Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

Do the pencils ever go on sale? I would like to get one for my pro before iPadOS 14 drops. The writing into text box feature sounds awesome.

Apple refurb has them for $85 for 1st gen and $109 for 2nd gen when they're in stock.

Amazon currently has "Amazon Refurbished" 1st gens for $90.

Best Buy occasionally has sales and open boxes than bring them down to the $70 - $80 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

APPLE: the iPad is a Real Computer now, because it runs Real Pro Apps like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office

ALSO APPLE: sorry you can't use any of our own pro apps - Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic - on the iPad

I suppose the calculator is a pro app. If you are doing amateur math at home you should be able to count the sums on your fingers

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Craig told MKBHD that the reason there isn’t a calculator app on the iPad is because of something to the effect of: “we don’t want to just create a calculator app; if we do it we want to make the best calculator app.”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm actually pretty salty that xCloud isn't coming to iOS now, I had even gotten an xbox one controller so I had a bluetooth solution for gamin'.

Woulda been pretty great on iPad :sigh:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

priznat posted:

I'm actually pretty salty that xCloud isn't coming to iOS now, I had even gotten an xbox one controller so I had a bluetooth solution for gamin'.

Woulda been pretty great on iPad :sigh:
Although I personally probably won’t use xCloud, I’m hoping it becomes too big of a success for Apple to ignore just so they loosen up on such a dumb App Store restriction.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I would have gotten the 2020 iPad if they allowed these services, including Stadia. I was hoping Apple finally loosened up with this draconian BS but I guess not...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who they're losing new sales from. iPad would be a perfect device for this type of stuff

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 8, 2020

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I’ve been running the beta now for a few weeks and gotta say it’s pretty underwhelming as a non-pencil user. Hopefully this is the last of the [New features, but annoyingly buggy]->[Not much new aside from tweaks and polish] tick-tock cycle since Apple has allegedly changed up its software development process. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-21/apple-ios-14-features-changes-testing-after-ios-13-bugs

UncleGuito posted:

I would have gotten the 2020 iPad if they allowed these services, including Stadia. I was hoping Apple finally loosened up with this draconian BS but I guess not...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who they're losing new sales from. iPad would be a perfect device for this type of stuff

Since anti-trust isn’t really a thing in the United States anymore, I’m kinda hoping Apple doesn’t escape the EU without a couple bumps and bruises over the App Store. Jobs was obviously full of poo poo when he announced the App Store as a break even proposition but after the Steam Link delays and now claiming this, along with the Xbox pass app because they can’t vet every game that may come to the platform is no less protectionist than if they had denied Netflix or Hulu because they couldn’t verify the content of every show that came to the platform.

With Apple Silicon on the horizon I’d hate to see Macs locked down in a similar fashion. I’m not much of a gamer overall but I have less than no interest in the whole lootbox/in-app purchase/gatcha shame spiral economy and Apple Arcade seems pretty “meh”. I’d like to at least have the option to use 3rd party services, and I’d really like to hear someone try to argue the harm in allowing more Netflix style apps that don’t have an in-app purchase mechanism but allow you to use existing services aside from “More money for us, gently caress you.”

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I’d really like to hear someone try to argue the harm in allowing more Netflix style apps that don’t have an in-app purchase mechanism but allow you to use existing services aside from “More money for us, gently caress you.”

This is actually the purpose of all these devices, though. Apple doesn’t make the iPad to improve your enjoyment of life or access to things you think are worthwhile. All these devices (phones, tablets, etc) exist to make the manufacturer money. So like, don’t buy the thing if you don’t like it. Try to get your friends to join you too I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple now makes more money from the App store and services then they do selling actual Mac hardware.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

tuyop posted:

This is actually the purpose of all these devices, though. Apple doesn’t make the iPad to improve your enjoyment of life or access to things you think are worthwhile. All these devices (phones, tablets, etc) exist to make the manufacturer money. So like, don’t buy the thing if you don’t like it. Try to get your friends to join you too I guess.

Yes, this is how capitalism works, thanks. The problem with this argument is that you can't make it to congress or the EU without getting a Microsoft sized slapdown.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/15/apple-eu-antitrust-app-store-364463

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I hope Apple gets hosed with these lawsuits. “We can’t review all the games” is such a weak excuse. Do they review all Netflix videos? All YouTube videos? Do they review the entire internet before allowing Chrome or Firefox onto the store?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Even smaller video apps are getting the runaround these days. On the latest WAN Show, they talked about how Floatplane (the premium video service from Linus Media Groups, which produces Linus Tech Tips) was getting screwed over by the app store. LMG doesn't let people sign up through the app because they don't want to give Apple a 30% cut of their revenue (since almost all their revenue gets paid out to the creators on their platform) so Apple says not only that they can't include any links in the app to let people sign up page on their site, you can't include any links to the site (including e.g. support pages for things unrelated to billing) and they can't show people any content they don't already have access to that they would need to pay more money to access (so they effectively can't advertise the benefits of buying a higher subscription tier within the app itself). If that wasn't bad enough, they also can't show any user comments in the app because Apple doesn't think they can moderate their comments as well as Youtube can :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4hTm6B9QQ&t=126s

(Skip to 2:06 if the timestamp doesn't work.)

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 9, 2020

The General
Mar 4, 2007

When I watch Prime Video the time and date, battery and bottom app bar thing all stay up. Anybody know how I fix it?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope Apple gets hosed with these lawsuits. “We can’t review all the games” is such a weak excuse. Do they review all Netflix videos? All YouTube videos? Do they review the entire internet before allowing Chrome or Firefox onto the store?

yeah, i assume the argument is apple expects individual games to be sold separately on the app store which allows them to review both the app itself and the content within, whereas individual movies/tv shows aren’t sold on the app store. it’s a nonsense argument, but i assume that’s the tact they’re going to take.
do they actually enumerate what the criteria is to be a “reader app” anywere?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Dang, I hadn't tried the floating keyboard before and this may be a game changer. Looking forward to this week.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the 12.9" iPad pro is out of stock everywhere i checked

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Meh, I was hoping to run Parsec, now that my provider is about to upgrade my upstream from 3Mbit to 35Mbit. Turns out they don't have an iPad client because of this cloud gaming bullshit rule. It's a selfhosted solution, so Apple can go gently caress themselves.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Totally the wrong spot to ask this but this is a bookmarked thread and I'm lazy, but can you play the xCloud thing on an Xbox?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

the 12.9" iPad pro is out of stock everywhere i checked

I had to wait a month for mine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Totally the wrong spot to ask this but this is a bookmarked thread and I'm lazy, but can you play the xCloud thing on an Xbox?

No it’s mobile only right now but eventually coming to windows. It’s part of gamepass though so yeah you can use it on the Xbox.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, i assume the argument is apple expects individual games to be sold separately on the app store which allows them to review both the app itself and the content within, whereas individual movies/tv shows aren’t sold on the app store. it’s a nonsense argument, but i assume that’s the tact they’re going to take.
do they actually enumerate what the criteria is to be a “reader app” anywere?

I could understand if xCloud was like Steam where you needed to buy each game you wanted to play, but isn't xCloud more like Netflix and/or Apple Arcade where you pay a subscription and can play everything in the catalog?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I could understand if xCloud was like Steam where you needed to buy each game you wanted to play, but isn't xCloud more like Netflix and/or Apple Arcade where you pay a subscription and can play everything in the catalog?

There are two options, remote xbox streaming where you stream your game library(every installed digital or what game is in the disc tray) from your console or xcloud streaming where you stream whatever is currently on gamepass from a server in an azure DC. The former was never available for iOS, the latter had a very limited beta.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 10, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Meh, I was hoping to run Parsec, now that my provider is about to upgrade my upstream from 3Mbit to 35Mbit. Turns out they don't have an iPad client because of this cloud gaming bullshit rule. It's a selfhosted solution, so Apple can go gently caress themselves.

They allow Rainway, which is the same though. :psyduck:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tuyop posted:

They allow Rainway, which is the same though. :psyduck:

rainway/steam link are essentially remote desktop apps, which ARE allowed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

sleepwalkers posted:

rainway/steam link are essentially remote desktop apps, which ARE allowed.

Yeah but that’s what Paraec is as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So Epic released a Fortnite update that lets you buy in-app currency directly from them.

Apple, predictable, removed Fortnite from the App Store. Google did the same.

Epic responded immediately by filing a lawsuit against both Apple and Google.

Everyone seems to agree/understand that this was pre-planned by Epic to goad Apple/Google into taking action because there is no way that they didn't see this happening. Now it's in the courts and I hope, once again, that

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: The situation in my quote and the current Epic IAP situation isn't the same thing at all. My quote was about them not letting a game streaming service onto the store and this one is about Epic wanting to keep 80% of IAP revenue (is that the right word?) vs 70% but the sentiment is the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Epic can get hosed IMO.

It’s like a vendor getting upset that a store front sells their item for more money and they want more of that money.

I am going to have to assume that the epic store doesn’t take a cut of any game sales on their store front.

Edit well maybe not exactly like that example but epic and still get hosed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I happened to watch some Linus Tech Tips clip on YouTube, where they went into how they had to castrate their Floatplane app into near uselessness because of Apple's dumbfuck IAP and content rules. Yeah, I hope they get hosed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I happened to watch some Linus Tech Tips clip on YouTube, where they went into how they had to castrate their Floatplane app into near uselessness because of Apple's dumbfuck IAP and content rules. Yeah, I hope they get hosed.

Do you have a link to that. I’m curious what they had to do.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's this one:

https://youtu.be/1QzHu-sjdB8

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

Even smaller video apps are getting the runaround these days. On the latest WAN Show, they talked about how Floatplane (the premium video service from Linus Media Groups, which produces Linus Tech Tips) was getting screwed over by the app store. LMG doesn't let people sign up through the app because they don't want to give Apple a 30% cut of their revenue (since almost all their revenue gets paid out to the creators on their platform) so Apple says not only that they can't include any links in the app to let people sign up page on their site, you can't include any links to the site (including e.g. support pages for things unrelated to billing) and they can't show people any content they don't already have access to that they would need to pay more money to access (so they effectively can't advertise the benefits of buying a higher subscription tier within the app itself). If that wasn't bad enough, they also can't show any user comments in the app because Apple doesn't think they can moderate their comments as well as Youtube can :lol:

You can skip to about 6 minutes in cause the first 6 months are just Two Guys Talking. Around 6 minutes is when they start to talk about everything Mr.Radar mentioned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eh.

I’m with Apple on the payment processing though. As and end user I really don’t want to give every app my payment method.

I’m not so sure on their other stuff though. I’m not totally buying into what they are saying.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

MarcusSA posted:

Eh.

I’m with Apple on the payment processing though. As and end user I really don’t want to give every app my payment method.

I’m not so sure on their other stuff though. I’m not totally buying into what they are saying.

As an end user I am comfortable deciding if I should put my card details into this app or website for myself. It’s great that Apple provides a single consistent payment gateway, but forcing everyone to use it and nothing else is a different story.

Besides, the rules are arbitrary. I can buy a physical book from amazon but not an ebook because that’s a digital product so Apple demands it must be an in-app-purchase. So then I have to load the amazon website to checkout my ebook instead. In what way is this safer or more convenient for me?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The thing I don't agree with is Apple won't even allow a direct link to open safari to the ebook on Safari (to go with the Kindle example).

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Proteus Jones posted:

The thing I don't agree with is Apple won't even allow a direct link to open safari to the ebook on Safari (to go with the Kindle example).

Yeah, they don't allow any text whatsoever- links, emails, etc- that explain users can subscribe/buy elsewhere. In the case of Netflix/Spotify, Apple made them remove even the most vague references to subscribing on their websites (Google doesn't do this), which at that point is just anti-consumer imo.

I think it's just a matter of time before Apple gets their hand forced on this.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 14, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m okay with having Just One App Store and Just One Payment Method but the caveat is that Apple needs to change their policies in a way that lets apps like xCloud and Spotify through with the option to subscribe in-app, and in a way that Epic could reduce their IAP to the $8 that they tried to charge.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lawsuits against Apple, who has billions of dollars of walking around money is definitely one way to spend all of that sweet Fortnight cash Epic has been making

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
any recommended non-apple covers/keyboards?

12.9" pro

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

My way of looking at this whole thing is basically: List product on amazon, at checkout say "Come to my website to finish purchase." List product on ebay, at checkout say, "To purchase send me a check." List product on App Store to purchase say "Visit my website to enter credit card" Are all 3 ok or are none of the 3 ok or what makes 1 of them ok and not the others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Hughlander posted:

My way of looking at this whole thing is basically: List product on amazon, at checkout say "Come to my website to finish purchase." List product on ebay, at checkout say, "To purchase send me a check." List product on App Store to purchase say "Visit my website to enter credit card" Are all 3 ok or are none of the 3 ok or what makes 1 of them ok and not the others?

Well one major difference is you can sell products on stores other than Amazon, auction items on sites other than eBay, but you can't distribute an app on iOS except through the app store. Secondly, in the first two instances you are bypassing the main function of the storefronts themselves, selling or auctioning items, while in the latter instance you might be selling a service to an ancillary subscription. Should Amazon be allowed to enforce payment via Amazon for all subscriptions for products sold via the Amazon storefront?