Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
reinstall also fixed for me.

now I don't have to explain to my date why I brought a laptop to dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I mean, what’s gonna connect to the printer you brought?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Snowy posted:

If I bookmark every thread what’ll happen

inexplicably the forums will handle it just fine, but then crash completely when you go to remove one

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

new update didn't fix the problem for me on current iOS

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

sellouts posted:

new update didn't fix the problem for me on current iOS

The update didn't fix it for me, but deleting and reinstalling the app seems to have worked. Thank god, I had to use reddit while I was at work today like some kind of plebeian.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you have favorited subforums, it will mess up unless you can clear it out, via un/reinstall. (Is there another way to clear data on iOS?)

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ditto on reinstall fixing it this time. Thank you for the quick update.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I've added a fix for the data store and am sending that off to the App Store as I post. Might be too little too late for anyone who sees this, but it'll make me feel better. On first launch after upgrading, it'll sort itself out without needing to reinstall.

The problem happens on the Forums tab, so in the meantime, if you can open Awful to some other tab, then you might have more success? Try via URL, e.g. awful://bookmarks.

Grace Baiting posted:

So my suggestion is to move the "Ignore User" button to the bottom of a user's profile sheet, same as it is on the forums proper! That's more out of the way and less prone to accidentally selecting it. Also a "Pay Attention To User Again" button there as well would be great.

Makes sense to me!

`Nemesis posted:

I also have one... I delete them when I’m done with them? Is that weird?

I think I have two, from when I added some bookmarks to get me into a second page for Awful development purposes.

Charles posted:

If you have favorited subforums, it will mess up unless you can clear it out, via un/reinstall. (Is there another way to clear data on iOS?)

I don't think there's another way to clear it out. Though I don't think favourite forums directly causes the issue; just attempting to show a buggered forum in the Forums list will cause the death spiral.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Edit - Never mind, a reinstall fixed it.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 14, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

installed the update but still had to delete / reinstall on my iphone excess

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah also had to reinstall to get it working. Even after update I’d just have a blank blue title bar over an empty screen, totally unresponsive. Seems good now tho!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pokeyman posted:

I don't think there's another way to clear it out. Though I don't think favourite forums directly causes the issue; just attempting to show a buggered forum in the Forums list will cause the death spiral.

Ah it was working until I tried to click on a buggered up favorite. :shrug: Oh well!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Glimpse posted:

Yeah also had to reinstall to get it working. Even after update I’d just have a blank blue title bar over an empty screen, totally unresponsive. Seems good now tho!

Amazing how far we come and flatten-reinstall is still the answer

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If only we had Android phones! You don't have to uninstall to clear all settings 😂

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Charles posted:

Ah it was working until I tried to click on a buggered up favorite. :shrug: Oh well!

I think that's because tapping the favorite forum asks for the first page of threads, and it's when scraping forumdisplay.php that Awful shits itself.

Asked for an expedited review too. Feels a bit silly in the age of 12 hour review times, but permacrash death spiral seems like a good reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I hope the new new update works cause I’m too lazy to reinstall because settings don’t persist 😭

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
new app is working noicely again but i can't post new threads ? preview button is greyed out, all forums.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thank you for fixing this!!!!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Everything is back to norbal.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Charles posted:

If only we had Android phones! You don't have to uninstall to clear all settings 😂

lol

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Anyone having trouble downloading on iPad? When I try and click the download button it spins for a few seconds and then does nothing. It’s an older iPad so it’s not the newest version of iOS anymore (I think 12). Is it just not compatible anymore?

Edit: wait nevermind. It worked finally. This iPad is just old and lovely I think.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Appreciate it! It's a team effort and I wouldn't know how to split up donations, but I'm sure your local food bank or similar could use a few bucks :)
This is cool and good. Thanks for everyone’s hard work keeping this awful app chugging along.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Charles posted:

Yeah, but then I'd have an Android phone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

New and improved fixed version 4.9 just got approved, should become available shortly!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Update available now in AU App Store (not sure if it makes a difference) and posting from it.

Thank you for the quick work sorting out the issue :thanks:

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
New version downloaded and fixed it. Thank you. Appreciate it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hello and thank you for restoring my access to this Awful app.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

After a mild breakdown and some reddit browsing a delete and reinstall has restored my sanity.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I just double-checked, and I'm not restricting old versions from download on my side. Does Awful appear in the App Store in your list of purchases?

Sure enough the app was in the purchased list and reinstalled fine from there. Had no idea that screen even existed. Working great now, thank you for the help

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for quickly fixing the app, greatly appreciated.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

My iPad says it can’t install the newest version of the app, even though it took the busted one just fine- is there a backwards compatibility issue?

It iPad is stuck on iOS 10.3 or something

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mae posted:

My iPad says it can’t install the newest version of the app, even though it took the busted one just fine- is there a backwards compatibility issue?

Unfortunately Awful requires iOS 12, so you're probably stuck with the busted. Sorry!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
4.9 fixes the issue without having to uninstall the app.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Erm. How can I fix this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Erm. How can I fix this?

Post less about drinking maybe?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mae posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, I think I'll just stick to my bookmarks on the iPad. I rarely ever check for new threads anyway.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Erm. How can I fix this?

lol I've had doubled up smilies for like a year maybe but that's something special

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MarcusSA posted:

Post less about drinking maybe?

As I scroll down further, I get higher numbers of them. :ohdear:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

As I scroll down further, I get higher numbers of them. :ohdear:

what's wrong with this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty good posted:

lol I've had doubled up smilies for like a year maybe but that's something special

I get doubles and triples all the time but that's impressive.