Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I felt bad for the 19th, the female-focused news outlet that Texas Tribune executive editor Emily Ramshaw was starting earlier this year, because you figure a media startup is hosed in 2020 but it looks like they're actually doing pretty well.

https://twitter.com/19thnews/status/1291373477883187202

That's a massive get.

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/1294335529014775808

I think that's the first one-on-one with Harris after being named VP, also a huge get. Hopefully their funding is matching the caliber of their access. I don't know exactly what their funding model is, but I imagine it takes a lot from the Texas Tribune, which seems to be the only media outlet in the whole state that's doing well these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

I felt bad for the 19th, the female-focused news outlet that Texas Tribune executive editor Emily Ramshaw was starting earlier this year, because you figure a media startup is hosed in 2020 but it looks like they're actually doing pretty well.

https://twitter.com/19thnews/status/1291373477883187202

That's a massive get.

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/1294335529014775808

I think that's the first one-on-one with Harris after being named VP, also a huge get. Hopefully their funding is matching the caliber of their access. I don't know exactly what their funding model is, but I imagine it takes a lot from the Texas Tribune, which seems to be the only media outlet in the whole state that's doing well these days.

I haven't gotten around to joining Texas Tribune yet (but I've gone to Tribfest twice), but I joined 19th this week. It's $19/year and they don't deny you access based on membership, but I felt like it was a cause worth supporting. It's literally the only news site I have given money, but I know I should pay for some others. I think their gets are probably from Emily Ramshaw's past connections, but it is still amazing. Apparently Royalty Twitter has been trolling them hard through for having Meghan Markle.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh god what's worse to attract the attention of in your menchies, royalty twitter or khive

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

i say swears online posted:

oh god what's worse to attract the attention of in your menchies, royalty twitter or khive

Royalty Twitter. Royalty Twitter, just media about royalty, is just so bizarre, as an American. They were bizarrely and unreasonably angry and cruel towards Princess Diana and now Meghan Markle. Like, the royal family doesn't meaningfully impact anyone's lives, but folks are so angry and racist. I get they're a big part of celebrity gossip, but you would think Meghan Markle had murdered the Queen the way they speak.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/georgepbush/status/1294126160390098944?s=21

Literal broken windows policing

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It is particularly funny because police will not be involved at all in something like that. This happened at the complex I lived at a few years ago and APD of course did not care and wasn’t going to do anything, much to the consternation of my neighbors. You file an online police report and give it to your insurance company, and that is basically the end of it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol when a car is broken into in the parking lot we don't even call the cops anymore unless the person requests it. it happens like four times a week since the plague started

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This popped up in Kroger. I demand you explain thread.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/austin-s-pizza-pepperoni-thin-crust-pizza/1994775

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

lol when a car is broken into in the parking lot we don't even call the cops anymore unless the person requests it. it happens like four times a week since the plague started

They'll come out if something valuable enough to warrant a felony was stolen, AND you can prove the value, AND it's possibly traceable. But otherwise yeah, they don't give a poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1294397744551997440

Why dont we have a condescending “sure bud” smiley

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1294397744551997440

Why dont we have a condescending “sure bud” smiley

:allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pal I literally named that smiley, it ain't a condescending nod

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
A :jerkbag: that gets bigger and bigger until it devours the Earth.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Pal I literally named that smiley, it ain't a condescending nod

How the hell did you intend it?? It's always used condescendingly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes condescendingly but in a naive way not a "sure thing pal I bet " way. Nuance!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:nallears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leading indicators gonna lead

https://twitter.com/1DalM/status/1294390062692564992

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The real crime is the state wasting money on Chrysler garbage.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DuckHuntDog posted:

It is particularly funny because police will not be involved at all in something like that. This happened at the complex I lived at a few years ago and APD of course did not care and wasn’t going to do anything, much to the consternation of my neighbors. You file an online police report and give it to your insurance company, and that is basically the end of it.

It's particularly funny because my first thought is, "A cop did that."

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

i am harry posted:

And if it wasn't that, what does it have to do with policing? It's not like the cops stopped it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i posted this in the austin thread but here's an interview from today with the police chief with a guy who has an antagonistic relationship with APD

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jeff-ward...V5Nh4iRMu5fyimI

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

DuckHuntDog posted:

But if a police officer had been standing right there at the time, those broken windows would probably not have happened. And there would have been an officer standing right there if not for these budget cuts which haven't actually happened yet.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

i am harry posted:

Same. I'd bet a very large amount of money that it was a cop or someone with a blue lives matter sticker on their truck trying to Prove A Point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i am harry posted:

That's usually the implication when a powerful violent group threatens an increase of violence if its demands aren't met.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm not sure if this belongs in the politics thread, but does anyone else expect to see a rather large influx of Californians over the next decade? Heard many stories of residents leaving the state due to the insane cost of living, but lately celebrities with huge social sway like Joe Rogan have been touting the state as the land of milk and honey with their moves and I can't help but think that's going to cause a spike.

Since California is a notoriously liberal voting state in their elections, that would have a big impact on moving things in a much more progressive direction for Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs in the politics thread, but does anyone else expect to see a rather large influx of Californians over the next decade? Heard many stories of residents leaving the state due to the insane cost of living, but lately celebrities with huge social sway like Joe Rogan have been touting the state as the land of milk and honey with their moves and I can't help but think that's going to cause a spike.

Since California is a notoriously liberal voting state in their elections, that would have a big impact on moving things in a much more progressive direction for Texas.

Is this post from 15 years ago? Not only is it expected but it’s been happening for about that long, if not longer

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah they've been ruining Austin for over a decade and it's only a matter of time before they start overrunning somewhere else. I hear Wichita Falls is very similar in climate to Palm Springs...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Parrotine posted:

There are two types of Californians who move to Texas: those who can’t afford living there, and those who are wealthy but hate all the regulations and high taxes. The latter group also tends to vote conservative and also donate to politicians.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hot take the people ruining Austin are actually the white hippies who have been there since the 70s

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Parrotine posted:

Unfortunately the kind of people who would leave California for Texas have a distinct tendency towards being more conservative than people born here - they're fleeing Godless Commiefornia, after all.

In 2016 more people born here voted for Beto than Cruz, while people originally from elsewhere went in the other direction.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Parrotine posted:

To reiterate what others have said, yes Californians have been migrating over to Texas in droves a little over a decade or so, but not in the way you think. Lots of conservative groups actively advertise in California, rural and otherwise, that Texas is a conservative paradise and affordable to move to. End up moving to the Dallas suburbs. Yeah you got your techbros moving into Texas but in way smaller numbers than the former. Both muck poo poo up in their own way.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also California I think is either flat in population growth or losing people just because it’s too expensive since they don’t build housing there. So there are also economic migrants in addition to tech people and alamosexuals. The economic migrants are the ones helping turn the state blue

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

i posted this in the austin thread but here's an interview from today with the police chief with a guy who has an antagonistic relationship with APD

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jeff-ward...V5Nh4iRMu5fyimI

I don't know Austin local politics and only APD stuff that gets posted in this thread, but that police chief interviewee is so obviously talking bullshit that I couldn't listen more than halfway.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chief Manley is not a good person!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MoseBuchele/status/1294680936651554816

Oh yeah what happened

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

To reiterate what others have said, yes Californians have been migrating over to Texas in droves a little over a decade or so, but not in the way you think. Lots of conservative groups actively advertise in California, rural and otherwise, that Texas is a conservative paradise and affordable to move to. End up moving to the Dallas suburbs. Yeah you got your techbros moving into Texas but in way smaller numbers than the former. Both muck poo poo up in their own way.

That's a bummer, I was hoping the influx would help shake up the political dynamics here but looks like we only get newer blood to reinforce the old guard.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm starting to miss the "catastrophic flooding" part of the climate disaster

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

Hot take the people ruining Austin are actually the white hippies who have been there since the 70s

Counterpoint: They're the only reason Austin isn't growing up to be a flavorless, boring business park like DFW

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This tweet will never get old unfortunately:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/966519007238066176?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i mean just lol if you move to missouri, period