Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the 90 year old zombies who actually read the mail and want other people's children to go back to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Been reading on FB Sir Haircut has apparently been going round the country (unannounced) but no one in local CLPs is being told. Darlington, Cornwall and wherever Ruth Smeeth is - I thought she wasnt an MP now but she was informed of his visit but noone else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cyril Sneeer posted:

Back in I think 1997 a distant relative of mine worked high up in marketing for bridgestone, he found out I was an F1 fan and offered us paddock passes on saturday for the british GP at silverstone.

Eddie Jordan was a good man in a rush, he shook hands with me and immediately yanked me over to his shoulder to pose for a picture. Then he scurried off for his next meeting really fast.

Saw the back of Michael Schumacker, he really looked like he was in a hurry and did not want to be bothered by peeps. He was suprisingly small. I think you do not get a good read on people sizes from watching them on tv, but Schumacker was smaller than I expected.

Alex Wurz was a lanky giant tho, I saw him first as I entered the paddock. He was being followed by a reporter who it seemed he wanted to get away from. She was asking loads of questions, he gave 1 word answers to them, then when he got to the turnstyles at the paddock entrance just vaulted over them to get away from her.

Most F1 drivers are under 5'8" - it doesn't give the weight advantage it used to now cars are weighed with the driver (50s and 60s drivers are basically diddymen), but it still gives an aerodynamic advantage and a *massive* advantage in karting and the lesser formulas and some F1 teams just won't hire taller drivers because they don't want to completely rebuild the car - for someone over 6 feet to make it to F1 they probably have extremely rich parents even by F1 standards (nobody whose parents worked for a living has raced in F1 since the 70s) or came up through sportscar racing or rallying.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Cornish CLPs were pretty annoyed. He came down here without telling us, said "we must help the Cornish tourist industry" - which is only marginally better than saying "we must build more holiday homes here" - and then burbled about us being serious about winning now, which seemed to discount all the work members had put in before.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cyril Sneeer posted:

Saw the back of Michael Schumacker, he really looked like he was in a hurry and did not want to be bothered by peeps.

He discovered a neat trick for that

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most F1 drivers are under 5'8" - it doesn't give the weight advantage it used to now cars are weighed with the driver (50s and 60s drivers are basically diddymen), but it still gives an aerodynamic advantage and a *massive* advantage in karting and the lesser formulas and some F1 teams just won't hire taller drivers because they don't want to completely rebuild the car - for someone over 6 feet to make it to F1 they probably have extremely rich parents even by F1 standards (nobody whose parents worked for a living has raced in F1 since the 70s) or came up through sportscar racing or rallying.

I recall going to a driving experience day and being unable to fit in the seat of the first car they brought out because my hips were too big. They're definitely built for small people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

I recall going to a driving experience day and being unable to fit in the seat of the first car they brought out because my hips were too big. They're definitely built for small people.

I got stuck in a tyre on an obstacle course. i was slim at the time but your skeleton is your skeleton and I'm quite tall. No way could i get out of that tyre. Took two instructors to get me out and very bruised hips afterwards.

On another note something circulating on FB about Aberdeen bannimg The Sun because of "what they said about laxt week's train derailment" but i cant find out what that was. Anyone know?

Sorry about typos fixing them is a pain. I miss my laptop!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1294885867321004032

FORENSIC!

Seriously, is anyone outside of the Tory party or their media coterie pushing for this? Who the gently caress does he think he's appealing to with this bullshit?

Also someone on Twitter compared him to the bad guy from Full Throttle and now I can't unsee it:

"I assure you Jeremy, I am not waiting for you to die!"
Next election will be Jack Johnson Vs John Jackson as Labour morph entirely into a clone of the Tories.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mebh posted:

I totally forgot, Years ago I made buffalo wings for my lunch one day and Damon Albarn and his friends ate them while pitching an MMO based on the Gorillaz universe to my boss.

Life is odd.

This sounds great, when's it coming out?

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and some F1 teams just won't hire taller drivers because they don't want to completely rebuild the car - for someone over 6 feet to make it to F1 they probably have extremely rich parents even by F1 standards (nobody whose parents worked for a living has raced in F1 since the 70s) or came up through sportscar racing or rallying.

I remember reading about Nigel Mansells F1 comback in '95 with McLaren. He had been in Indycar in america for 2 years by this point, but was offered a drive by mclaren so took it.

He physically didn't fit in the car. They had to re-design the whole car to accomodate mansells shoulders + middle age spread. It was not a sucess and he did not complete the season with them.

Mansell was a pretty average middle age guy from western-europe, 6' and broad shouldered, but it is better for the teams I guess to get a 'twink' in who can also hustle a car fast.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

On another note something circulating on FB about Aberdeen bannimg The Sun because of "what they said about laxt week's train derailment" but i cant find out what that was. Anyone know?

I mean I don't know as I don't read the Sun, but I support this statement. In fact ban it from the UK with the Daily Mail as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They had a cover with a picture of the crash headlined "DEATH EXPRESS" and printed a picture of the driver (who was killed) before his name was officially released. It's not Hillsborough levels of victim blaming, but it was extremely poor taste.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The death express is the other paper.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

The celebs thing is all location IME, ie working in Piccadilly then behind/in front of bars round Soho it's fairly impossible not to bump into famous folk.
A journalist friend of mine has life membership at The Groucho Club so I've been in there a fair few times - unwritten rule is don't engage/take pictures with the celebs if you're a nobody, so while I've seen a lot of folk in there, the only one I ever had a brief chat with was Sean Pertwee, and that's only because he asked me for a light. I expected it to be pretentious as gently caress in there but it's fine aside from the utterly obnoxious rich kids.

Oh yeah, ended up talking to Bernard Hill one time too, about the British Museum of all things as I had my Rosetta Stone t-shirt on. He was in with one of the voice-over tech guys I know. He said he didn't actually go out all that much due to people forever coming up and quoting Lord of the Rings or Yosser Hughes at him. Which I'm sure gets infuriating after a while. Heard the same with Simon Pegg now too, he can't go gently caress all anywhere without someone telling him he has red on him etc.

Side celeb note: My girlfriend used to work at the beauty salon in Harrods doing makeovers, so she'd get various celebs in regularly, Faye Dunaway being notable, a lot of footballers wives she'd no chance of recognising but given they'd tell her within a minute of meeting she got to know anyway. Her favourite one though: The Rocks Mum. How would you know? She likes telling people, says she wouldn't normally, then pulls out a laminated photo album of The Rock as a kid. Said she was an absolute sweetheart, bought a lot of make-up and dropped them a tip too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1294933824476938241?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

extremely rich parents even by F1 standards (nobody whose parents worked for a living has raced in F1 since the 70s)

I dont think the past two british champions had especially rich parents? Hamilton and Button.

And Alonso had working class parents according to wikipedia, with Vettel's listed as carpenter and housewife. Raikkonen's parents were a road worker and an office clerk. What I'm getting at is it seems, at least among the successful drivers that it has not been a prerequisite to come from extreme wealth. Obviously Thats dotted with Rosbergs and Hills who are second generation champions whose parents definitely are wealthy.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 16, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/terryfuck45/status/1294767760984231936?s=19

That took a long time then.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Like the neo-liberal Democrats, the Labour right are just trying to be the softer conservatives..

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I met Donald Trump's brother at a charity event once. He was down to earth and VERY funny.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

He's just lying in wait like a cunning forensician. He'll start not being a poo poo in 2021. No, 22. No in the run up to the election in 24.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
F1 chat reminded me that I met Frank Williams not that long before he died. He had a story about how if Bernie Ecclestone was ever having trouble in a meeting he'd knock over a glass of water or something to throw people off track for a bit so he could redirect the conversation once everything had been tidied up. I think about it every time I'm in a meeting with a client.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1294926217569808385?s=19

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont think the past two british champions had especially rich parents? Hamilton and Button.

And Alonso had working class parents according to wikipedia, with Vettel's listed as carpenter and housewife.

Hamilton came up through carting though if I remember right - like Mansell and Senna.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I can claim a Bacon Number of 4 having been in a wedding video with a famous singer; one of my close relatives married one of their close relatives. But I'm not going to reveal who...

I was at an art exhibition (British Musuem maybe?) with my sister, who walked in to Ian McKellen. We also saw David Tennan and Georgia Moffett at the Tower of London.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 16, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

F1 chat reminded me that I met Frank Williams not that long before he died. He had a story about how if Bernie Ecclestone was ever having trouble in a meeting he'd knock over a glass of water or something to throw people off track for a bit so he could redirect the conversation once everything had been tidied up. I think about it every time I'm in a meeting with a client.

Frank Williams is alive?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cyril Sneeer posted:

I remember reading about Nigel Mansells F1 comback in '95 with McLaren. He had been in Indycar in america for 2 years by this point, but was offered a drive by mclaren so took it.

He physically didn't fit in the car. They had to re-design the whole car to accomodate mansells shoulders + middle age spread. It was not a sucess and he did not complete the season with them.

Mansell was a pretty average middle age guy from western-europe, 6' and broad shouldered, but it is better for the teams I guess to get a 'twink' in who can also hustle a car fast.

Mansell was also from the late 70s/early 80s transitional phase where ground effect, manual shifters and lack of power steering meant that being built like a brick shithouse was an advantage - Ronnie Petersen, Keke Rosberg, Alan Jones, Mario Andretti, and most of the other leading drivers of the era look husky as gently caress compared to modern drivers. Power steering started coming into the sport in the early 80s and then we get the era of the Turbotwink, where Prost, Senna, and Piquet dominate.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Ofqual have already suspended their own criteria for a level appeals.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I met Donald Trump's brother at a charity event once. He was down to earth and VERY funny.

The one who died last night?

Celeb chat: Elon Musk, Kobe. Also I met a whole bunch when I was an extra in a few Hollywood production because my partner at the time was a set designer. Highlight was probably dancing on stage with Ang Lee at the Life of Pi wrap party in India, or dogsitting Owen Wilson's dog (One of the actors that were in Marley and Me) during filming of Midnight in Paris. I ate lunch next to Leo when they were making Inception

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

moostaffa posted:

The one who died last night?

:thejoke: is that Limmy used to tweet that every time someone died.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have little confidence in either of my kids schools to be reasonably safe with regards covid- even if they had been given proper expectations, support and guidance it would have been an immense struggle as both their schools were overcrowded, underfunded and under-staffed before the pandemic.

I also have absolutely no confidence in my ability to pay a thousand pounds worth of fines per week (fifty quid per pupil, per parent, per day) by keeping them out.

Starting from mid-may both schools have continually promised detailed information on how the kids will be kept safe- bar some very vague talk about bubbles and using different entrances to the premises there has been precisely gently caress all forthcoming.

Since the start of this both me and my missus have told them "we will see how things are in september" when they asked about going back and now that time is coming and the options are: risk sending them in, don't and get fined far more than we can afford or failing that just lie that they are "sick" and hope for leniency from two academies with revolving door management.

It's a total loving shambles.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Frank Williams is alive?
Yes. Apparently he might be the world's oldest surviving tetraplegic.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
all the children should be back at their school and we should bring back beatings for to give them all a good beating like in good old days my day, not sit at home play internet nintendos and getting fat :mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like really, this idea that is presented as fact throughout the media that there is a perfect mapping between time spent in school buildings and amount of education gained is as ridiculous as Williamson's comment about people being promoted beyond their abilities. Schools are presented as education charging facilities and the people attending get charged up with education to their maximum natural capacity lol. I'm largely extrapolating from personal experience but going to school, especially in my final years, hindered my learning more than anything else due to horrific bullying and some (in hindsight) risibly lovely teachers. I spent all of my time at school in a state of panic or near-panic trying to think of how to avoid different people and situations. I learned nothing there

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 16, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DesperateDan posted:

I have little confidence in either of my kids schools to be reasonably safe with regards covid- even if they had been given proper expectations, support and guidance it would have been an immense struggle as both their schools were overcrowded, underfunded and under-staffed before the pandemic.

I also have absolutely no confidence in my ability to pay a thousand pounds worth of fines per week (fifty quid per pupil, per parent, per day) by keeping them out.

Starting from mid-may both schools have continually promised detailed information on how the kids will be kept safe- bar some very vague talk about bubbles and using different entrances to the premises there has been precisely gently caress all forthcoming.

Since the start of this both me and my missus have told them "we will see how things are in september" when they asked about going back and now that time is coming and the options are: risk sending them in, don't and get fined far more than we can afford or failing that just lie that they are "sick" and hope for leniency from two academies with revolving door management.

Any chance you can home school them?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

Are there other parents from the same school you can discuss with and approach them as a coordinated group?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seriously, is anyone outside of the Tory party or their media coterie pushing for this? Who the gently caress does he think he's appealing to with this bullshit?

Yes? Kids going back to school needs to happen, it should be the #1 priority of the entire country. What ever else needs to be shut or locked down to facilitate it, I’m fine with that happening.

COVID is not the only thing on the planet that matters, we are loving up our children. Not just the older ones with exams, but more pressingly the young kids who learn the basics of socialisation at school. If you are 5 years old lockdown is not a few unusual months, it’s half of your life that you’re capable of remembering.

I have a 7 year old nephew who cannot read and I cannot tell you how worrying it is seeing his regression over the last 6 months. His parents are not educators.

Not to mention the kids with really hosed up home lives.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

peanut- posted:

Yes? Kids going back to school needs to happen, it should be the #1 priority of the entire country. What ever else needs to be shut or locked down to facilitate it, I’m fine with that happening.

how would you feel if we didn't do anything to facilitate it or make it safe and just get the news to blame it on calais migrants if any of them die?

asking for a friend

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And Alonso had working class parents according to wikipedia, with Vettel's listed as carpenter and housewife. Raikkonen's parents were a road worker and an office clerk. What I'm getting at is it seems, at least among the successful drivers that it has not been a prerequisite to come from extreme wealth. Obviously Thats dotted with Rosbergs and Hills who are second generation champions whose parents definitely are wealthy.

Lewis Hamilton's dad is pretty rich and not only paid for young Lewis' carting career, actually bought him his own track to practice on. Jenson Button is literally called Jenson Button, that is not a name that came from a council estate.

It costs ~10k a year to run a single kart in a national championship and double that to run at the front, and if the kid *isn't* running at the front by the time puberty hits there's no chance at all of them ever being picked up by a junior formula team (and even then, unless they're ridiculously talented, it'll be pay-to-drive and nobody not related to them is paying that much money). You don't need Monaco yacht money to get your kid into F1 (but it helps, looking at you Stroll and Norris) but you do at least need send-them-to-public-school money for them to even have a chance, no matter how talented they are.

Ironically the second (and even third) generation drivers are the ones that *don't* need the money as much (just as well because until the 80s drivers weren't really making any money) because they have the name recognition (and the parental connections) to step into the tiny amount of paid drives in the lower formulas.

The exception here are the Nordics - Finland in particular has volksracing, a completely open claim-rule formula*, which you can compete in for the equivalent of a few hundred quid plus petrol money, and both Finland and Sweden have claim-rule rally championships that are cheap as hell to compete in, both giving a relatively cheap route to international motor racing.

* "open" in that as long as a car meets minimal safety requirements you can race it, no restrictions on weight, power, anything - the thing that stops people turning up in Group B cars is the claim rule, anybody who finishes below you can buy your car from you for a fixed cost, normally something in the region of 500 quid, so it's pointless to spend any more than that on buying and prepping your car.

e: Got Hamilton and Schumacher's dads stories confused in my head

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 16, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(nobody whose parents worked for a living has raced in F1 since the 70s)

OK but none of that quite says the above does it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suggesting we must simply go back to throwing children into the grinder because the we cannot change the society that requires them to be ground up, even as the process becomes far more dangerous, is wonderful policy. I can see why starmer supports it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

OK but none of that quite says the above does it?

Hooray, you've found a slight exaggeration in an aside in a derail, I am vanquished.