Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

RFC2324 posted:

linus as gordon ramsay is the perfect match

E: actually, they are basically all gordon ramsay, it would just be a bunch of people screaming obscenity at each other

gordon ramsey plays up the assholery for the us these guys are genuinely jerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

gordon ramsey plays up the assholery for the us these guys are genuinely jerks

british kitchen nightmares is so weird after watching gordon ramsey's american shows

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I liked the show on Food Network* where the British guy goes to restaurants which are doing poorly and is angry at them until they get better?

*: At least it was back in like 2012?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Linus's Patch Nightmares.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MrMoo posted:

This is something new, atop of the PS5 streaming from an SSD to the GPU we have Zuckerbook wanting to stream from the NIC to the GPU for machine learning. Also more Linux drama.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/04/gpl_condom_nvidia_linux_kernel/

nic-gpu already a big thing on the large scale ml training; but its all nvidia and rdma so its not surprising some fber is reinventing it poorly and inadvertently loving everyone else playing games with export symbols

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

Linus's Patch Nightmares.

"WHAT THE gently caress DID I SAY ABOUT GITHUB PULL REQUESTS"
that you don't believe in them
"THEN WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Processing massive amounts of streaming video through machine vision algorithms good poo poo I'm sure there's nothing capital-E Evil going on here.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wraith master for that included amd wraith cooler fan

worth mentioning this program because you can use this to turn this gaudy poo poo off, now in linux too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

wraith master for that included amd wraith cooler fan

worth mentioning this program because you can use this to turn this gaudy poo poo off, now in linux too
Can't you just turn it off in the bios unless you actually want it to light up some the time for some reason?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

not sure. if you can, then good i guess! if not, there's a way now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lol if entering your office doesn't require an epilepsy strobe warning

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

company: hi, here's our entire well-tested, production ntfs driver we'd like to gpl and add to the kernel and commit to maintaining going forward

first response from professional kernel person:

quote:

So how exactly do you expect someone to review this monstrosity ?

good reminder of why i will never bother submitting a patch ever again

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

very easy to understand both sides of that one. not that that makes the outcome any happier.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

there are ways to express that it will be difficult to properly review such a large feature that need to be discussed without slapping someone in the face off the bat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

there are ways to express that it will be difficult to properly review such a large feature that need to be discussed without slapping someone in the face off the bat

monstrosity is a good, neutral description of ntfs i think we can all agree on

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

How many lines of code is the patch?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

How many lines of code is the patch?

https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg2268204.html

holy poo poo the .patch file is 620kb

27,382 lines

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

just do a git merge and roll with it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

suggest staging area instead

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

so not at all unreasonable for an implementation of a sophisticated filesystem, which should be committed in a branch, reviewed over time by filesystem experts, and refactored to match the other implementations before being accepted into mainline

it’s not like it should be a difficult process for professional system software developers

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I think we can take their word for it that it works well and is secure and robust. they should know, after all, they wrote it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

it’s not like it should be a difficult process for professional system software developers

okay, sure, but how about the linux kernel maintainers?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rofl.

“We submitted a 620kb patch and the kernel maintainers were mean and said it wasn’t easy to review! KERNEL MAINTAINERS ARE MEAN!!!” :argh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i'm really not familiar with the background for this... is it a popular out of tree driver or something?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

rofl.

“We submitted a 620kb patch and the kernel maintainers were mean and said it wasn’t easy to review! KERNEL MAINTAINERS ARE MEAN!!!” :argh:

apparently kernel devs are so bad at their jobs they cant even review 10k loc for a robust filesystem implementation

no wonder all new development happens in weird band-aids and they keep making syscalls to fix the mistakes of the ones added just last year because code has to be submitted in baby portion sizes

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

rofl.

wow this really is the linux thread

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg2268334.html

a suse maintainer reported it breaking only 3 hours after it was posted

quote:

I've tried this using libntfs-3g mkfs.ntfs

# mkfs.ntfs /dev/vb1
# mount -t ntfs3 /dev/vb1 /mnt

This already triggered UBSAN:
Then I've tried to copy /etc into it:

# cp -rp /etc /mnt

But this triggered a NULL ptr deref:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg2268334.html

a suse maintainer reported it breaking only 3 hours after it was posted

ahahahaha perfetto.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
the only person worse than a professional software developer is a professional linux kernel developer

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

wow this really is the linux thread

have you never been through an actual review process, or do you always just get super defensive at good natured criticism

how else do you expect someone to respond when you drop 30k loc in their lap

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Solus M.D. posted:

have you never been through an actual review process, or do you always just get super defensive at good natured criticism

how else do you expect someone to respond when you drop 30k loc in their lap

like the next two responses in the mailing list that actually talk like humans about what the next steps to bring it to review would be and not reflexively looking to denigrate people and their work

if someone on my team responded to someone that way they'd be apologizing and paired with someone who can speak constructively and without hostility until they got their act together or got the boot. life is too short for dicks

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

like the next two responses in the mailing list that actually talk like humans about what the next steps to bring it to review would be and not reflexively looking to denigrate people and their work

if someone on my team responded to someone that way they'd be apologizing and paired with someone who can speak constructively and without hostility until they got their act together or got the boot. life is too short for dicks

so a little of column A, a little of column B

gotcha

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

So how exactly do you expect someone to review this monstrosity ?

This is a lovely response and I don't know why any one would defend it. It takes no extra effort to have some basic level of courtesy and professionallism, especially when someone is trying to contribute to your project.

hobbesmaster posted:

the .patch file is 620kb
27,382 lines

But this is certainly something, I'd be pretty annoyed if a PR like this dropped on my lap without any warning. Maybe should have included in the email that you acknowledge the amount of work involved in reviewing this and what the process what be/how to make it easier.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i assume there's tons of companies that squeeze out turds on the linux mailing lists like that. life is short.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hifi posted:

i assume there's tons of companies that squeeze out turds on the linux mailing lists like that. life is short.

The first patch revision in the AMD GPU series was iirc absolutely monstrous and was also a huge turd. It took over a year and a huge effort to get the drivers into the kernel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Xik posted:

But this is certainly something, I'd be pretty annoyed if a PR like this dropped on my lap without any warning. Maybe should have included in the email that you acknowledge the amount of work involved in reviewing this and what the process what be/how to make it easier.

idk why there needs to be any bashful groveling over it. the subject line "[PATCH] fs: NTFS read-write driver GPL implementation" already promises a giant chunk of code. ntfs is well known to be a complex fs, any reasonably featured implementation isn't going to be a small patch

also it's not even a PR, it's a gift and nobody is obligated to take it. even if paragon doesn't want to assist in the process of integrating it into a mainline status kernel driver, it's cool and good that they provided it, imo

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Isn't Paragon the company that sells ext4 drivers for Windows and OSX? It's good to see them doing some open source stuff

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

does anyone know offhand how the driver interfaces for sound devices changed at around 5.3? Sometime late last year or early this year?

I found a sound driver for an rpi accessory that loads via dkms and apparently it worked in Nov 2019 but it doesn't compile today. I'll probably rewrite the driver but I'm having trouble finding any modern documentation about the new framework and how it differs from the old one.

Frankly, I expect to be zero documentation but it doesn't hurt to hope. sometimes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

does anyone know offhand how the driver interfaces for sound devices changed at around 5.3? Sometime late last year or early this year?

I found a sound driver for an rpi accessory that loads via dkms and apparently it worked in Nov 2019 but it doesn't compile today. I'll probably rewrite the driver but I'm having trouble finding any modern documentation about the new framework and how it differs from the old one.

Frankly, I expect to be zero documentation but it doesn't hurt to hope. sometimes.

glad the state of getting sound to work on Linux in 2020 is as straight forward as it ever was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

starbucks hermit posted:

*extraordinarily nasal voice* sound has always worked on linux