Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm a bit hesitant though, I can't shake the feeling that somehow they will not be any good since they are about 10K lower than the others for the kitchen. Is this bit of conventional wisdom bad or good? I'm really not sure what to look for in a contractor other than a feeling of confidence in them.

Did you specify everything already? I am a residential remodeler and I could swing a kitchen renovation $10k easily by just tweaking the cab and countertop allowance. If there are unknown selections in the scope that $10k difference is just noise.

Go with the contractor that has good references and plan on spending an additional $10k anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Sirotan posted:

I got this recently to replace a 15+ year old DeWalt cordless drill and it is insanely great, the difference in torque over my old lead NiCd battery model is ridiculous. A++ would recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQ19B1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2ienFbTVCP18T
This looks tempting, but I can't justify spending this much when I'll use it but once a year or so.

Especially since I know I'm going to have other projects going on like a door that's sagging and a jet tub that needs fixing. Let me vent about this stupid jet tub.

For some reason, they caulked all around the little jets, making it really hard to remove and replace. :wtc: The tile is all grouted off so there's no access for repairs. I don't even see a name brand anywhere, so I can't even look up the parts.

What a royal pain in the rear end. I would have preferred a soaker tub, but I wasn't about to turn down a house because it had a jacuzzi tub in the master bath.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Tezer posted:

Did you specify everything already? I am a residential remodeler and I could swing a kitchen renovation $10k easily by just tweaking the cab and countertop allowance. If there are unknown selections in the scope that $10k difference is just noise.

Go with the contractor that has good references and plan on spending an additional $10k anyways.

Nope, at this point everything's just placeholder because we don't have strong design sensibilities. You're saying that I should budget for an additional 10k above the estimates because I'll end up wanting more expensive options than what they've allowed for in their quotes?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for this but it's the closest I could find. Wife and I are embarking on our first major renovation project (kitchen and we also want to do a bathroom if in budget) after refinancing and getting some cash out. We got three quotes from established contractors, and one came in significantly lower than the others. I've heard the wisdom that you get three quotes and throw out the lowest, but I've seen nothing but good things about that company online and they're the only one that gave bids that will allow us to do both projects without waiting on one of them and saving up for a few years. I'm a bit hesitant though, I can't shake the feeling that somehow they will not be any good since they are about 10K lower than the others for the kitchen. Is this bit of conventional wisdom bad or good? I'm really not sure what to look for in a contractor other than a feeling of confidence in them.

Get personal references. Talk to those people. Find one who had a problem. Ask how that problem was resolved. All renovation work that involves seeing the studs has a problem SOMEWHERE. We wound up going with the cheaper company here because we liked their vibe and we got to see them do a major to-he-studs repair at a friends house. It wound up being a bit headachey for some of it but it was absolutely worth it. When you see "throw out the cheapest" it's generally "all things being equal, this one is suspiciously cheaper" not just "This one is 10% cheaper than the rest."

For example, some bathroom reno's we were looking at were coming in at like $65k with others, were more like $25-35k with this GC. We realized those others were too fancy for our taste and what we were having done and this one was the first one that had realistic pricing.

With the lower priced vendor, assuming all things are equal, you're likely going to see change orders for every little thing that needs to happen. With the more expensive one you can more reasonably expect them to absorb certain small dollar changes. We wound up getting change orders through their portal for like $120 here and there for minor things like additional lumber or whatever. Minor headache, but saved a huge amount of money overall.

As with all things, read the contracts carefully and make sure things are spelled out clearly and completely. Don't be afraid to mark it up a bit or demand a specific thing be written out for you. In the end if it all goes sideways if your contract says one thing and your verbal agreement says another and you wind up in small claims court, the contract is going to win every time. Especially spelled out should be progress payments, and make sure that the final one is more than just the Overhead & Profit amount summed up. Final should be final - clean space, final permit inspection signed off on, punch list complete, full release of all mechanics liens filed, in exchange for a check.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
^^Thanks, that's all really great advice.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nope, at this point everything's just placeholder because we don't have strong design sensibilities. You're saying that I should budget for an additional 10k above the estimates because I'll end up wanting more expensive options than what they've allowed for in their quotes?

That is usually the way it goes. If I know someone is getting multiple quotes and selections haven't been made, it would be silly to put expensive finishes in my quote since I know you are probably going to being doing exactly what you are doing - finding a way to justify going with the lowest number. I might as well be the lowest number.

If you need to stick with a particular budget you need to select everything before starting so you can get a real number. This is what I do with all of our design-build clients and it results in very accurate pricing.

If you don't do this, you should at least ask your selected contractor what materials you need to install to remain in budget (ie - what their allowance was based on). If you just go to a showroom without this information it's very unlikely you will be able to stick to your budget.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

LloydDobler posted:

You can get a super long blade for the sawzall (I have an awesome 12" long one that works for a huge variety of things) and bend it to lay flat on the concrete to get a mostly flush cut, then grind to finish if you even need to at that point.

:doh:

So that's what this flush cut blade I got in the multi-pack does. I couldnt figure it exactly what made it flush.

For real there's a little picture of what you're describing on it, and my thought was "oh boy they're using that wrong!"

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Dumb question, how difficult is it to re-stain kitchen cabinets?

I always heard new kitchen cabinets cost quite a bit.
Rather than buy new cabinets, I rather just re-use the existing ones.
(They're not bad.)

My cabinets are those medium stained oak cabinets popular from the late 1990s to early 2000s.
This color

Is sanding it and adding a darker coat or lighter coat do-able?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Senor P. posted:

Dumb question, how difficult is it to re-stain kitchen cabinets?

I always heard new kitchen cabinets cost quite a bit.
Rather than buy new cabinets, I rather just re-use the existing ones.
(They're not bad.)

My cabinets are those medium stained oak cabinets popular from the late 1990s to early 2000s.
This color

Is sanding it and adding a darker coat or lighter coat do-able?

Just hang onto them as they are for like 10 more years and they'll be on trend again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It takes a lot of time and usually a lot of room. Sanding into dozens of tight concave curved areas can be unpleasant. But it’s not a complex task.

If you do it, do yourself a huge favor and mark which hinges go on which cabinets (assuming you’re going to keep the hinges).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is this a place I could ask for robot lawn mower recommendations? I'm looking at buying a house with a pretty huge lawn and I'd like to automate mowing assuming it works decently.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can you quantify "pretty huge"?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's hard to say, the grounds are 1.5 hectares. It's not all lawn and I don't necessarily want to keep it all lawn-like anyway. Perhaps 3-5000 sqm?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

gently caress everything about moving.

How the hell did I accumulate so much stuff in a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 people?

Also, the sellers told me they hired a company to appeal the property tax and they got the results from the hearing. The appraised value dropped. Do I need any kind of documentation to confirm this or is this already in the system now?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Home ownership has been crazy lately. My refrigerator, dryer, toaster oven, and radio all broke within the span of a week. And it was extremely stressful because I had to replace all this stuff before going into quarantine leading up to my wife's surgery, and there's apparently a national appliance shortage.

I think I can fix the dryer, though. I did a series of voltage tests and it appears the problem is the heating element. Let's hope that this $60 part saves me from spending upwards of $900.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bioshuffle posted:

gently caress everything about moving.

How the hell did I accumulate so much stuff in a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 people?

It's the other person's fault.

I'm moving too. I'm pretty good about living simply, but even then I've thrown out a tremendous amount of "stuff" that I was hanging on to just to hang on to it. Most of it was my daughter's stuff who I never taught to purge as she got older. We just went through it together and had two large boxes full of trash, with another large box of stuff too nice to throw away, so we'll donate it.

Someone at work told me about that "do you need it, do you use it, does it bring you joy?" quiz that you can do to all your things and it really does work wonders on clearing out clutter. If the answer to all 3 is no, get rid of it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I moved from a 1,350 SF two bedroom to a 2,900 SF four bedroom and despite Marie Kondo-ing like half of my belongings I feel like the new house is already full

Never move, just sell the house as furnished and buy new poo poo IMHO

Also never move

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I moved from a 1,350 SF two bedroom to a 2,900 SF four bedroom and despite Marie Kondo-ing like half of my belongings I feel like the new house is already full

Never move, just sell the house as furnished and buy new poo poo IMHO

Also never move

50 SF - king sized bed
30 SF - sofa
20 SF - Dining room table
2800 SF - candles
8 SF - fridge

please help my family is being crushed

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My wife grew up very poor in Brazil. As a result, she is chronically unable to throw anything out, ever, if it still has any use whatsoever. I was hoping that moving would make her realize how much crap we have we didn't even notice we still had, but nope. In the 2000s I had severe sinus issues, so we had a steam vaporizer I would use to help me with it. But in 2012 I had surgery that fixes my issues, so I hadn't used it in at least 8 years. She insisted that we take it with us in the move just in case, and only allowed me to donate it when she saw that we were running out of room (we moved from a 1400 sqft rental to a 1270 condo). I understand why she is like that, but still...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My dad grew up in an upper class household and until the dementia set in last year refused to throw away even boxes in the attic from electronics in the 90s. You know, just in case we need to return that Sega Genesis, or Panasonic CRT Television.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I bought my current 55" Samsung TV in 2008, and I expected it to be long dead by now but it still has a fantastic picture and works great. I'm finding of all the boxes I kept, I really wish I'd kept that one, because it'll probably get wrecked in the move.

Then again, excuse to get a new TV. hmmm....

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LloydDobler posted:

I bought my current 55" Samsung TV in 2008, and I expected it to be long dead by now but it still has a fantastic picture and works great. I'm finding of all the boxes I kept, I really wish I'd kept that one, because it'll probably get wrecked in the move.

Then again, excuse to get a new TV. hmmm....
You can buy TV moving boxes at any big box store for like $20. If you can afford a 55" TV, you can afford to throw away the box. I would definitely pay for the box to move rather than store it for over a decade.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

The wife insisted we throw out the burgandy red faux leather couch that we inherited from her roommate. Now we get to couchless until mid September. I don't know how I'm going to survive.

Also, I thought I was getting my dryer just in the nick of time before the sale ended at Lowe's, but they keep extending the sale over and over again.

The mover guys wrapped the tv like a burrito and it was good to go.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm still waiting for a deep freezer from when I moved in April..... It'll be here on the 25th I'm so excite

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Can you parge over a polyurethane concrete sealant?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I've never owned hardwood floor homes before
Do I need to lay down a rug or padding under the dining table? How about the tv console?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bioshuffle posted:

I've never owned hardwood floor homes before
Do I need to lay down a rug or padding under the dining table? How about the tv console?

Rug under the table. Pulling chairs in and out will scratch it all to hell (ask me how I found out).

Anything that doesn't generally get touched should be fine (bookcases, tv stands, etc.), but there's way less friction on hardwood so anything that gets sat on will be prone to scooting around (couches/chairs/etc.), even if it's not intentional.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

you dont NEEED to for the big stuff but you shoudl be protecting your floor from scratching up your floor on yoru TV stand (and possibly table if you plan on extending it with an extra leaf) when you move it around to get to your cables or whatever.
I would make sure you have in tact pads on the bottom of your chairs if they're going to move around etc. becuase they'll scratch the poo poo out of your floors.

you can get felt pads
Something like this bad boy can go on chair bottoms / maybe 3 on each side of your TV stand
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-78-Pack-Assorted-Beige-Assorted-Felt-Pad/1000328143

My table has some wheels on it so I just use these because they're small and dont' get in the way and have cups to hold the wheels in.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Scotch-8482-Felt-Pad-Cup-SP671-NA-Reusable-3-in-4-pk/1002690284

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 14, 2020

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
The PO at our place loved orange peel texture (he left a spray can of it along with some paint for the house).

For hanging pictures and things, can we use the 3M Velcro stuff over orange peel or does the uneven texture mean we should use a nail-in thing like the ook hooks above?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hawkeye posted:

The PO at our place loved orange peel texture (he left a spray can of it along with some paint for the house).

For hanging pictures and things, can we use the 3M Velcro stuff over orange peel or does the uneven texture mean we should use a nail-in thing like the ook hooks above?

the 3m velcro stuff is pretty decent and should hold the picture

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who stayed up until 4:00am? This guy. Who isn't spending $900? Also this guy.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Who stayed up until 4:00am? This guy. Who isn't spending $900? Also this guy.

someone has a working dryer though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

someone has a working dryer though.

I mean, not him, but let's not dwell on specifics.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The other thing with hardwood floors and dining chairs, is even if you put nice nylon slider pads on like my parents did, you ABSOLUTELY have to keep up with the sweeping. My mom as she got older couldn't keep up with the housework, and people tracked in tiny rocks from the gravel in the back yard driveway. Once those fuckers get embedded in a nylon chair slider they tear the floor up hard. We couldn't figure it out for a while because only two chairs were doing it, and they'd get moved around. So we'd see scratches but the chair over them would slide just fine. I finally found a scratching chair and flipped it over, picked a few rocks out of the slider. My mom was super embarrassed. But then again, she's the one who stained the entire floor herself back in the 80's so we cut her a break.

I never thought of putting a rug under the dining table, but maybe we should. I already have a massive dust mop in my amazon wish list for when I move in there.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 14, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I mean, not him, but let's not dwell on specifics.
Oh, it works now. No wonder the heating element was bad; it was rusted into the housing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The bi-fold doors on our laundry closet fell off yesterday. I went and bought a hardware set and was like "yeah no big deal. This is easy." I turned the door over to check the bottom pivot. Not only is it missing, the wood is missing. The bottom of the door has rotted out and fallen into the hollow area inside the door. :v: All that's left is the obvious, insufficient wood glue remaining from someone's previous repair.

At least they're cheap doors.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

The other thing with hardwood floors and dining chairs, is even if you put nice nylon slider pads on like my parents did, you ABSOLUTELY have to keep up with the sweeping. My mom as she got older couldn't keep up with the housework, and people tracked in tiny rocks from the gravel in the back yard driveway. Once those fuckers get embedded in a nylon chair slider they tear the floor up hard. We couldn't figure it out for a while because only two chairs were doing it, and they'd get moved around. So we'd see scratches but the chair over them would slide just fine. I finally found a scratching chair and flipped it over, picked a few rocks out of the slider. My mom was super embarrassed. But then again, she's the one who stained the entire floor herself back in the 80's so we cut her a break.

I never thought of putting a rug under the dining table, but maybe we should. I already have a massive dust mop in my amazon wish list for when I move in there.

Well this is terrifying. I have cats. Will the cat hairs maybe counteract the specs of dust?

What kind of mops are the best? Isn't that what home ownership is all about? Talking about mops.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I got this recently to replace a 15+ year old DeWalt cordless drill and it is insanely great, the difference in torque over my old lead NiCd battery model is ridiculous. A++ would recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQ19B1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2ienFbTVCP18T

I don't know anything about drills or impact drivers. Is this basically the same thing? I don't understand why there are so many different versions with different price points.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...283D2/206524075

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't know anything about drills or impact drivers. Is this basically the same thing? I don't understand why there are so many different versions with different price points.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...283D2/206524075

The ones he posted are brushless, the ones you posted have brushes. Supposedly brushless last longer, are quiter, and deliver more power more intelligently. You need to decide if that's worth the extra hundred bucks to you (50% more in terms of price). I have the Milwaukee M18 brushed drill and driver combo and it's been reliable and strong and I"ve never really felt like I was missing anything. I prefer Milwaukee to DeWalt and supposedly the 18v Milwaukie is more powerful that the 20v DeWalt, but if I were you I would look at the other tools offered that run off the same batteries and make my decision off of that, because when you buy a drill you are really buying a battery system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

therobit posted:

The ones he posted are brushless, the ones you posted have brushes. Supposedly brushless last longer, are quiter, and deliver more power more intelligently. You need to decide if that's worth the extra hundred bucks to you (50% more in terms of price). I have the Milwaukee M18 brushed drill and driver combo and it's been reliable and strong and I"ve never really felt like I was missing anything. I prefer Milwaukee to DeWalt and supposedly the 18v Milwaukie is more powerful that the 20v DeWalt, but if I were you I would look at the other tools offered that run off the same batteries and make my decision off of that, because when you buy a drill you are really buying a battery system.

The 20v/18v thing is a misnomer. They are both the same number of cells. The 18 versus 20 volt labeling is just usual vs peak power, of which they have the same. Any power difference between the tools is based on the tools themselves and not really the batteries.

With that said I'm a Milwaukee user and my experience is the Milwaukee stuff is by-and-large better than the DeWalt equivalents. But not by much, and the DeWalt's are cheaper.

E: Actually both sets linked to are brushless according to their title. To me it looks like the big difference is the more expensive set comes with 5 AH batteries instead of 2AH, and a hard case instead of a soft one.Also the drill is different in the more expensive kit. It's the DCD996 instead of the DCD791. I'm not sure of what that means, but the 996 comes with an additional handle so I assume it's more powerful. The impact driver is the same in both, DCF887.

I had this decision to make in the past and I decided to splurge and get the best drill/impact combo I could, because those two tools are the ones you use the most, for the most jobs. It makes sense to splurge on them.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 15, 2020