Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Took a look at that video. #1 is the most bizarre design I've seen. Who allowed this?! And the one for Artemis is also wtf.

#2 will shock you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

What kind of monster puts Mara in a video with that title?

Man That must’ve been hard... :haw:

Anyway, I Restarted Persona 3 (Portable in this case) because I’m impatient and can’t wait for Nocturne and V to drop. Also need to actually beat it this time (only got to the second months boss last time) For anyone who has played Portable Vs FES am I the only one who’s finding portable a lot easier then FES? I have only died once (Death spawned RIGHT NEXT TO ME on a treasure floor :argh: ) and I’m not getting nailed as hard as I did in FES. It just feels more forgiving then it did on the PS2

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Are you controlling your teammates? Because that will definitely make it easier.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Armor-Piercing posted:

Are you controlling your teammates? Because that will definitely make it easier.

Nope they are doing their own thing

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Playing 4A for the first time, and (7/8) does casting makarakarn specifically piss Odin off? he went elec pierce, concentrate, thunder reign and killed all 3 of my demons. then he lost the 1v2 to nanashi + isabeau so I didn't get a chance to retry.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I saw this image in an article about 70s sci fi and thought of all those poor soldiers who died in a teleport maze on their way back from Russia

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Marie is definitely the best in this list that I know of.

And Miyako is absolutely the worst. I love Devil Survivor 2 but Triangulum was the most awful, unnecessary fanfiction ever. It did nothing for the characters; in fact it made them worse given how Yamato is now just a generic nice guy. I also really hate when a game gives you multiple endings and then is just like 'nah, all your endings are stupid, here's theREAL ending tgat was totally impossible to achieve in the game. Hope you had fun wasting your time."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 16, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

And Minako is absolutely the worst.

Buh????????

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, for the millionth loving time, Troy Baker was still Kanji in Golden

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

Buh????????

That was supposed to be Miyako, as in Miyako Hotsuin from Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker.

My bad for the typo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Kanji only got replaced starting from Ultimax (so I think that only extends to Persona Q and DAN). He does take over for Animation, but I think that was before Arena?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kasumi's probably the best implementation but that's like an eventual thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought everyone hated Marie just because she existed? Did opinions change since P4G came out?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

People have realized that Marie is good and her only sin is that she probably shouldn't be the last person to encourage you during the final boss

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She's a tsundere and has the 8th grader disease-level poetry, she's great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gotta love those instant slammed opinions. I remember prelaunch when i followed the megaten thread the majority opinion was "She's a stupid character with a stupid design. How can they just add a whole new person in and pretend she was there all along?"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Len posted:

I thought everyone hated Marie just because she existed? Did opinions change since P4G came out?
Her poetry still blows and I never cared for tying an entire bonus dungeon to a character I don't care for so no, I still don't really care for Marie.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
TBF, I was in that camp mostly out of ignorance because I already felt like she was an annoying hanger-on shoved in because... well, you got invested in the scooby gang Investigation Team! gently caress, I wanted to be a proper big brother for Nanako. I wanted Kanji to love himself! You're telling me to get invested in the story all over again?! gently caress you! gently caress YOU!

... and then I played the game. I got a Japanese version for like 10 bucks and I was like "Oh, gently caress you. No, gently caress you... no, don't do this to me".

Yes, she wasn't super perfectly integrated, but I actually developed a sense of attachment with the Hot-Topic-looking dumbass. So she's great for me now.

I bet if I play P5Royal, I'm going to fall in love with the skate-dancing lass. Hell, it happened with Fire Emblem Gaiden. When I first played the game back in the late 00's/early 10's, I felt loving nothing! Sure, the music is fun for a NES game and it wasn't "like the other FE games", but that's it. Then I played Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, and, warts and all, I fell in love with the cast and now it's my 2nd favorite game in the series after Genealogy of the Holy War.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

NikkolasKing posted:

And Miyako is absolutely the worst. I love Devil Survivor 2 but Triangulum was the most awful, unnecessary fanfiction ever. It did nothing for the characters; in fact it made them worse given how Yamato is now just a generic nice guy. I also really hate when a game gives you multiple endings and then is just like 'nah, all your endings are stupid, here's theREAL ending tgat was totally impossible to achieve in the game. Hope you had fun wasting your time."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hilarious thing about that image is that it lists "replace Troy Baker with Matt Mercer" as a criteria at all, because while that absolutely happened with the second half of the P4 anime and the spin-offs after Ultimax, neither of the games Baker starred in on that graphic replaced him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

...but... but Dante's neither a girl, or Troy Baker.

Raidou is Matt Mercer, though. So they got that part.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I wasn't even expecting much out of Tokyo Mirage Sessions but it still has managed to be wildly disappointing in the early goings.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

got filtered out by Zeus in WoG, ehhhh just too much damage output and dont have enough party-wide healing items (and im probably underleveled), but dont really feel like grinding things out, doesn't sound fun

gonna look up the endings on youtube and try out SMT IV Apocalypse next

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The extra dungeon for Marie wasn't even that bad in the grand scheme of things, but having the SP gimmick is enough to gently caress with some people. As for her writing, it's whatever. I don't really have a reason to hate her.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it kinda shatters the whole "everything's all fine and normal" vibe at the end when you have a girl that can control the weather just hanging around

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NikkolasKing posted:

The Etrian Odyssey examples are weird since the Untold remakes added an entire party's worth of new main characters (as opposed to fully customizable generics that act like silent protagonists), not just one girl.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Len posted:

Gotta love those instant slammed opinions. I remember prelaunch when i followed the megaten thread the majority opinion was "She's a stupid character with a stupid design. How can they just add a whole new person in and pretend she was there all along?"

this but chie VA

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Clarste posted:

The Etrian Odyssey examples are weird since the Untold remakes added an entire party's worth of new main characters (as opposed to fully customizable generics that act like silent protagonists), not just one girl.

Best girl is the Canadian Racoon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Krishna is as much a roadblock as ever. Level 60 on my Apocalypse run and he is just demolishing my generic team. This will require a special team and a decent bit of preparation.

The game knows that most demons that Null Force or Electric are simultaneously weak to the other one so Krishna seems specially made to gently caress you over and prevent you from ending his turn prematurely.

And he loves to quickly murder Hallelujah. Even if he doesn't, my buddy likes to just randomly cast Enduring Cheer instead of the ailment ward because...I don't even know why. I could have sworn we were all at full HP.

I was content to just give up on fusing Alice because I could not find a Hairy Jack but gently caress it... she has the best Dark spell in the game and apparently resists ailments. I might have to fuse her or just go with Anubis as planned.

I don't wanna level grind but something really loving stupid about the battle system is how it tells you nothing about what skills your demons learn. Oh, it's got the "passive icon". That really narrows it down. My point is, I don't wanna level grind but short of just looking it all up, that is literally the only way to find out what demons learn what. And that's moronic. My preparations are severely limited by what I remember from my first run and the game not telling me what demons learn so I have to just hope a demon I fuse and grind with learns something that will be beneficial in this super hard boss fight.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And I won! Level 61 with Anubis as I was hoping. The RNG gods were kind to me and a lot of his ailments missed me. Then again, I have been investing in Luck all game because it's supposed to have something to do with resisting ailments so maybe I literally just got lucky...through strategy and planning. Oh well.

I used up a lot of precious items but I don't think I'll need those Mudoon stones ever again. And the Chakra Pots...it's been infuriating me I can only hold 10 and I just have to leave them lying around. Well, I can go replenish my stock at Ginza and the world map, I remember at least those two and maybe one or two more that I just left due to stock limit. I suppose it's both a challenge and a blessing.

What bugs me is I don't see ailment resistances. Some demons have innate ailment resistance but I don't see where on their status screen it's supposed to be? That might have helped some..

Also Hallelujah will absolutely use Enduring Cheer even if you are all at 100^ HP. Come on my dude, that was a big reason the fight was so hard. Also Krishna must have a low amount of HP because I didn't have time for Dekundas, I was too busy trying to stay alive. As a result, Anubis won the day by doing 150, maybe 300 damage over and over and over again.

On a gameplay meeting story front however, my buddies did loads of damage and saved my rear end a couple times. The Anarchy route is so unbelievably counter to the themes nd ideas of the game. Those themes and ideas are expertly reinforced in every aspect of Apocalypse, from its gameplay mechanics to the plot. I can't help but think siding with Dagda is both incredibly immoral and hypocritical. I guess you could theoretically be a dickhead in these scenes and moments but....why would anyone handicap themselves like that, even a selfish prick?.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I see people are still clinging to P5 in the Switch

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/persona-5-royal-nintendo-switch-port-leak

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I pity these people for not recognizing and accepting that they're getting the better fifth Atlus game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's some Amazon leaps of logic

"Oh this content was cut"
"It must be for a Switch port"

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Marie's fine, but she reminds me of fanfiction. fanfic of anything. like whoever handled her segments and dialogue and character arcs was writing for the first time ever, and their entire literary intake before that was fanfiction of stuff they liked.

it's extremely jarring, made worse by how prominent she is in Golden. It's not at all like Adachi's s-link which is just bad because it's boring and disrespectful of my time (like plenty of the s-links) or like Royal's content which, while not flawless, integrated much better and added a useful element to the original story.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

What bugs me is I don't see ailment resistances. Some demons have innate ailment resistance but I don't see where on their status screen it's supposed to be? That might have helped some..

In the party menu, when you're selecting a demon, it's on the lower screen, with the information about how their normal attack works.

It's really dumb.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I love golden but Marie is incredibly annoying and only gets worse with how the game pushes her. Her dungeon was rad though

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cleretic posted:

I pity these people for not recognizing and accepting that they're getting the better fifth Atlus game.

I mean.

They could just do both.

It is kind of genuinely dumb to release the game that's effectively Persona 5-2 on a system where you can't play Persona 5.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Persona 4 Golden is on Steam so quite literally anything is possible in this crazy world of ours now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give me the P2 duology on steam dammit.

Both in english.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

In the party menu, when you're selecting a demon, it's on the lower screen, with the information about how their normal attack works.

It's really dumb.

Oh wow, there it is. Thanks so much. I was so busy looking at the one screen with the skill affinities because I just figured it would be over there.

Anyway, that is 4/8 done. Talk about one helluva gauntlet of both plot and gameplay. But now Toki has for real joined up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3dA7Hl4ZwA

Now this feels like a proper Persona game.

Also huge story spoilers
I never figured out Flynn was Shesha in my first run. I figured there was something funny going on once you get to the fight with Lucifer and Merkabah but right from the beginning there's all sorts of warning signs. He won't take the katana, he can see Navarre while Flynn explicitly could not before, and probably a few other hints, all within a short span of time.