Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Regarding buying vs leasing. I absolutely hate having monthly costs on stuff as I like to have as much cash available each month in order to cash other things (as well as being able to save as much as possible each month), so I bought my new car cash. I might have lucked out a bit in the way that it forced me to take out cash from investments before COVID crashed the markets, and then I've been putting in money again after it crashed. But apart from that, who knows. I've already "forgotten" about that money. I'm budgeting for the depreciation etc every month and transferring it straight to an index fund (along with all other "theoretical" costs from the car).
I do the same with all insurance payments etc. Everything in bulk once a year, then spread out that cost over the year in my budget so it goes straight into an indexfund or something.

On that note. YNAB has saved me so much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is range the main annoyance with EVs? I have a couple of quotes from Audi and the e-tron 50 works out hugely cheaper than the 55. The difference is a 74 kWh battery vs a 95, and 230 kW vs 300kW. But the difference in price is an extra 23% (97k vs 78k) which seems crazy.

Also I am apparently getting a 33% total discount off list, I'm surprised if they make any money on this?

Hmm the e-tron S will be 5k more than the 55 when it comes out. Not a huge difference.
https://audi.media-corner.ch/press/innovativ-dynamisch-und-elektrisch-der-audi-e-tron-s-und-der-audi-e-tron-s-sportback

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 11, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You're buying it through a corporate or company affiliated car lease scheme, I assume, since you're getting a fleet discount and something called BusinessPlus which I assume is also a company car scheme discount. That makes up half your discounts. I don't know how EV pricing works in Switzerland, but I would assume there are also federal or cantonal incentives at work here too.

It's very possible that Audi makes only a very small unit profit or even a unit loss, and e-tron is certainly a loss-making program in isolation. But Tesla, as you recall, still makes about a quarter to a third of their nominal gross profit selling EV credits - so that's one decent reason to run a loss making program in EV.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

Do EV motorcycles have a lower center of gravity than gas motorcycles? I know with cars having the battery pack low means a very low center of gravity and better handling characteristics, and I'm wondering if the same is true for 2 wheels.

I'm not really sure how much a change the center of mass is from ICE to EV when it comes to motorcycles, though I'm sure it's not as drastic of a change as a skateboard design EV cars. My Energica's battery sits pretty much exactly where the engine would, the electric motor is where the rear shock would normally be, the inverter is where most gas tanks are, and the rear shock is installed on the side of the bike instead of under the tail.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

Bolt leases for example can be free or even cash positive due to numerous incentives, heavy dealer discounting, and artificially inflated residuals.

Noob here. How does that pan out after insurance? I have been considering buying a used Leaf for a while now, but getting paid to wear out someone else's car sounds even better.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I found the Zero SR a little more to heavy than standard UJMs, but not more do than sport bike. On average, they probably are a bit higher CG than the gasoline equivalent.

knox_harrington posted:

Is range the main annoyance with EVs?

It obviously depends on how far you drive and what the infrastructure is like. But I would say the annoyances are:

1) daily charging
2) trip charging
3) range

If you can charge at home, you're doing good. If your common long trips has some charging stations well within your range, you're doing great. Range won't be much of an issue then, but non-Tesla charging networks can be very variable. Charging networks cure range anxiety and range cures charging anxiety.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What do you mean, after insurance? Insurance costs the same amount of money regardless of how much you pay for the car.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I've never leased a car before, so hearing that I can come out ahead by borrowing a grocery getter from GM makes me doubt. They make you maintain auto insurance on it, and pay for that out of your own pocket, right? Do those costs make the whole thing actually cost money?

e: I'm assuming y'all are a bunch of risk-averse 30somethings here.

Skinnymansbeerbelly fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 11, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I've never leased a car before, so hearing that I can come out ahead by borrowing a grocery getter from GM makes me doubt. They make you maintain auto insurance on it, and pay for that out of your own pocket, right? Do those costs make the whole thing actually cost money?

More than if you don't have a car now, insurance is about the same as a gas car, depending on which car you are replacing. Adding a second car usually doesn't cost a lot for insurance.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're buying it through a corporate or company affiliated car lease scheme, I assume

Thanks. Yeah kind of, Audi will give me the same discount as the company but it would be a private purchase or lease.

Ola posted:

It obviously depends on how far you drive and what the infrastructure is like. But I would say the annoyances are:

1) daily charging
2) trip charging
3) range

Also thanks. Thinking about it my day to day is probably covered. I have electricity in my parking space with a 16A (and a 10A) 250V socket, need to check with the management company that overnight charging is OK but there's a Tesla that lives in there that plugs in as well. And I can charge at work and up in the mountains, and there's a well placed 350kW station on the autoroute.

I guess the issue would be doing a longer summer trip with a smaller battery. And whether I can face the indignity of buying the less powerful version.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
The etron 50 is also missing the sound reading glass and some other stuff like driver assistance features IIRC.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Shamino posted:

The etron 50 is also missing the sound reading glass and some other stuff like driver assistance features IIRC.

What comes in the different packs is a bit impenetrable but I've specced a 50 and a 55 the same way. 55 works out 23k more. Oddly the 50 comes with more as standard because of an offer.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Adding a second car doesn't increase your insurance much, do you have a bunch of accidents or something? My comprehensive on an e-tron is only $180/yr with $50 deductible through geico, and I've had an at-fault accident 2 years ago that cost them $30k+.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That seems insanely low for insurance?

*edit*
oh is the e-tron your second car?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Where you live can have an appalling impact on your rates as well.

*gentle sobbing in Fort Lauderdale/Miami metro area*

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thats because FL’s entire insurance structure is basically litigation and pre-litigation demands and it costs a fortune as a result.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh no

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9tron

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hello, i am from michigan, let me tell you about no-fault insurance!!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

heated game moment posted:

The great thing about leases is if you have equity at the end of the lease you can just buy it out!

That is currently playing out in the US - the used car market is extremely tight right now which is driving used car prices up. If you're turning in a lease over the next few months, it's worth reviewing your lease terms and crunching the numbers.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hello, i am from michigan, let me tell you about no-fault insurance!!

You can opt out of unlimited PIP now!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can opt out of unlimited PIP now!

finally!

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

That is currently playing out in the US - the used car market is extremely tight right now which is driving used car prices up. If you're turning in a lease over the next few months, it's worth reviewing your lease terms and crunching the numbers.

Or even if you're not you can still sell your car to CarMax/carvana/vroom.

Plenty of stories of people selling their car halfway through a lease for positive equity right now.

MomJeans420 posted:

That seems insanely low for insurance?

*edit*
oh is the e-tron your second car?

Yes, collision coverage should be the same for him with a used leaf vs a bolt, so it just comes down to the lease requiring comprehensive which doesn't cost much.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 12, 2020

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
This would be secondary on the policy, yeah.

So I kind of want to get wacky with the power setup at my house. I am considering buying a generator, and installing a transfer switch so that I am not completely at the mercy of PG&E. Any reason I couldn't install a level 2 charger with that setup?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

No, but it'll be inefficient as gently caress if you want to use it for an EV, are you talking a big padmount natgas genset?

Be careful with load calculations if you do that, and make sure either your car or charger can choose how much juice it sucks down, you probably don't want to spring for a genny so massive you can charge at 6kW on top of your house.

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009
Not strictly EV related, but it does require EVs!
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/21349200/climate-change-fossil-fuels-rewiring-america-electrify

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Looks like Mach E will be available in November:

Edit: Lyriq starting at sub 60k https://technocodex.com/cadillac-lyriq-ev-to-start-at-less-than-60000/

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 13, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

LOL at so many items in this.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
OK, just got hired to run a game studio in LA,. I live in Carlsbad.

From 2018 till Feb. 2020 I had the same situation and would use Amtrak/Metro/Bike to get to the office (stay in LA for the week).

Well my wife wisely says that this is a non-starter now with COVID.

So since my Toy-Auto has over 267k miles and I’d like that sweet carpool sticker, I’m thinking of leasing an EV with 250mile range or so (it’s a bit under 100 miles to get to this new place).

I don’t think I can tolerate the Tesla’s QC (my Toyota has been flawless) and Musk is not my fav. Person right now. And the Tesla leases are $100 more a month for the basic model 3 than the alternatives.

So I’m thinking of leasing a Kona or Niro EV. The leases appear to be around $300 a month. The Bolt is out because I hate uncomfortable seats. Maybe the long range Leaf, since the battery issues aren’t a big deal in a Lease.

Opinions?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

From 2018 till Feb. 2020 I had the same situation and would use Amtrak/Metro/Bike to get to the office (stay in LA for the week).

Well my wife wisely says that this is a non-starter now with COVID.

So since my Toy-Auto has over 267k miles and I’d like that sweet carpool sticker, I’m thinking of leasing an EV with 250mile range or so (it’s a bit under 100 miles to get to this new place).

I don’t think I can tolerate the Tesla’s QC (my Toyota has been flawless) and Musk is not my fav. Person right now. And the Tesla leases are $100 more a month for the basic model 3 than the alternatives.

So I’m thinking of leasing a Kona or Niro EV. The leases appear to be around $300 a month. The Bolt is out because I hate uncomfortable seats. Maybe the long range Leaf, since the battery issues aren’t a big deal in a Lease.

Opinions?

Totally not a professional opinion, but before we settled on getting our Escape Hybrid we were heavily considering both of those (we ended up opting for a hybrid because my wife didn't want to deal with babies, careseats, and power cords all at the same time). Our end thoughts were that they Kona was all around nicer with the Niro having slightly more room to store stuff. If it's just a commuter car I'd personally pick the Kona. Kona has slightly more range too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Totally not a professional opinion, but before we settled on getting our Escape Hybrid we were heavily considering both of those (we ended up opting for a hybrid because my wife didn't want to deal with babies, careseats, and power cords all at the same time). Our end thoughts were that they Kona was all around nicer with the Niro having slightly more room to store stuff. If it's just a commuter car I'd personally pick the Kona. Kona has slightly more range too.

Thank you. I do need that Carpool Sticker because LA Traffic stinks.

I'd rather have a BEV than a PHEV.

There's a local dealer with Kona EV's but I get the impression they are not EV enthusiasts.

ZERO help on getting a charger to work with my 6-20 plug.

The lease looks like $4000k down, $309/mo. + taxes and fees.

I think I may get a better deal on the Niro for some reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VideoGameVet posted:

That's one poo poo-rear end commute.

My tip is leave in the dead-rear end night (like 11pm-1am) because you won't beat the traffic if you decide "I'll wake up at 3 or 4 :v:"

Do you know the charging situation where you'll be living in LA?

Didn't someone say they were basically getting a Bolt lease for like $400 total in Santa Cruz or something not too long ago???

VideoGameVet posted:

Get an electrician to change out the plug for whatever the charger you want uses???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 14, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

As someone who did LA -> Aliso Viejo -> LA every day for two years, and also frequently does LA -> Carlsbad -> LA, I have to agree that is a poo poo-rear end commute. I almost bought a natural gas Crown Vic to use the carpool lane, but in the end it was easier to just use it and not worry about it because realistically you won't get pulled over. Now I just take the bike, but that's not a relaxing time when you're splitting lanes for most of the drive.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you. I do need that Carpool Sticker because LA Traffic stinks.

I'd rather have a BEV than a PHEV.

There's a local dealer with Kona EV's but I get the impression they are not EV enthusiasts.

The lease looks like $4000k down, $309/mo. + taxes and fees.

I think I may get a better deal on the Niro for some reason.

Are you doing the commute every day? That's going to eat up your lease miles real quick. Even once a week is a lot.

Carlsbad dealers are notoriously bad. I'd start with a volume dealer in LA, or hire a broker. A quick search show should be able to get a $45k niro for around $400/month 0 down just taxes and fees drive off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

don't put money down on a lease is pretty standard advice as well

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
No updates on my Tesla solar order. It's been two weeks since they told me 1-2 weeks to finalize permitting and I haven't received any updates. So far, they've taken 7 weeks for the permitting step.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
EV sales, first half of 2020

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/12/tesla-model-3-y-chevy-bolt-nissan-leaf-audi-e-tron-sales-us-ev-sales-report/

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The i3 went from 2,207 sold last year to 251. That is bad.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The i3 EU numbers are a little more than 50% of 2019's numbers, so not great but not nearly as bad as the US.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

McPhearson posted:

The i3 went from 2,207 sold last year to 251. That is bad.

It's priced so high you may as well order a model 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Probably the crippling cost of repairs that kick in 30 seconds after the 4 year warranty is up (typical BMW) killed resale value to the point that nobody wants to be lumped with such terrible residuals, including dealers trying to shift them off lease.