Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Me today: Hey the bike is feeling pretty squirrelly; I haven't checked the tire pressure in a long rear end while so I bet I'm a few pounds down.
Tire gauge: front 15 psi rear 12. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:chloe: holy poo poo I’m surprised you didn’t wipe out

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I thought it'd be unrideable at that pressure but I guess not. Just weird and squirrelly. Not going to make that mistake again.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My KLR's like that. Once found the front with "???" psi because it wouldn't register on a mechanical gauge. Felt a little mushy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I went riding in front of my buddy in his Exige, hit 100+ several times.

Rear felt a little odd, so I checked it at a gas stop.

8psi.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Curious if orange seal would have the same benefits for motorcycles as it does for bicycles.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Back when I got a flat in my rear tire on an EX250 several years ago, I only had a couple of those CO2 canisters to fill it up with after patching it with a tar stick. The first one missed, and the tire still felt mushy. But the second one managed to make the tire hard enough to ride on, so I could get home. When I checked it at home it was only like 6 psi. (The tire still holds air with that patch to this day.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Last time I got that low it felt like I was losing the rear on every corner, like my butt was sliding sideways, I guess from the tyre deforming and rolling a bit?

Also braking hard made it feel like the front was going to fall off. Do not recommend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Goldwing has an onboard compressor for the air suspension and Soichiro Honda in his infinite wisdom put a Schraeder valve on the button panel so you can inflate your own tires anywhere.

It’s amazing

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Did you ever get that thing working? Last I remember you couldn't figure out how to turn it on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Goldwing has an onboard compressor for the air suspension and Soichiro Honda in his infinite wisdom put a Schraeder valve on the button panel so you can inflate your own tires anywhere.

It’s amazing

Does your Goldwing have rear air shocks too?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah front and rear are separate adjustments

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s amazing

I really want one now...

What's the best Oldwing (pre-2018)?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 1000’s are now expensive because they are naked bikes and “classic Hondas” in the vein of the cb750. They are also not super great if what you want is a “Goldwing” Goldwing because they were mostly feature, fairing and bag free.

The 1100’s are where the goldwings gained full factory fairings and bags although they could still be had naked. They started coming with radios and basic features at this point. 1100’s are pretty cheap these days and the different trim levels mostly define the type of luggage

The 1200’s are the point where they really started to go all-in on features and also marks the point where you could no longer buy a Goldwing without side and top bags as well as a fairing. For example, my 1986 Aspencade has the aforementioned dual-zone air suspension with external attachment capability, speed sensitive audio, anti dive forks, front and rear comms, adjustable headlight, and auto cancelling turn signals. It’s all really well made as well (it’s an 80’s Honda) and all still works perfect. The different trim levels (LTD, Interstate, Aspencade, SEI) come with different features (like a CB radio on the Interstate), so if there is something you NEED to have, do some research on which trim level(s) comes with it. The 1985 LTD and 1986 SEI are also the first fuel injected Goldwings. It’s the same FI system as they used on their cars, and the TPS is problematic but the same as the one on the Prelude, Civic and other common cars of the era and easily sourced. The fuel injection only ran for one or two years before they went back to carbs. The 1200s can be had pretty cheap. Under $1k for models that need some love (usually a carb cleaning or the like) and up to $2k for good runners.

The 1500s are where I start to get out of my depth, but they continued with carburetors (two instead of four now), moved to a 6 cylinder, as well as keeping on with the relentless march of technology, introducing things like cruise control that reads from the crank shaft for increased accuracy, continued audio improvements, tweaks to final drive, etc. The 1500s were built from 1987-2000, so between that and the different trim levels each year, the array of options is truly dizzying. The prices also vary wildly considering a 1987 in not so great shape will be dirt cheap and a 2000 optioned out in great shape will really hold it’s value.

The 1800’s I know very little about other than they gained fuel injection, more power and some very modern things like onboard GPS and the like.

For the later goldwings I would reference the exhaustingly complete Wikipedia article for all of the minutiae of exactly what year and model does and has what:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Gold_Wing

I will say don’t let mileage scare you. I got my 86 with 64,000 miles on it and it’s mostly indistinguishable from any other 1986 bike with 10,000 miles on it. Everything works and there is nothing really on the bike that I can attribute to high mileage other than wear items like tires and brakes. Goldwings after the 1100 have hydraulic lifters so valve adjustments are a non issue and can go for 100k plus with just basic maintenance. Note that the older wings (1200/1100) will smoke when started if they were parked on their sidestands. The oil moves to the left side of the engine and seeps past the rings a bit making for smoke on start up. The exhausts are linked so you’ll see it out of both pipes.

Other than that it’s normal bike stuff, weird noises, everything working, riding true and straight, stuff like that.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 17, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 1000’s are now expensive because they are naked bikes and “classic Hondas” in the vein of the cb750. They are also not super great if what you want is a “Goldwing” Goldwing because they were mostly feature, fairing and bag free.

The 1100’s are where the goldwings gained full factory fairings and bags although they could still be had naked. They started coming with radios and basic features at this point. 1100’s are pretty cheap these days and the different trim levels mostly define the type of luggage

The 1200’s are the point where they really started to go all-in on features and also marks the point where you could no longer buy a Goldwing without side and top bags as well as a fairing. For example, my 1986 Aspencade has the aforementioned dual-zone air suspension with external attachment capability, speed sensitive audio, anti dive forks, front and rear comms, adjustable headlight, and auto cancelling turn signals. It’s all really well made as well (it’s an 80’s Honda) and all still works perfect. The different trim levels (LTD, Interstate, Aspencade, SEI) come with different features (like a CB radio on the Interstate), so if there is something you NEED to have, do some research on which trim level(s) comes with it. The 1985 LTD and 1986 SEI are also the first fuel injected Goldwings. It’s the same FI system as they used on their cars, and the TPS is problematic but the same as the one on the Prelude, Civic and other common cars of the era and easily sourced. The fuel injection only ran for one or two years before they went back to carbs. The 1200s can be had pretty cheap. Under $1k for models that need some love (usually a carb cleaning or the like) and up to $2k for good runners.

The 1500s are where I start to get out of my depth, but they continued with carburetors (two instead of four now), moved to a 6 cylinder, as well as keeping on with the relentless march of technology, introducing things like cruise control that reads from the crank shaft for increased accuracy, continued audio improvements, tweaks to final drive, etc. The 1500s were built from 1987-2000, so between that and the different trim levels each year, the array of options is truly dizzying. The prices also vary wildly considering a 1987 in not so great shape will be dirt cheap and a 2000 optioned out in great shape will really hold it’s value.

The 1800’s I know very little about other than they gained fuel injection, more power and some very modern things like onboard GPS and the like.

For the later goldwings I would reference the exhaustingly complete Wikipedia article for all of the minutiae of exactly what year and model does and has what:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Gold_Wing

I will say don’t let mileage scare you. I got my 86 with 64,000 miles on it and it’s mostly indistinguishable from any other 1986 bike with 10,000 miles on it. Everything works and there is nothing really on the bike that I can attribute to high mileage other than wear items like tires and brakes. Goldwings after the 1100 have hydraulic lifters so valve adjustments are a non issue and can go for 100k plus with just basic maintenance. Note that the older wings (1200/1100) will smoke when started if they were parked on their sidestands. The oil moves to the left side of the engine and seeps past the rings a bit making for smoke on start up. The exhausts are linked so you’ll see it out of both pipes.

Other than that it’s normal bike stuff, weird noises, everything working, riding true and straight, stuff like that.

Solid post. Thank you.

In the UK, there aren't any 1200s for sale on Autotrader.co.uk and the 3 1500s for sale are £8000, £11000, £13500.

The 1800s start at £6000 and rise rapidly from there.

All a bit rich for my blood, i.e. nothing in the 1 or 2k mark.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:lol: 10000 USD to 17000 USD for a mid 90s oldwing?! :aaaaa:

An excellent mid 1995 1500 Goldwing Aspencade goes for about 3500 USD here. Guess you didn't get many of them, while boomers bought them in droves in USA.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I was gonna say your prices are nuts. They’re very common in the US and accordingly cheap

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bear in mind Autotrader is poo poo for deals, if you want to find the real firesale stuff you've got to go to ebay.

You still won't find cheap goldwings though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d say Facebook Marketplace is the place for deals. I regularly see bikes listed for below market there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

I thought it'd be unrideable at that pressure but I guess not. Just weird and squirrelly. Not going to make that mistake again.

Sounds like a sign because those pressures are just fine for dirt.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Again, even with a title $1500 is not a screaming deal for a nonrunning 2006 ducati. Moreover, I owned a 620ie Monster for all of a week before I sold it because it really was not as good as the Ducati name would suggest.

Like it was super pretty and all, but felt like all the torque was just beyond the end of the tach. Just frustrating to ride.

Unless you intend to make it look like this multi:

Dragging this one over from the what bike to buy thread to continue my ongoing rant about custom bike designers not actually understanding what motorbikes are. Clip-ons, clubman seat and semi-dirt knobbies? Gonna be taking this flat-tracking to the Ace Cafe? Also you know what definitely, 100% improves performance? Really tight bends in the top of the exhaust, just so you can put the silencers in the "gently caress it, they have to go here for the expansion chambers" positions of an 80s two-stroke race bike. Those nice high pegs will definitely help you feel the way the bike handles as that exhaust boils the oil in the rear shock, too.

I know, someone will be along in a while to talk about how custom bikes are artistic pieces, blah blah blah, but that's a copout because all of the custom components are functional - but functional for different, contradictory things. It's not art if all you actually do is copy and paste bits from other bikes that you think look cool and smash them all together, it's just masturbation.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:lol: I didn't even notice the pegs. What is even happening there?!

It looks good with the chonky multi frame, and the colors are excellent. Ergos are totally ridiculous.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

:lol: I didn't even notice the pegs. What is even happening there?!

It looks good with the chonky multi frame, and the colors are excellent. Ergos are totally ridiculous.

It's another cargo-cult thing - sports bikes always had high, rear-set pegs to let you put weight through them more easily, but 80s/90s Japanese bikes took this to a ridiculous extreme as tyre and suspension technology allowed far deeper lean angles, just as chassis design started to tend towards much wider bikes, meaning the only way you could stop the pegs grounding out would be to put them as high up as you could, which also made the "hanging off the side as far as you could" style of the time easier to pull off along with the fat tanks of the era.

On a narrow Italian bike with tyres that will never let you get away with more lean angle than the side stand they're not only pointless they're actively hostile.

e: Having said that, the 900SS infamously had pegs almost as high as that, mainly because Ducati themselves weren't really sure what they were up to, as demonstrated by their loving horrible headlight designs of the time.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 19, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hoo boy. Had a scary one tonight.

I was behind two cars waiting to left turn onto River Street to get onto the Bayview extension, a popular speed demon road here in Toronto. When oncoming traffic cleared, the second car (immediately ahead of me) jumped the gun and made the left turn before the car ahead of them, scaring us all. At the next red light at Bayview, I (did something maybe not so bright and) pulled up next to them on the right to make a "WTF was that" gesture at them. Light turned green and I went ahead of them.

Next thing I knew, they crossed the double-yellow solid line, pulled up on me and swerved into me. I mean, no collision, but it sure felt like they were trying to kill me. I slowed, they brake checked me down to a stop. They got out of their car. Two sketchy, skinny dudes. I didn't have time to hop off and potentially defend myself before they were both menacing and threatening me. I just turned to the car behind and shouted "call the cops!" One of them, in a thick Middle Eastern accent responded "yeah call everybody bro, call gently caress HELICOPTER!" but as quick as it happened they dove back into their car and took off.

That had me real shaken, the entire ride home I was out of it until I saw a really cute puppy outside of a bar patio. Now I'm good.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's another cargo-cult thing - sports bikes always had high, rear-set pegs to let you put weight through them more easily, but 80s/90s Japanese bikes took this to a ridiculous extreme as tyre and suspension technology allowed far deeper lean angles, just as chassis design started to tend towards much wider bikes, meaning the only way you could stop the pegs grounding out would be to put them as high up as you could, which also made the "hanging off the side as far as you could" style of the time easier to pull off along with the fat tanks of the era.

The different Japanese manufacturers have widely-different ergonomics, don't they? It took me a bit to get used to but my Gixxer is actually surprisingly comfortable to ride and I don't feel like I'm going to blow my knees out from putting my toes on the pegs. But I've heard Yamaha sportbikes have waaay higher pegs, is this true?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 21, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Motorcyclist used to have ergo charts which drew a triangle for comparisons showing seat height, peg height and clip on height and reach. I prefer having my sportbikes pegs high as they're the first things to touch down. I'd like it if my stock KTM pegs were higher and my MV Agusta pegs are perfect for me. There's no way the side stand on the MV or to the best of my knowledge any of the older Ducati superbikes would have the side stand touch down first.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Y'all welcome.

I'm 6'4, and there's lots of cars I literally cannot drive, and none of my Yamahas have presented a problem from peg height, including my R1, in fact I did many 200+ mile days on the R1.

My SV650 felt very cramped and awkward, but was rideable.

E: looking at the link I posted, I think the difference was in the gas tank bulge, knees were more bent on the R1, but were locked in to the gas tank, knees on the SV650 came above the bulge, and hit the wide spot, making it feel awkward.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 21, 2020

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I did something maybe not so bright
Yeah, you have nothing to gain from confronting shitheads. Someone acting irrationally on the road isn't going to act rational if stopped either.

If someone drives like an idiot, just keep your distance so you don't end up a victim of their idiocy.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I saw this on Reddit and immediately thought of Slavvy and how he is always correct about KTMs and Huskies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ie2os3/consider_not_purchasing_a_svartpilenvitpilen_401

"Today I opened a 401 Svartpilen out of the crate. It had 3/4 bike information stickers, PSI, clearances, tire/rim size, etc. Peeling off and one cracked when I tried applying it back on. The real grab rail did not fit even close to right, I thought may have been a grab rail defect, so I checked on the next Svartpilen I have grabbed the rail from that, still 5-7mm too short, no bolts will fit. Not to mention the temporary bolts in place of the grab rail/ bolts were torqued on and crushed a part of the plastic."

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol indian KTMs are and will always be turds

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That'll never not be sad because the Svart has like the only naked bike aesthetic I can readily identify as liking. I'm sure there are others but when I say I don't generally like naked bikes that's the one exception I always name.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
'pilen 401 isn't significantly different aesthetically from a CB300R with a tail tidy

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean yeah they are both naked standards with two wheels and a seat, but the comparison kinda stops there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
More like fart spillin' amirite.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Steakandchips posted:

I saw this on Reddit and immediately thought of Slavvy and how he is always correct about KTMs and Huskies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ie2os3/consider_not_purchasing_a_svartpilenvitpilen_401

"Today I opened a 401 Svartpilen out of the crate. It had 3/4 bike information stickers, PSI, clearances, tire/rim size, etc. Peeling off and one cracked when I tried applying it back on. The real grab rail did not fit even close to right, I thought may have been a grab rail defect, so I checked on the next Svartpilen I have grabbed the rail from that, still 5-7mm too short, no bolts will fit. Not to mention the temporary bolts in place of the grab rail/ bolts were torqued on and crushed a part of the plastic."
I worry less about the load bearing stickers than the headgasket that loves to fail.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

More like fart spillin' amirite.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

'pilen 401 isn't significantly different aesthetically from a CB300R with a tail tidy

...yeah, not seeing it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Svarpilen looks cool as gently caress, with crazy tank finishes, and exposed mechanicals that are aesthetically pleasing on their own.

The CB300R looks like someone scaled up the cheapest, shittiest toy they could find while searching "motorcycle" on Amazon.

Y'all are on crack if you think those two bikes look equally as good.

E: THEY WRAPPED THE MUFFLER IN PLASTIC!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the CBRs are boring to ride and look at

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I think the CB is a decent-looking bike, but honestly I couldn't give a rat's tuchis about a bike's appearance. Would much rather ride a fun ugly bike than a boring pretty one.

That being said I love Japanese bikes bc I want to work on my bike when I WANT to work on it, not because I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had an epiphany the other day. I’m also very laser focused on my bikes being reliable, to the point that I’ve sold them for perceived unreliability, even just a little bit, and I finally figured out why, the root cause.

Story time.

My first bike was an Arctic Cat 50cc minibike with a Sachs motor. It made me fall in love with riding and made me realize that I never wanted to not be riding.

It was also supremely, unfathomably unreliable. The primary culprit was the pull start recoil. The spring would break and the pull cord would fail to wind back up so if you didn’t start it on the first try you were boned when the recoil spring went. And it always went.

It was also unreliable in that it would sometimes randomly stall and being an automatic, it could do that at 15mph and the motor would just quit, no bump starting it. This was all of course pre-internet, so there was no forum full of boomer Arctic Cat greybeards waiting with the perfect fix for the recoil issue, you just fixed it and waited.

My parents lived on a street with a dead end and acres upon acres of forest at the end of the street. It was privately owned but we asked the owner if I could ride on it and he said as long as I didn’t intentionally ruin anything, I could have the whole thing for riding (this was the 80’s and apparently we were all much less lawsuit-prone)

So every time the bike stalled and the pull starter broke, it was time to push that thing a mile or more over hills, through mud, weeds, trees and heat in dirt bike gear. I hated it. I was an only child and it was the 80’s so my parents were back at home doing I guess coke or whatever and the only other kid I knew with a mini bike was for some unknowable reason not into riding it so I always rode alone. It was on me to get the bike home. I HAD to ride though, so I toughed it out.

Then, down the road I got a Yamaha 360 RT3, a real ripper of an enduro known nowadays (remember, no internet back then) for endless hot starting problems. The 360 was faaaaaast. So I crashed and stalled a lot. And couldn’t get it started when it was hot. Back to doing the arctic cat walk of shame. It got so bad on the 360 that I just rode it super conservatively so I wouldn’t drop it and/or stall it and could keep it running. Pissed me off to no end.

Then Craigslist came about eventually and I bought and flipped bikes for a living for a while. I realized that I could make bikes extremely reliable, assuming they could be made reliable at all. I learned to recognize good engineering and reliable engineering and how to keep it that way.

I never looked back. The PTSD from pushing hot heavy
bikes out of hot, cramped forest day after day because it was the trade off I made in order to ride for a bit never left me.

Thanks for being so patient in this Burger King drive thru

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 28, 2020