Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Varkk posted:

My workplace did a 1000000 hours free from LTI challenge and we hit it and management gave us an afternoon off with a bar tab at a nearby pub. There was a little bit creative accounting around it. E.g one guy injured his shoulder on a Friday afternoon but be sure it wasn't a full day off it wasn't lost time since he was back on Monday. Another guy sprained his ankle after jumping down the stairs on the way out at the end of a day but because it was outside of work hours it wasn't a work injury.

I mean yeah that's kind of the issue with doing a challenge like that:

It's more likely to lead to creative accounting/reporting than to more carefulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i was on a site with a big neon sign next to their permit office that said 700something days since an incident and it incremented every single day i was there including when a guy had to get 3 stiches and when someone else dropped a entire pallet of custom made aluminium studded ceramic bricks and shattered them and when someone threw out their back and had to take like 2 weeks off. i asked the head of maintenance what the gently caress you gotta do to get that number reset and he said the last time it was reset someone lost a finger. cool site glad to never go back there ever again

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

fankey posted:

2017. I asked our guide what would happen if the 50s looking full body radiation detectors actually detected something - she said “big noise”.

Another OSHA moment - when we pulled up to the “Welcome to Chernobyl” sign there were a bunch of people in tyvek suits along with masks and personal Geiger counters around their neck posing for pictures. We, along with our guide, were in jeans and tshirts. I asked her if we should have brought any of that stuff and she answered “toys. They play with toys. Walk where I say”.

Chernobyl was cool but Duga-1 was amazing.

We were there during the "pause" in tourist activities, and none of us could see any proof that the full-body activity scanners were on, even though they had our guide go through it. The gate workers had older handheld scintillation counters that they used, but didn't seem to care all that much.

As for the OSHA: Most of my group was issued badge dosimeters for the trip from work, and we had electronic intensimeters to use to spot local variations. The badge dosimeters showed no measurable difference between the one reference badge and the Chernobyl badge, while the dosimeter never left the 1-10 µSv/h range.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The Chernobyl talk reminded me of something I came across yeeears ago. A blog site about a girl who rides her motorcycle to Chernobyl. I managed to find it again by googling "girl who rides motorbike to chernobyl" Honestly I'm amazed angelfire is still up!
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

quote:

I have never had problems with the dosimeter guys, who man the checkpoints. They are experts, and if they find radiation on you vehicle, they gave it a chemical shower.
I don't count those couple of times when "experts" tried to invent an excuse to give me a shower, because those had a lot more to do with physical biology than biological physics

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I once watched a gaggle of morons decide they were going to move the big tablesaw, one of those old giant things that takes several people just to lift off the ground because it weighs a couple tons, to a better spot while we were moving into a new place.

Said morons decided not to dismantle the giant sled that hooked into a rail to let it move smoothly and frictionlessly for setting up your cuts, which probably weighed about a ton by itself. Before I had time to say anything, one of them (one of the three managers on site, also an old as hell gently caress) put his hand inside the rail that the table ran on to lift it up, and when they all lifted, the table immediately slammed home onto his knuckles and fingers.

I was amazed that he didn't have all his fingers crushed, but we got the thing back on the ground asap, pushed the table back off his hand and got it out, got him to the hospital.

Of course there was no write-up because he was the one handling write-ups.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean yeah that's kind of the issue with doing a challenge like that:

It's more likely to lead to creative accounting/reporting than to more carefulness.

Don't worry, since the goal of management is to reduce reported injuries, rather than actual injuries, it still serves its purpose

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ak Gara posted:

The Chernobyl talk reminded me of something I came across yeeears ago. A blog site about a girl who rides her motorcycle to Chernobyl. I managed to find it again by googling "girl who rides motorbike to chernobyl" Honestly I'm amazed angelfire is still up!
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

That’s a creative writing exercise, by the way.

She went on a managed tour and brought along a motorbike helmet to pose with.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

That’s a creative writing exercise, by the way.

She went on a managed tour and brought along a motorbike helmet to pose with.

quote:

In places where roads have not been travelled by trucks or army vehicles, they are in the same condition they were 20 years ago - except for an occasional blade of grass or some tree that discovered a crack to spring through. Time does not ruin roads, so they may stay this way until they can be opened to normal traffic again........ a few centuries from now

no

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Um.

So many questions. Why is a cable company fixing a power outage? By wiring a generator into the lines? What? I'm assuming some of this is just garbage NYPost reporting, but that sure is a generator up there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It would be better if the truck were parked around the corner. :colbert:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

Um.

So many questions. Why is a cable company fixing a power outage? By wiring a generator into the lines? What? I'm assuming some of this is just garbage NYPost reporting, but that sure is a generator up there.

Those look like telecommunications lines, so it's probably just providing power to the local telecommunications hardware. (Which explains why it's the telco setting it up and not the power company).

(You can also tell because a generator that size is not going to run very many households of actual electrical usage).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Con Ed's response to Tropical Storm Isaias has been a huge clusterfuck, there are probably still houses without power two weeks later.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Jabor posted:

Those look like telecommunications lines, so it's probably just providing power to the local telecommunications hardware. (Which explains why it's the telco setting it up and not the power company).

(You can also tell because a generator that size is not going to run very many households of actual electrical usage).

I think the bigger issue is having a heavy generator propped up on poles not designed to support it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Those poles are made out of trees, do you know how much a tree weighs? A couple hundred lbs is insignificant.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Humerus posted:

I think the bigger issue is having a heavy generator propped up on poles not designed to support it.

Unless there is some sort of bracket or shelf like device I can't see, the issue is not the pole, but that the generator is sitting on the wires.
THough, there is probably some sort of support wire running through the tangle of service wires.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure there are black support brackets of some sort running under the generator and attached directly to the pole.

Look just under the gen by the pole. Looks like it has two supports of some kind.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Refueling it must be fun.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MRC48B posted:

Refueling it must be fun.

You just pipe in power from the lines to keep it recharged, those only need gas if you don't have power.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qejfmcPuX41ttrxmx.mp4

A chorus of children who yell YAY! every time you do something safely but boo and hiss when you do something stupid and dangerous (like having kids right by a construction site?)

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 16, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Um.

Phone service providers are required to maintain basic 911 emergency capabilities even during power outages. That's why the grey broadband junction box on the wall of your basement or garage has a 12v battery in it and it beeps and lights up when you flip the breaker; if the power on your block goes out, you can still dial out and reach a node and have your signal routed to where it has to go. But in huge widespread outages, the redundancies in the usually redundant network of routing and amplifying are all down, too. The inline amps in those big black boxes on poles need power to help push signal outside the range of the outage. Not every amplifier, just a couple centrally located ones to handle the extremely minimal and legally required voice-only traffic over while they wait to get the power back. The generator looks goofy as hell (and the photo sucks) but it looks like it's tied to a horizontally even pair of thick-rear end broadband trunk cables that can support something like 1500lbs in excess of the cable weight per 250' run to the next pole.

(Source: Broadband line tech way too many years ago)

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 16, 2020

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Humerus posted:

Taking a closer look, that grnerator probably weighs about 25 to 35 pounds. Also it might be able to power one fridge. Its light enough for a man to lift one handed and its powering telecom equipment not household power.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxLewLQIXnw

A repeat of Byford Dolphin narrowly averted.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

It would be better if the truck were parked around the corner. :colbert:

I'm so glad the OP shared the first post because this guy is a great follow.
https://twitter.com/Bondcliff2008/status/1295103292075388934?s=20

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
drat, Jim is my favorite trainfuckler.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

DiHK posted:

drat, Jim is my favorite trainfuckler.

Big fan of Jim.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/VCFD/status/1294438570480898048

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://i.imgur.com/3C5Ln3n.mp4

This made me anxious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess if you trust your friend not to smack you with the club, but why? Like I see that he's making sure that the guy's hand is clear before swinging, but his shots are just going in random directions. That's not a useful skill.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0J8wmucIbM

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cojawfee posted:

That's not a useful skill.

Yeah, but enough about golf.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Cojawfee posted:

I guess if you trust your friend not to smack you with the club, but why? Like I see that he's making sure that the guy's hand is clear before swinging, but his shots are just going in random directions. That's not a useful skill.

Based on how badly I can drive a golf ball when I'm taking my time and giving it 100% concentration, I'm actually impressed by that guy's consistency. He's not really aiming and he slices a few of them but it's not terrible considering he's abandoning form for a cool party trick.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Would pointless rules and lovely management count as anti-OSHA?

About 10 years ago I worked in a call center that subscribed to a lot of the worst corporate pop-psychology bullshit imaginable. They required employees to dress in business-casual at least, even though you never, ever had direct contact with any clients. This included requiring closed-toe shoes, which I hate with a passion. This was all predicated on the "if people dress professional they will act professional" trope, as far as I could tell. We also had meetings where they unironically went on about "six sigma" or "lean sigma" or some such bullshit.

To add insult to injury, they also kept the office temperature ridiculously cold. Like fingers-going-numb, 1/3 of employees keeping blankets in their cubicles cold. I found these fingerless gloves intended for weightlifting which helped keep my hands warm and still let me type. Whether this was based on pop-psych bullshit about cold increasing alertness or because they had inadequate ventilation in their half-assed server room and tried to compensate by freezing the rest of the office remains an open question.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We also had meetings where they unironically went on about "six sigma" or "lean sigma" or some such bullshit.

or as we in the business call it, "ligma"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Would pointless rules and lovely management count as anti-OSHA?

About 10 years ago I worked in a call center that subscribed to a lot of the worst corporate pop-psychology bullshit imaginable. They required employees to dress in business-casual at least, even though you never, ever had direct contact with any clients. This included requiring closed-toe shoes, which I hate with a passion. This was all predicated on the "if people dress professional they will act professional" trope, as far as I could tell.

People who like to wear open-toe shoes are the reason why almost every business mandates closed-toe shoes

BMan posted:

or as we in the business call it, "ligma"
I've always called it "six smegma"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GotLag posted:

People who like to wear open-toe shoes are the reason why almost every business mandates closed-toe shoes

We are enemies now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GotLag posted:

I have closed toe sandals with toe cleavage windows.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don’t have a single clip version and don’t bother to unmute.

https://i.imgur.com/Ne4LwPZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/jwBQS2l.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/j16ADal.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that's pretty :krad: they got it to work

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That went far better than they had any right to expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For sure. It did bug me a lot that the dude kept getting out of the car and standing on the lift gates with it. Like if any of that poo poo failed, either far away or tucked safely IN the car is the place to be. So I guess that’s the OSHA part. One of them.