Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Truthkeeper posted:

Chokes isn't exaggerating too much about that Dimswart journal entry. Even in the physical manual for the Forgotten Realms Archives it's over a page long, and that book has tiny rear end print because of all the poo poo they had to fit in it. Stupid bullshit secondary copyright protection.

It is easy to forget that this game was available for the Apple II and C64 computers, among others. When you have 64K available for your game, text actually takes up a lot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Good Lord, that's even more painful than your "Come on Eyelene" pun earlier.

Well done. :golfclap:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Close thread it's all downhill from here

You're entitled to your opinion, but personally, I'm proud of the mutant abomination whose creation I've inspired today. I guess it's all in the eye of- well, you know.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DGM_2 posted:

Good Lord, that's even more painful than your "Come on Eyelene" pun earlier.

Well done. :golfclap:

Animate it so the eyestalks wiggle back and forth

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
mods demand content

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

In the interest of not being banned for committing a big enough crime:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm sticking all this stuff in the OP, by the way. I'm sure it'll seem perfectly normal and sensible to anyone who's browsing the thread for the first time.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
You even immortalized the Eyelene pun?

Some things are better left in the past, Chokes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

.... what the hell was I doing earlier in the thread?

I mean its the same as I did yesterday and today but... what?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

man I don't even remember what I did last update

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Don't worry, I'll remember what you've done.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chokes McGee posted:

mods demand content

:bederper:

I said the thread would probably make a :20bux: donation to something worthy

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sebmojo posted:

:bederper:

I said the thread would probably make a :20bux: donation to something worthy

Welp, I've finally generated a smilie. I think that's pretty much everything I had left to accomplish in my lp career.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
It might be of interest to you guys to know that I just gave Chokes a plug.

I hang out on a blog called According to Hoyt. It's mostly a political blog, but they do weekly "Book Promo" posts (a lot of the regulars are writers and/or super-readers). A while back the hostess was swamped and asked for guest posts, so I offered to do a "Let's Play Promo" (inspired by their Book Promo posts) to give the super-readers over there something new to try. After way more misadventures than is remotely reasonable (don't ask), that post is finally up and the formatting issues have been fixed. I gave Chokes's Wizardry 1 LP the Honorable Mention slot for the sheer weirdness of using Sternn and crew as the adventuring party and plugged a few other LPs of his while I was at it.

A couple of warnings before I link to it:

1) Like I said, this is mainly a political blog. My guest post isn't political at all, but if you're the sort who can't remain civil when it comes to politics you might not want to wander around.

2) We consider ourselves a community of capital-"O" Odds. We don't intentionally try to scare away Normals, but if you do decide to wander around be prepared for some silliness. Oh, and mind the ballistic carp.

The post is here: https://accordingtohoyt.com/2020/08/13/lets-play-promo-by-dgm/

EDIT: Oh, and you can ignore the stuff about a cat named Greebo making me do it. That's just part of a running joke over there.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 14, 2020

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DGM_2 posted:

2) We consider ourselves a community of capital-"O" Odds. We don't intentionally try to scare away Normals, but if you do decide to wander around be prepared for some silliness. Oh, and mind the ballistic carp.
ICBM? incontinent ballistic minnow?

quote:

EDIT: Oh, and you can ignore the stuff about a cat named Greebo making me do it. That's just part of a running joke over there.

Better Greebo than You.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

ICBM? incontinent ballistic minnow?

Everything from hand-thrown to ICBCarp missiles.

The hostess says she started that tradition because of the Asterix comics. Basically, the standard punishment for especially good, bad or so-bad-it's-good puns is to be pelted with carp. Carporal punishment, you might say.

And it's funny that you of all people should be the one to ask, because you drat near got a taste of it not long ago. When you made that "Come on Eyelene" pun I instinctively started reaching for the carpzooka before I remembered where I was.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

DGM_2 posted:

1) Like I said, this is mainly a political blog. My guest post isn't political at all, but if you're the sort who can't remain civil when it comes to politics you might not want to wander around.

From Your Site's Faq posted:

Why were puppies sad? They were sad because they couldn’t find many fun, people-positive, well-written, and exciting and enchanting books to read. Since then, a whole lot of things changed, among them the creation of the Dragon Award. The Dragon Award is a fan-choice award administered by DragonCon™, and it has become the coveted award for Human Wave authors. Oh, and we also covet Benjamins (also called sawbucks, dinero, gelt, pelf, filthy lucre, you know.)

I followed a link about Human Wave books here. What’s Human Wave? Human-positive books that are fun to read and don’t beat you over the head with message. See this post, and this one, and this one. Human Wave is part of the Superversive movement in many ways. Human Wave authors include Sarah, Larry Correia, John C. Wright, L. Jagi Lamplighter, Kate Paulk, Robert Heinlein, Celia Hays, Alma Boykin, Sam Schall, Cedar Sanderson, Dave Pascoe, Amanda Green, Peter Grant, and others. Some are published by Baen Books, most are also indie or small-press.

For the people who might want a clearer idea of exactly what brand of "politics" they're wandering into. The site rule also seems to value civility, ie don't call people you disagree with mean names even if their views are heinous, while being pretty derisive about what I can only presume is their political opponents.

Goonspeed.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
What you think of it is your business, but I'm trying to avoid dragging politics into this thread. I just wanted to give fair warning, nothing else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Summoned by politics, Nina is going to come busting in here with her ORA ORA attacks on everyone

Anyway thanks for the plug! I hope it catches some people's fancy. As much as I love Rezen's creation and everything that's happened with her, I cannot believe that chunk of lunacy was what started my lp career. The whole thing happened because I was reading Running Out of Time over a holiday and was playing Wizardry and thought, hey, Nakar can do this. Surely I can too!

Fun factoid: I asked Nakar if I could use Steve in a cameo. He didn't say no but he also made it clear the answer was no :xd:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Summoned by politics, Nina is going to come busting in here with her ORA ORA attacks on everyone

Don't tell me that or I'll start bringing up politics more. I told you back near the start of this thread that I wanted to see more of Nina and Swindle!

But in the meantime, how are things going for you lately?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Don't tell me that or I'll start bringing up politics more. I told you back near the start of this thread that I wanted to see more of Nina and Swindle!

But in the meantime, how are things going for you lately?

Well I recovered from a psychotic break pretty quick, so I've got that going for me! :v:

Just trying to take it one step at a time and survive Hell City. Updates have slowed to a crawl but I'm doing them as I'm able. Thanks for checking in on me

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Yikes. Maybe Austin just isn't the place for you?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If Steve had made a guest appearance, I might of died. Nakar's Ultima series are my favorite right after the Chokesverse stuff!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

DGM_2 posted:

What you think of it is your business, but I'm trying to avoid dragging politics into this thread. I just wanted to give fair warning, nothing else.

I didn't bother to read further than the larry correia apologia, and am also not trying to drag politics in, but no reason for anyone who'd balk at that to even give the first click.

Chokes if you've had an episode my sincerest sympathies. Drink lots of orange juice or your preferred healthy-ish beverage, enjoy the sunrise or sunset or evening stars as apropos, and get if not better then at least stable and glued together as you can. Life is hard enough without your brain betraying you.

We'll be here when you have time for this.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Chokes McGee posted:

Anyway thanks for the plug! I hope it catches some people's fancy. As much as I love Rezen's creation and everything that's happened with her, I cannot believe that chunk of lunacy was what started my lp career. The whole thing happened because I was reading Running Out of Time over a holiday and was playing Wizardry and thought, hey, Nakar can do this. Surely I can too!

Fun factoid: I asked Nakar if I could use Steve in a cameo. He didn't say no but he also made it clear the answer was no :xd:

I re-read your Final Fantasy Legend LPs on the archive recently and they're still some of my favourite LPs to read, right up there with Nakar's stuff. Take as much time as you need to recover!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Yikes. Maybe Austin just isn't the place for you?

This is an accurate statement.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Why are you there, and what's keeping you from leaving?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DGM_2 posted:

If it's :bederper:, just make a post about sourdough starters and we'll send an adventuring party to spring you.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Narsham posted:

If it's :bederper:, just make a post about sourdough starters and we'll send an adventuring party to spring you.

Ah, someone needs saving? Our rates for rescue missions are quite reasonable, and we guarantee success or the victim's next-of-kin gets half his money back!

The victim's not the one hiring us. His fans are. And shouldn't they get ALL of their money back if we fail?

But then we don't get all of their money and half of the victim's. Honestly, you Marxists have terrible business sense.

Then where's the incentive to bring Chokes back alive?

...Why would we do that? :confused:

Tell you what. How 'bout I take YOU prisoner and we'll discuss your incentives in detail. :commissar:

Er, perhaps we're not available for hire just now after all. We'll get back to you pending a review of our policies.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If you find a reputable & ethical adventuring party to save Chokes, let me know if they need a local contact. I care about this LP and any future work he might do enough to want to help. And this area isn’t out to get me as much even though I’ve been here much longer. Considering I’ve done my time dealing with high tuition & mediocre grades, then as security in dangerous areas, maybe it once was. I don’t know.

And if you encounter someone shouting “Ora Ora!” take a sip of water after every Ora. You’ll be well hydrated. Another of my favorite Internet personalities gave me that advice.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
I'm not sure the Chokesverse has had any reputable & ethical adventuring parties yet, so Chokes may have screwed himself there.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Guest stars like Alias & Dragonbait don’t count?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, wait, wait... it was if Chokes posted about sourdough bread, we were supposed to send adventurers? drat it, I thought if Chokes posted about adventurers, I was supposed to bake sourdough bread. Though I did think it was a little odd that there was no instruction on what to do with said bread though...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Uh, what we try to do every night, Randy. Use the sourdough bread to try and take over the world!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

We moved here two years ago to get a fresh start and boy howdy did I not expect that restart to include rampant mental illness.

Right now, the only thing keeping us here is an iron clad lease, otherwise I'd be the gently caress out of here by the end of the year.

DGM_2 posted:

I'm not sure the Chokesverse has had any reputable & ethical adventuring parties yet, so Chokes may have screwed himself there.

sternnnnnnnnnnn

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I miss when we used to laugh at your constant stream of cartoonish problems like the beeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Stay safe and well as best you can until you can get to somewhere better.

I'll let you know if there is such a place.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

We moved here two years ago to get a fresh start and boy howdy did I not expect that restart to include rampant mental illness.

Right now, the only thing keeping us here is an iron clad lease, otherwise I'd be the gently caress out of here by the end of the year.

Ah yes, iron clad leases. Having to live under those, I grew to despise them, so much so that when I got my own house and decided to rent the extra rooms out, I decided not to do leases. We're strictly month to month. If you aren't happy here for whatever reason, I don't want to stop you from leaving. Yeah, I want to avoid jerks who leave in the middle of the night unannounced with damage to their living areas, but I discourage those in other ways. I also practice reasonable rental rates with all bills paid unless I can prove you contributed to a high bill somehow (and then we can work things out), having a cleaning service available but not mandatory, and in general being a nice guy and proper landlord in the standards of John Ritter from that old 80s show. Hooperman, not 3's Company- he didn't actually own the building in 3's Company. My rooms are popular, but sadly all rented out right now, or I'd gladly offer you one.

Sadly, I can't do much about the rampant mental illness around here, other than to offer you advice. Practice Stoicism, one thing at a time, try to keep calm.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 15, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

achtungnight posted:

Ah yes, iron clad leases. Having to live under those, I grew to despise them, so much so that when I got my own house and decided to rent the extra rooms out, I decided not to do leases. We're strictly month to month. If you aren't happy here for whatever reason, I don't want to stop you from leaving. Yeah, I want to avoid jerks who leave in the middle of the night unannounced with damage to their living areas, but I discourage those in other ways. I also practice reasonable rental rates with all bills paid unless I can prove you contributed to a high bill somehow (and then we can work things out), having a cleaning service available but not mandatory, and in general being a nice guy and proper landlord in the standards of John Ritter from that old 80s show. Hooperman, not 3's Company- he didn't actually own the building in 3's Company. My rooms are popular, but sadly all rented out right now, or I'd gladly offer you one.

Sadly, I can't do much about the rampant mental illness around here, other than to offer you advice. Practice Stoicism, one thing at a time, try to keep calm.

Um... can I get on the waiting list? I live in an that's hours from any kind of large city yet grossly overpriced despite the fact that the average income is below the national average. My landlords fix nothing and I'm fairly certain that some of my neighbours sell meth.

I am nowhere near Austin, I just wanted to vent. Going to that "community" where someone bigged up Chokes' LP was so horrifying that I need a bit of humour to cleanse my soul.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I miss when we used to laugh at your constant stream of cartoonish problems like the beeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Me too buddy. Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry, waiting lists are a little too much trouble for me. You'll have to watch Craigslist for the ad and then go through the process (interview, background check, prove you have valid ID and a working cell phone & email, application fee I waive if I think you're ok) like everyone else. Though it's cool if you ever do move to this area and want to PM me about availability.

I always fix things if there's a problem you bring to my attention. Maybe not immediately, but soon as I can depending on resources required to resolve the issue. Sometimes I even see problems others don't and fix them on my own. I also do a lot of prevention stuff- resident cat and regular pest control service to keep out the vermin, hardwood floors instead of carpet for easier cleaning, regular maid service, living in the home myself so I actually see problems, I could go on but I won't.

I like to vent too.