Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GigaPeon posted:

Agents of SHIELD was concluded by firing a space based Love Ray at their enemies. You can't convince me otherwise.

Also, I'm not super smart. Fitz basically used Ant Man tech to pull a Rick and Morty and found a universe that didn't suck for everyone to wind up in, right?

Except they did "right" by the old universe by pulling the sucky part with them?

Fitz looked through the timelines with a copy of the Timestream that Enoch pickpocketed while he was in disguise back in the season 6 finale

Fitz found a workable, if convoluted, plan for saving their own, original timeline, but it required the participation of Daisy's long-dead sister

Fitz can't send the rest of the team to any arbitrary point in time, but he can piggyback them onto the bag guys' time travel, and can see that this will eventually result in them ending up in a branching timeline where they will meet Kora

He himself will need to stay in the quantum realm to maintain a "bridge" between the branching timeline and the original timeline, so that they can eventually return to the original.

He thus sends the team off, spends a few instants in the quantum realm and is then pulled out again by them in the alternate timeline where Kora (he expects) will be alive and well to help them

His original plan was for the team + Kora to then go back to the original timeline, arriving at the same instant that they originally departed, and with Kora's help give all the bad guy minions empathy to save the day. The rest of the team objected to this on the grounds that it would leave the alternate timeline with a fleet of bad guy ships still in orbit, poised to conquer Earth.

So the plan was amended to bring this fleet back with them to the original timeline, and give empathy to both original timeline bad guys + alternate timeline bad guys there.

From the perspective of the original timeline:
Bad guy fleet arrives in orbit
Moments later Shield team travels into the past
An instant later Shield team arrives again from alternate timeline, along with alternate timeline bad guy fleet that joins the original fleet in orbit
Both fleets are then turned friendly by the power of love

From the perspective of the alternate timeline:
Bad guys mess with events through the decades and are countered by Shield
Their plan eventually culminates in their fleet arriving in orbit to conquer alternate Earth
Shield then drags the fleet out of the timeline, leaving alternate Earth safe from this threat, if relatively bruised by the orbital bombardment

Both timelines are saved at the end of the day. None of the universes involved were sacrificed to a sucky end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Deke is Director of Alt-SHIELD.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Azhais posted:

They went back to the original timeline basically at the same time they started the time journey, not some fancy new one. But otherwise yes, they drug the time traveling hunters back with them so deke and the rest of the 80s crowd didn't get exterminated, then administered the love ray

In Director Deke's universe things are going to be interesting. All of the loving about the Chronocoms did up to that point still stick, so SHEILD is blown up, HYDRA is on a different path (and also blown up), the Inhuman's don't have a leader. Things are going to play out VERY differently over there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chloe Bennet went and got a daisy tattoo after the show wrapped.

She's adorable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
In Deke’s universe, Howard Stark survived the attack on SHIELD and constructed himself a suit of armour to help protect the world from extraterrestrial aggressors. He uses it to easily thwart Bucky’s attempt on his life, then capture and deprogram him. He then recruits Carol Danvers when she returns to Earth and, with Bucky, helps her overthrow the Kree empire and repurpose their technology to defend Earth. By the time Loki tries to invade with the chitauri, the Avengers are more than ready, and thwart them easily.

Deke invents New Coke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Deke invents New Coke Zima

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Chloe Bennet went and got a daisy tattoo after the show wrapped.

She's adorable.

She's really attached to the character and has said many times she hopes to at least get an MCU cameo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There were rumors not that long ago about a Secret Warriors show on D+, so here's hoping they keep Chloe around if that happens

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ded posted:

Daredevil and Quake in the angst adventure

They did mention early in the series that Daisy went to the same orphanage as Murdock...

Also to the point above, Yo-Yo was a member of Secret Warriors too.

Mr Beens posted:

In Director Deke's universe things are going to be interesting. All of the loving about the Chronocoms did up to that point still stick, so SHEILD is blown up, HYDRA is on a different path (and also blown up), the Inhuman's don't have a leader. Things are going to play out VERY differently over there.

I was thinking the same thing, because I don't know how much Deke knows about Avengers history. On one hand, destroying SHIELD in the 80s means Hydra never gets to rise up, so you prevent all the Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron stuff. On the other hand, that universe's Fury and Coulson likely died in the attacks. Even if they didn't, without SHIELD resources, how do they still assemble the Avengers to stop the Battle of New York, or stop Thanos from getting all the stones? I feel like that universe is still pretty screwed. Deke's got a few decades to prepare, but only if he knows all the intel, and I'm not sure he does.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 14, 2020

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

They did mention early in the series that Daisy went to the same orphanage as Murdock...

Wait when was this??

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Upon reflection, I've decided my "steal rocks" plan leaves too many opportunities for time travel stuff to mess things up.

The real plan is go back to s01e03 and steal the gravitonium while it was en route to storage

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

Wait when was this??

Neither character name dropped the other they just each said the same name of the orphanage they grew up in.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1294348031349927938

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fury could have still been in the army in 1983 so he could have survived and had to call Deke Sir.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, I really hope they do a What If episode on Deke. He will probably do the tech bro thing all over again, except this time Men In Black it where all the money funds a covert spy organization.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

sticklefifer posted:

If Quake is going to graduate to movies it's probably low priority, since they still have all the X-Men to fold in somehow.

I guess? I think Quake is comparatively easy to slide in, because although she has a lot of backstory, you don't really need it. Like, if they introduce X-Men and mutants and all that other poo poo, nobody's going to bat an eye if SHIELD shows up with powered agents. "Oh, they hired some mutants." Is she a mutant? No. Do they need to explain how or why? Not really. Do they need to explain the specific intricacies of her past with SHIELD? Not really.

Quake is essentially just a competent secret agent type, working for a shadow agency that's infamous for its secrecy. The reason you've never heard of her before is that she's black ops. She's here to do SHIELD poo poo. It's fine.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You could slot in Quake as someone who puts together the Young Avengers. Or just have her show up with Fury in space with "Hello, Agent Johnson. Glad you have you" and that's like all you need.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Something I've been wondering, if Marvel TV hadn't been too big for their britches and not tried to make the Most Wanted spin off happen, would Bobbi and Hunter have stayed on the show for the rest of the run? My guess is no.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

howe_sam posted:

Something I've been wondering, if Marvel TV hadn't been too big for their britches and not tried to make the Most Wanted spin off happen, would Bobbi and Hunter have stayed on the show for the rest of the run? My guess is no.

I feel like there would've been a cast trim-down at some point regardless, and if you were looking at the cast and trying to find characters to lift out that would have the least impact by their absence, it would probably have been those two.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

I feel like there would've been a cast trim-down at some point regardless, and if you were looking at the cast and trying to find characters to lift out that would have the least impact by their absence, it would probably have been those two.

I don't think that's the case. I think Yo-Yo probably would have been just a recurring guest star, and maybe Deke doesn't get added as a regular for seasons 6 and 7.

Brett Dalton also left the cast the same season as Bobbi and Hunter. I think if they didn't try and make a spin-off, those two would have stuck around until the end.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

You could slot in Quake as someone who puts together the Young Avengers. Or just have her show up with Fury in space with "Hello, Agent Johnson. Glad you have you" and that's like all you need.

That's literally what she does in the Marvel Uprising animated movies. She's in charge of a team made up of like Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Inferno, America Chavez and Spider-Gwen.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think that's the case. I think Yo-Yo probably would have been just a recurring guest star, and maybe Deke doesn't get added as a regular for seasons 6 and 7.

Brett Dalton also left the cast the same season as Bobbi and Hunter. I think if they didn't try and make a spin-off, those two would have stuck around until the end.

I like Bobbi and Hunter, but I wouldn't give up what we got from Yo-Yo and Deke for them. Show made the right call :colbert:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I finally worked up the emotional energy to watch the finale after missing it on Wednesday. Very glad that the team all got happy endings. I’m going to miss the show a lot and will probably start rewatching it again soon. My favorite moments from the show:

Daisy’s one shot fight scene
Fitz just diving in a space portal with no thought
All of season 4, especially the first Ghost Rider transformation and Mack’s horrible sadness in the framework
Enoch’s monologue before dying
Hunter and Fitz jailbreak
Kyle McLachlan chewing scenery like there is no tomorrow

I could go on and on because this is easily my favorite long running show.

As for Quake in the MCU, that seems like a no brainer. Chloe Bennet is primed to be a much bigger star and she knows the character inside and out at this point. It even gives you a moment for people who didn’t watch the show where she’s seemingly just a very competent agent and then suddenly she quakes someone through a wall and goes, “Oh yeah, I have powers, forgot to mention that.”

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
At what point is it more efficient for the chronicoms to just gently caress off to go live on another planet? Why are they so dedicated to resettling on earth that they have to deal with crazy endless time shenanigans, mounting casualties, and Fitz?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

At what point is it more efficient for the chronicoms to just gently caress off to go live on another planet? Why are they so dedicated to resettling on earth that they have to deal with crazy endless time shenanigans, mounting casualties, and Fitz?

I think they were just mad that "human" Sarge blew up their planet so they're gonna go take the Human planet

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Kyle McLachlan chewing scenery like there is no tomorrow

The low-budget villains he recruited were kinda dumb, but it was worth it for his childlike glee when screamer-dude murdered a load of crows.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
hey if Sibyl could convert the archaeologist chronicoms into hunters, why couldn't she do that to Enoch instead of decommissioning him?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I think season 2 is my favourite overall.

De Caestecker does some phenomenal work, Henstridge is a hair behind him and her character development is *chefs kiss*.
Blood and Simmons are both breaths of fresh air and such solid characters they hit the ground running (esp Simmons and De Caestecker, that pairing got sort of lost along the way which is a shame). There is a good mix of spy hijinks, actual threat and of course Hydra malarky that all slots together nicely at the end.
I think they tried to make Bobbi all things to all people (Adrienne has extremely charismatic so it mostly works) but it's a minor gripe with an excellent season that starts off by killing Xena and gets better from there.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

muscles like this! posted:

Neither character name dropped the other they just each said the same name of the orphanage they grew up in.

The orphanage they mentioned isn’t from the comics either, it’s exclusively an MCU thing. Daredevil and AoS made a few references to one another, it’s a shame nothing came of it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For me season 3 was the show at its peak, season 4 came close but the framework part was a little boring and resulted in some awful writing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Having fitz for only the last episode sucked a big one.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

ded posted:

Having fitz for only the last episode sucked a big one.

Yeah, but it meant that Sousa and Daisy got a happy ending and that made up for it, imo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was J. August Richards busy or something? I'm kinda' surprised. He was the catalyst of the show's premise.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Behind the scenes on the music

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If I had to pick my favorite single moment, it's probably when Garrett gets up from his injured body being restored and starts laughing maniacally, then Coulson just vaporizes him. I had to pause it because I was laughing so hard.

Edmund Lava posted:

The orphanage they mentioned isn’t from the comics either, it’s exclusively an MCU thing. Daredevil and AoS made a few references to one another, it’s a shame nothing came of it.
Other than licensing issues, they probably didn't do more with this because the timelines weren't concurrent. The Netflix shows were released from 2015-2019, but they all took place from about 2014-2016 and stayed there, while pre-time travel AoS always took place in the present time and kept up with the film releases. It would've caused all kinds of consistency problems if they did more with it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It would be truer to comics to have characters participate in events that make their location history and timeline completely unintelligible

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Was J. August Richards busy or something? I'm kinda' surprised. He was the catalyst of the show's premise.

Yeah, I wish they'd brought back all of the remaining characters for one last bang for some reason. Daisy's dad, Deathlok, Robbie Reyes, etc etc.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I wish they'd brought back all of the remaining characters for one last bang for some reason. Daisy's dad, Deathlok, Robbie Reyes, etc etc.

I read that post-game interview that was posted earlier (https://tv.avclub.com/the-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-showrunners-reveal-the-plan-1844694196) with the showrunners and it seems like everything ultimately just boils down to budget when it comes to this show and missed opportunities.

I don't even know if I would call them missed opportunities as much as doing the best they could with what they had available to them. I enjoyed hearing everyone's contempt for the corridors as this was an ongoing source of amusement between my husband and I whenever the lighthouse was pretty much the only set in use for long stretches.

I'm glad they managed to pull off what they did, interesting to know they wanted more, and it was like spinning plates in terms of project management - looks as though the 1930's attire and props cost way more than I would have reasonably expected which might help explain why it eventually stalled out in the 80's - but as an 80's kid I was more than happy with this outcome. I had assumed that most US network shows have a similar situation to the BBC where there's just a huge warehoused amount of historical props and clothing built up over the decades that any show can lease for a reasonable in-house cost. Is this not the case for US production? I know that sets get destroyed very quickly but never gave much thought before to period props and costumes.

gently caress I'll miss this stupid, adorable, brilliant show - please give us at least one associated "What If" D+!

The aforementioned article also makes it clear there was always a balancing act in fuckery from both ABC and the MCU bosses - so hopefully without ABC in the mix, something additional can come from this. Still if nothing happens, I remain satisfied - we essentially got two endings with Season 5 and Season 7.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine Robbie Reyez ripping out of the Quantum Realm with a flaming, Ghost-Ridered up Zephyr or Quinjet. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SubNat posted:

Imagine Robbie Reyez ripping out of the Quantum Realm with a flaming, Ghost-Ridered up Zephyr or Quinjet. :allears:

Lola or bust.