Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shouting is the right loving thing to do when the things you're arguing about is basic human needs not being met imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

spunkshui posted:

and Trump wins the 2020 election.

edit: that is if we even get to have another election.

The NoJoes on this forum are simultaneously a "very tiny minority" that is "irrelevant" and enough of a coalition to single handedly throw the election to Trump because we voted for Howie. That's pretty ridiculous.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The NoJoes on this forum are simultaneously a "very tiny minority" that is "irrelevant" and enough of a coalition to single handedly throw the election to Trump because we voted for Howie. That's pretty ridiculous.

yeah i was told that they didn't need my vote to win the election so why all the scare tactics and guilt trips? your own candidate told me that if i believed the allegations against him then he doesn't want my vote, so like I'm just doing what your candidate wants me to do? Why can't liberals accept what Joe Biden wants?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

spunkshui posted:

Before I go ahead and spend time on addressing this, I'm going to need to know beforehand as to whether or not you're going to ignore any questions I pose to you.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Jimbozig posted:

Maybe you are just young and ignorant? We've seen this before. The centrists say the right wing are beyond the pale, get elected, and then not only do they not make progress, but they don't even fully roll back the bad changes the right wing government made.

Happens in the US, in Canada, in many other countries.

Which Democrat raised taxes back to pre-Reagan levels? None of them. Biden won't either.

That's what I am saying. Biden won't make it better. Taking 2 steps back and then not taking any steps, and then 2 steps back again, etc. is never going to move you forwards.

The fact that you think it's mind-boggling to say that Biden won't make things better just shows that you either haven't been around to see the obvious pattern or you've just been burying your head in the sand. If you're young, that's fine. We've all been young. We didn't start off this cynical. In 2008 I really thought Obama was going to make things so much better.
Bringing up awful Dem foreign policy is fair game. However I do think people are too dismissive of some the progress in the Obama era though in the interior, and the damage in general Trump has caused (also on the foreign policy side, even if he was slightly less bellicose in his first term). Biden would be still be superior on foreign policy because of Republicans/Trump being even worse. But I understand the general awfulness in that area making someone jaded about voting for the Dems.

CSM fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 15, 2020

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:umberto:

It's ridiculous. If Biden loses this election, it's because he was a poo poo candidate, not because a few hundred Something Awful posters scattered around the country didn't vote for him.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

CSM posted:

Bringing up awful Dem foreign policy is fair game. However I do think people are too dismissive of some the progress in the Obama era though in the interior, and the damage in general Trump has caused (also on the foreign policy side, even if he was slightly less bellicose in his first term). Biden would be still be superior on foreign policy because of Republicans/Trump being even worse. But I understand the general awfulness in that area making someone jaded about voting for the Dems.

Obama empowered every single police department in this country to detain and hand people over to ICE.

And on foreign policy, its malevolence tempered by incompetence versus competent imperialism. It's not at all clear to me that Trump is worse than Biden. I mean, I must assume that Henry Kissinger, Max Boot, David Frum, Bill Kristol, and so on know what they are talking about when they say that they think Biden's foreign policy is more in line with their vision.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Zeroing in on this specifically, I don't want to seem like I'm beating up on you, but this was 100% a manufactured media image of Bernie, not Bernie himself. Turning the conversation back to Biden, he yelled at voters who asked him questions, got pissy with reporters who questioned him, and said that he "has no sympathy for Millennials". Somehow, only Bernie was the one who was sold by the corporate media as "shouty", which still frustrates me a lot (not you for bringing it up so much, but that it was such an enduring stereotype).

Also, unless I'm mistaken, he had the most diverse coalition of any of the centrist empty suits running.

You are in no way beating up on me, and I think you have a very valid point about Bernie. I don't mind being called out and being challenged. Calling it monstrous or I'm terrible because I think we have to Negotiate to get our goals is where I roll my eyes. (You're not doing this, others have, and for good reason. They've gotten screwed over a lot in life, and are rightfully pissed). The thing is though, I don't see a way forward out of any of this peacefully f Biden doesn't get elected. If Trump wins, the only way forward will down the line be actual on the streets violence. I don't want that, but history is clearly repeating itself.

Note to mods, I'm not advocating for violence. I'm just saying historically it seems like we're speed running towards another French Revolution Style event.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

:umberto:

It's ridiculous. If Biden loses this election, it's because he was a poo poo candidate, not because a few hundred Something Awful posters scattered around the country didn't vote for him.

Even if his shambling corpse does win, I have a feeling "toxic Bernie Bros" are going to be a favorite boogeyman for brunching liberal types for years to come as Biden is unable to affect needed change.

LionArcher posted:

You are in no way beating up on me, and I think you have a very valid point about Bernie. I don't mind being called out and being challenged. Calling it monstrous or I'm terrible because I think we have to Negotiate to get our goals is where I roll my eyes. (You're not doing this, others have, and for good reason. They've gotten screwed over a lot in life, and are rightfully pissed). The thing is though, I don't see a way forward out of any of this peacefully f Biden doesn't get elected. If Trump wins, the only way forward will down the line be actual on the streets violence. I don't want that, but history is clearly repeating itself.

Note to mods, I'm not advocating for violence. I'm just saying historically it seems like we're speed running towards another French Revolution Style event.

It does feel that way, and I blame capitalism, at least the turbo capitalism we practice here in the US. We're given the illusion of choice between two parties that don't fundamentally disagree about a lot of things, and they're both (in my opinion) the same face of capital but in different color suits. I'm beginning to wonder if anything short of revolution will actually create a government more responsive to its citizens and their needs (I'm not advocating for violence either).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 15, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think a lot of folks really don't get that many of us don't think Biden's presidency will be better than Trump's. The only thing I really trust Biden to genuinely be better on is that he'll at least acknowledge that COVID is real while urging us to march into the meatgrinder for capital. And even then Trump and friends have successfully integrated COVID into the culture war so there's a real chance that red states under Biden will be even shittier out of spite.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

It rules, it's our fault the dems threw up yet another world-class loser as a candidate then tacked on another absolute turd for good measure. It's our fault the dems aren't actually going to make anything meaningfully better. It's our fault that leftward progress in this country is being stifled. It's our fault Trump is a massive piece of poo poo and the Democrats are usually not doing anything to stop him, and often happily going along with whatever he wants.

If only we had voted for Her, we wouldn't be in this mess! It's our responsibility to vote for Joe, and if we don't we're exactly the same as fascist Trump supporters! We're tiny babies with bad brains! We're secret strasserite conspirators! We're nihilists! Accelerationists! We secretly, in our heart of hearts, don't actually care about the poor/LGBTQ people/black people/immigrants/disabled people/workers! We need to learn to shut up and listen to our betters! It's not our time! Bernie tried and failed and everyone hates him so we have to shut up and get in line! It's our fault USPS is being dismantled and we could stop it if we only tried! But we won't, because of purity tests!

It's never, ever, ever, ever the fault of the Democratic Party of the United States of America. It's only ever our fault for being petulant babies and commie weirdos. No left political desire exists in the face of Donald John Trump, the singular most evil being to ever exist and the ultimate source of all problems, the likes of which will never again appear in America. It's our fault he is president and it will be our fault if he wins again.

LionArcher posted:

only way forward will down the line be actual on the streets violence

it sucks but this became true the second Bernie suspended his campaign, even if we all don't realize it yet

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think a lot of folks really don't get that many of us don't think Biden's presidency will be better than Trump's. The only thing I really trust Biden to genuinely be better on is that he'll at least acknowledge that COVID is real while urging us to march into the meatgrinder for capital. And even then Trump and friends have successfully integrated COVID into the culture war so there's a real chance that red states under Biden will be even shittier out of spite.

Also supreme Court. And... environmental polices maybe? (not good enough but better than trump)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not saying your wrong about Biden urging us to march into the meatgrinder for capital.

I'm saying your wrong about trump. Trump wants suffering.

Trump actually wants people to march into the meatgrinder for his pleasure.

"10 year prison sentences!"

This poo poo is dark.

Phone posted:

Before I go ahead and spend time on addressing this, I'm going to need to know beforehand as to whether or not you're going to ignore any questions I pose to you.

I'm going to not be unavailable for most of today soon so you can probably save those paragraphs.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Also supreme Court. And... environmental polices maybe? (not good enough but better than trump)

"Better than Trump" here is also doing a lot of work.

Trump is a climate change denialist who took the US out of a purely symbolic agreement. Biden is someone who claims to believe in climate change, but when he was in power his administration lifted the ban on exports of crude oil and led to one of the greatest increases in oil production in American history.

To say that Biden is definitely better, you have to believe what he says, not what he does.

I am not saying this to get you to vote Trump. I am saying this because some of the worst policy decisions of the last few decades happened because democratic voters paid attention to what democrats said, but not what they did. From the horrific expansion in the powers of ICE under Obama, to the lifting of the ban on crude oil exports, they all followed the same pattern of Obama getting the benefit of the doubt because he said the right things.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It seems that every single election boils down to "now is not the time for purity tests, we must get/keep this evil Republican out of congress. Sure the dems are right wingers, but they aren't as bad as the republicans"
This has happened every single election I ever remember, with the exception of 2008 probably. Dems are bad, reps are worse. So my question is, how bad can the dems go before they lose your vote? Many of the nojoes have reached this point, what is it for you? It might help to get a baseline of where everybody is at

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I’d love it if the people who make vague apocalyptic sounding noises about Trump (e.g. “if he wins there wont even BE democracy anymore!!”) to elaborate on what exactly they think is going to happen or why it will be so much worse than these last 4 pretty miserable, but not apocalyptic years. And furthermore how Your Vote is the only bulwark that prevents him from doing these vague, unprecedented things anyway. ‘Cause it may be that I’m just too cynical but that sure sounds like a bunch of poo poo a political party would say about their opponent to frighten you into voting for them, even if they promised you nothing in return.

Extra condition: you’re not allowed to use the phrase “existential threat” because lest we forget that is a Joe Biden original! He’s the one who called Trump that.

Funny... how in the eyes of the Biden campaign and Dems as a whole, Trump is both a completely incompetent buffoon who cant possibly run a successful government, but at the same time is the most concerning threat this country has ever faced (after Nixon, and Reagan, and Gee-Dubya, and Dubya... you know, all the other terrifying existential threats the Democrats have ever shrieked an election was about stopping). There’s a word for that kind of rhetoric but it’s just not coming to mind. Fracking? Face/Off? Falsity? I know it starts with an f

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The 671 machines that sort mail is not a vague threat.

They started removing them in June this year.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Trump isn't even the worst president in the past twenty years, it's just this country doesn't consider Iraqis to be human beings.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

spunkshui posted:

What does Joe Biden plan to do to prevent someone smarter from Trump doing this again when a Republicans becomes the President in the future?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Even if his shambling corpse does win, I have a feeling "toxic Bernie Bros" are going to be a favorite boogeyman for brunching liberal types for years to come as Biden is unable to affect needed change.

poo poo they still blame Nader 20 years later.

LionArcher posted:

Obama literally nominated the person the republicans told him to nominate before going "Haha, gently caress you." You think Biden is going to do better?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

poo poo they still blame Nader 20 years later.

Despite apparently deciding that they like Bush now, which is weird.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Despite apparently deciding that they like Bush now, which is weird.

Nader didn't bring candy.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

People keep telling me that I may lose my rights to choose my elected representative if I don't vote Biden but I've never felt like I've had a representative who wants to help me, a poor, formerly homeless person in the South. It's just various flavors of making GBS threads on me. So why would I vote? I supported Dems in 08, 12,16, but things got worse for me. Won't do that this year, except to vote for howie or Gloria

Hello fellow formerly homeless impoverino! That is the poo poo these people don't really understand. When you are so close to the edge that a stiff breeze will push you over hearing the person that is supposedly your savior saying things like "things won't fundamentally change." to their donors is pretty enraging. Doesn't offer much hope so I don't offer my vote. The democrats need to get their poo poo together to get my vote anymore. How about this poo poo, 60 seconds for AOC but an hour for Kasich and Ana Navarro. Certainly makes me feel like my ideas are given a little credence in this party. The only reason they gave Bernie any time is because they know that if they don't they aren't just going to lose people like me. They are going to lose all progressives. There is only so much republican governance people can take before they just give up and say who cares? I vote for the democrat but I just keep getting right wing governance when what I really need is legit help.

If you have never been so poor that legislation that effects food stamps and welfare has a dramatic effect on your life shut the gently caress up. Your voting practices keep getting us neoliberal shitbirds. If you have never gone to a food bank not to donate but to pick up keep your mouth closed and start truly thinking if what you are doing is worthwhile. Is biden good enough? Is what the DNC did okay with you? Is how they treat the people that actually want to help people like me okay? Look what they are doing to morse. They only want our votes, they don't want us in this party.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

spunkshui posted:

Sure. It's not like the Democrats were gonna undo any of his decisions or make thingsb etter in any way. This is the end point of Liberal bullshit. They triangulated so much they can't offer anything to be better than Trump. This must be broken if things are to ever get better.

It would have been easy to let Bernie win and use that wave of enthusiasm to crush Trump. The donors would have paid a bit more in taxes but things would have gotten better overall. But even that was too much, so they have to live with the consequences of their actions. This is on them, not us, if they can't gain our votes.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Who stopped Bernie from winning and where did Biden say he won’t reverse any of Trump’s policies?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Glumwheels posted:

Who stopped Bernie from winning and where did Biden say he won’t reverse any of Trump’s policies?

he specifically said he wouldnt roll back Trump's tax cuts for one example

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/biden-tells-donors-he-will-end-most-of-trumps-tax-cuts.html

quote:

Biden also said he would raise the corporate tax rate to 28%, which he said would raise an estimated $1.3 trillion over the next decade. The Trump tax cuts had shrunk corporate taxes to 21% from 35%.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 15, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Glumwheels posted:

I'm sorry, have you not been paying attention for the past 30 years of Democrat rule? And more specifically Obama/Biden?

As for stopping Bernie, you know what I'm talking don't be desingenuous. Don't play dumb.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Biden/Harris 2020: Hey, It's Better Than Nothing

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Glumwheels posted:

Do you actually want an answer to these questions, or are you just going to shout "Nuh uh!" a whole lot when someone posts the pages upon pages of evidence that the primaries were rigged and that Joe's only fundamental problem with Trump is that he won't use the dogwhistle?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I voted for Bernie, his loss was his own and not the result of the DNC. I disagree with the idea the media/DNC didn’t let him win and I’m definitely not siding with Trump on that.

You’re saying he won’t roll back the taxes but in the quote it says he will increase them to 28% from 21%. Yeah he is reversing them just not to the level they were before and it’s a valid complaint but not “he won’t reverse any trump policies”.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Glumwheels posted:

Yeah he is reversing them just not to the level they were before

I'm no expert driver but this is, in fact, not reversing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Glumwheels posted:

I voted for Bernie, his loss was his own and not the result of the DNC. I disagree with the idea the media/DNC didn’t let him win and I’m definitely not siding with Trump on that.

You’re saying he won’t roll back the taxes but in the quote it says he will increase them to 28% from 21%. Yeah he is reversing them just not to the level they were before and it’s a valid complaint but not “he won’t reverse any trump policies”.

thats explicitly not reversing them, just modifying then slightly so that people forget. this is the process that continually drags our country into oblivion.

you loving people complain that the damage Trump is doing will take years to undo, when the party you support isnt even interested in undoing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how the people who voted Green in 2016 are feeling about how things went. I don't know anyone who did.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

They is comically on the nose. Literally splitting the difference. Great place to start negotiations!

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how the people who voted Green in 2016 are feeling about how things went. I don't know anyone who did.

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed in Clinton for not doing enough to earn my vote. Feels like we'd be in a much better spot if she had. I imagine I'll feel much the same way about Biden four years from now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Eminai posted:

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed in Clinton for not doing enough to earn my vote. Feels like we'd be in a much better spot if she had. I imagine I'll feel much the same way about Biden four years from now.

You mean your mom didn't drag you kicking and screaming in front of Hillary in order to tearfully beg her forgiveness for failing to vote for her?
The way Hillary talked, that poo poo happened all the time for her.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Glumwheels posted:

I voted for Bernie, his loss was his own and not the result of the DNC.

Nah, and it's obvious to anyone with a brain what happened. Don't lie, you know what happened and trying to say it didn't just makes you look dumb.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CSM posted:

This just is a mind-boggling thing to say, if you actually think about it. Trump has actively made things worse for you and your fellow Americans, and is responsible for mismanaging a crisis that has killed over 200.000 Americans. Compare that to a Democratic president like Obama who at least did a couple of good things (health care reform, pollution caps, LGBT rights, financial sector regulations are examples). Even if you think progress should come much quicker, you're still objectively much worse off with Trump or any other Republican.

Hmm, yes Obama was well known for a well regulated financial system. Brilliant analysis.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

spunkshui posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/postal-service-set-to-announce-facility-closures/2012/02/22/gIQApEluTR_blog.html

U.S. Postal Service plans to close, consolidate 223 processing centers February 23, 2012

https://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/05/why-the-postal-service-is-slowing-first-class-mail-delivery/

The US Postal Service announced on Monday that it would close half of its 500 mail processing facilities around the country, slowing first-class mail delivery for the first time in decades while forcing many stamped letters to arrive in two days rather than one. Around 42% of first-class mail is currently delivered the next day. Dec. 05, 2011

https://money.cnn.com/2016/11/04/news/economy/jobs-under-obama/

The U.S. postal service has also seen a 112,000 employment drop under Obama

The idea that the push to privatize and sabotage the USPS is new is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yet another petard the dems readied for themselves to be hoist by.