Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Build a wooden perimeter fence around your colony and if you cant take the fight wait for the horde to pass through or for the madness to end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Go outside when theyre asleep and cut em up

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It’s just a squirrel, close the door. Also build a colony encompassing wall.

An encircling wall is useful for funneling raids towards defensive structures. If you design it right, you’ll be able to leave the door open, making sappers not the only thing that shows up and funneling raids into your kill area, and provides an easily closable door when the pack of man hunting Yorkshire terriers show up. That usually involves a few switchback corridors with traps that opens on a clear field surrounded by sandbags and single wall segments your colonists can use for cover.

If you make it too complicated, raids will avoid it and just bang down your wall. There’s a sweet spot of trap
corridor length that winnows down raids significantly, while also not having them just avoid it. You can even build a few trap corridors around your entire wall, depending on base layout, so you uncommonly have to sally out (goes to 0 when you get a few mortars up) while on defense.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I started a new game in a boreal forest because I wasn't really feeling the jungle mountain fortress I tried. How do you grow enough crops in a biome like this? I've never played anywhere with a growing season of less than 50 days.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Moon Slayer posted:

I started a new game in a boreal forest because I wasn't really feeling the jungle mountain fortress I tried. How do you grow enough crops in a biome like this? I've never played anywhere with a growing season of less than 50 days.

Sunlamp + Heater in a walled off and roofed area (commonly referred to as a greenhouse). You can just plant in the ground. Later you can upgrade to hydroponics if you want to, I usually just make another greenhouse rather than use hydroponics if I need to grow more.

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 14, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ah, that makes sense. Better get some non wood-based power sources up and running asap.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
My first refugee quest in 1.2 had two pyromaniac misandrists join for 18 days, not set a single fire, and then send me a variometric power cell and 18 glitterworld medicine while I was still working with herbal meds and solar/wind. I even had the firewatch auto rain modded off so it was the perfect time to burn down the whole map! Highly disappointing saboteurs.

I’ve enabled 10 or so out of date 1.1 mods on top of those that did update and haven’t run into any issues so far, although none are big overhauls like android tiers. Give it a shot if you’re waiting for a couple to update.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

25 tiles of rice growing per colonist, for year round growing and simple meals each day. Up area planted to 80 for 30 growing days, and 130 for 10. This is very labor intensive. Numbers from half remembered analysis of crop rates and meals. Hot houses are better.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

After ~3.5 days there are almost half as many 1.2 mods as 1.1 in terms of Steam tags, so things seem to be updating pretty quickly.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it seems like a much smaller jump than 1.1 was, probably due to not having to worry about expansion content. Any mod that didn't hook into stuff that changed is probably just fine, and honestly I just enabled half my 1.1 modlist and haven't had any issues.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Asimo posted:

Yeah it seems like a much smaller jump than 1.1 was, probably due to not having to worry about expansion content. Any mod that didn't hook into stuff that changed is probably just fine, and honestly I just enabled half my 1.1 modlist and haven't had any issues.

Same, game load has a whole bunch of yellow mods and no issues I've noticed yet.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
How well do you think you can make a freezer trap using the doors from Save Our Ship that blocks air from moving though while the door is open?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is there a way to make Rimworld tell you how many squares are in a zone?

e: Wow, you know what makes a great raider trap? When one of the entrances into your home area leads through a spider cave.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 14, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a way to make Rimworld tell you how many squares are in a zone?

e: Wow, you know what makes a great raider trap? When one of the entrances into your home area leads through a spider cave.

When you're creating a game you can define the size of it in squares, each full map will have that many.

Now how many of those squares are buildable? That's another question and not one you can easily query.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Coolguye posted:

When you're creating a game you can define the size of it in squares, each full map will have that many.

Now how many of those squares are buildable? That's another question and not one you can easily query.

My problem is that I've built a room with a zone, it has irregular boundaries, and I want to know how much space it contains.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually designate mining over it, then multiply the boundaries, I don't think theres a straight up counter though

E: you literally said in your post that it has irregular boundaries :frogdunce: I missed it somehow

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Could you use the Spaciousness room stat? Click the graph icon lower right to toggle room inspection numbers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spaciousness I believe correlates directly to tiles but only counts up to 350, and I don't know if it also discounts numbers for furniture, I think each furniture item counts as half a tile less or something so it might only work in an empty room.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Unless the zone is really labyrinthine and winding you should be able to just take the biggest rectangular area and find that by multiplying its dimensions then adding the additional ones.

Like, how big is this zone and what is it for?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just define a function to integrate over to get the area of the surface

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Zore posted:

Unless the zone is really labyrinthine and winding you should be able to just take the biggest rectangular area and find that by multiplying its dimensions then adding the additional ones.

Like, how big is this zone and what is it for?

What happened is that I had an irregular hole in the edge of a mountain, I hastily walled it in, refrigerated it, and began using it for refrigerating food. Sounds like my best alternative is just to chip it out to be regular.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You shouldn’t need to know dimensions for a freezer, unless you got something in particular in mind.

The only things off the top of my head are sleeping room sizes and thronerooms that need particular numbers. Otherwise, it’s mostly, “does this size fit my needs.”

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I thought there was a maximum size for a freezer past which one cooler isn't enough.

Halp! I have a downed pod victim, but I can't find the affordance for rescuing them. Right-clicking the body doesn't work, and I don't see anything on their bio tab.

e: Changing my spare bed to a medbed did the trick.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 14, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The number of coolers you will need depends on how hot it is, how much of it is under mountains, how many doors you put on it, and whether you double layer the walls.

But broadly you can just... add another cooler if it's not cold enough. I tend to stagger mine temperature wise, so that they turn onto low power mode once they get past a certain temperature, while others try to pull it even colder, it usually evens out with one of them turning off and on and it holding around that temperature.

If you want to maximise power efficiency (and access speed efficiency) you want only one entrance/exit, double thick walls, probably under a mountain to absorb some of the summer heat, and a sort of airlock door system where you have two doors one tile apart (if you put them adjacent it goes weird) to keep the heat out. Make them autodoors too for speed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My problem is that I've built a room with a zone, it has irregular boundaries, and I want to know how much space it contains.

Oh! Sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, there's not an easy way to do that, as other folks have basically made clear at this point.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Changing my spare bed to a medbed did the trick.
This is the correct response for a lot of situations, so remember this trick.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sometimes a guy really, really needs a pedicure.

:rip: So, okay, how does a beginner deal with mad animals? Just hiding until they get over it doesn't seem to work.

In the early game, if it’s a lone dangerous animal, I’d send one colonist (ideally one that’s fast and/or tough) to kite it along while another shoots from a distance to take it down.

If it’s a remotely sizeable herd then I forbid the doors and wait. Doesn’t really matter if it’s elephants or squirrels, early on you just don’t have the rate of fire to put a herd down before they seriously gently caress you up (or I never do anyway).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bryter posted:

In the early game, if it’s a lone dangerous animal, I’d send one colonist (ideally one that’s fast and/or tough) to kite it along while another shoots from a distance to take it down.

If it’s a remotely sizeable herd then I forbid the doors and wait. Doesn’t really matter if it’s elephants or squirrels, early on you just don’t have the rate of fire to put a herd down before they seriously gently caress you up (or I never do anyway).

To clarify, once they fall asleep they'll stop being in manhunting mode so you can indeed wait it out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have some simple mod ideas but I don't know if anyone would want them, if they're feasible, or if they already exist

Independence traits - Add an "Independent" trait to pawn creation. This trait will cause the pawn to sometimes ignore job priorities that you assign to it, based on passion - you may have assigned Mining as Priority 1 to Mary Ann but she would really rather go Plant things right now, because she's Very Passionate in that, so she ignores her priority to goof off in the fields; you can still force them back to work manually. In exchange, they have an additional bonus to learning passionate traits. Fiercely Independent is a more extreme form of Independent, it comes with a mood boost when the pawn allowed to do what they want and a mood loss when forced to do something else.

Fermentation - Renames the Brewery bench (maybe to Fermentation Table?) and adds just a handful of fermentation recipes. Convert a variety of nutritious plants into Alcohol, which takes the place of beer as a low-value recreation item. Beer is more valuable, but wort now requires some other nutrition + hops instead of just hops. "Create Preserves" is a recipe that seeks out the soonest-rotting food item and converts it into slightly longer-lasting preserved equivalents - milk becomes cheese, berries become jam, raw meat gets cured, etc.
(I've seen the Alcohol Expanded mod, which I think goes in the wrong direction - it adds realism at the cost of conciseness and convenience. Vanilla Brewing Expanded has a similar problem - too many new things to be built, and also too much fluff in the sheer quantity of inputs and outputs)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd dump any independent tbh. Having someone fill a random bill if they're not the top pawn randomly would be hell.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Make a mod where you can make doors one-way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'd dump any independent tbh. Having someone fill a random bill if they're not the top pawn randomly would be hell.

I think of it as encouraged specialization - if an Independent is passionate about plants, then they won't randomly switch out of a plants job, as they're already working on something that they're passionate about. But if you have them prioritized on mining when they're not passionate about mining then sometimes they'll say "gently caress this, I am a passionate artist, I want to go make a sculpture"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 14, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sounda kinda cute and I already assign duties according to passions(usually) but I do have some questions.

1) Will this interrupt a task in the middle of it? i.e. surgery or tending because if so tossing that trait in the same pile as pyromaniac and other disaster traits.

2) Anything to stop me from drafting/undrafting and/or right click assigning?

3) What does the pawn do if they *can't* do the passionate duty? There are large periods of time where even massive crop fields(I'm doing a mass production yato farm colony atm) have no Planting actions to do. Can they pursue Art without an Art bench? Etc. I guess the check would only be active if the duty was available.

It would be cute to have a trait like "Gabby" that only pops up with say Social Passions, where they ignore their duties to go spam a few socializing bubbles at nearby colonists.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Those are some good questions and I'm thinking:

1) The easiest implementation is probably to have the independence check work in the same way as recreation, sleep, food, etc. checks. So a pawn can stop working on constructing a wall because they got hungry or bored, but I think things like surgeries, tending, talking to prisoners, etc aren't normally interrupted by those checks because they're all only 1 "unit" of work, so the pawn normally finish those kinds of tasks unless the player intervenes.

2) I don't want to change how force-assignment and drafting work, you'd still be able to force-assign tasks or use drafting to make them re-check their task list.

3) Pawns should just act normally when there's no available passion task. Everything else about task checking is the same, but sometimes when they check for new tasks they'll place passionate tasks at higher priority than non-passionate tasks, and very passionate tasks at the highest priority.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Probably Rimcuisine and Best Mix mods for the food preserves thing. Rimcuisine has both dried fruit as well as canned preserves.

Best Mix lets you pick not only about armor stats in crafting but food expiry time.

Vanilla Brewing Expanded has gin which is basically a catch all fruit alcohol. It does add a number of things, but realistically any colony is going to have maybe 2-3 brewing types occurring anyway.

I don’t know if VBE has Fermenter mod functionality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a mod that significantly reworks how passions work in general, giving different types of them with different effects, one of which is a need to practice a particular skill:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2089938084

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Once I have a base with fields, bedrooms/kitchens/freezer/research & craft room, and I'm well-stocked on food & ingredients, what should I expand to? Should I be setting up caravans, or are there standard things I don't know about I should be working on?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Well your goal is to leave the planet so decide if you want to travel to the AI ship, schmooze with the nobility, or roll your own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or just build a cool base. It's up to you. Mods can help with adding more stuff like Rimatomics for lategame research/buildings and Save Our Ship 2 for expanding the spaceship part.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I meant really short-term. Like, it's summer Year 1, I'm stocking up on food and warm clothing, what else should I be doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I meant really short-term. Like, it's summer Year 1, I'm stocking up on food and warm clothing, what else should I be doing?

Weapons and dedicated defenses because you are going to be attacked.