was never meant to be a theatrical film, so they used older equipment.

I would have liked more black and white Godzilla tho

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

More films need a 1950's-style option

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Oof
https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1291801799893176326?s=20

Also, I need to see what's in the Godzilla Museum exclusive gift shop...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God I wish I could go to Japan next month. loving covid.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

God I wish I could go to Japan next month. loving covid.

I hear you. An event I was scheduled to be part of is happening now over there. :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So Amazon Prime has King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) to stream. This is the image they're using:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Godzilla museum has just dropped some big news, after Godzilla vs Kong they're planning to make seven remakes of the original Godzilla

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

The Godzilla museum has just dropped some big news, after Godzilla vs Kong they're planning to make seven remakes of the original Godzilla

W-what?

Do you mean seven new Godzilla movies or

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

I’d be down for seven Godzilla remakes if they’re giving each one to a different director and just letting them go hog wild with complete control and get their own unique takes on it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm not sure where they found that with seven unannounced Godzilla films https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/1291677929420623872?s=09

But I found this one with the one. I don't think its intended to be a remake, just 'Godzilla film planned'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure it was a joke, guys.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like how they include the Monsterverse and anime Godzillas so you know that not including the 98 one was an deliberate choice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

I like how they include the Monsterverse and anime Godzillas so you know that not including the 98 one was an deliberate choice.

I am a very spiteful man.

It made me very happy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Uh, clearly they're not going to remakes of the original. That would be redundant.

They're going to be seven sequels to the original Gojira that all ignore each other.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Davros1 posted:

So Amazon Prime has King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) to stream. This is the image they're using:

Yeah someone is uploading what are essentially bootlegs of a lot of the Showa movies. Amazon does not seem particularly interested in policing or quality control for Prime Video.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress it. I bought this giant (15” tall 22” long) Heisei Mosu Goji new over 25 years ago and I wanted to have fun with it to alleviate boredom.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d be down for seven Godzilla remakes if they’re giving each one to a different director and just letting them go hog wild with complete control and get their own unique takes on it.

that's basically what Shin Godzilla was, and it'd be awesome if they continued either letting other directors take over, or just have Anno make Shin 2.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

well why not posted:

that's basically what Shin Godzilla was, and it'd be awesome if they continued either letting other directors take over, or just have Anno make Shin 2.

Remake Godzilla vs Hedorah, but even trippier.

I actually mean that. That's my favorite and letting a fresh director just go all out on it would be awesome.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I seriously doubt Toho will ever use the Shin design again; Anno has stated he has zero interest in doing another Shin Godzilla (oh god I am so excited that he's doing Shin Ultraman) and I think that Toho will simply go in a completely different direction. Which is kind of a shame because Shin is my favorite Godzilla design in years and years. I would have really loved seeing Shin G vs Neo Hedorah.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I want to see those Shin Godzilla human hybrids we saw at the end of the film, because that's a terrifying evolution concept

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Godzilla Anime: What if really big Godzilla?

Me: Eh

Shin Godzilla: What if small man Godzilla?

Me: Holy poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Instead of doing a sequel to Shin Godzilla, they should make more Shin movies. Shin Mothra, Shin Rodan, Shin Q The Winged Serpent.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've been going through a ton of "Brandon Tenhold reviews..." on Youtube and I can tell he's genuine. Usually after he ribs the movie he'll be like, its still fine.

He actually JUST put up his Shin Gojira vid up an hour ago. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzfxlA7o2GI

That is a bit different than his normal style of going thru the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYeXMKqWMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnkmK3D7QQ

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Instead of doing a sequel to Shin Godzilla, they should make more Shin movies. Shin Mothra, Shin Rodan, Shin Q The Winged Serpent.

Mithra where she's the same exact character but no twins are around to say she means well so everyone is terrified would be cool.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Shin Godzilla design is really, really good within the movie but I feel like its too grotesque to be a general use design. I've found it slightly odd how Toho has been using it on so much general branding right now because of that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mandatory lesbian posted:

Mithra where she's the same exact character but no twins are around to say she means well so everyone is terrified would be cool.

Shin Mothra is like 20% giant monster movie, 80% The Lure.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Shiroc posted:

The Shin Godzilla design is really, really good within the movie but I feel like its too grotesque to be a general use design. I've found it slightly odd how Toho has been using it on so much general branding right now because of that.

Isn’t there some big Godzilla amusement park in japan where they use the shin design for evening? I saw something about zip lining into shin’s mouth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

I've been going through a ton of "Brandon Tenhold reviews..." on Youtube and I can tell he's genuine. Usually after he ribs the movie he'll be like, its still fine.

The only problem with Brandon's stuff is Toho will take your video down if you have even a hint of a man in a rubber suit in your video.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I seriously doubt Toho will ever use the Shin design again; Anno has stated he has zero interest in doing another Shin Godzilla (oh god I am so excited that he's doing Shin Ultraman) and I think that Toho will simply go in a completely different direction. Which is kind of a shame because Shin is my favorite Godzilla design in years and years. I would have really loved seeing Shin G vs Neo Hedorah.

This mean Shin Gamera is next?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Bee posted:

This mean Shin Gamera is next?

There was a concept video four years ago that was basically this and everyone was excited that it was for an upcoming Gamera project, but it turned out that the video was a tribute for Gamera’s anniversary and that was all.

God drat it’s still fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17brZrkOmKI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There was a concept video four years ago that was basically this and everyone was excited that it was for an upcoming Gamera project, but it turned out that the video was a tribute for Gamera’s anniversary and that was all.

God drat it’s still fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17brZrkOmKI

It's really weird how they released that video, got people excited, at the height of the Godzilla/kaiju revival, and just went "that's all folks!"