Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

dogstile posted:

Now if you run a southern company you can use slaves for that and your men won't give a poo poo when they eventually bite it, so it'll be even more effective.

"Changed the tails of Lindwurms to also exert a zone of control."

In theory this won't change much, but i fully expect this to loving destroy me the next time i go up against one.

You could kite lindwurms around by the tails not having ZoC and the head being locked to the tail move, which was always first. They are limited into a certain movement pattern by this and you could force their target choice by proximity, meaning you could outreach with polearms and archers with organized movements each turn. This ends that completely, which sucks since it made groups of them way more bareable to fight. Oh well though, it was extremely time consuming to actually do against more than 4-5.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mazz posted:

You could kite lindwurms around by the tails not having ZoC and the head being locked to the tail move, which was always first. They are limited into a certain movement pattern by this and you could force their target choice by proximity, meaning you could outreach with polearms and archers with organized movements each turn. This ends that completely, which sucks since it made groups of them way more bareable to fight. Oh well though, it was extremely time consuming to actually do against more than 4-5.

They better drop some good loving treasure after this patch.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:eyepop:

Ok this dude cost a grand to recruit but that includes the spear and shield. Nomads rule apparently.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I've also had really good luck with nomad recruits. Getting the equivalent of sellsword stats for militiaman prices. Although, playing with tryout not showing talent stars for the first time in ages is really eye-opening lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Serpents are loving dicks, jesus

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

dogstile posted:

Serpents are loving dicks, jesus

Yeah forewarned is forearmed and all that. Don't expect to keep formation with these pricks. They hit hard and love yanking your dudes out of place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay gently caress it Green Man Gaming putting on 10-15% discounts that's enough for me.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

quote:

Changed 'Indomitable' AP cost to 5, up from 3. The previous cost erased too much the choice between going offensive or defensive and allowed you to have the best of both.
Changed 'Adrenaline' skill to cost 1 AP, up from 0.

That. Nerfs. My. Go. To. Build. :11tea:

quote:

Changed damage of Heavy Javelin to 35-50, down from 40-55.
Changed damage of Heavy Throwing Axe to 30-50, down from 35-55.

And my throwing build. Good. Well, only a bit, but I stand by my right to to ineffectively rant into the void.

Allright TheoryCrafters. How do we plebs build now? :question: Slaver builds maybe? Get some proper tough fodder up and going could be good :whip:

EDIT: Do spiders seem to do more damage now? I could stand and trade with them well enough before, but now they are bashing through 200+ armour like it was paper.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 13, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Drakenel posted:

Yeah forewarned is forearmed and all that. Don't expect to keep formation with these pricks. They hit hard and love yanking your dudes out of place.

Yeah they're not so bad now that i just leap forward and stun them, but the first fight was just two guys getting yanked into the middle of a swarm and immediately getting eaten.

E: The manhunters getting a disposable body every time you fight humans seems like it could be decently strong. The buff they can give indebted is also not insignificant. At level 4 i'm giving them +13 to a ton of skills

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 13, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the nomads sure loving love their pocket sand

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Every fifth arena fight will be a bit harder".

And by a bit harder, they will loving destroy you unless you bring maxed out brothers to them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like the requirement for the Drill Sargent because it can be a really funny ingame story for your role playing

You just have to retire someone with a permanent injury.

"Yep... I'm a grizzled veteran and I'll whip you all into shape! Oh, how many battles have I been in? Just one- the company leader hired me, put me in sackcloth with a wooden club in my hand, and had me charge some bandit with a two-handed flail who knocked my eye out while the rest of the company killed his men."

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a drill sergeant is the one guy who can remotely keep his cool while explaining the torrent of poo poo that'd come down on your head for loving up.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I did not realize how much I loved my old seed until right now; all the towns were on the same road in a big circle with only a handful of outliers and they were still connected by road. Every seed I load now it looks like a loving nightmare to travel.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Nordick posted:

:eyepop:

Ok this dude cost a grand to recruit but that includes the spear and shield. Nomads rule apparently.

What’s the unmodified stamina on that dude? I wonder if that background is available to peasant starts...

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Anecdotally I'm seeing a lot more beast trophies drop. I'm getting a fair amount of early contracts to kill 3 alps for 400-500g around day 16. They're no real threat in such small numbers and I'm walking away with 3 or 4 trophies each time. With selling the trophies, it's about a 1100 gold come-up and since alps don't damage your armor, you're not going in the red on repair costs at all either

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I would hope so, nothing traditionally noble about being a nomad. If so, bit of a buff to the peasant start.

Also nomad gear is also very good. Started a northern raiders game to get the auld varangian guard vibe going. Arenas easy money with three level 3 dudes but I could see it becoming punishing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Not sure I like fighting nomads very much. Outlaws seem much more difficult than Bandit Raiders, they love two-handed weapons which means they're breaking shields in one turn (even the southern metal shields don't last more than a turn or two) and then killing bros very quickly, and their sand-throwing (which is a low-AP move so they can do a 6-AP two-handed attack plus throw sand all in one turn) reduces your damage and makes them slower to kill. Maybe there's a trick to fighting them that I haven't figured out yet, but so far they seem like a pretty big difficulty jump for an early-game company.

Also I'm playing peasants and haven't seen any nomads for hire yet, so I think they don't count as lowborn unfortunately.

e: wrote this whole post and also forgot that they come with whips which they use to disarm your best damage dealers every turn, again reducing how fast you can kill them and stop getting 2-handed to death

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 14, 2020

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Sounds like mace bros are a good answer, and with them taking out the 2 hand + indomitable combo I see myself using mace bros more often. Like, I understand them making adrenaline 1 AP but why 5 for Indomitable, drat.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
12 arena fights bumped my man to a veteran, increased bonus to +10 resolve and 50% survive non-fatality down

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ixtlilton posted:

Sounds like mace bros are a good answer, and with them taking out the 2 hand + indomitable combo I see myself using mace bros more often. Like, I understand them making adrenaline 1 AP but why 5 for Indomitable, drat.

Daze got nerfed which sucks for 2h maces but the lack of other "defensive offensive" options does make them more tempting.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I think I'm gonna restart, this seed I got just sucks rear end. Aside from the three southern city states, there are only two bigger cities plus a couple decent citadels on the map, and they are all way the gently caress up in the north, the biggest one being in the very corner of the map. And everything in between is a total bitch to move around in, just little pissant villages strew about in the wilderness.

Look at this poo poo. The two white banners on the top left are a citadel and a city, and the red one way up in the top right corner is the biggest non-southern city on the map. It's a total bitch to get to with all the goddamn mountains and how the roads are laid out. Argh. I wish I didn't have this weird compunction against playing with a pre-selected seed.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I've had decent luck with my southern mercenaries start on seed "revachol". Decent starting brothers but the real kick is the fact that the three southern city states share a border with a northern kingdom with two cities, one of which is a harbor city. Trade loop has been killer so far with that

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any events to clear an indebted of their background? Got one with 3 stars in both MA and MD.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any events to clear an indebted of their background? Got one with 3 stars in both MA and MD.

If you're not playing manhunters I think they can level up as normal rather than being at 7 forever, so he should be fine.

I haven't encountered one yet that changes it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rideANDxORdie posted:

I've had decent luck with my southern mercenaries start on seed "revachol". Decent starting brothers but the real kick is the fact that the three southern city states share a border with a northern kingdom with two cities, one of which is a harbor city. Trade loop has been killer so far with that

I picked a Gladiator start with the seed "thestooges" and the map is pretty cool (more accessible cities and there's actually a harbor village way up north), but oof the gladiator start is rough. The three bros are good but not THAT good, and even with high starting funds they only get 950 gold to start with. I might just cave in and play with Beginner economic difficulty. I'm too tired and depressed these days to deal with veteran/veteran.

Might also check out your seed. Would be fitting since I just started a new DE playthrough the other day.

Revachol forever.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really like the bear's skill where he takes progressively less damage the more he gets hit. I abused it when experimenting last night by having him chop his way through a bunch of stick wielding dudes before heading up to the actually dangerous guy leading them. Kinda want more skills like that to show up, even if they're super rare.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm just here to say that if you play a Southern Mercenary company and don't name yourself Djinn and Juice you're playing wrong

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The retinue is an excellent addition, some hard choices there

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nordick posted:

I picked a Gladiator start with the seed "thestooges" and the map is pretty cool (more accessible cities and there's actually a harbor village way up north), but oof the gladiator start is rough. The three bros are good but not THAT good, and even with high starting funds they only get 950 gold to start with. I might just cave in and play with Beginner economic difficulty. I'm too tired and depressed these days to deal with veteran/veteran.

Might also check out your seed. Would be fitting since I just started a new DE playthrough the other day.

Revachol forever.

When I tried gladiators I stayed in my starting city for the first while just doing arena fights, which is kinda perfect because the three gladiators can steamroller most arena enemies, and the income from the arena is more than enough to pay their wages every day, plus you can pick up occasional contracts from the city to fill time between daily fights and hire new bros over time to fill out your company.

On the other hand, literally the first time I tried to go to another city I got ambushed by a whole six nomads and murdered because their two whips meant two of my gladiators were reduced to punching every turn, so it seems like sticking around the south too long as a low-level company is begging for death.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I feel like carrying a 2nd weapon in everyone's belt is going to be almost necessary in the south so that whip nomads don't just completely shut down one of your units with disarm while still dealing damage. Or at least have a dagger bro with multiple daggers built to rush them down

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 14, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Are nets super cheap now compared to before? I don't remember them only costing 64 gold. Makes me actually consider using them regularly.

E: Also if you're using the gladiators start hover over their backgrounds, low brow humour but it made me chuckle.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I suspect that the devs have gone for a faster lighter playstyle with the southern cities, the nomads with whips wouldn't mean a lot of you were sending a wave of slaves at them. But it'll punish mid tier bros in a big way. You can still tank bro your way up to them and beat them to death when you get to them.

Also I think throwing weapons ate that nerf because of duelist backgrounds being a thing with the assassin background.

What's truly remarkable about the South is the lack of man with crossbow. May have to introduce them to the concept.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

Battling Broletariat

Very late to this party but holy *poo poo*, dude. Ushankas off to you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
loving great. Just Settling in to a nice evening of battle brothers and I get a power failure.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Played all day after work. Got lucky and hired a bunch of decent beggars. The serpent's surprised me when they pulled one of my bros close and then one shot him.

Rip Ernst. Eaten by a snake.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Seed: jiYsapepaZ

This is a relatively decent Gladiator map which I pulled from the Lone Wolf database. North hat citadels with smelter/furnace. Ras Sanan has a port, so you can get back fast.

Lion has Sure Footing +5 def
Bear has Tough +10 hp
Viper has Dexterous +5 matk

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 14, 2020

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Looking at the free patch changes:

I know some of the perks have been discussed already, but there's some nice QoL stuff and some balance changes to a few weapons that are interesting. Also beast trophies being worth more money is a welcome change.

Am I reading that right? Did shield split get a nerf? Or is the Overwhelm debuff in addition to the shield damage?

Man I hope it's not the former :( I like that skill

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tentacles posted:

Am I reading that right? Did shield split get a nerf? Or is the Overwhelm debuff in addition to the shield damage?

Man I hope it's not the former :( I like that skill

Looks like Split Shield actually got buffed, it now overwhelms the enemy too. I guess to avoid the thing where you split someone's shield and they immediately get the Dual Grip bonus and do extra damage to you. Now you overwhelm them for the turn their shield is broken, so they're less likely to hit you right after you deshield them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Looks like Split Shield actually got buffed, it now overwhelms the enemy too. I guess to avoid the thing where you split someone's shield and they immediately get the Dual Grip bonus and do extra damage to you. Now you overwhelm them for the turn their shield is broken, so they're less likely to hit you right after you deshield them.

Thanks mate! Looks like there's a lot to like with this update/DLC. Update queued and trying to rustle up the energy to purchase Blazing Saddles Deserts.

Now I want a Blazing Saddles DLC for this game