Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay thanks for the input thread. Will pick up the AirPods Pro with AppleCare + and buy the SE now rather than waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

Okay thanks for the input thread. Will pick up the AirPods Pro with AppleCare + and buy the SE now rather than waiting.

Yeah apple care + for the headphones is cheap enough that it’s a no brainer IMO.

Hell you can even get it on the refurb headphones from bestbuy and stuff.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Entropy238 posted:

FCKGW posted:

Unless the new phones are the same price as the SE it will have zero affect on price.

Buy a refurb from Apple, do not buy a refurb from Amazon.

The first iPhone SE's price dropped by $50 when the iPhone 8 & iPhone X were announced.

edit: Although if you are going to buy the AirPods Pro, I suspect that you aren't really that price-sensitive when it comes to consumer electronics. Just buy the phone now instead of waiting on a speculative price drop.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 13, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean we are kinda close enough that unless you absolutely needed a new phone now waiting isn’t a bad idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

silence_kit posted:

The first iPhone SE's price dropped by $50 when the iPhone 8 & iPhone X were announced.
The first SE was 17 months old when the 8 and X were announced.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Zero One posted:

Google Maps updated with CarPlay dashboard support. Seems nice. The top right card will display your next turn or just a search button if you don't have a route.

Now I just need Waze to support it.

Now I just need a commute again to benefit from this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FCKGW posted:

Buy a refurb from Apple, do not buy a refurb from Amazon.

Seconding this. It’s a huge loving hassle to get Amazon to do something about 3rd party sellers if you get screwed. I bought a case of masks that were wet and soggy poo poo when they arrived and it took me constantly talking to their support for 4 months to finally get a refund.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Seconding this. It’s a huge loving hassle to get Amazon to do something about 3rd party sellers if you get screwed. I bought a case of masks that were wet and soggy poo poo when they arrived and it took me constantly talking to their support for 4 months to finally get a refund.
The bigger issue here is Apple refurbs give you a full warranty, and Apple's refurbishment replaces everything you touch. Ones purchased on Amazon are wiped down, made sure they turn on, and stuck in a box.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Only buy cheap poo poo from amazon like toilet paper. It is infested with chinese drop shippers selling scam goods.

Although when millions of people get rear end cancer from amazon asbestos toilet paper there wont be any liability for law suits.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 13, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

cowofwar posted:

Only buy cheap poo poo from amazon like toilet paper. It is infested with chinese drop shippers selling scam goods.

Although when millions of people get rear end cancer from amazon asbestos toilet paper there wont be any liability for law suits.
I would much rather buy used electronics from eBay than Amazon. eBay sellers give a poo poo about their rep.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is it possible to dump a Wifi client certificate out from an iPhone? Encrypted backup?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Endless Mike posted:

The bigger issue here is Apple refurbs give you a full warranty, and Apple's refurbishment replaces everything you touch. Ones purchased on Amazon are wiped down, made sure they turn on, and stuck in a box.

I’m talking about things from 3rd party sellers on Amazon, not things sold by Amazon directly. Never ever buy anything from any on Amazon. Seconded that eBay is a better option.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just issue a CC chargeback if you don't get a refund right away. It's way less hassle than trying to follow up with 3rd party sellers multiple times.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I have location access set to never for Camera, how come my photos still have location info? Is there some other setting that makes it actually not have location info?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just issue a CC chargeback if you don't get a refund right away. It's way less hassle than trying to follow up with 3rd party sellers multiple times.

That's a good way to get your Amazon account banned, just be warned.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Could a reduced battery level (85% battery health) affect an iPhone’s LTE data usage?

My Verizon LTE will show two bars of signal but I cannot do anything (speed test will fail to connect). A few blocks away I can get 2mbps with 2 bars. But then it is dead connection again with 2 bars still.

It has only started happening in the last 2 months or so and it has started happening to my wife’s phone (86% health). They checked our tower with no issue. They replaced our SIM cards and it is still happening.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Probably not.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Could a reduced battery level (85% battery health) affect an iPhone’s LTE data usage?
It shouldn't. If it says in the battery health that it had experienced shutdowns that'll put it in slow mode but it'll still work. And something like low power mode would affect it everywhere.

You could check your settings to make sure data roaming is turned on (probably not the issue, but worth a shot), LTE is selected instead of 4G, and it's not trying to connect to some Wifi network.

If that fails, it's either a question for Apple (or a restore, or a reset network settings) because it's some weird software thing, or an issue with your local tower. If you know someone else on the same carrier, see if they can connect where you're having trouble.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have an iPhone 8. Back when I had an iPhone 3, I used to be able to plug it into my computer, then move photos I had taken off the phone and to my computer. Because of PROGRESS, how to do that simple thing anymore eludes me. Is there some way to get files and photos from the phone to a computer it is physically plugged into without needing to loving send them over the Internet?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have an iPhone 8. Back when I had an iPhone 3, I used to be able to plug it into my computer, then move photos I had taken off the phone and to my computer. Because of PROGRESS, how to do that simple thing anymore eludes me. Is there some way to get files and photos from the phone to a computer it is physically plugged into without needing to loving send them over the Internet?
Are you on Windows? I think the phone shows up in the system tray when you plug it in (might be labeled as a "camera" or USB drive); you should be able to just right click it and go from there.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
You'll also need to enter your password to have your phone trust your computer, but from there everything should be accessible in explorer

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Speaking of things that should be simple between an iPhone and a PC. Doesn’t anyone have an issue when syncing an iTunes library to an iPhone where some songs just won’t sync? As in they’ll show up on my iPhone but when I click play nothing happens. Sometimes if I change something in the ID3 tags and re-sync and do that a few times over the song will start working again.

The mp3 is there, and it plays just fine in iTunes on my computer, just something about the sync process messes up and there’s no way to find out which songs broke until I try to play them on my phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Photos are shown only if the computer is authorized(unlock the phone and you will see a popup). Generic files on the other hand you are better off moving them to a file locker service(onedrive/google drive/dropbox/etc.) using the files app.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Photos app on Windows does importing well and you don't have to mess around trying to find your picture in 5 different folders on your phone

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was doing that yesterday and for some reason it took a few minutes before any of the actual photo folders showed up. I do believe you need iTunes installed as well. Also note that settings on the phone might dictate if you see HEIC or JPG pictures. Windows 10 with the latest updates can view HEIC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So 33% of my iPhones storage belongs to “Other”

It’s unclear how to get rid of this data. If I format my phone and then restore it from a backup, will all the “Other” data restore as well? Or is my only option to reformat the phone and manually add all the apps back one by one?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astro7x posted:

It’s unclear how to get rid of this data. If I format my phone and then restore it from a backup, will all the “Other” data restore as well? Or is my only option to reformat the phone and manually add all the apps back one by one?

What issues is it causing besides being there?

Are you getting low storage messages?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MarcusSA posted:

What issues is it causing besides being there?

Are you getting low storage messages?

My phone is constantly giving me low storage warnings, I'm running out of things that I care to delete, and the phone is acting slow and unresponsive at times.

I feel like I delete something to free up storage, and within a few days Other Data has grown

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Astro7x posted:

My phone is constantly giving me low storage warnings, I'm running out of things that I care to delete, and the phone is acting slow and unresponsive at times.

I feel like I delete something to free up storage, and within a few days Other Data has grown

I restored from an iCloud backup earlier this week and it dropped “Other” from 28GB down to 8GB. A worthy time investment imo.

Edit: actually it dropped down to 3.5 so even better

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 15, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

illcendiary posted:

I restored from an iCloud backup earlier this week and it dropped “Other” from 28GB down to 8GB. A worthy time investment imo.

Edit: actually it dropped down to 3.5 so even better

doing a restore helped me too, but the issue came back not long after.

(this was the old se)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'll give the restore a try. I do a backup to my computer through itunes, should be quick.

I literally deleted a bunch of photos, got it down to 62.3 GB of used storage. Haven't done anything, checked again, it's up to 62.5 GB. WTF.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Don't use iCloud and don't restore from old phones and just generally don't use Apple apps or services, keeps the Other low

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I'll give the restore a try. I do a backup to my computer through itunes, should be quick.

I literally deleted a bunch of photos, got it down to 62.3 GB of used storage. Haven't done anything, checked again, it's up to 62.5 GB. WTF.

The more you delete the more it will balloon up. Just restore the phone and load a backup

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sourdough posted:

Don't use iCloud and don't restore from old phones and just generally don't use Apple apps or services, keeps the Other low

I never used iCloud or any of the Apple apps and 'Other' kept filling up the storage on my 7 Plus. Backup to a PC then restore would fix it for a week or so but I never found a permanent fix.

I figure it was just Apples way of saying I should have sprung for additional storage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have an issue where if I take multiple pictures, only the first one will get added to Photos. The rest will be viewable in the little camera roll in the bottom left of the camera app, but any options will be greyed out. If you close the app and reopen it, everything except the first picture will disappear.

Anyone else seen this before?

Flesh
Dec 30, 2004

In The Flesh, Again

Astro7x posted:

Have you tried installing iOS 13.6.1? It might fix it:

'Addresses an issue where unneeded system data files might not be automatically deleted when available storage is low'

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It feels to me like “other” is a lot of junk data that builds up from using really old backups. It went away for me after starting from scratch for my latest phone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
For once when I plugged it in and unlocked it, I actually got the pop-up which let me open files or upload photos. It seems to be extremely finicky about appearing even if the phone is unlocked.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

For once when I plugged it in and unlocked it, I actually got the pop-up which let me open files or upload photos. It seems to be extremely finicky about appearing even if the phone is unlocked.

Did you try a different cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Flesh posted:

Have you tried installing iOS 13.6.1? It might fix it:

'Addresses an issue where unneeded system data files might not be automatically deleted when available storage is low'

Well drat, that fixed it... went from 22GB of "Other" to 6.29GB.

Glad I don't have to mess with a restore. It didn't even come up until I checked for an update, usually it asks me when it's ready. Probably didn't have enough storage to download the update