Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I drove this:

To take a trip on this:

And look at this:

It was nice!

Wild scenery.

Such a nice way to cruise. 100% battery electric, you only hear the water rippling in the wake. The trip is 2 hours, it cruises at 14 knots. Their recharge time varies between 30 and 60 minutes in port throughout the day. If you want to take a ride, travel here: https://www.visitflam.com/

I-Pace was nice too. 19" rims don't look the coolest, but the ride was good. A bit noisy in tunnels. ACC is good but the lane keeper doesn't do much. More of a safety thing for falling asleep, not really a driving assist system. Perhaps there are levels in the options?

e: do we really need to do timg anymore? The pics autosize to screen width and you download the same amount anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

Today I drove this:

Such a nice way to cruise. 100% battery electric, you only hear the water rippling in the wake. The trip is 2 hours, it cruises at 14 knots. Their recharge time varies between 30 and 60 minutes in port throughout the day. If you want to take a ride, travel here: https://www.visitflam.com/

I-Pace was nice too. 19" rims don't look the coolest, but the ride was good. A bit noisy in tunnels. ACC is good but the lane keeper doesn't do much. More of a safety thing for falling asleep, not really a driving assist system. Perhaps there are levels in the options?

e: do we really need to do timg anymore? The pics autosize to screen width and you download the same amount anyway.

The fjords look extremely lovely. The I-pace looks great too, were there any construction issues? I would worry about getting a hydrocarbon powered Jag, let alone an EV. Agreed that the 19s look pretty lame.

I have a test drive in a couple of e-trons this week but am finding myself increasingly tempted to wait for the e-tron GT. The base Taycan is actually not that much more expensive than an e-tron, maybe that is worth a look. Though I absolutely hated the sales experience last time I went into Porsche.

(for my part please do continue to timg pictures)

e: I would need to finance a Taycan and the offers on their website are atrocious, like 27k down and then 2.5k a month for 48 months bad. How is a 150k Porsche 5x as expensive as a 125k Audi?

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 14, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The fjords look extremely lovely. The I-pace looks great too, were there any construction issues? I would worry about getting a hydrocarbon powered Jag, let alone an EV. Agreed that the 19s look pretty lame.

I'd still go for the 19s though. It didn't use too much energy, the handling was nice enough and having a smooth enough ride is pretty important to me. I hate it when comfort is compromised for looks. I don't wear high heels either!

The only tech issue I could see was an airbag light. I went into the menus thinking someone had had a child seat in the front and deactivated the airbag, but the option to activate it was greyed out. The whole user interface experience isn't very good. Lots of unintuituve digging through menus, but you get used to everything.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, the boat is electric? Thats awesome! Do you have any details?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Today I drove this:

19" rims don't look the coolest, but the ride was good.

You know what though? I kinda really really like the 19s! I never got the i-pace before, but now I see it with 'workaday' rubber boots instead of fashion bauble rims and rubber band tires, it makes sense to me. It's the like the Toyota Sienna of DINK HENRY, with a trunk full of Costco toilet paper, making a quick stop at the fertility clinic before they head to Mark and Eric's backyard bbq party.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Can you lift it and put mud tires on it? Asking for a friend. :thunk:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ola posted:

To take a trip on this:

Where is this at?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The boat is flying the Norwegian flag.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was gonna go sail the Fjords this year :(

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gamesguy posted:

Are you doing the commute every day? That's going to eat up your lease miles real quick. Even once a week is a lot.

Carlsbad dealers are notoriously bad. I'd start with a volume dealer in LA, or hire a broker. A quick search show should be able to get a $45k niro for around $400/month 0 down just taxes and fees drive off.

I’ll be in LA from Tuesday thru Thursday. I did this same thing in 2018-2020, but I did it with Amtrak and Metro with my folding bike.

I was unemployed for 3 weeks and I managed to get this job. At my age I’d never thought I’d have an executive role in the game industry again. Lots of lucky circumstances

Well Amtrak is out of the question they cut down the schedule and my wide say NO WAY with the pandemic.

Lodging is a perk. Office garage has chargers I think.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

So.... you would be pining for the fjords?

I'll see myself out

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Wait, the boat is electric? Thats awesome! Do you have any details?

Details here: https://www.braa.no/news/future-of-the-fjords

You can see the charging cables in one of my pics.

ilkhan posted:

Where is this at?

Flåm, western Norway.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That's a big ol battery pack. I'm somewhat curious about the 2 hour run time and wonder if thats battery limitations or if they built it to a certain spec for that application. Overall its cool as heck and I absolutely love to see fully electric boats becoming ~A THING~. Thank you for sharing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

That's a big ol battery pack. I'm somewhat curious about the 2 hour run time and wonder if thats battery limitations or if they built it to a certain spec for that application. Overall its cool as heck and I absolutely love to see fully electric boats becoming ~A THING~. Thank you for sharing.

They built it for this application. It seems like they got it right since it can do four 2-hour cruises a day with 30-60 minutes docked. Slightly longer time than would be possible with a diesel boat, but perfectly common for pure tourist schedules. There was a hybrid version first, they probably built on the lessons learned from that. They also have a Power Dock, a battery pack in the dock which allows for fast charging without overloading the local grid.

By the way, at household rates you'd need to sell about 4 ticket to pay for the full 1800 kWh charge. There were 40-50 people aboard, in perhaps their slowest season ever. It takes 400. They probably get better rates as well, and with the topography of the area being what it is,it's brimming with hydro power. I bet it takes some time to pay off the pack and the carbon fiber hull though...

I took some videos but they don't really convey the experience. It's hard to film quietness. The official film will have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxvD0fNR_4

Hard to capture how steep, rugged and beautiful the scenery is as well. Someone who captures is better and really gorges themselves on the scenery are speed flying paragliders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnNoGSlw_Y

This waterfall overlooks one of the ports.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ola posted:

Hard to capture how steep, rugged and beautiful the scenery is as well. Someone who captures is better and really gorges themselves on the scenery are speed flying paragliders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnNoGSlw_Y

This video stresses me out

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

I was supposed to be in Northern Norway right now :(

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

This video stresses me out
It looks a lot more nauseating than it is, because GoPro camera has a stupidly wide lens, meant for close shots.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Have you driven a fjord....lately?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Pretty good initial reviews of the Polestar 2 so far. The basic summary is that it's competitive with the Model 3 but better interior/build quality.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Doug reviewed the Fisker Karma a while ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfg4ZG1dZW4

Crazy to know it was between this and the Model S to see which would be the successful EV breakout.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FilthyImp posted:

Doug reviewed the Fisker Karma a while ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfg4ZG1dZW4

Crazy to know it was between this and the Model S to see which would be the successful EV breakout.

In retrospect, the Model S winning is fairly obvious. More room, more cargo, more acceleration, and it is a straight up BEV. I think that car looks great on the outside, definitely would turn heads though I'm maybe not as big of a fan of the split front grill. It beats the Model S styling, the earlier S front was kind of ugly IMO (the updated styling looks much better to me).

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yuns posted:

Pretty good initial reviews of the Polestar 2 so far. The basic summary is that it's competitive with the Model 3 but better interior/build quality.

A shame it's so expensive. :( I really love the interior and design.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The fully specced Polestar 2 is competitive with the Model 3 AWD in price in the UK. The trade war between USA and China must have something to do with Polestar's high cost due to them being built out east.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Afaik it absolutely is. They said the tariffs would be baked into the price. The Model 3 LR AWD is 12k USD cheaper without incentives, 4.5k cheaper with. That's assuming you can comfortably drop the extra $7,500 until tax season, and have $7,500 of liability to begin with (though if you're buying a 59k car, you probably do).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Will they have them at Volvo dealers?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Charles posted:

Will they have them at Volvo dealers?
No only at Polestar dealers which is annoying. There are only a handful of authorized Polestar dealers so far. There are literally only 4:
Polestar Manhattan
Polestar Los Angeles
Polestar San Jose
Polestar Marin
This seems stupid as hell.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yuns posted:

No only at Polestar dealers which is annoying. There are only a handful of authorized Polestar dealers so far. There are literally only 4:
Polestar Manhattan
Polestar Los Angeles
Polestar San Jose
Polestar Marin

At what point do you step back and look at your country as a whole, and realize that outside of 3-4 metropolitan areas, the rest of it is pretty much an afterthought at best, in the eyes of basically everyone who doesn't live there?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yuns posted:

Polestar Manhattan
Polestar Los Angeles
Polestar San Jose
Polestar Marin

Oh sucks. I was thinking a family member might like it. For myself I see the Kia Soul EV prices are down a bit, but they are Chademo for DC charging and only 7.2kW for AC charging. How is the Chademo experience? I see a lot of stations still, but it seems like CCS is the future.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

They claim that they are going to open dealerships in Boston, Denver, Texas, Washington, D.C. and Florida and that they'll also have "Polestar Spaces" which are like those Tesla non-dealer show rooms. Polestar says you will be able to order them and get them delivered in all 50 states. But where are you going to get it serviced? This is like combining the worst of the franchise model with the worst of the Tesla direct sales model. I'm sure Volvo dealers appreciate getting hosed and that mega-dealers with no Volvo franchise or Volvo loyalty like Manhattan Motocars and Gaplin in LA are getting Polestar franchises.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The XC40 Recharge is going to sell many multiples more than the Polestar 2 and that’s Volvo badged so I don’t imagine it will end up making too much difference in the long run to Volvo dealers. I don’t think the Polestar 2 is meant to be a volume model.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yuns posted:

Polestar says you will be able to order them and get them delivered in all 50 states. But where are you going to get it serviced?

Any dealership certified to fix Volvos, when I talked to their staff on a tour event.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Taycan 4S range test with 19" wheels. Consumption is pretty drat close to a Model S when you don't have deep dish showoff rims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB24iJbusgQ

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Finger Prince posted:

At what point do you step back and look at your country as a whole, and realize that outside of 3-4 metropolitan areas, the rest of it is pretty much an afterthought at best, in the eyes of basically everyone who doesn't live there?

It's like that in the US, too. You can tell with pretty decent accuracy whether someone lives on a coast or not by their opinion on the electoral college. Note: I am not making a statement on the EC itself so please don't derail there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Finger Prince posted:

polestar is gonna live or die based on its ability to sell EVs in population dense coastal areas, so it makes sense to concentrate efforts there

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just discovered the A7 PHEV which looks pretty awesome and would come in a bit cheaper than an e-tron 55 for me. Not sure if a PHEV is the best of both worlds or the worst. Really suspecting I just need to wait to mid 2021 for the GT and get the car I actually want. The A7 looks pretty nice though http://www.audi.ch/ANUNB7FV

It was much easier deciding what car to get when I could only afford a Corolla.

I am basically restricted to Audi or BMW because of the insane corporate discount, the BMW choices look way less good at the moment. iX3 just looks really gawky.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
I still love the look and feel of the Polestar 2, but ended up asking for my deposit back instead of placing an order. The lease offers aren’t attractive enough at over $900 a month optioned out, and I just can’t see the car holding enough value for financing to make sense, even at 0% for 60 months. Having to pick it up in Marin County after paying a $1200 destination fee, then driving back to Seattle using EA chargers (at 4x the cost of the supercharger network) didn’t make the idea any more appealing.

Hopefully the distribution and will improve by the time they’re ready to make a production Precept. Otherwise I think I’ll be happier waiting until the Q4 e-tron or the BEV Macan.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

knox_harrington posted:

I just discovered the A7 PHEV which looks pretty awesome and would come in a bit cheaper than an e-tron 55 for me. Not sure if a PHEV is the best of both worlds or the worst. Really suspecting I just need to wait to mid 2021 for the GT and get the car I actually want. The A7 looks pretty nice though http://www.audi.ch/ANUNB7FV

I am basically restricted to Audi or BMW because of the insane corporate discount, the BMW choices look way less good at the moment. iX3 just looks really gawky.

Driving dynamics of an etron are completely on another planet from any ICE or PHEV.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I live in Marin, available to concierge a Polestar to your rear end in BFE for a nominal fee.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

knox_harrington posted:

What about the i4? Coming in 2021 possibly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

elbkaida posted:

What about the i4? Coming in 2021 possibly

Thanks for the heads up. That does look pretty nice, and a lot cheaper than the prices rumored for an e-tron GT.

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/i4