Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

PittTheElder posted:

I mean this is true, but there are exceptions, Game of Thrones being a notable recent example. I feel like there's another show that did something similar though I am at a complete loss for what I'm thinking of.

Lord of the Rings did it kind of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mega Comrade posted:

Didnt that film have subtitles when it launched in American cinemas? But that could have just been a myth I heard.

I suppose trainspotting is another successful British film with almost no RP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-LRuuqFT0

There was a scene in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels where The Cat from Red Dwarf uses a lot of rhyming and Cockney slang and they put subtitles under it, that was for all releases as far as I can tell.

Have some roman memes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty sure he wanted to leave it to Maximus Decimus Meridus.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

freeedr posted:

I split my time between deep in the bayous of Louisiana and Tangier Island

https://youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E

What the hell brings you to Tangier Island? I think I saw parts of this video in one of my linguistic classes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upKqzxuJ5L4

Edit: I don't think it was this video, but I am positive it was a documentary on Tangier Island

Mauser has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Aug 15, 2020

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's good, but it's missing his yarmulke. 7/10.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Smaller. SMALLER

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Paladinus posted:

It's good, but it's missing his yarmulke. 7/10.

I thought this was a weird comment, since I never saw him wearing one. Then I looked for pictures of that, but turns out I probably already have seen him wearing one before, since he wears one the exact same color as his hair, I wasn't even able to notice it.

Then again, I don't like looking at his smug face for too long anyway, so

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

trapped mouse posted:

I thought this was a weird comment, since I never saw him wearing one. Then I looked for pictures of that, but turns out I probably already have seen him wearing one before, since he wears one the exact same color as his hair, I wasn't even able to notice it.

Then again, I don't like looking at his smug face for too long anyway, so

Yeah he wears a black yarmulke in pretty much every video at least, which is how he threads the coveted "Orthodox Zionist Jew and White Supremacist Inspiration" grift.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is farmer fram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbUCI9bEvA

the accent is common in a certain region of nc and im also assuming lousiana.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want to say that my written words are in no way representative of the way I speak. I'm essentially code switching, at least as much as an 8th century Frenchman writing in Latin did.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't think I ever speak a "t" unless it's at the start of a word

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wan' to say tha' my wri'en words are in no way represen'a'ive of the way I speak. I'm essenyally code swi'ching, at leas' as much as an ei' cen'ury Frenchman wri'ing in La'in did.

How'd i do

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My ts are either swallowed or are changed to ds

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My ts are either swallowed or are changed to ds

I wannasay tha my wridden words er inoway represenadiv uf thuway I speek. I'm essenjally coad swichin, at leasas much asan ayth cenchury Frenjhmen wriydding in Ladin did.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Aug 15, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't think I ever speak a "t" unless it's at the start of a word

This is essentially Scottish fwiw except when a ‘t’ does occur it is replaced with ‘d’.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
the other night I took a selfie that turned out to look a lot like the squart guy, and then I found out my partner didn't know who the squart guy was, which sent me down a rabbit hole which I now share with you all

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How does that not say PRESS SQUART

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

dialhforhero posted:

This is essentially Scottish fwiw except when a ‘t’ does occur it is replaced with ‘d’.

My accent is mostly about changing ts to ds, changing os to us, adding syllables to monosyllabic words, and swallowing syllables/welding words onto other words.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Data Graham posted:

How does that not say PRESS SQUART

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Squart? SQUAAAAAAART!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wet rear end P-wing.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Squart enix used to be my twitter handle.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
wait is that not Alex Jones?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My accent is mostly about changing ts to ds, changing os to us, adding syllables to monosyllabic words, and swallowing syllables/welding words onto other words.

I feel like you just described all accents, so

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I feel like you just described all accents, so

Well my argument is that written English and correct spelling are bullshit so good

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

I'll stop after this, I promise, but all of this sounds prescriptive. The only scientific value in spoken language is whether you're able to reach your speaker and communicate your intent. Only if you have a very large audience, which is unique as a language learner in the modern era, will you be judged against a discourse community beyond your inherent language learning circle.

All of these traits you describe sound like they've been taught as "bastardizations" of some standard, where a true believer would just say you have a unique dialect and a small community.

There are arguments about whether the linguistic traits should be preserved and taught, but usually academia errs towards recording the uniqueness and keeping out of the social argument.

ILL Machina has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Aug 15, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Please only post in your accent like an Irvine Welsh book

I will too, “cawfee””arange””harrible”

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Sometimes I hear youtubers pronounce "th" as "td"

Like they'll say "wit'd" instead of "with" and I'll just silently shake my head

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Please, every one needs to post in their spoken dialect.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Raised in Los Angeles so, “TV”.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
yu awl nead to carm doun withis axe-ent tawk

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Waddryuall tokkinabat?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

https://i.imgur.com/lfJTBbi.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I have a non distinct, non regional accent and perfectly enunciate every word, including implied punctuation.