Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blue On Blue posted:

how is that possible though, i mean I remember having some sort of rudimentary cockpit sharing in FSX going, but i can't remember if that was stock or some sort of module tbh, it was many many years ago

i sure hope they listen to the shared cockpit types and add something, even if it's basic as gently caress

It's a very simple kind of program that just lets you do inputs on another person's computer while they screenshare with you. It exists entirely outside the game. It's being branded as an MSFS addon though and sold for $12.99 lol.

Asobo has already said that they're adding shared cockpits. It's in active development, but there's no estimated time frame for when the update will happen (nor any word if it'll be free or not, but I imagine it'll be free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
AP is still buggy in versions close to release so don't expect extra features at release, hah. I'm positive it will all come in time though.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a very simple kind of program that just lets you do inputs on another person's computer while they screenshare with you. It exists entirely outside the game. It's being branded as an MSFS addon though and sold for $12.99 lol.

That's literally a free feature of Steam.

:eng99:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I was looking for a flight sim thread. I've always been casually interested in them but never had the time or money. Thanks to seemingly a permanent work from home situation til at least the end of the year and covid killing any ability for me to travel this year I decided to build a PC (which was a long term plan anyways...haven't owned a PC since 2005) but I really got excited for the new Flight Sim. So I ended up getting everything installed last weekend and I ordered a Honeycomb Yoke that arrived last week too. Very excited to get started and can't wait to ask a lot of annoying questions in this thread. I think the next thing I'll probably want to grab is some pedals.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This is a good post.

I really do hope this game can fill out the “midfield” of sims, so to speak. People can tune down the realism and just fly around, but if they want, can slowly learn up to whatever they want to get out of the sim. Even though I’m a huge nerd who likes study level poo poo, I’d ultimately still get more fun from “game” elements like FSX’s goofy “fly to Area 51” or “chauffeur James Bond” missions or something akin to Truck sim’s company/economic model. I hope we get some third party content like that, because if truck sim is anything to go by, there’s a significant market for that kind of game if it’s well made.

I really hope this being new breaks some of the attachment to buggy, awful UX third party poo poo that we’re all too used to. I’m not saying I didn’t use it or buy it, but we all know it could be so much better.

And yeah this is exactly where I'm at. I've always been casually interested in flight. I like reading about plane accidents (i'm insane) and I have friends who are pilots. I'm vaguely mechanically inclined and if I ever started making actual good money I could see myself becoming a hobbyist. This is my way of dipping my toes into that world. The thing that I really liked seeing in some of the videos of people who have beta access is that it does seem like they did a decent job of onboarding people. You can have the game walk you through basic plane startup. You can turn down the raw sim realism so I can aggressively take off or bank in bigger planes and not immediately fall out of the sky. Flight sims as others have pointed out is realistically and stereotypically what I would term as 'Old Man' or 'Dad' territory where you've got hardcore enthusiasts who mostly have good intentions, but you can see even in youtube comments how insane and spergy some of these guys get. The good side is the legitimate enthusiasm you see when someone reviews a piece of hardware and just gives a great review...you get earnest comments on youtube saying "thanks for breaking this down, look forward to seeing your flying videos." The dark side is someone is previewing the latest beta build and they're not a flight sim person and every comment is how that person sucks and they wish a real pilot could land the plane instead of this bullshit that ign is showing.

I'm definitely excited to spend a lot of time and getting more serious, but I too agree that a good middle ground would be great. Not only is it always better for a community to grow, but I think decent sales would lend the idea that MS could put more weight behind it. Not everyone who buys this game wants to spend 200 dollars recreating my favorite 747 livery from Northwest Airlines and drop in audio packs for realistic on flight passenger ambience so i can make my perfect LAX-MSP recreation flight video.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 15, 2020

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

soggybagel posted:

Yeah I was looking for a flight sim thread. I've always been casually interested in them but never had the time or money. Thanks to seemingly a permanent work from home situation til at least the end of the year and covid killing any ability for me to travel this year I decided to build a PC (which was a long term plan anyways...haven't owned a PC since 2005) but I really got excited for the new Flight Sim. So I ended up getting everything installed last weekend and I ordered a Honeycomb Yoke that arrived last week too. Very excited to get started and can't wait to ask a lot of annoying questions in this thread. I think the next thing I'll probably want to grab is some pedals.

This is basically me. I think the work from home thing is going to bring a whole lot of people who never thought they'd have the time into this.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My vague justification is that if I'm not going to get to spend some money on vacationing this year, then I'm going to virtually fly to the places!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Will we be able to buy the deluxe version as an upgrade to the basic one?
Dunno but I'm guessing yes. there's upgrades listed in the windows store, like if you look at the PREMIUM DELUXE edition it says it includes Microsoft Flight Simulator, Flight Simulator Deluxe Upgrade, and Flight Simulator Premium Deluxe Upgrade. If you click on any of those upgrades it takes you to a page where it says they're not available but maybe they'll become available when its actually released? https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/flight-simulator-premium-deluxe-upgrade/9pflt602np42

I think Forza games work the same as in if you buy the ULTIMATE EDITION of a forza it shows you owning the base game and then the addon poo poo as upgrades that you get in that 'pack', and you can buy them separately. It'd be kinda dumb if they didn't sell upgrades for Flight Sim separately.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Will we be able to buy the deluxe version as an upgrade to the basic one?

Yes.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Was looking for something to play until Flight Simulator releases to test out my new joystick. Looked at DCS World on Steam: $80 for a single plane and $2300 for all the DLC. :suicide:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arsonide posted:

Was looking for something to play until Flight Simulator releases to test out my new joystick. Looked at DCS World on Steam: $80 for a single plane and $2300 for all the DLC. :suicide:

Just get the DCS free base package and fly the free planes. They should entertain you for two days.

Also that "$xxxx for all the dlc" outrage doesn't really work with sims. You are not meant to buy all of them. You buy the few that interest you and learn to fly them well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you can fly the su-25 and tf-51 free. the modules go 50% off once or twice a year. the a10/f18/f5 is a good combo of planes to get on sale

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rincey posted:

So FSE works fine with the new sim, and, although the aircraft inventory in the sim is limited (for now), this thing was MADE for FSE. Quick hops into unknown airports are a dream when everything's rendered so well without having to go hunt down scenery.

This thing is going to be real, real, popular.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. One of the best things about FSE is that it’ll get you to fly to random places you wouldn’t check out otherwise, which will work so well in a game where everything looks somewhat OK without any extra messing around. I’m so excited!

The group I’m in has been collecting planes that will work as reasonable aliases for some of the stock FS stuff. Now personally I just need someone to make a PC-6, a Do 228 and a DC-3 for FS, and I’ll have all my current hauling faves.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

how is that possible though, i mean I remember having some sort of rudimentary cockpit sharing in FSX going, but i can't remember if that was stock or some sort of module tbh, it was many many years ago

i sure hope they listen to the shared cockpit types and add something, even if it's basic as gently caress

I remember sharing cockpits in FSX so it must have been standard. I also remembered you could lock you cockpit with a password because otherwise anyone in the server with you could click your name and choose to share a cockpit and then start throwing your plane around while you tried to figure out how to stop them.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Does anyone know if the Steam version of the new Microsoft Flight Sim will actually load through Steam or will it require another launcher?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

cargohills posted:

Does anyone know if the Steam version of the new Microsoft Flight Sim will actually load through Steam or will it require another launcher?

I don't know for sure, but the Halo Master Chief Collection is pretty seamless. It's definitely using some Xbox stuff in the background, and it uses your Xbox account, etc., but there's no launcher per se. Patch and DLC data is all downloaded through steam, so no launching it and then having to wait for the real download.

I assume this will work the same way.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is the embargo up? I'm seeing streams on twitch

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ethanol posted:

is the embargo up? I'm seeing streams on twitch

It’s up for select streamers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I loving hate that blue balling poo poo. Release the drat game for everyone at once.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

(You’re playing into exactly what they want, also didn’t you have the alpha anyways?)

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I don't know for sure, but the Halo Master Chief Collection is pretty seamless. It's definitely using some Xbox stuff in the background, and it uses your Xbox account, etc., but there's no launcher per se. Patch and DLC data is all downloaded through steam, so no launching it and then having to wait for the real download.

I assume this will work the same way.

Sea of thieves is also on steam and it’s a seamless start up, but it is an absolute bear to group up with friends in as you have to enable the Xbox live overlay and use Xbox accounts to group up. Hopefully they make grouping up to fly easier on FS2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

sellouts posted:

(You’re playing into exactly what they want, also didn’t you have the alpha anyways?)
Yeah, but the streamers have a newer build and are probably streaming data from an updated world dataset, considering how some flying areas are still broken to poo poo since the first beta build.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ah, okay. Got it.

I thought there wasn’t going to be a “Jesus patch” and that’s not how game dev works, so what are you so worked up about?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Review copies have been a thing for decades in game publishing and streamers are the modern version of the PC Gamer print mag. Is what it is.

Also, by streamers having the release build early, yesterday we found a huge regression with SimConnect that was introduced between the 1.6 watermarked test build that everyone else still has and the 1.7 release build that currently only streamers have. Reported to Asobo but as of the moment pilot network clients (both PE and VATSIM) will be totally broken until the sim gets a patch released.

We'll be spending today investigating possible workarounds. Cross your fingers :f5:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

sellouts posted:

I thought there wasn’t going to be a “Jesus patch” and that’s not how game dev works, so what are you so worked up about?
Doesn't mean that they didn't fix anything at all between 1.6.13 and 1.7.11. For instance the autopilot. The TBM altitude hold wobbles, the A320 banking turns it into a seesaw, and poo poo like that. And as alluded before, the world dataset the 1.6.13 build seems to access is patchy as gently caress with low resolution spots for no reason, something that also broke during development.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I have been kicking myself for the last week about the fact that I threw out my modded PS Eye camera last year after it sat on my desk for like 6 years. ha HA though, turns out it never made it to electronics recycling yet and just has a year of garage floor gunk in it. I even looked around and found my left over IR leds from when I built my tracking headset (that did make it into the garbage). Today everything is coming up Milhouse. :unsmith:

A cheap thing I designed to use my T.16000M HOTAS for playing ED on the Vive might be helpful for new people who just need something to put their junk on (the PVC is even less complicated now than in the photo):

It has worked for hundreds of hours and just needs a 3D printer and some PVC. You nerds have that right? Models are on Thingiverse.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I put my thrust master on my lap in my rolling computer chair, but yours looks more comfy in the long run

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Got my Honeycomb Yoke in today, and I'm going to do an interesting little mod to mount it. The mounting plate it comes with is all well and good, but in the end is one more piece of multi-piece tat to drag out and affix when I want to play. Normally you would affix the mounting plate to the table through clamps or the sticky pad on the underside. Then the yoke itself slides on to a round catch in the center of the mounting plate, and the feet on the yoke are tightened to provide a friction fit.

Instead of all that, I'm going to drop a threaded insert into my desk, in the same spot where the round catch on the mounting plate would sit. Then I can quickly thread in a bolt with affixed washer in place of the round catch, and the yoke can mount onto that. So now when I want to play I can just quickly pop in the bolt, then remove when done, and my keyboard covers the insert when the yoke's not in use. Completely eliminates the need to keep the mounting plate and clamps hanging about.

Update! Did the mod, works great! So now I can store this unwieldy piece of kit:

And just pop in a bolt when I want to mount my yoke on the table. Easy peasy.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
That’s smart. Step 1 for me is building a custom desk though.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rincey posted:

Review copies have been a thing for decades in game publishing and streamers are the modern version of the PC Gamer print mag. Is what it is.

Also, by streamers having the release build early, yesterday we found a huge regression with SimConnect that was introduced between the 1.6 watermarked test build that everyone else still has and the 1.7 release build that currently only streamers have. Reported to Asobo but as of the moment pilot network clients (both PE and VATSIM) will be totally broken until the sim gets a patch released.

We'll be spending today investigating possible workarounds. Cross your fingers :f5:

We're not really dealing with review copies anymore though, now it's full on being able to watch people play the game as if it was fully released. Sure it still "is what it is" but it's also vastly different than review copies for a few people who would play it on their own to write up an article in a magazine (or a website).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Streaming is the new review. He addressed this and he isn’t wrong.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

maybe i'm weird but if i had to choose between waiting for a release date with no content to watch and waiting for release with some people getting the ability to stream it early i'd pick the second every time. we have to wait regardless, i'd rather get hyped up for it and have something to watch.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

the end of squirrel's stream where he was flying in florida among some scattered thunderstorms was just brilliant.

is it just me or does the autopilot look to be working better?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

sudo rm -rf posted:

the end of squirrel's stream where he was flying in florida among some scattered thunderstorms was just brilliant.

In the QA stream they said they noted every bug that the streamers had in their videos and a lot had already been fixed. They also said the AP team was the biggest team and working on a ton of fixes.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I would never have gotten hyped for the release without all the streamer content on YouTube from the past few weeks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sudo rm -rf posted:

The ability to make really terrible weather decisions with no fear for your life is pretty interesting. I took the carbon cub up in some weather yesterday, and found a big open area INSIDE the thunderstorm, with the central convective area inside of that. Clear air with clouds all around, it was pretty wild.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hopefully this is ok, but wanted to let anyone know that needs an upgrade my stuff is listed on SA Mart

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936749

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Rincey posted:

So FSE works fine with the new sim, and, although the aircraft inventory in the sim is limited (for now), this thing was MADE for FSE. Quick hops into unknown airports are a dream when everything's rendered so well without having to go hunt down scenery.

This thing is going to be real, real, popular.

I know this was probably asked two pages ago for the 40th time, but do we have an FSE "group"? I don't know what they are called, a VA?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christ I can't stop thinking of all the places I wanna visit on Tuesday, I think I'm going to look for my apartment building first, try to find my childhood home, and check out a bunch of places I used to live/visit

edit: did they say anything about having an aircraft carrier to land on? I always liked landing weird planes on the carrier in older FS titles.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 16, 2020

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Taintrunner posted:

Christ I can't stop thinking of all the places I wanna visit on Tuesday, I think I'm going to look for my apartment building first, try to find my childhood home, and check out a bunch of places I used to live/visit

edit: did they say anything about having an aircraft carrier to land on? I always liked landing weird planes on the carrier in older FS titles.

If not you can always go try to land on the Midway or one of the other museum ships, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-iUqGoj3k

The audio is just loving incredible sounding, listen to that rain. So glad I have a really nice pair of headphones and a DAC for this.