Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Magil Zeal posted:

Regencies were boring and I won't miss them if they're gone

I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to rework them somehow, because yeah they were both really annoying/boring (playing as the child) and yet somehow also really ineffective and useless (if you somehow lucked into being the regent). That said, if they had actually done a major rework of that I have to assume it would have been more prominent in the dev diaries/etc.

My guess is that they'll be broadly similar to the previous game but shown in a different place as part of the UI streamlining (it is not incredibly relevant to an outsider precisely who a regent is because all diplomatic interactions still go through the child and come "from" the child, so moving the display from the character screen to the council screen makes sense), but they're a basic enough concept that I really doubt they've been entirely removed.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I still fondly remember the genius peasant woman I took as a concubine/spymaster and, after I died and she became regent, proceeded to award herself my lands until she was the largest landowner in the scandinavian empire. Once I came of age I took almost all of them back but left her one since I had to respect the hustle.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

I still fondly remember the genius peasant woman I took as a concubine/spymaster and, after I died and she became regent, proceeded to award herself my lands until she was the largest landowner in the scandinavian empire. Once I came of age I took almost all of them back but left her one since I had to respect the hustle.

I don't think I've ever seen a regent assign tiles away from me. Is this actually possible, or a mod thing?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

abrosheen posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a regent assign tiles away from me. Is this actually possible, or a mod thing?

It was vanilla. There was definitely an event that happened where they could take a county, which I assume activated based on intrigue, since hers was really high and it triggered several times over my lengthy regency.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
There also used to be an event where your regent would humiliate you in events, each more horrible than the last. It culminated in someone else getting rid of the regent on your behalf only to take his place. It's been years since I've seen that particular chain so I think they removed it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Vichan posted:

There also used to be an event where your regent would humiliate you in events, each more horrible than the last. It culminated in someone else getting rid of the regent on your behalf only to take his place. It's been years since I've seen that particular chain so I think they removed it.

they're trying to murder you and it's still in, though its been a bit since i got it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

abrosheen posted:

I’ve had this happen to me too. She took a few of my castles as a bonus for being my regent for 10 years. Naturally I had her blinded.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

a fatguy baldspot posted:

they're trying to murder you and it's still in, though its been a bit since i got it.

That one was for child rules, right? This one was for incapable rulers and all your choices were variations of *gurgle*

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

That’s the chain where they eventually turn into a murderous lunatic screaming “Why won’t you die!?!” or something when their Wile E Coyote plans keep failing, right?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Those are fun. I just got locked into a tower until I starved to death.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I do like how one of the events is to just push your regent to their death.

Also had the event one time where my character was regent for a couple different rulers and after 20 or so years the event popped just offering said character the throne after declaring the sitting child-ruler incompetent. Easiest empire takeover ever.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The hard part about regency mechanics design, IMO, is that on one hand all this cool poo poo is really rare and a player regent can't meaningfully influence or initiate it since it's driven by MTTH events, but on the other hand turning it into something a player can control risks making it really frustrating to be the target of from the AI (see, seduction), and players are going to be child rulers way more often than they will be regents for other child rulers.

So I get why CK2 overcorrected in the direction of "boring and rare" but now that the topic comes up I wonder how CK3 will treat it and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned much. Maybe regents will get access to special schemes to do this sort of thing?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Episode 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhxqsWQgOvE

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

At the very least, this does show there was no regency when the king went on a pilgrimage.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I managed to escape Gavelkind, instead choosing Seniority - which was almost a loving disaster as I had like half a dozen cousins from my horny gently caress of a grandfather in line for the throne before me. So naturally, I had them all murdered, or executed, leaving my perfect son in line for the throne of the Satanic Empire, which now has expanded into Spain.

I've managed to expand the worship of Satan into three counties!

And now I'm loving around with trying to kill the sons of the King of Jerusalem, the victor of the children's crusade, so I can marry one of his daughters to my son. Not easy!

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 14, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

I feel like it's probably too easy to get all of a rival king's dukes to just.... Help a foreign power kidnap their king

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think one of the interesting aspects of CK is because you only ever directly manage 10 or so counties at max, no matter how big your empire gets, the map never feels "too big" because you aren't having to micromanage more and more territory that you don't really care about beyond the fact that it makes more money flow in. The thing that makes TW games slog as you get bigger is the need to constantly order more and more armies around and manage more and more build queues for towns, which is why often people just come up with some sort of template that they will slap down everywhere and that raises the question of if there's no interesting decisions to be made, why can't I just automate it? The fact that CK is all about delegation makes it very unique and also keeps it from suffering this issue - if you find you have too many vassals and it's getting annoying to manage them all, you can always consolidate them under a king. Of course this carries risks because one very strong vassal is more dangerous than a bunch of weak ones, but that's what makes it an interesting decision.

Just want to point out that holding management was indeed handled very well in CK2. And even if you play a merchant republic, where you can have many more holdings than any other government form, there were still measures taken to make management less onerous. Trade posts only had three building chains, with only two upgrades each (except Silk Road and African trade posts which were added later, but those are rarely coastal, and also contain 6 building chains at most). And even though you're making GBS threads gold and tempted to build more and more trade posts, it's not that easy, because you also have a trade post limit.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I feel like it's probably too easy to get all of a rival king's dukes to just.... Help a foreign power kidnap their king

It's probably too easy when that foreign power and their spymaster are both prescripted to be huge intrigue experts and the king is unpopular in their court, but I hope that won't be too common a set of circumstances.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Veryslightlymad posted:

It seemed like they were lucky the king had done something that made all his vassals hate him. Even without the kidnapping he was getting major revolts.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 14, 2020

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKQUVleGRk

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Is there anywhere with collected information on the lifestyle trees? I know the dev diaries showed off some of it, but not the entire tree

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

Is there anywhere with collected information on the lifestyle trees? I know the dev diaries showed off some of it, but not the entire tree

They did do full details on the entire trees at one point:

Intrigue
Stewardship
Learning
Diplomacy
Martial

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I decided to play a merchant republic game, because we won't be able to play them for a while in CK3. I booted up the game, decided on where I wanted to play (Morocco), loaded up the char... and quit after playing for 5 minutes. I was constantly thinking "man, this will be so much better in CK3, can't wait to play it".

Those amazing previews ruined CK2 for me :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I love how 'smooth' everything feels.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Is there any sort of PG-13 patch? Would like to try and use CK2 as a teaching tool with a group of high-flying HS students now that it's F2P and we are doing distance education, but would like to sweep the seduction/sadistic violence stuff off the table.

Alternatively, if there is anyone who'd be willing to code one for me, give me an idea of how long it might take and what you'd be looking to charge.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Vichan posted:

I love how 'smooth' everything feels.

2020 is the year when Paradox learned about animation in UI

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is there any sort of PG-13 patch? Would like to try and use CK2 as a teaching tool with a group of high-flying HS students now that it's F2P and we are doing distance education, but would like to sweep the seduction/sadistic violence stuff off the table.

Alternatively, if there is anyone who'd be willing to code one for me, give me an idea of how long it might take and what you'd be looking to charge.

But that was the best part of learning about that era!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

verbal enema posted:

But that was the best part of learning about that era!

Yeah, I just don't want to deal with parent emails about how their kid now thinks adultry is Cool and Good (bonus if said parent's marriage ended in infidelity).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pompous Rhombus posted:

As far as I know there isn’t; however, you might ask Paradox directly about this. I feel like they would be kind of excited about their game being used as a teaching tool.

I would also tell you EUIV is way more PG-13 and can be kind of educational as well, depending on what period you are teaching... but then again, EUIV does allow you to essentially simulate genocide.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
would Crusader Kings III be a good time to get into this series? not sure what the quality is of these games are on launch. Paradox games seem to vary widely for me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CK3 is looking very good and is cheaper to buy than CK2 + dlc, but it's smarter to at least wait for early goon word of mouth if you're worried about it. Paradox games vary in quality on launch but CK2 at least was good from the beginning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eonwe posted:

would Crusader Kings III be a good time to get into this series? not sure what the quality is of these games are on launch. Paradox games seem to vary widely for me

Crusader Kings 2 had probably the best launch of any Paradox game. Other games were usually worse on release, some drastically so (especially earlier titles).

CK3 looks really, really good. But we obviously don't know how good it will be on release. That said, this looks to be the newbie friendliest Paradox game, with a lot of good in-game documentation and tooltips. And it's the start of a new Paradox game in the age of several years of DLCs per game. Quite a few posters were overwhelmed with CK2's feature density when they jumped into it later, this will not be an issue now.

This probably is the best time to get into the series, but if you're unsure about the quality at launch, you can also just wait a month and read goon feedback :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sweet, thanks folks! I think I'm just gonna end up getting it and seeing how it goes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
CK2 is the best paradox game ever, but is hard to recommend to anyone now

The base game is cheap (or free?) but to have the complete experience of it is very expensive cause it requires many DLCs. And now the we are almost at CK3, I would recommend wait for it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I forgot they went free to play. Might as well try out 2 and see if you like the basic concept.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
At one point there was also a humble bundle with the game and all DLC for like 15 bucks or something, that was when I and probably a fair amount of other people finally got onboard. Obviously it was to increase the playerbase for CK3 which wasn't announced yet back then.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mantis42 posted:

I forgot they went free to play. Might as well try out 2 and see if you like the basic concept.

uh i dunno seems crazy to start playing ck2 when ck3 is 15 days away

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Is the plan for CK3 to release a new 20$ DLC 4 times a year or is it going to be priced in a sane way?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Is the plan for CK3 to release a new 20$ DLC 4 times a year or is it going to be priced in a sane way?

Probably $20 DLC 4 times a year, because... well suckers like 2/3rds of this thread—myself included—will spend the money on 4 DLCs per year. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CK3 will be on Game Pass for launch, so I recommend just subbing to that for a month ($1 if you haven't done it before) and giving CK3 a spin for free if you're on the fence.