Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Oof the DLC really did a number on Ferdinand's A-Support. They shoulda thought that out more.

It just occurred to me how Ironic the factions are. The northern lands and families that were Rhea's enemies who she conquered and killed are the people whose descendants side with her, while the lands and families that she and her posse empowered are the ones who are fighting to overthrow her. The state explicitly created to unify Fodlan under Seiros is fighting the children of the Ten Elites in order to get rid of Seiros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

McTimmy posted:

It's only ever said that Miklan got the boot because of the lack of a Crest.

There was also an Abyss NPC talking about how his branch got thrown out of his family because they didn't have Crests.

Syvlain gives more details in his supports, or some other convo, which ones I forget though. Miklan was removed as heir but only kicked out of the family proper because he kept trying to murder Sylvain

Ultimately the Crest system is hosed up in a lot of ways, and some people are more obsessed with it than others and doing more extreme things, but being disinherited because the head of the house should be someone who has the family crest and thus can wield its relic makes consistent internal logic anyway. You're still set to be a noble with a cushy life for the most part as part of a prestigious family.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 14, 2020

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hey fire emblem goons, this seems like an appropriate thread to ask. In FE Awakening if you are adjacent to a friendly when you fight, the friendly has a chance to either defend your attacker or to join in and hit the enemy. Is there a button command to tell them to gently caress off and not help?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Hey fire emblem goons, this seems like an appropriate thread to ask. In FE Awakening if you are adjacent to a friendly when you fight, the friendly has a chance to either defend your attacker or to join in and hit the enemy. Is there a button command to tell them to gently caress off and not help?

No.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
:argh: dammit. I thought I remembered that being possible

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Nope!

Also, for future general fe questions without having the answer debate whether edelgard did nothing wrong:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&pagenumber=1335&perpage=40

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Rimusutera posted:

Syvlain gives more details in his supports, or some other convo, which ones I forget though. Miklan was removed as heir but only kicked out of the family proper because he kept trying to murder Sylvain

Ultimately the Crest system is hosed up in a lot of ways, and some people are more obsessed with it than others and doing more extreme things, but being disinherited because the head of the house should be someone who has the family crest and thus can wield its relic makes consistent internal logic anyway. You're still set to be a noble with a cushy life for the most part as part of a prestigious family.

It's his Byleth A support but he also doesn't say it was responsible for Miklan getting kicked out.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

FoolyCharged posted:

Nope!

Also, for future general fe questions without having the answer debate whether edelgard did nothing wrong:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&pagenumber=1335&perpage=40

Ah, much obliged!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

:argh: dammit. I thought I remembered that being possible

If you’re going out of your way to do it for feeding kills or something, technically you can unequip the guy if they haven’t used their turn since iirc a unit changing their own inventory doesn’t use a turn (it’s only when someone alters an ally’s inventory that they have to use their turn to wait/attack)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I thought the main unit always got the kill exp regardless of who actually landed the finishing blow?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

I thought the main unit always got the kill exp regardless of who actually landed the finishing blow?

Yeah that is the case but if you’re, like, trying to feed a kill to Unit C and Unit A’s attack leaves the enemy with like 2 HP then it’s usually annoying when Unit B swoops in on a 20% dual strike proc

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Finished Azure Moon today, third route I've done. Just Silver Snow left which will be the first time I recruit literally everybody possible, both to spice up what I gather is a very boring route and also for support log purposes.

Heard a lot of horror stories about the final AM map but I found it vastly easier than the end of CF

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Sudden Javelin posted:

Heard a lot of horror stories about the final AM map but I found it vastly easier than the end of CF

Everyone's just scared of the Bolting mages. At least your cav units can actually move. My first play through of CF I made both Ferdie and Sylvain Great Knights. :shepface:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Sudden Javelin posted:

Finished Azure Moon today, third route I've done. Just Silver Snow left which will be the first time I recruit literally everybody possible, both to spice up what I gather is a very boring route and also for support log purposes.

I'm in part II of Silver Snow now and even though it's my first run, I still managed to recruit every recruitable character, even though I'm still sticking with my main cast. So I guess it only gets better from here?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

It's my third playthrough, and I only just figured out how to equip the dancer class. I always changed classes immediately after taking exams in previous playthroughs, so I never payed any attention to how to switch classes outside of taking exams. Whoops!

It's a pretty amazing class for making a powerful mage with little movement into an even more dangerous character!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Inu posted:

It's my third playthrough, and I only just figured out how to equip the dancer class. I always changed classes immediately after taking exams in previous playthroughs, so I never payed any attention to how to switch classes outside of taking exams. Whoops!

It's a pretty amazing class for making a powerful mage with little movement into an even more dangerous character!

Do you mean that you're dancing the powerful mage, or turning the mage into a dancer to give them 2 more movement? Dancer is amazing, but I would avoid making a powerful offensive mage your dancer because dance is such a powerful action that it is almost always the best choice. It'll let you use one of your strongest units twice. They'll also miss out on getting extra magic uses, tomefaire, or canto depending on which class they would have been.

I'm a big fan of turning the dancer into a sword-using dodge tank because of the sword avoid +20 that dancers get. This means they can dance someone, and be left in range of enemies to tank them on enemy phase. Ferdinand is the best candidate because of his personal skill, which gives +15 hit/avoid when at full health (which is easy to stay at since he dodges everything). My Ferdinands were essentially unhittable even on maddening, except by spear users with swordbreaker. Plus he was pretty good at killing stuff in retaliation thanks to his wo dao+ and good speed.

Here he is murdering an axe guy on ch12:
https://twitter.com/Genovera_SA/status/1181637680020328448

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah dodgetank build dancers is like, optimization wise the only thing you should consider doing with them that'd let them see combat. The dance ability means theres always a better offensive option for someone, or even support casting; You get weird arguments out there that an optimal dancer wants various healing spells like physic or something.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just made Dorothea my dancer and would just have her dance the MC which basically deletes two enemies per turn since the MC is grossly overpowered (I'm playing on Hard not Madness).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I just made Dorothea my dancer and would just have her dance the MC which basically deletes two enemies per turn since the MC is grossly overpowered (I'm playing on Hard not Madness).

I always heard Dorothea was the best dancer in the game, but I really regretted making her one the second time I did it. It did nothing to help her MAG growth which was nerf'd due to bad RNG that run, and half the time on later maps, I really wanted to be able to Meteor someone instead. (The first time I made her one was my first playthrough, and I was already overleveled on Normal. So it didn't matter.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 18, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, best Dancer is almost definitely Ferdinand and its not even really close. He becomes an amazing dodge-tank when coupling his amazing personal skill with Sword Avo +20.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Genovera posted:

Do you mean that you're dancing the powerful mage, or turning the mage into a dancer to give them 2 more movement? Dancer is amazing, but I would avoid making a powerful offensive mage your dancer because dance is such a powerful action that it is almost always the best choice. It'll let you use one of your strongest units twice. They'll also miss out on getting extra magic uses, tomefaire, or canto depending on which class they would have been.

I'm a big fan of turning the dancer into a sword-using dodge tank because of the sword avoid +20 that dancers get. This means they can dance someone, and be left in range of enemies to tank them on enemy phase. Ferdinand is the best candidate because of his personal skill, which gives +15 hit/avoid when at full health (which is easy to stay at since he dodges everything). My Ferdinands were essentially unhittable even on maddening, except by spear users with swordbreaker. Plus he was pretty good at killing stuff in retaliation thanks to his wo dao+ and good speed.

Here he is murdering an axe guy on ch12:
https://twitter.com/Genovera_SA/status/1181637680020328448

No, I made Dorothea a dancer. I recruited Lysithea, so I was mostly thinking of her when I mentioned giving her the extra movement and attacks.

There was actually a surprise for me when I got to the dance competition. That wily Claude is always holding his cards close to the chest!
https://twitter.com/Akinomakinomin1/status/1295341834114199553?s=20

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Marianne is another fantastic dancer, between levin swords and blutgang, a solid faith spell list, and really good magic growth she has a tendency to be my non-Ferdie dancer. Or Raphael, because reasons.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You should not give your dancer blutgang.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

The problem with Marianne as a dancer mechanically is that her speed growth is a bit iffy and her strength growth is bad-- and physical avoid is based on attack speed. I also think her spell list is too valuable to consign her to dancing every player phase.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Marianne should be a dark flier.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Ultimately you should make whoever you want whatever you want but I reiterate that the logic of "this character is a great dancer because [list of reasons that involve not dancing]" isnt good. Its like saying Linhardt is a good Bishop because of his Reason spell list and not Physic and Warp. The dodge tank build is good inpart because it ups the opportunities and situations you can stick your dancer into to dance people and survive getting initiated on. Of note to Marianne discussion though Blutgang does Magic Damage, so her Strength growth isnt a draw back to her using it.

Speaking of Dark Flier I wish all the classes had more slots for skills and that one actually had Dark Tomefaire. Honestly wish the DLC classes were just in from the beginning and they were better arranged and balanced and there were no genderlocks or just it was better implemented yadda yadda I could go on for a while.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Melomane Mallet posted:

Marianne should be a dark flier.

Valkyrie so she can ride Dorte.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Rimusutera posted:

Of note to Marianne discussion though Blutgang does Magic Damage, so her Strength growth isnt a draw back to her using it.

I mentioned her strength growth because it does have a small effect on attack speed (though the speed growth is much more important), and attack speed is used to calculate physical avoid. Not that I'd want my dancer to be my highest strength unit, but it is a drawback.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Rimusutera posted:

Speaking of Dark Flier I wish all the classes had more slots for skills and that one actually had Dark Tomefaire. Honestly wish the DLC classes were just in from the beginning and they were better arranged and balanced and there were no genderlocks or just it was better implemented yadda yadda I could go on for a while.

I finished the DLC quest before my current playthrough, so I'm using the DLC classes and characters for the first time, and yeah, the classes are pretty useful. Having more mobile mages alone is super useful, but I've also been getting use out of the warrior monk since so many fighting classes can't use magic, even if the original character has a decent spell list.

Actually, is there anywhere in game that tells you which classes can and can't use magic? I've gotten nasty surprises a couple of times when I changed a character into a class only to find out in my next battle that they could no longer use any of their spells.

I'm finding stat growth to be kind of opaque too. I had Hapi go up through magic classes until making her a valkyrie, and for some reason she seems to have much lower magic stats than Lysithea, Hubert, and Lindhart. Those three can usually one-shot armored units, but Hapi usually only does like 1/2-2/3 of a health bar of damage. Her mobility is still useful, but her not being able to finish off the types of units I expect her to finish off is annoying.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hapi's growths are identical to Linhardt's so it's just bad luck.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Eimi posted:

Valkyrie so she can ride Dorte.

dorte can grow wings

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Inu posted:

Actually, is there anywhere in game that tells you which classes can and can't use magic? I've gotten nasty surprises a couple of times when I changed a character into a class only to find out in my next battle that they could no longer use any of their spells.

Class descriptions are it, really. No full convenient list.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

professor metis posted:

dorte can grow wings

:hai:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rimusutera posted:

Ultimately you should make whoever you want whatever you want but I reiterate that the logic of "this character is a great dancer because [list of reasons that involve not dancing]" isnt good. Its like saying Linhardt is a good Bishop because of his Reason spell list and not Physic and Warp. The dodge tank build is good inpart because it ups the opportunities and situations you can stick your dancer into to dance people and survive getting initiated on. Of note to Marianne discussion though Blutgang does Magic Damage, so her Strength growth isnt a draw back to her using it.

I used Bernie as my dancer in my last game and she was fine. She killed Ferdinand and the Death Knight.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I used Bernie as my dancer in my last game and she was fine. She killed Ferdinand and the Death Knight.

Bernadetta is a great unit. A virtual killing machine if you will.

Imagine if you'd made someone else your dancer, you'd have twice the Bernie. Double Encloser, Double Vengeance Lance Spam, Double Hunter's Volley if she's a Sniper, Double Rescue shenanigans if she's a magic class etc etc.

That's the point I was getting at how the best dancer is the one that dances.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Inu posted:

So, here's the breakdown:

--If you see the term "This class can use some magic.", this means that the class can use magic, but at halved spell charges (i.e., Fire will have 5 uses, Thunder will have 4 uses, etc). These include: Noble/Commoner, Trickster, and War Monk/Cleric.

--All other magic class can use magic without restrictions. This means both black/dark magic and white magic can be used by these classes. So, anyone in Mage can cast Heal if they know it, for instance. The difference is what each class will specialize in stat-wise as well as class abilities.

--All physical classes cannot use magic, no matter what you do. Some have a special case where they can (Death Knight), but otherwise, if there's a tome icon in the class abilities or it specifies "magic" in the class description, then it's a magic class.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ignatz is probably my favourite dancer that I've used because he had really bad combat growths so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. He could also use physic if there was no one to dance in any turn. Requireed a few successful teatimes to get his charm high enough to win the contest though.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

TA Metis posted:

Ignatz is probably my favourite dancer that I've used because he had really bad combat growths so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. He could also use physic if there was no one to dance in any turn. Requireed a few successful teatimes to get his charm high enough to win the contest though.

Ignatz taking up the art of painting with movement is also poetically fitting

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

TA Metis posted:

Yeah, if I play through GD again and don't recruit Ferdinand or Yuri I'd probably pick Ignatz as my dancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

best way to choose your dancer imo is to pick whichever of your favorite units sucks the most that run

you're not wasting a good unit and you don't have to run ignatz. win-win tbh