Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
get the type of clipper that holds the clippings or cut them while your nails are still wet from a shower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I do it outside and just let it rip wherever :madmax:

e: need to read new page before replying, hey outside nail clipping buddy

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I feel like there’s only one wrong answer, and that’s to clip them in bed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a trick for cutting finger/toe nails that won't send them flying everywhere?

Where do you clip your nails? My wife does it over the toilet, I do it in the sink, who is right here.

Lol if you need to clip your toenails. I just let those fuckers grow and climb trees with my bare toes digging into the bark like “nananana” and they wear out naturally.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

StrixNebulosa posted:

To confirm I'm at the right channels: Bloodbath and Beyond and... Dead Head Reviews? Dead Head seems to be a mostly empty channel.

Dead Head is just starting to do videos, but they have a lot of good text reviews on their blog: https://www.deadheadreviews.com/reviews-and-articles. I should have been clearer about that, sorry!

on fingernail clipping

edit to add: best fingernail clipper that catches the clippings imo is the Tweezerman https://www.tweezerman.com/precision-grip-fingernail-clipper.html

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 15, 2020

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

regulargonzalez posted:

Is it accountant or bust? I think you can get a job coding if you're willing to work, intensely and seriously, at learning it for 6 months or so.

It really isn't accountant-or-bust. It's just that I believe I have a knack for that kind of work and I am alright with monotonous repetition. Mathematical kind of binary environments are where I'm most comfortable. But I would rather code. I have slightly more experience in accounting, but not enough for it to make for a foundation on what I want to build the rest of my life on.

Do you suppose I could ask you a couple specific questions? I would PM you but I don't have um... SA:Pro or whatever it's called. I'm not a platinum card carrier. My e-mail is calvinredburn@gmail.com

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
don't become a programmer.

get a real job like accountancy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a trick for cutting finger/toe nails that won't send them flying everywhere?

Where do you clip your nails? My wife does it over the toilet, I do it in the sink, who is right here.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hey if you do decide to go the programming route please understand the environment before you go in. You need to either find a niche, race toward management, or (in certain cases) get into a policy/consultant position. Programming as a job has an expiration date.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I file my nails. I prefer this as I don't end up with razor sharp nails that way

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
on clipping nails: clip half the nail or all but a little bit of the nail, then do the rest. The nails go flying because of their springiness/size/weight, but if the final but is small and doesn’t really bend the nail, they don’t fly far.. i cut my nails in bed.

A question, in elementary school one of my teachers said that most of the common worm species in North America weren’t here before European settlement. I mentioned this at work, and a bunch of really educated guys had never heard of it, and didn’t know if it was true. Is it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your teacher was right. It’s more about there being any earthworms than the specific species, though.

I hate to just link to Wikipedia for an answer, but whoever researched the article has read more about it than I have.

The short of it is that the underside of a glacier is not a liveable habitat for earthworms. The glaciers retreated after the last ice age much faster than earthworms can move through soil.

European settlers incidentally seeded earthworms in many places in North America when they brought live plants over, and they’ve been spreading from there ever since, and also via continued human activity. Worms in places where there were none have knock‐on effects all throughout the ecosystem.

This page from Minnesota’s Department of Natural Resources has information about worms’ impact there and tells us that earthworms move less than a hundred kilometres in a millennium.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 15, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can someone tl;dr me what the gently caress happened with university admissions in England today?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In the song I Want Your Love there's a line that goes "I don't want your books on Marilyn or Bobby D". Who are Marilyn and Bobby D and why would books on them be of particular worth?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Can someone tl;dr me what the gently caress happened with university admissions in England today?
The Department of Education used an ~algorithm~ to “predict” how students would perform in the A‐level exams used for university admissions, in lieu of actually carrying out the exams, untenable due to the pandemic.

There are several lovely things about this “solution”. If a student let their marks slip in the first part of the year but put their nose to the grindstone for their final exams, in a normal year, they might score well. This year, they are denied that opportunity.

That’s not what’s making waves, though.

The shittiest thing is that the algorithm weights student performance by their school’s historical performance. You went to an underfunded school and worked hard to do as well as possible? Too bad. The algorithm says your school is a school of nitwits, and your good record is dragged down to something more in line with what society expects from your school’s graduates.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 15, 2020

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Platystemon posted:

<Kids being screwed over>

In addition to this, it looks like (but isn't offically confirmed) that due to the ranking used, each school had a maximum number of each grade that could be awarded and a maximum across groups of grades as well.

So worked to arse off to get the top A grade and just made? Well other higher scoring kids might already have used up the A grade quota, so down to a B to you go. But they're also already used up their total A+B quota on all the A grades, so you get C. Sorry.

Also, this ranking and limit wasn't used on places with small class sizes. Which in England are pretty much exclusively fee-paying private education places.

EDIT: The same thing happend in Scotland a few weeks ago (different timing for school year/exams/results than England, etc) and kids from poorer areas also saw their grades reduced by a larger amount. There was a backlash and it was all overturned. It is very unlikely the same thing will happen in England

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 15, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Related question.... why didn't they just drop the requirement of A levels at all? In the US schools get to control the weight of GPA, standardized tests, extra curricular activities, perceived character, legacy status, past employment, race, etc... Why not just remove the A levels weight?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm nursing a hangover watching Lord of the Rings again. In the fight at the end of Fellowship when the uruk hai are chasing Merry and Pippin, the hobbits are like tossing rocks at these giant bad guys and they're going down like they got hit with wrecking balls. Why? It seems so stupid and out of place.

I know, whatever, it's a dumb movie but I know there are a lot of book reasons for things and I can't imagine Peter Jackson thinking a bodybuilder getting knocked off his feet like that looks good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

UltraRed posted:

Related question.... why didn't they just drop the requirement of A levels at all? In the US schools get to control the weight of GPA, standardized tests, extra curricular activities, perceived character, legacy status, past employment, race, etc... Why not just remove the A levels weight?

That's very likely what they'll end up doing (at least I hope), but they didn't do that at first because people are way too optimistic about the use of machine learning in real life scenarios. Expect to see a lot more incidents like this in the next few years.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

a little pop book about how models / machine learning can mess up our lives is weapons of math (ugh) destruction: https://weaponsofmathdestructionbook.com/

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

UltraRed posted:

The only reason the US has that system is so that they can easily exclude undesirables without it being obvious that's what they're doing (see here or here for a couple of quickly-googled sources). It's a very poo poo system that other countries do not use, most (maybe all??) comparable countries still have entirely academic-score-based admission. I mean relying on standardised testing has its downsides but it's better than what the US does. I'm not sure what the best solution is in this case although clearly it's not what they've done.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm interested in Body Ergonomics. I remember hearing about a theorist from probably 20th century that had rules for ways the body is to be positioned? I remember one, never crossing the ankles. I can't remember his name or find any leads towards what the method is called or anything. I'm back to sitting on the floor so I want to practice good body positioning. Sitting criss cross style is going to wear my knees out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrafilter posted:

That's very likely what they'll end up doing (at least I hope), but they didn't do that at first because people are way too optimistic about the use of machine learning in real life scenarios. Expect to see a lot more incidents like this in the next few years.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

Machine learning is often a way to launder human prejudice. This is considered by the people making and employing the machine to be a feature, not a bug.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are a fair few of us in the ML community who are interested in making that not happen, but it's a thorny problem. I'm optimistic about long term progress, but I think the short term is mostly going to be raising awareness.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Break it in half and take a picture of the fresh surface. Also find some hydrochloric acid and put s few drops on and tell me if it fizzes or not.

Dont have any acid on hand (we are on an isolated vacation) but i did manage to crack it open. It looks like it’s almost entirely shells and sediment/poop.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Machine learning is often a way to launder human prejudice. This is considered by the people making and employing the machine to be a feature, not a bug.

Don't ascribe to malice what can be etc

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm nursing a hangover watching Lord of the Rings again. In the fight at the end of Fellowship when the uruk hai are chasing Merry and Pippin, the hobbits are like tossing rocks at these giant bad guys and they're going down like they got hit with wrecking balls. Why? It seems so stupid and out of place.

I know, whatever, it's a dumb movie but I know there are a lot of book reasons for things and I can't imagine Peter Jackson thinking a bodybuilder getting knocked off his feet like that looks good.

In the books hobbits are very good at throwing things. They pick up this skill during their long childhood and I think their version of rangers upgrades to slings but I’d have to look at the lore. Bilbo uses this skill to great effect in The Hobbit to save the dwarves in Mirkwood.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

alnilam posted:

Don't ascribe to malice what can be etc

I recommend reading Weapons of Math Destruction and You Look Like a Thing and I Love You which both discuss this well. YLLaTaILY is a nice general overview but does touch on this while WMD is focused a lot on the social justice part.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I can't read

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Are there exotic black holes capable of turning you into an Italian food that isn’t spaghetti ?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

meanolmrcloud posted:

Dont have any acid on hand (we are on an isolated vacation) but i did manage to crack it open. It looks like it’s almost entirely shells and sediment/poop.

That's pretty cool, I'd call it a slightly metamorphosed sandstone conglomerate with shells like that other guy said. It would probably have been formed in the ocean and compressed for a bit before being unearthed by whatever processes and moved really far away by a glacier so it makes sense you might not find something like that in Lake Michigan that often.. If you find yourself a fossil ID chart somewhere you might be able to compare the shells to known ages of origin and come up with a date range for it.

El_Elegante posted:

Are there exotic black holes capable of turning you into an Italian food that isn’t spaghetti ?

Only other kinds of pasta, like tortellini.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Can someone explain the British university admissions system? I'm trying to follow the news around the A-levels this year and I'm hampered by not understanding exactly what they are. I gather that primary education is roughly similar in England and the US, but it looks like there are big differences at the secondary level.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why don't planes go faster? seems like we should be able to go faster than 500/600mph by now, right? haven't we been at that kind of speed for like 70 years now?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

abelwingnut posted:

why don't planes go faster? seems like we should be able to go faster than 500/600mph by now, right? haven't we been at that kind of speed for like 70 years now?

At the high altitudes that planes fly at, they're actually nearing the sound barrier. Beyond the sound barrier you start running into some major diminishing returns in how much fuel it takes to accelerate.

Planes haven't gotten faster because of a physics limitation, not a technology one. The concorde proves that its technically possible, but its not worth the extra price when you can just fly a bit slower.

Also sonic booms were a problem and the concorde was only allowed to fly supersonic over a kind of small segment of the ocean anyway. And even then it screwed up commercial fishing.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

i hear the trick to personal hygiene involves not being a goon, hth

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
big if true

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

In the song I Want Your Love there's a line that goes "I don't want your books on Marilyn or Bobby D". Who are Marilyn and Bobby D and why would books on them be of particular worth?

I'm not sure about Bobby D, who I want to be Robert Kennedy but I can't make it fit. Marilyn, though, is Marilyn Monroe - Transvision Vamp drew a lot of references from 50s popular culture.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Resident Idiot posted:

I'm not sure about Bobby D, who I want to be Robert Kennedy but I can't make it fit. Marilyn, though, is Marilyn Monroe - Transvision Vamp drew a lot of references from 50s popular culture.

Bobby Darin? Lead vocalist and recording artist of that timeless classic we all know and love "Splish Splash I was Taking a Bath." That's a 50s song so adds up.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, maybe, but I don't think he had the same cachet. Jimmy D would have made perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Resident Idiot posted:

Yeah, maybe, but I don't think he had the same cachet. Jimmy D would have made perfect sense.

But the lyrics are Bobby D not Jimmy D or Bobby K. There is a Bobby Day of Rockin Robin fame. I used to watch a lot of Happy Days and they went on and on about Splish Splash, kind of a re-occurring theme regarding Potsy. Anyway that's enough of my defending the honor of Bobby Darin.