Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Jade Falcons becoming il-Clan would be a huge gently caress you to the fans and therefore awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

Jade Falcons becoming il-Clan would be a huge gently caress you to the fans and therefore awesome.

It would be consistent with their complete lack of any meaningful setbacks since their introduction, yeah

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I said come in! posted:

Still really want to get those awesome looking hexagon terrain pieces, and buildings.
The terrain looks like what came in the original Heroscape sets.

I still have a set somewhere; wish I'd bought more.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Defiance Industries posted:

It would be consistent with their complete lack of any meaningful setbacks since their introduction, yeah

Narratives aren’t scorecards.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Never sell your losses" isn't a narrative, it's bad writing

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The Falcons becoming the ilClan would rock, as they've been the only good guys for a long time now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

Narratives aren’t scorecards.

I'm like 50% sure Defiance Industries would have this beef with literally any Clan actually getting to be ilClan, regardless of their actual track record.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nah the problem with the Wolves winning is that it's bad narrative structure. You don't have a cliffhanger when the resolution is "and then the guy who you thought would win won." You split the story after that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
What if they actually do let the Smoke Jaguars win?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PoptartsNinja posted:

What if they actually do let the Smoke Jaguars win?

The Fidelis playing the long game and saying "we were Smoke Jaguars all along and Terra is ours! get hosed, nerds!" has been my guess for a while. The other Clans have either gone native and formed their own things or are obvious choices or are self-quarantined from Inner Sphere culture back in the Clan Homeworlds.

Barring a second Clan invasion from the Homeworld Clans that makes a successful lightning charge to Terra, Smoke Jaguars are the only option that would IMO both make sense and be surprising.

Wolves are too obvious, Jade Falcon is too obvious because they're the enemies of the obvious choice, and the others all seem content with their own fiefdoms in the IS and have essentially given up being Clans.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 13, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The idea that the Jaguars have spent the past 75 years secretly loathing Devlin Stone would be pretty great. The second he goes "hah I have my own Clan and I'm making them the ilClan!" and they shoot him in the face and then proceed to grind the Republic into a fine powder is a pretty fitting ending for the faction nobody liked.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Fidelis being all "We're the ilClan now! Smoke Jaguar Bitches!" right before there's an audible throat-clearing and the Wolverine banner drops down from the tallest buildings all over Terra.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't tease me with the stuff in Blake Documents being real. I will be ALL OVER adding "cannibal" to Nicholas Kerensky's occupations

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell's Horses- finally the heavy metal rulers of the galaxy

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Crosspost from the mini-painting thread.

I definitely don't have good enough detail brushes for work at mapscale, but I've always wanted to own a few 'Mechs this size. Just in case anyone was wondering how much of a hex a BattleMech actually occupies.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my lord those are adorable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"This is my house and this is ALSO my house."

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

The idea that the Jaguars have spent the past 75 years secretly loathing Devlin Stone would be pretty great. The second he goes "hah I have my own Clan and I'm making them the ilClan!" and they shoot him in the face and then proceed to grind the Republic into a fine powder is a pretty fitting ending for the faction nobody liked.

Uh excuse me there are plenty of Republic fans. Most of them just play the clix version of BattleTech.

There's talk of a multi-state clix tournament meet-up next July, so yeah that'll be cool.

My prediction is that Clan Wolf will become IlClan, but it's not what happens, but how it happens that I think will be interesting. I don't think Alaric Ward is just going to roll in and conquer Terra. Some of the products with forewords set in 3250 have mentioned there's still an Exarch in the era of the IlClan, and Shattered Fortress has Devlin mention striking a "deal with the devil", so the Republic and Clan Wolf striking a deal seems the most likely outcome of "Hour of the Wolf"

Also, new BattleTech fiction out today, Honor's Gauntlet. Here is the link. No POD version available yet.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Those are very cool.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Smoke Jaguar becoming the ilClan is the twist I've been hoping would happen ever since I read Forever Faithful. And I think it's fitting that the ilClan of 3250 is apparently still afraid of the Wolverines. At least, I'm pretty sure there was a blurb in either First Succession War or Second Succession War hinting at the Wolverines somehow being a threat in 3250.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
The short story "Redemption and Malice" has Wolverine survivors in it, hinting at their society. Not sure where to find it though.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Welp, called out a post on the Battletech subreddit from a few months ago where someone put Waffen-SS decals on their ‘Mechs and was told by a mod that because it isn’t illegal and doesn’t violate “Reddiquette” the post stays up. I always heard Reddit was a toxic cesspit but until now, had not seen that in the subs I’ve browsed. Most of the folks seem fine but I don’t think I’m overreacting when I say that a forum needs to have zero tolerance for Nazi poo poo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Each subreddit is its own little world and as long as they don't get Reddit into immediate legal trouble the subreddits are given a pass for a LOT of poo poo and are expected to self-moderate. Some of them (AskHistorians) do so to an astoundingly good degree. Others, like 99% of game-related subs, not so much.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

There's a lot of cool stuff in the Recognition Guides. The most recent one, vol 5, has a neat Clan Medium called the Hammerhead that has hardened armor and a loadout reminiscent of the Ursus, though a bit weaker. These little releases are nice buys, waiting for the compendium would probably be cool too.

I can't believe that, of my two wargames of choice, 30k has gone into near-hibernation and BattleTech now has extremely regular releases. What a world.

Also, a friend pointed out that Ironwind is starting to release metal variants of the new sculpts, along with a bunch of weapon bits. It's cool to see and I hope they keep doing it.

https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_234

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Played another game this weekend. 4v4 of lights and mediums. I'd forgotten how incredibly slow this game can be, especially if your opponent isn't familiar with the calculations.

We only have an introductory rulebook at the moment, but he wanted to do a DFA on my mech that had fallen in depth 1 water and so was submerged. Is that something that you can do? We kind of assumed you would have to first pass a piloting check to enter a water hex and then make the DFA roll as normal.

Also, I was looking at IWM and I swear I once saw a mech design that looked like a Hatamoto-chi but with a sword. Now I can't find it. Did I imagine it or get confused?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Played another game this weekend. 4v4 of lights and mediums. I'd forgotten how incredibly slow this game can be, especially if your opponent isn't familiar with the calculations.

We only have an introductory rulebook at the moment, but he wanted to do a DFA on my mech that had fallen in depth 1 water and so was submerged. Is that something that you can do? We kind of assumed you would have to first pass a piloting check to enter a water hex and then make the DFA roll as normal.

Also, I was looking at IWM and I swear I once saw a mech design that looked like a Hatamoto-chi but with a sword. Now I can't find it. Did I imagine it or get confused?

Was it the No-Dachi? https://www.sarna.net/wiki/No-Dachi

https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6681

https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9324

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They may also have been thinking of the Shiro

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

PoptartsNinja posted:

They may also have been thinking of the Shiro

Probably this one as the No-Dachi is a goofy looking fucker.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Atlas Hugged posted:

If it's submerged and you're not, you can't declare a DFA against it; see page 25, "Physical Attacks and Water". You could wade into water beside it and kick it though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think the official rulebook would go against it, but personally, I would allow it with the penalty you described. The thing about Battletech rules is that they're a little fast and loose beyond the core basics. As long as you and your opponent can come to an agreement, it should be fair game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xotl posted:

If it's submerged and you're not, you can't declare a DFA against it; see page 25, "Physical Attacks and Water". You could wade into water beside it and kick it though.

I'll check my book when I get home, but it's the intro rules from the Thor/Summoner box, not AGOAC.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
In that case you should find it on p. 49.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh psshaw, let them attempt a DFA into water and eat poo poo, what's the fun of Battletech if they don't learn the hard way?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xotl posted:

In that case you should find it on p. 49.

Thanks! You're an amazing resource to have in this thread.

Taintrunner posted:

Oh psshaw, let them attempt a DFA into water and eat poo poo, what's the fun of Battletech if they don't learn the hard way?

I fully intend to play however we feel like it in any given game, but it is handy to know where the actual rules are published.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Taintrunner posted:

I think the official rulebook would go against it, but personally, I would allow it with the penalty you described. The thing about Battletech rules is that they're a little fast and loose beyond the core basics. As long as you and your opponent can come to an agreement, it should be fair game.

I disagree about the rules being fast and loose. There is usually a rule, it can just take some searching in all of the different places it might be categorized.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah "fast and loose" is not how I'd describe BattleTech. There's a hard and fast rule for everything you are allowed to do, except for some really really niche stuff buried in TacOps that may be a victim of poor editing more than fast and looseness.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sure but failing a DFA into water is hilarious and should be encouraged

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are an irritating number of people who play fast and loose with the rules, though. I don't care if you've been playing it this way for 30 years, Hatchets do not always hit on the punch table.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I fuckin' love this Raven.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it could use an electronic doodad or two up top, but I like the shape of the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the painting thread. I'm pretty sure I'm now the only person who owns a Mad Cat Mk. II that actually fits inside a standard-size hex base.