Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tunicate posted:

CO2 fear is so fundamentally different from normal fear that people who have the fear regions of their brains excised can still feel it

https://www.nature.com/news/researchers-scare-fearless-patients-1.12350

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The chemoreceptors for that are in your brainstem, aorta, and carotid/jugular arteries, not your lungs. You don’t feel it with inert gas because you’re still blowing off CO2 just fine even if you’re not taking in oxygen. The instant feeling you get when you inhale CO2 from a soda bottle or similar are irritant receptors.
Huh, could've sworn... It came up in a chemistry lecture, so I took that at face value, but I guess the lecturer wasn't exactly a biologist or medical professional. After looking it up a bit, I've been finding some indication that the subject was still being debated as recently as 2006, so I'm going to assume that his information was just outdated. Sorry about that!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

yo can i get my fear regions excised tia

You’ll finally be able to turn off your monitor.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/0cV9GKN.mp4

ok

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I think it's quite possible that the Tsushima devs knew about the goofy ocean situation in photo mode, and decided that it was the least-bad outcome of their possible options, because the way photo mode is supposed to work is:
1. Characters/animals are fully frozen, so you can capture that perfect action moment and there aren't weird gameplay consequences from the player getting shoved around while the game is supposed to be paused
2. Environmental effects and animations continue unhindered, because it looks awesome and you can record gorgeous scenery videos like these https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3e9fqihTv1PWUxqOcVzCCVn_giJ_p3R0

I think it's fair to call it a "glitch" even if it's working as intended and thus not really a bug. It's just that their other options were to pause the ocean which would look worse, or to let the player be affected by certain physics forces in photo mode which would almost certainly lead to other things that would be also called glitches.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Triarii posted:

I think it's quite possible that the Tsushima devs knew about the goofy ocean situation in photo mode, and decided that it was the least-bad outcome of their possible options, because the way photo mode is supposed to work is:
1. Characters/animals are fully frozen, so you can capture that perfect action moment and there aren't weird gameplay consequences from the player getting shoved around while the game is supposed to be paused
2. Environmental effects and animations continue unhindered, because it looks awesome and you can record gorgeous scenery videos like these https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3e9fqihTv1PWUxqOcVzCCVn_giJ_p3R0

I think it's fair to call it a "glitch" even if it's working as intended and thus not really a bug. It's just that their other options were to pause the ocean which would look worse, or to let the player be affected by certain physics forces in photo mode which would almost certainly lead to other things that would be also called glitches.

There's an option in the photo mode tools to pause environment animations. This includes the waves of the ocean. The unintended effect is that the environment animation still affects the character model.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/zup2Q7F.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/SWOmWZM.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/yclEdQH.gifv

moist turtleneck has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Aug 15, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That looks new to me. What's the game?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

That looks new to me. What's the game?

Isn't that Squad?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Kikas posted:

Isn't that Squad?

Not even close lol. It's the current Call of Duty.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Fallout has lied to me. "War never changes" my rear end.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cardiovorax posted:

Fallout has lied to me. "War never changes" my rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs2mu3mB5oM

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't played cod since MW2 but if I can be a double-jointed technoviking in the new one then maybe it's worth a look

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Sininu posted:

Not even close lol. It's the current Call of Duty.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's Skyrim

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Pretty good posted:

I haven't played cod since MW2 but if I can be a double-jointed technoviking in the new one then maybe it's worth a look

At least it is largely free and not as bad pay2win like Planetside.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

dialhforhero posted:

At least it is largely free and not as bad pay2win like Planetside.

Planetside is pay2win? :confused:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you want good gear and guns you either grind unbelievably or you do those micro transactions basically.

At least, that was how it was before. It went beyond cosmetics iirc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm sure this guy never spent a cent.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Aug 15, 2020

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

dialhforhero posted:

If you want good gear and guns you either grind unbelievably or you do those micro transactions basically.

At least, that was how it was before. It went beyond cosmetics iirc.

Last I played, yeah - grind or pay
To be fair, the it was really the vehicles that benefitted most from the big upgrades. Not to excuse it entirely but the regular footy mans can absolutely shred with the basic weapons.
Oh... and the passive perks. Those were atrociously gamble-box-y but I think that's been changed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm sure this guy never spent a cent.

it is entirely possible to play a game for that long without spending money on it and it is also entirely possible to rightly complain about the pay2win aspects of a game even if you're willing to play despite them

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't played since release/the Sony days but I remember it being the least offensive amount of pay to win while still being pay to win. If you were used to following the balance meta for absolute best TTK all the time every single second, they had your number because the balance patches came fast and poorly thought out so you'd have no chance to have banked up enough to buy the latest buffed gun. But you could grind out the simple upgrade/faction specific/best weapon for short and mid range pretty quickly and not be at a total disadvantage to whales buying licenses for the accidental flavor of the week.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

it is entirely possible to play a game for that long without spending money on it and it is also entirely possible to rightly complain about the pay2win aspects of a game even if you're willing to play despite them

Agreed. The conversation just reminded me of that pic.

That is just under 209 full days of playing Planetside 2. There are a lot of marriages with less commitment.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
MAN A TURRET

MANATURRET

man a turret

MANATURRET!

That game broke me :psyduck:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Planetside 2 was also really AGGRESSIVE about it because you had to buy EVERYTHING. Like, every little thingummy and upgrade needed to be bought and even if it was technically the same upgrade it usually couldn't be applied to two similar weapons.

"oh no way you can put this scope on the same two guns!!!!"

And then on top of that if you wanted to try out more than one faction you needed to level/purchase for them separately since the pool of shared technology was so comparatively small.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Antigravitas posted:

MAN A TURRET

MANATURRET

man a turret

MANATURRET!

That game broke me :psyduck:

:allears: memories

YOUR BEST IS MY WORST

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Arma Glitch content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPc7RszIdD4

Arma has some annoying glitches but I love this one.

The "Affirmative…erm…godspeed" from the guy on the ground gets me every time :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So what exactly happened there? The helicopter got hit and was displaying as damaged, but still had control until it didn't?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seems like it? Seems like the game glitched out and couldn't fully decide on whether the heli had been destroyed or not for a few minutes, until it eventually went "actually, you know what, this thing shouldn't by flying" and made it go down.

quote:

"[mumblemumble], none of your rotors are moving."
"I have been assured by the pilot that this is fine."
":confused: Ehm, affirmative. Godspeed."

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It sounds like the pilot (who was seeing a perfectly operational helicopter) transferred control to the other person in the cockpit (who was seeing the blades not moving), at which point the quantum waveform collapsed and the Apache crashed.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's because whoever is driving a vehicle has the vehicle local to their client, i.e. is authoritative. They got hit and on the pilot's side the engine was just degraded, on his copilot's side the failure was critical.

Near the end he pretends to have fallen unconcious, so his copilot takes control of the vehicle. That switched locality over to her, i.e. her client became the owner and applied its state to the vehicle. On her client the engine hat failed and they were really low and in a dive so she couldn't even attempt an autorotation landing.

Dslyecxi has some amazing glitches on his channel, like this one with explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUH1DeIYMMw

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Arma glitches are some of my favorites. Mostly for the juxtaposition, you have Very Serious Military Maneuvers happening, and suddenly a tank is flipping up to treetop height. And after a brief period of staring, everyone just gets on with it and the invisible man in the sky (Literally, the position is named Zeus) spawns a new one.

Or a mod updates and everyone is immortal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-najIt8H2OY

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh yes, tank flipping. Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRZKyPQbTqw

I like the guy going ":hmmyes: the bmp has gone airborne" like he has already accepted flying bmps as a thing that just happens.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

Oh yes, tank flipping. Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRZKyPQbTqw

I like the guy going ":hmmyes: the bmp has gone airborne" like he has already accepted flying bmps as a thing that just happens.

Huh, didn't know BMP crews have parachutes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/olxmFs0.mp4
Here's a minor oopsie from some bad object placement, but the dialogue made me chuckle.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No footage sadly, but I'm playing Hitman 2 and I needed to knock out a guy to take something from him so I follow him to find a good opportunity only he suddenly just walks through a wall and teleports upstairs. I'm surprised enough, but then just keeps on walking until he phases through some more walls until he's walking hundreds of feet above ground and all I can do is look out the window as he gradually disappears into the gloomy night sky.

There are glitches, and then there's Hitman.

E: I shot at him once and he plummeted into the ocean.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Maybe it's not a glitch. Maybe the deer was just very agile.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Simlarly:

Once in Elite Dangerous, I found a cargo canister on top of a light post. Usually they're on the ground and you just need to drive over them to collect them. I had to get a little creative.

Fortunately my moon buggy has jump jets on it, but I got a little stuck myself.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's probably a goat wearing a disguise.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

More Hitman; there's been a bug in the game for months now where NPCs who are poisoned with an emetic (nauseating) poison vastly prefer any other receptacle to puke in than a toilet, which is what they're usually supposed go for if they can. This makes completing drowning challenges extremely difficult, if not impossible in some missions, but while I was looking if they'd fixed it yet, I found someone on reddit who had posted a thread with the title "Local man barfs in baguette basket" which made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bulimic Berk Boots On Baguettes