Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Well, the 20% didn't work on the drat 20t press, and I didn't bring the jack up to the register because I was planning on a second trip so I could get the 20% on both.

e: I swear that Central Machinery never used to be excluded on the coupon

You could use the 149.99 coupon, which seems to be better than 20% off anyways.

https://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/46_ITEM_20_TON_SHOP_PRESS_1597092763.0082.png

Edit: Assuming you didn't already see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I literally bought a HF aluminum jack yesterday and the drat 20% didn't work then either

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

eddyc49 posted:

You could use the 149.99 coupon, which seems to be better than 20% off anyways.

https://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/46_ITEM_20_TON_SHOP_PRESS_1597092763.0082.png

Edit: Assuming you didn't already see this.

Oh what the hell, I swear I checked if it had a coupon up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Since my cheap corded Harbor Freight impact has never taken a bolt or nut off in its life, I ordered a real impact today. I have some suspension work in my future on multiple cars so I'm thinking it will come in real handy.

Eventually I will get better impact sockets too... the only ones I have are a Harbor Freight metric set, but that set hasn't let me down yet.

Pretty pumped to get all the ugga duggas but I'm a little concerned about breaking bolts... but then again, I would otherwise be using a breaker bar and a pipe, so I think this is less likely to break bolts and studs, right?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 13, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CornHolio posted:

Since my cheap corded Harbor Freight impact has never taken a bolt or nut off in its life, I ordered a real impact today. I have some suspension work in my future on multiple cars so I'm thinking it will come in real handy.

Eventually I will get better impact sockets too... the only ones I have are a Harbor Freight metric set, but that set hasn't let me down yet.

Pretty pumped to get all the ugga duggas but I'm a little concerned about breaking bolts... but then again, I would otherwise be using a breaker bar and a pipe, so I think this is less likely to break bolts and studs, right?

I think you're right on the last note but I also broke 3/4 of the bolts holding my bumper brackets on.

My thought is, if the nut is on so tight that the bolt breaks, I wasn't going to reuse it anyway since the threads are hosed one way or another. Breaking it is usually faster anyway.

Only applies to bolts that go through things to nuts, not bolted into something I want to keep.

In also jealous because while I do have that same tool, I'm out of things to take apart that needs the power. It's so satisfying.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

drat. I was just going to post here that I have that exact tool, new in box bare tool, that I bought and want to sell to someone here that can use it. :(

On that note, is anyone looking for a 1/2" Milwaukee M18 Fuel Impact Wrench with hog ring anvil? No battery or charger, just bare tool.

I bought it because I was mad at the Passat. I have one another one and I scratched it up with it hammering on the rear brake carriers with a few extensions. I like clean and shiny tools, so I was discouraged at loving my first one up, so I bought another. After a bit, I wasn't mad at the scratched tool anymore. Never taken the new one out of the box. :{

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 13, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CornHolio posted:

Been my experience. Hose down with your choice of penetrate a day or several days before and let it rip.

And if the nut drops off, I wouldn't touch it for a while.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

meatpimp posted:

drat. I was just going to post here that I have that exact tool, new in box bare tool, that I bought and want to sell to someone here that can use it. :(

On that note, is anyone looking for a 1/2" Milwaukee M18 Fuel Impact Wrench with hog ring anvil? No battery or charger, just bare tool.

I bought it because I was mad at the Passat. I have one another one and I scratched it up with it hammering on the rear brake carriers with a few extensions. I like clean and shiny tools, so I was discouraged at loving my first one up, so I bought another. After a bit, I wasn't mad at the scratched tool anymore. Never taken the new one out of the box. :{

Is it the high torque one? How much are you looking for, and willing to ship to Canada? I'm debating between the high torque and mid torque, mainly for the size difference.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TrueChaos posted:

Is it the high torque one? How much are you looking for, and willing to ship to Canada? I'm debating between the high torque and mid torque, mainly for the size difference.

Get the one thats the nut fucker 5000.
That way you can brag to your friends that you have a "nut fucker 5000".
THats on my list of things to buy when I get a few bucks saved up.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have the 1600lb/ft Earthquake XT air impact which I bought when I was trying to remove 60 year old bolts from suspension/frame and as expected it either spun the bolt or snapped them in half. I would have preferred if it snapped them all as the spun ones I had to cut out for a plasma torch. Either way it is a decent tool and I can always use it as a hammer as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I have the 1600lb/ft Earthquake XT air impact which I bought when I was trying to remove 60 year old bolts from suspension/frame and as expected it either spun the bolt or snapped them in half. I would have preferred if it snapped them all as the spun ones I had to cut out for a plasma torch. Either way it is a decent tool and I can always use it as a hammer as well.

Hint for next time you already know they're not coming off: tighten, not loosen. I have an anecdotally better hit rate of breaking old u bolts off clean that way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Agreed. Even with arm power, a good manual tighten jolt followed by loosen really helps stubborn nuts.

When I was a teen working as a parts person at a shop (many years ago), one of the tricks of a good tech that stuck with me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As long as it's not stuck threaded into something I care about, I straight up just tighten them extra until they break off. It takes less time (usually less than a full turn) than fighting it for 6 turns before it finally gums up with enough dirt and rust and snaps off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

As long as it's not stuck threaded into something I care about, I straight up just tighten them extra until they break off. It takes less time (usually less than a full turn) than fighting it for 6 turns before it finally gums up with enough dirt and rust and snaps off.

Yep, this is the one I was talking about.

But slidebite brings up a good point about things you want to try to save also. It's also amazing how much easier it goes trying to save stuff with exposed threads if you go after the threads with a wire brush first.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Yep, this is the one I was talking about.

But slidebite brings up a good point about things you want to try to save also. It's also amazing how much easier it goes trying to save stuff with exposed threads if you go after the threads with a wire brush first a wire wheel and Kroil.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

I still remember the day I figured this out. Every friggin' bolt on my jeep had been giving us trouble and I didn't check the direction of the impact before attempting to loosen a bolt. There was a brief moment where I thought I'd hosed up, then I realized that McMaster-Carr exists and I'd actually just realized how to save a lot of time. A smile - nay, a smirk - crossed my face, and ...

BRAP
BRAPBRAPBRAP
BRAPBRAPBRAPBRAP

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I replaced all the bolts on the GP because I didn’t trust them and replacement grade 8 bolts are like $1.50 a piece.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm like 50 hours deep on reorganizing the garage, and I absolutely despise storing jackstands. This is far and above the best way I've ever done it so far. I made a woodgears.ca style rolling drawer/cart thing and it slips under the work bench with just a liiiitle bit of friction.

It's so goddamn good. I've thought about this for years and finally did it. I did it out of steel because I was originally trying to hit a razor thin tolerance on the height of the yellow stands vs the height of the shelf supports, but I realized that I could cut the c-channel on the bench and roll it up.
So now it's unnecessarily steel, but it's fine.

and no, those aren't recall stands.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hypnolobster posted:

and no, those aren't recall stands.

Ooh, that's fancy. I have mine on their side under my bench, reversing each side so they kinda interlock.

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, it's the big 2767-20 1400ft-lb monster, but with the state of America being an rear end in a top hat, I don't want to ship to Cananada and have some customs or tax issue. :( Anyone in the US wants it, $200 shipped.

In other news, I mentioned letting the smoke out of my old Bosch 18v drill, so I bought a new Bosch 18v drill / impact driver kit.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-2-Tool-Core18v-Power-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-Soft-Case-Charger-Included-and-2-Batteries-Included/1000810738 For $130, I wasn't expecting much, but drat... I saw small batteries and figured 1.5 or 2.0 amp hours, but no, they're small and 4ah. I guess 21700 batteries pack a lot of power?

Plus, the impact has a 3/8" 1/2" anvil tip with a recessed hex inside, that's pretty damned convenient. Edit: Now that I look at it, the anvil is 1/2", which is pretty optimistic for 1600in-lb of force. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 15, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So, I just finally moved my first real rolling toolbox into the hangar and I'll be putting my tools in it, instead of in the Husky hardside toolbag I've been packing them into like a sardine can with varying levels of success for the last ten years. This has me feeling extremely uneasy about junkyard runs as I normally just bring the bag with me to the junkyard, so even though it weighs well over 100lb it's never further away than the parking lot if I need a tool I didn't think I'd need that trip. How do normal people deal with this? Two full sets of tools? Careful research before going to pull parts and bring what you need? Luck? Sawzall goes with on all trips? This also means all my tools will be ~25 miles from home unless I had the foresight to pack them on the previous hangar trip or drive 30ish extra miles on the way to the junkyard, and I want ideas. Unfortunately 2 full sets of tools isn't in the cards at the moment, nor is the shop moving closer to the house.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I like to think about what I’ll really need. Usually I’m familiar enough to have a good idea. Almost always though a metric set of impact sockets and wrenches, then a set of basic tools from there. Enough to improvise anything I’m missing at least.

Without spending money, maybe keep a set like that in the Husky tool bag, then keep the rest in the chest. Longer term, I’d save up for a Husky, Crescent, or even HF toolset for junkyard duty. Then supplement from there.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Multiple sets of tools is life. I have one in the shop and one in the house. The shop set is more complete, but it is also only 3ft from the house.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

kastein posted:

So, I just finally moved my first real rolling toolbox into the hangar and I'll be putting my tools in it, instead of in the Husky hardside toolbag I've been packing them into like a sardine can with varying levels of success for the last ten years. This has me feeling extremely uneasy about junkyard runs as I normally just bring the bag with me to the junkyard, so even though it weighs well over 100lb it's never further away than the parking lot if I need a tool I didn't think I'd need that trip. How do normal people deal with this? Two full sets of tools? Careful research before going to pull parts and bring what you need? Luck? Sawzall goes with on all trips? This also means all my tools will be ~25 miles from home unless I had the foresight to pack them on the previous hangar trip or drive 30ish extra miles on the way to the junkyard, and I want ideas. Unfortunately 2 full sets of tools isn't in the cards at the moment, nor is the shop moving closer to the house.

I bought two smallish plastic boxes from northern tools and riveted some socket rails to one of them along with a magnetic holder in the lid. That one I have my 3/8" harbor fright ratchet, a set of metric sockets, external torx sockets, and basic screwdrivers, a mirror, flashlight and whatever else I normally need on just about every job along with a 1/4" wera Zyclop set that I take almost everywhere that contains various sockets and bits. In the second box, which I empty after each trip, I take whatever I need specific to that particular run. (For instance maybe a 1/2 breaker with a particular socket or a drill with bits or impact).

If I forget something, there is always an Autozone within a couple of miles of where I am headed and I donate the spare to my kids when I get home. I like the two boxes to balance me out walking in the hot Memphis sun. You will forget something, just part of the equation and try not to fret about it. I remind myself that junkyarding is my hobby more than a necessity and I always seem to do better at having the right tools now than I did years ago when I tried to haul everything and still missed a tool.

I have been redoing my shop and when I do I am going to re do my boxes as well as the hinges are getting tired and I think I can improve on the design. I might upgrade to some sort of modular system, but I did this about 5 years ago and liked the flexibility of a cheap box that I could roll my own tool holders, etc. The magnetic holder will probably go unless I can find one that holds the screwdrivers better.

We should start a thread on this to see everyone's solutions. Mine is really more minimalist than it sounds.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have something like this for mobile wrenching

https://tengtoolsusa.com/collections/tool-kits/products/teng-tools-tc187-187-piece-mega-rosso-mechanics-tool-kit

That one isn't a bad deal. I have some HF roller carts for everything else.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I built a couple mobile kits with the 4800 Apache cases from HF. Two for work, and then I liked them so much that I built another out to carry on road trips/friend-helping/etc type work.

Tekton sockets (3/8) and wrenches are cheap and actually excellent, threw in some hex and torx keys, couple specific things (axle sockets, certain monster wrenches, giant flat head screwdriver, ball peen, zipties, wire, one big punch, that kind of bullshit) and it's a really great kit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone should lay out their mobile kit and take pictures to give the rest of us inspiration.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
For junkyard trips I would assume a basic set of sockets, a basic set of open end wrenches, screwdrivers, torx and Allen keys, a sawzall and a big hammer. Everything but the last two is for show.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Modular screwdriver with changeable bits for interior screws etc, small 3/8" socket set for anything else, if that won't do it I ask the crew to take it off for me or plan ahead and bring the battery impact.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah if you have a battery operated impact wrench or e ven honestly a frill and drier det of course that should be in there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

Everyone should lay out their mobile kit and take pictures to give the rest of us inspiration.

OKAY

This is my old toolbox that I take with me if I need a lot of tools.

This is what I took with me to my parents' house. I had to do some home maintenance and an oil change/tire rotation. My dad has basic hand tools, but I wanted to bring somethings of mine that I like better.

Makita drill and impact driver, Ryobi impact wrench, prescription safety glasses, gloves, level, HF multimeter, anti-seize.

Various wrenches, torque wrenches, oil filter wrench, Altoids box full of bits for the impact driver.

Tape measure, multimeter leads, Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches, HF chisel/punch set, Stanley stubby screwdriver (I un-ironically love this little thing).

Various driver bits from Capri (I would get Gearwrench or Tekton next time), HF impact socket set.

When I would use this for work trips to customer sites (when I had a job :( ), I would bring more breaker bars and pry bars, redundant allen keys (almost all our hardware was socket head cap screws), a larger selection of open ended wrenches for hydraulics, and some basic things like hammers and screw drivers. I would also bring a collapsible hand cart cause it's all heavy as poo poo, but I also hated the hand cart. I was thinking about getting a dedicated box on wheels like this one.

I have this HF tool tote for when I needed to bring hand tools to the office. Easier to carry than the big box and I had access (ie asking the machinists) for some things in case I forgot something. That was usually the small impact driver, allen sockets, breaker bar, pry bar, and a couple of my bigger wrenches that work didn't have.

And I use this small HF tool bag for around the house. I'll throw in the sockets and bits I need for easier carrying, but I'm a couple seconds away from my full tool set if I forget something.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 16, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's what I'm talkin about.

I have a decentish Craftsman box I bought 20 years ago that I keep meaning to turn into something like that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

That's what I'm talkin about.

I have a decentish Craftsman box I bought 20 years ago that I keep meaning to turn into something like that.

That's basically the heart of my tool set, lol. I mostly supplemented with HF tools and then started replacing the stuff I used the most of mid-range quality things (like my Craftsman wrenches are now Gearwrench and I started getting Makita for power tools). I don't use my tools for a living, so I can't really justify the prices of a high quality kit.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 16, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've gone in on the Ryobi 18v line and have a lot of HF and Craftsman hand tools. I'll likely start upgrading the hand tools over time as well. I have so many tool bags so my portability options are pretty great, thinking about putting together a permanent set to keep behind the seat in the truck.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I wish I could find photos of the toolkit I packed for my last job, but it was this bag, a CLC 1134 Carpenter's Backpack.

It had 44 pockets according to Amazon. We kept a Milwaukee 12v impact in it, along with a ton of screwdrivers, wrenches, utility knives, electrical tools, spools of cable, and a label maker. The only thing I wish it had was space for a laptop. It was great for dragging a shitload of tools to the far end of nowhere and back.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

How do normal people deal with this? Two full sets of tools? Careful research before going to pull parts and bring what you need? Luck? Sawzall goes with on all trips? This also means all my tools will be ~25 miles from home unless I had the foresight to pack them on the previous hangar trip or drive 30ish extra miles on the way to the junkyard, and I want ideas. Unfortunately 2 full sets of tools isn't in the cards at the moment, nor is the shop moving closer to the house.

The correct answer is a bucket boss and a Black Friday blow molded mechanics toolset kit

You just grab whatever specific poo poo you need out of your tool chest like batteries and cordless impact, grinder, chuck em in the bucket, and fill out the pockets with spare useful poo poo like a spare prybar, hammer, pb blaster, screwdrivers, tape measure, safety squints, earpro, utility knife, duct tape, electrical tape, etc. then get a bucket lid seat for maximum versatility

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
For me it's more of a careful pre-planning stage. Kastein can keep his huge bag, but spend a few minutes grabbing the expected tools and a handful of problem solver tools and universal tools.

And yeah also if your tools will be in a hanger off site you'll want duplicates for when emergencies strike. Good opportunity to upgrade your tools for the hobby space too. Figure out which tools you use the most, and obviously some tools only need to be in one place. I recently tubbed up all of my plumbing and house electrical tools since they get used rarely.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

The correct answer is a bucket boss and a Black Friday blow molded mechanics toolset kit

You just grab whatever specific poo poo you need out of your tool chest like batteries and cordless impact, grinder, chuck em in the bucket, and fill out the pockets with spare useful poo poo like a spare prybar, hammer, pb blaster, screwdrivers, tape measure, safety squints, earpro, utility knife, duct tape, electrical tape, etc. then get a bucket lid seat for maximum versatility

If I try to do this the bottom will fall out of that bucket or the handle will fall off or cut into my fingers. Just my junkyard hammer weighs 8lb and then there's 4 full sets of impact sockets (deep and shallow metric and imperial) and that's only the beginning. And 5 gallon pails suck to carry even if they're not very full.

I'm also not buying a new blow molded tool case at this point... I have a bad history with them (they don't last long) and it's not really in the budget.

Unfortunately I think I'm gonna be stuck with extra driving and/or careful planning.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

If I try to do this the bottom will fall out of that bucket or the handle will fall off or cut into my fingers. Just my junkyard hammer weighs 8lb and then there's 4 full sets of impact sockets (deep and shallow metric and imperial) and that's only the beginning. And 5 gallon pails suck to carry even if they're not very full.

I'm also not buying a new blow molded tool case at this point... I have a bad history with them (they don't last long) and it's not really in the budget.

Unfortunately I think I'm gonna be stuck with extra driving and/or careful planning.

drat dude, 4 full sets of impact sockets? Might as well roll up the whole toolchest. I’ve got a full set of deep & standard impact sockets in a blow molded case and while I’m not abusing or using them near as much as you do, I’d think it’s adequate for a junkyard run.

You can tape up the handle so it’s more comfortable, and a five gallon bucket will hold 125 pounds. You could even get a rolling hand cart, though at that point you’re probably better off with something like the Milwaukee packout system. Do you bring a wheelbarrow to the junkyard?

This is honestly what you need:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've always gotten by just fine with a small bag or backpack. Carry the poo poo you need for the job you're doing, not the whole kitchen sink IMO. Especially since you have to carry it plus parts all the way back.

One set of deep sockets, one shallow set in 3/8 or 1/2 depending on what I'm doing and maybe a couple screwdrivers and extensions. If I need to free something up I bring a rubber hammer to beat the poo poo out of a ratchet to break something loose. That's how I do it in the garage at home rather than trying to muscle stuff off. :v: Otherwise an impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey so a question about this sweet new M18 Milwaukee I got, if I am only going to use it every once in awhile (maybe a few times a month), is it better to store the battery on the charger or on the impact?