Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm still on my "I refuse to buy Ryzen until they have a unified L3 cache" for reasons that are bullshit. Logically, I know it doesn't mean crap in day-to-day use, I've been running a 1600 (non-AF) for the past..... three months now? And I can't tell where it would actually make a difference, now that we're several years past the teething issues being ironed out, it's purely brainworm poo poo. Probably just using it as an excuse to wait for the launch of a new socket that will bring DDR5 with it.

As CPU-related brain worms with no actual link to performance evidence go, this one seems pretty minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A friend of mine has sworn off AMD CPUs because he had to remove his R5 3600 a few times, and each time whenever he tried to take off the heatsink, the CPU was ripped out of the socket, still stuck to the heatsink. Lmao, I felt so bad for him. One time he had to fix some bent pins on the CPU. The CPU is fine and works, but I'm like 90% sure he hosed up the socket on the B450 board he was for the new build during one of the ripped out incidents, and he ended up having to go back to his old B350 board.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Home boy gotta figure out that wrist action. Just give it a Rold Gold® Original Tiny Twist.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teagone posted:

A friend of mine has sworn off AMD CPUs because he had to remove his R5 3600 a few times, and each time whenever he tried to take off the heatsink, the CPU was ripped out of the socket, still stuck to the heatsink. Lmao, I felt so bad for him. One time he had to fix some bent pins on the CPU. The CPU is fine and works, but I'm like 90% sure he hosed up the socket on the B450 board he was for the new build during one of the ripped out incidents, and he ended up having to go back to his old B350 board.

Hell, I've always been pleasantly surprised over the years when removing the heatsink DIDN'T pull the processor off with it - I'm pretty sure I recall it happening on Intel CPUs back when they had pins, too. Out of all the times it happened over the years I don't remember it causing actual damage, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When I could foresee that happening to me I unplugged the CPU fan, turned on the computer, and let it sit at the BIOS until it got hot, before trying to pull it off

And yeah, you want to twist laterally to break the seal with the thermal paste, but you also need it to get warm so the paste is pliable

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You need to rotate the cooler off, not rip it out straight. Also, why do you need to remove the cooler that often anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I've removed my Ryzen chip a few times no problem with the twisty motion, and told my friend to do the same. He just couldn't finesse it enough I guess, lol. I even had him warm up the CPU first to try and loosen the thermal adhesive by playing some games for a bit before he had to remove it one time, but he still ended up ripping the CPU out of the socket.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

teagone posted:

Yeah, I've removed my Ryzen chip a few times no problem with the twisty motion, and told my friend to do the same. He just couldn't finesse it enough I guess, lol. I even had him warm up the CPU first to try and loosen the thermal adhesive by playing some games for a bit before he had to remove it one time, but he still ended up ripping the CPU out of the socket.

Is he putting on like an entire tube of arctic silver? God drat is that poo poo sticky.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pixaal posted:

Is he putting on like an entire tube of arctic silver? God drat is that poo poo sticky.

Both times he ripped out the CPU was with pre-applied thermal paste: 1st time with with he stock heatsink that came with the 3600, and second time was with a Wraith Max cooler.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still want to know why he's replacing his cooler this often.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I recall mine being pretty hard to pull off, but no accidents happened. I don't think I twisted it, but people who break it probably jerk it instead of pulling up a little and letting the paste slowly come off.

Or they used some serious super glue paste. Maybe it's a good thing I bought Noctua's own stuff for my cooler.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I don't know if I was supposed to undo the socket latch before taking the heatsink off but I have no idea how I was supposed to reach the latch under the fins if that was the case.

Yeah twist the HSF a bit before you try pulling next time. It doesn't take much at all.

You can also slide the HSF to the side off of the IHS but that tends to be messier and/or more difficult to do if your case has tight clearences or if you don't pull the RAM 1st.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

I still want to know why he's replacing his cooler this often.

First time he pulled out the CPU was because he hosed up the stock HSF install; no bent pins though, and he was able to put CPU back in the B450 board no problem, attached stock cooler; the PC was running fine. The temps were a bit warmer than he'd like, so he got a Wraith Max on the cheap.

Second time he ripped out the CPU was when he removed the stock cooler because he was going to replace it with a Wraith Max cooler; bent pins this time, he bent them back, installed the CPU and Wraith Max on the B450 board.

Third time it happened was when he had to remove the Wraith Max because the B450 board wouldn't post, which I diagnosed was the result of either the pins bent back into place on the CPU, or possible socket damage during the second pull, lmao.

Fourth time was when he had to remove his old Ryzen 5 1600 from his B350 board so that he could use that board for his 3600 (he ripped the 1600 out of the socket of the B350 board).

Right now the 3600 is running fine in the B350 board, but he's having some other weird interaction/issue with the 1660 Super and his specific B350 board; long story short, he came across a "solution" to fix said issue by setting the power profile in Windows to High Performance in order to keep things stable... but that means his CPU idles at like 3+ GHz and 50C. Lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 14, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Both times he ripped out the CPU was with pre-applied thermal paste: 1st time with with he stock heatsink that came with the 3600, and second time was with a Wraith Max cooler.

Oh yeah, the stuff on stock sinks that come with the CPU can be really sticky. It's not even a normal paste like AS or whatnot, it's different stuff that is gummy like old chewing gum until the CPU heats it up enough to flow out. They use that type because it lasts near-forever without drying out like paste. And most people don't need to remove coolers pretty much ever, even if they built the PC themselves.

For someone who is likely to ticker with their PC and change things out, I'd actually recommend scraping off the pre-applied paste from stock AMD & Intel coolers and use a standard paste.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would think that using those graphite thermal pads would also neatly avoid this issue, yes?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It got better for me when I stopped using an excessive amount of paste, although that didn't help when I was working on other people's machines.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
It doesn't help that AMD's retaining bracket is pretty weak compared to Intel. I had it happen to me once too, I think on my 2700X. CPU's being stuck to the cooler doesn't seem to be nearly as much as an issue on the Intel side.

Gotta make sure to run some prime95 on the CPU before you plan to remove the cooler to loosen the paste up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would think that using those graphite thermal pads would also neatly avoid this issue, yes?

Yes but the good graphite pads are kinda expensive (and still don't have infinite re-usability), and the cheap ones are pretty crap compared to paste.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It doesn't help that AMD's retaining bracket is pretty weak compared to Intel. I had it happen to me once too, I think on my 2700X. CPU's being stuck to the cooler doesn't seem to be nearly as much as an issue on the Intel side.

AMD doesn't have a retaining bracket for the CPU (on AM4 at least). Intel this never happens because ever since they moved to the LGA socket style they have the metal retaining cover that holds the CPU in. That isn't gonna get ripped off by a heatsink unless you didn't secure the clip properly at install, or mixed up the superglue and arctic silver tubes.

AMD hasn't gone there because LGA sockets are quite expensive and that gives them a cost advantage. (Intel went there because the cost is borne by the mobo makers, not Intel.)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
all wrong. first, take your computer on the roof and tie a rock to your heatsink. then...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Klyith posted:

Yes but the good graphite pads are kinda expensive (and still don't have infinite re-usability), and the cheap ones are pretty crap compared to paste.

AMD doesn't have a retaining bracket for the CPU (on AM4 at least). Intel this never happens because ever since they moved to the LGA socket style they have the metal retaining cover that holds the CPU in. That isn't gonna get ripped off by a heatsink unless you didn't secure the clip properly at install, or mixed up the superglue and arctic silver tubes.

AMD hasn't gone there because LGA sockets are quite expensive and that gives them a cost advantage. (Intel went there because the cost is borne by the mobo makers, not Intel.)

there's no reason you couldn't have a safety bracket that goes over some wings on the IHS and pushes it down into the socket a little bit. It doesn't need to apply real pressure, because it's not trying to tension the pins to some specific force +/- 5%, it just needs to keep it from getting ripped out of the socket. like, even if it had 1/8th of an inch of give it could keep the thing from being ripped out of the socket, the tolerances here could be really wide.

it's been a perennial complaint literally since PGA sockets have been a thing, like I remember hearing about this with AM2 and AM3 certainly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 14, 2020

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AARP LARPer posted:

all wrong. first, take your computer on the roof and tie a rock to your heatsink. then...

tying a string around the heatsink and a doorknob and slamming the door

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just twist the dang HSF geez.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
you kids and your zif sockets back in my day we'd tap our cpu in with a rubber mallet

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you let the cpu and heatsink get warm it helps too

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you kids and your zif sockets back in my day we'd tap our cpu in with a rubber mallet

love to install my DIP IC with unbelievably fragile legs in a lovely plastic socket that requires a ridiculous amount of pressure to get in. thats good, to me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
in my day we ran diagnostics and then swapped the broken SMS card out, and we liked it, uphill both ways

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

there's no reason you couldn't have a safety bracket that goes over some wings on the IHS and pushes it down into the socket a little bit. It doesn't need to apply real pressure, because it's not trying to tension the pins to some specific force +/- 5%, it just needs to keep it from getting ripped out of the socket. like, even if it had 1/8th of an inch of give it could keep the thing from being ripped out of the socket, the tolerances here could be really wide.

it's been a perennial complaint literally since PGA sockets have been a thing, like I remember hearing about this with AM2 and AM3 certainly.

It definitely happened on socket 754 and 939, and I'm pretty sure on whatever Intel sockets the pinned Pentium 4s had. I did computer service in 2008 to 2009 and did a lot of CPU-swapping, replacing heatsinks, and stuff like that, so had a lot of CPUs yanked out over that time. It does seem like it wouldn't be that hard to have a retaining mechanism to prevent it, but it also seems unlikely to happen.

The Intel LGA bracket thing was okay, but I also saw those get hosed up and once the bracket is twisted and bent you're pretty likely hosed.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DOOMocrat posted:

The Gamer's Nexus "Ryzen isn't smoother" video sure does have the AMD subreddit in a tizzy.

oh my god lmao

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
:goonsay:

It only needs a dash of Goodwin in there to fill my internet discussion bingo card.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The danger of allowing brain worms to overfeed: they can throw up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cygni posted:

love to install my DIP IC with unbelievably fragile legs in a lovely plastic socket that requires a ridiculous amount of pressure to get in. thats good, to me.

I remember the DIP 68k on the Amiga 500 would sometimes walk out of the socket and giving the top of a case a good solid thump would often reseat it :haw:

Same with the Fat Angus PLCC which would also pop out from heat related issues.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just switched from Intel to AMD.

My attempt at delidding and OC'ing a 7700K apparently failed and kept resulting in random BSOD. I left the PC to collect dust for a few years before finally deciding to fix it. I bought an R5 3600X and feel happy with it. I put the perfect thin smear of thermal grease on it, smoothed with a razer blade, and it's running fine with the stock cooler until the replacement bracket for my Hydro H60 comes in, because I threw out the AM4 one that came in the box, thinking I'd never switch back.

My last AMD CPU was an Athlon 2600+, at which time I was insanely jealous of my friend who had a 3000+. Back then I could only afford a Radeon 9600 and felt envious of everyone who had the 9700 Pro. That was when Far Cry had first come out and it was pretty mind blowing.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

eggyolk posted:

Just switched from Intel to AMD.

My attempt at delidding and OC'ing a 7700K apparently failed and kept resulting in random BSOD. I left the PC to collect dust for a few years before finally deciding to fix it. I bought an R5 3600X and feel happy with it. I put the perfect thin smear of thermal grease on it, smoothed with a razer blade, and it's running fine with the stock cooler until the replacement bracket for my Hydro H60 comes in, because I threw out the AM4 one that came in the box, thinking I'd never switch back.

My last AMD CPU was an Athlon 2600+, at which time I was insanely jealous of my friend who had a 3000+. Back then I could only afford a Radeon 9600 and felt envious of everyone who had the 9700 Pro. That was when Far Cry had first come out and it was pretty mind blowing.

I delidded a 3770k using the razor blade method, was like an hours worth of effort and terror, but I succeeded and replaced the cheap TIM with something better and got a ~5C reduction. When it came time to do my 7700k, I just bought a tool for it. $30 tool was worth it in time and terror savings and also how it doubled as a clamp to hold the heat spreader in the correct position/orientation when I glued it back on with rtv gasket maker after applying liquid metal which yielded a 20C reduction in load temps. The although only "overclocking" I did was setting its all core turbo to 4.5 GHz with an unlimited duration.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So I just built my wife a super budget machine.

Athlon 3000g
Asus B450M-A/CSM
16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengence 3000mhz
430W Corsair

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Anyways the question is why I can't set the ram to COPD speeds without crashing? Its giving it 1.35v on the DRAM. Straight up Youtube crashed it. And sometimes it wouldn't even POST past BIOS. I think I had to manually set it to 2933mhz to get into Windows.

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 16, 2020

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

E2M2 posted:

Athlon 3000g
Asus B450M-A/CSM
430W Corsair

Anyways the question is why I can't set the ram to COPD speeds without crashing? Its giving it 1.35v on the DRAM. Straight up Youtube crashed it. And sometimes it wouldn't even POST past BIOS.

Make sure the RAM is in the "good" slots on your board, usually these are A2 and B2. Most AMD motherboards are daisy-chain with 2 RAM slots with good traces to the memory and 2 RAM slots with poor traces. Old Zen/Zen+ CPU's like yours also have garbage memory controllers so they really need the RAM to be on the good slots to post past JEDEC 2400 levels of speed. It's theoretically possible you ended up with an APU bad enough that it can't do DDR4-3000, but with modern BIOS updates it should work.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A lot of times people populate the close slots thinking they're better, but that's actually backward. Since the traces for slot 1/3 and 2/4 are shared, if 1/2 are the closer slots and you populate them, the signals can basically echo off the dead ends in slots 3/4 and cause signal issues. When you populate slots 3/4, the tiny stubs that make up slots 1/2 don't cause nearly the same issues.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god lmao

I feel like I’m reading a post from an audiophile forum...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Athlon 3000g
Asus B450M-A/CSM
430W Corsair

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Anyways the question is why I can't set the ram to COPD speeds without crashing? Its giving it 1.35v on the DRAM. Straight up Youtube crashed it. And sometimes it wouldn't even POST past BIOS. I think I had to manually set it to 2933mhz to get into Windows.

100% likely because the version of the RAM you have isn't on your motherboard's QVL (quality vendor list). The Vengeance LPX RAM part number is probably listed on your motherboard QVL, but because of Corsair's super lovely inventory practices, you likely got a batch of LPX RAM from a revision that wasn't tested/isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard DESPITE having the same QVL part number. I've run into the same problem with Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, twice. My Plex server only supports Vengeance LPX ver 4.31 DDR4-3200, but when I ordered the same part number online to add another 16GB, I received ver 4.36 or something, and I can barely run the RAM at 2933 MHz.