Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Saw an arena tourney pop up. Those things are solidly lategame. Three decently hard fights in a row, with no downtime?

Yeah gently caress that. Maybe with a monolith capable clearing company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

There are some weird things going on. I had an arena fight with a hedge Knight and some raiders (why the gently caress ever fight a hedge Knight without taking his poo poo srsly.)

And raider with a two hand axe was perfectly happy to do round swing with the hedge Knight in his range. Popped round swing twice, it didn't do anything but I'm not sure ever ever seen non ranged friendly fire from the AI before.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've seen them do it a few times, but only when it'll benefit them more than you.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a way to go into game files and mod the starts? Basically I want any company to max out at 18/27 bros. I have too much fun with human wave tactics.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So what do you do when none of the nearby towns will offer any contracts, or only 2 skull contracts near the start of the game?

I went further afield and the outer towns won't offer any contracts due to renown, so now I'm just wandering around the wilderness looking for fights which feels like a huge waste.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Holy poo poo southern armies do not gently caress around. The mass debuffs from bombs, firearms, and gunners using overwhelm/fearsome on your whole company at once, the high amount of AOE attacks from gunners and warscythes, what seems like high stats on basically all of them except indebted (I got a high-level, unique armour and unique 2H hammer bro in close to a gunner to stop him from shooting me anymore, and he promptly pulled out a mace, dodged all my attacks, and beat me to death), and the fact that they literally all have Nimble which means they take forever to die, it's a brutal combo. I took a Holy War mission to defend a town against raiders and got put up against three of these fights in a row within about half a day, with what seemed like a pretty well-prepared company, and got absolutely wrecked.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Towns don’t lock their contracts behind renown; forts do.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
To be fair, forts do look a lot like towns when you're zoomed out

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Probably better not to do a southern start right off the bat - do something you’re familiar with so that you’ve got some levels under your belt before you venture south.

I have a 32-day game going in the DLC now and yeah this is the key. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to survive the first few days in the South other than a Gladiator start, but the balance of power really flips around when you get up and running. Nomads are hilariously easy to slaughter once your team has enough melee skill to offset their high defense. Serpents can't do much to higher level brothers, Hyenas are just tougher wolves and I've fought a handful of Ifrits but they die incredibly fast and I don't think they've ever landed a single hit on any of my brothers. They just gather themselves up then fling themselves and scatter across my line and I clean them all up before they get another turn.

Consistently, if I bring any new recruits out in the desert, they die almost immediately. But nothing stands a chance against my 3 level 10 gladiators.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 16, 2020

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A two-tiered setup to your company at the start is kinda interesting, ie you split recruits into guys you wanna keep and guys you don't, and differentiate them visually somehow - I give the chaff the worst available armor, small shields and daggers. Enemies seem to tend to go for guys they can most reliably hit / kill, which takes a lot of heat off your other guys, and the difficulty progression also seems to be skewed in your favor, idk if it's all the guys you're losing or what. The lovely backgrounds cost 40 bucks to recruit, that's less than a dog, and you can control them in the battle. One of my dudes has survivor and is on his fourth permanent injury.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm on day 60 now with peasants. have 13 men; still haven't found anyone good enough to be 2h front line; and although I have 4 ranged dudes none of them are good enough to be archers - I've got 2 throwing dudes and 2 gunners. Currently also have 2 polearm dudes with the new swordlances as well as a sergeant and a third polearm bro that are currently doing duty as shieldbros in the front line until I can find more men good enough for the front line. A couple of my front liners are in big boy armour but the rest of them are in 110 mail.

Swordlances are basically as good as warscythes but with more durability so you don't have to carry a second polearm any more. Having access to that back line AOE super early in the game is extremely powerful; but handgonnes are absolutely busted beyond belief. I'm pretty sure their existence is the reason the new beasts are so tough and beasts in general attack in larger packs now.

Highlights of the past few fights:

battle against 25 nachzehrers - my two guns cut them to shreds and routed them (and I haven't even started putting fearsome or overwhelm on the gunners yet). My guns were so effective that in this fight against 25 nachzehrers I lost a whopping 6 hitpoints across my entire company.

I've also had great success against hyenas, and zombies. Anything that attacks you in a massed clump and has minimal armour basically doesn't stand a chance.

victrix posted:

So what do you do when none of the nearby towns will offer any contracts, or only 2 skull contracts near the start of the game?

I went further afield and the outer towns won't offer any contracts due to renown, so now I'm just wandering around the wilderness looking for fights which feels like a huge waste.

Only forts are locked - towns and cities will give you contracts. The skull value of a contract isn't absolute, it's relative to your level, there's no reason not to take 2 skull contracts even very early in the game as long as you aren't literally running around with clubs and rags.

aphid_licker posted:

A two-tiered setup to your company at the start is kinda interesting, ie you split recruits into guys you wanna keep and guys you don't, and differentiate them visually somehow - I give the chaff the worst available armor, small shields and daggers. Enemies seem to tend to go for guys they can most reliably hit / kill, which takes a lot of heat off your other guys, and the difficulty progression also seems to be skewed in your favor, idk if it's all the guys you're losing or what. The lovely backgrounds cost 40 bucks to recruit, that's less than a dog, and you can control them in the battle. One of my dudes has survivor and is on his fourth permanent injury.

This is a waste of XP though; I think it will harm you in the long run - plus as discussed the difficulty scaling is heavily influenced by the number of men in your company so if you fill your ranks with poo poo the game will amp up the difficulty and your men won't be good enough to cope.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Seeing their new friends getting butchered all the time probably won’t help your bros’ morale

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

victrix posted:

lmfao

I had a dude standing on a small rise against two bandits, one with a two hander. All off a sudden the second bandits head pops off. I had to open the combat log to figure out what happened. I guess bandits don't much care about whacking their bros :v:
I've had a shocking amount of brigands shoot their own guys to death lately.

It WAS irritating in the previous expansions/base game where brigands just seemingly could completely ignore not having shots and just hit you 90% of the time anyway- so it's nice seeing them take these absolute bullshit shots and accidentally kill their friends with a crossbow bolt to the back of the head.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

This is a waste of XP though; I think it will harm you in the long run - plus as discussed the difficulty scaling is heavily influenced by the number of men in your company so if you fill your ranks with poo poo the game will amp up the difficulty and your men won't be good enough to cope.

Can you waste XP? The game seems to sorta scale with me no matter what I do. Not clear on the mechanics, just going by gut feel, so if this is wrong pls set me straight. You gotta cap the number of chaff ofc, just maintain it at like four guys.

Jay Rust posted:

Seeing their new friends getting butchered all the time probably won’t help your bros’ morale

Ya it's giving them a bit of a hit, but nothing that's not manageable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The xp you earn is divided amongst your men. If you have more men in the company; they will level up more slowly which in the long run will put you behind in the difficulty curve. By hiring trash you are making the game more difficult faster but the men in your company aren’t good enough to keep up. If you only hire the very best and grow your company slowly you’ll get ahead of the difficulty curve (as long as you don’t go too slow). You’ll have fewer men; but they’ll be much more powerful and the fame will throw smaller groups at you because you have fewer men.

The early game experience of lone wolf vs peasant starts is a textbook example of this concept.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

The xp you earn is divided amongst your men. If you have more men in the company; they will level up more slowly which in the long run will put you behind in the difficulty curve. By hiring trash you are making the game more difficult faster but the men in your company aren’t good enough to keep up. If you only hire the very best and grow your company slowly you’ll get ahead of the difficulty curve (as long as you don’t go too slow). You’ll have fewer men; but they’ll be much more powerful and the fame will throw smaller groups at you because you have fewer men.

The early game experience of lone wolf vs peasant starts is a textbook example of this concept.

I guess my question is what does the difficulty curve depend on? If it depends on cumulative XP I've generated or days passed obviously I can fall behind the curve, but if it just depends on my current power level I can't, and it always sorta felt that it was kinda the latter, but I may be wrong.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Okay so add Lindwurms on the list of things that whips are super useful against. This is so blindingly obvious in hindsight, I have no idea why I didn't think of it before. Tie them up with a few shieldbros, then have a few bros with whips and Overwhelm absolutely tank their accuracy. And once you've plinked their armor off with bows and polearms, those bleeds will add the hell up.

gently caress I love whips.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

I guess my question is what does the difficulty curve depend on? If it depends on cumulative XP I've generated or days passed obviously I can fall behind the curve, but if it just depends on my current power level I can't, and it always sorta felt that it was kinda the latter, but I may be wrong.

There are 3 influencing factors. Number of bros in your company is the largest; the other two are days elapsed and total levels of your bros I don’t recall the exact formula but each bro adds a large base number of points to the calculation then extra for every level they’ve earned.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

There are 3 influencing factors. Number of bros in your company is the largest; the other two are days elapsed and total levels of your bros I don’t recall the exact formula but each bro adds a large base number of points to the calculation then extra for every level they’ve earned.

Many thanks! So in terms of days elapsed I can absolutely fall behind the curve.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

First fight against alps went... ok?

First fight against Goblins did not. How dangerous could they be? Very, is the answer.

So assuming I'm playing neither ironman nor reloading after every death, what level of attrition is acceptable? Am I just totally hosed if any of my higher level bros die, or can I keep making progress even with the occasional loss or two?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

victrix posted:

First fight against alps went... ok?

First fight against Goblins did not. How dangerous could they be? Very, is the answer.

So assuming I'm playing neither ironman nor reloading after every death, what level of attrition is acceptable? Am I just totally hosed if any of my higher level bros die, or can I keep making progress even with the occasional loss or two?

Learn the difference between a replaceable bro and an "unreplacable" bro. Brand new thief with 1-2 stars in the right places? Has potential and you'd like to keep him. Raider with 3 star MA/MD? Nigh irreplaceable. The later in the game you get, the more acceptable the margin is because of the strength of your other bros, equipment and money to fill gaps.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

victrix posted:

Battle Brothers Goblins are such total little assholes, it's wonderful.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I like this game but I've never finished it. I'm just too bad, I play until day 25-50 then get wrecked. I play with most of the easy settings turned on. Anyway, so far I've bought all of the DLC but the frozen north (or whatever) one didn't seem to add much. Is the new one better? Or did the free patch add most of the improvements? Would getting the DLC make the game harder or easier?

That said, I've never used a 'trade loop seed' before and a lot of you seem to do that, maybe that's the reason I've never had a good game. I always am super low on money which is probably my main problem. I'll hold on to things to sell them and never get a halfway decent price. Do the seeds make the same maps (mostly) between all the versions, or if someone posts a seed here does it normally only work for specific combinations of DLC?

The 'best' game ender I had was when I went against some bandit troupe that had a one-kill-every-turn head lopper guy with a billhook or whatever it's called (glaive thing). He just lopped ALL of the heads. I also don't appreciate the necromancers in swamps. That loving sucks! At least in my most recent game I was actually able to kill a necromancer for the first time.

edit: I never reload so IDK if I select 'iron man' or not, but I do play that way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone found a map seed where all three Southern cities have ports? I'd love to try a Manhunter run where I can actually easily get to the only 3 places that sell Indebted

I'm currently using 3portsplz which ironically gives me two southern cities with ports.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Night10194 posted:

Battle Brothers Goblins are such total little assholes, it's wonderful.

Every other games goblins: we are free experience pretty much.

Battle Bros Goblins: You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I've been doing a barbarian start with the three starting barbros specced into initiative/dodge/relentless/nimble/overwhelm based duelists and they kick so much rear end that I'm wondering if the full company of full plate 2hander shitkickers is even the overall best choice. What if you just went hard on initiative, always going first in a round and debuffing the poo poo out of everything?

I'm picturing a peasant army of gamblers, thieves and ratcatchers, with two spear masters on the flanks and four indom tanks in the center, with three overwhelm/fearsome gunners and a bow sniper behind them, and four duelists + two polearms to chop up the helpless opposition.

God I wish the game had an arena mode where you could create company loadouts and play against selected opponents.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i just ran into my first necromancer and good god what a fuckin nightmare

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Those polehammers the southern guys like to use are loving brutal.

Bro with 250 armour? They don't give a gently caress, they're gunna crush through and cause an injury every fight regardless. If they have more than two and I can't get to them i just retreat and bail on the contract. gently caress that.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
How are people getting the Gladiator start to work?

I'm finding it really hard to get off the ground financially. Their salaries and fancy food burn through money so fast that anything that takes more than a couple of days (quests, trade routes, exploring) quickly turns into a net loss and hiring a Bro who sucks or gets eaten by Snakes in his first fight is a catastrophic setback.

The Arena seems like the answer to this at first, but since it produces no loot while damaging your gear and Bros, it feels like a lot of the profits go right back into maintenance and waiting.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Do the arena, have a start where the southern city is close enough that you can do the odd job in the non-desert where you won't get punked by 21 ghouls on day 10.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Avasculous posted:

How are people getting the Gladiator start to work?

I'm finding it really hard to get off the ground financially. Their salaries and fancy food burn through money so fast that anything that takes more than a couple of days (quests, trade routes, exploring) quickly turns into a net loss and hiring a Bro who sucks or gets eaten by Snakes in his first fight is a catastrophic setback.

The Arena seems like the answer to this at first, but since it produces no loot while damaging your gear and Bros, it feels like a lot of the profits go right back into maintenance and waiting.

I just stayed in the city and didn't do anything except the one arena fight per day until my gladiators were like level 8 - by then I had several thousand crowns saved up

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How often do you guys find yourselves camping to repair and heal? I’ve been doing the old “ah I’ll take care of it on the road” but it’s hosed me over a few times

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Once you get good equipment I tend to keep a bunch of spare armour around to swap in for damaged stuff. And for similar reasons you need a good number of bros on the bench.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Only if i'm super battered, i'll do it near a city. Kind of a moot point though, because some of my most frustrating game overs has been where i've been camping on top of a citadel and a ton of beasts came to finish me off regardless.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bit further in on the same Southern Company now. I'll mirror somewhat what others are saying that getting out of the south is probably a good idea. I didn't, but it was a scratching, pulling, cheap as hell marathon to do that. Like, save scumming good terrain set ups, flukey/bad rolls, and still barely getting by. Then I went north and basically blitzed the hell out of brigands/nabs/zombs etc. So the thing is, that's doable. But it's not fun, it's tiring microing the poo poo out of things. Once you get over the hump though, it's woo hoo new mechanics time, and that's where the real fun comes in.

There was some talk about having to change up tactics, but when you're on day 1 you don't have the resources to take advantage of any of the new new mechanics. This is why 3 hyenas between me and the starting city == death (they are also faster than you on the overworld). There's some good things in the expansion, and I haven't touched the surface of the gladiator/indebted/manhunter stuff, but it feels to me that the upshot of the changes are that the beginning is even swingier and harder than it was before. That they added more things to do, but they are mostly harder. Which you could say is perfectly in line with the ethos as a "hard game", and don't get me wrong I've 200 hours in this game, so I'm here for it. But with it being relatively front loaded, and again with that "gotcha" feeling, it feels even more random and arbitrary than before. That's not to say every beginning should be easy and that you never lose a man (I've lost two on this go round), but it does feel like this expansion is more about satiating the challenge hungry veterans than accommodating new players. Which, I have no idea as to the demographics of the players, might be the best decision for them.

On the plus side, I started actually paying attention to tavern rumours and got a unique item super early because of it that I'll probably wear into the endgame, so you can bet I'll be doing that more often!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

They should make a southern version of lone wolf where you start with southern equipment and stuff. Or just in general a Lone wolf start where you can customize your dude from the get go.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The other thing about the south is that it really does emphasise you having to chuck nets on people. You just need to waste turns and pull down peoples defence. Its cool but if you do it every fight you'll go broke so fast.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Taverns are worth using now? Even in the early days?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jay Rust posted:

Taverns are worth using now? Even in the early days?

I got a 270 armour with only -23 fatigue, threw some snake skin on it to get to 300/-25 and my 2h bro is basically set. Had to beat a necro, think we were around LVL 5. Lucked out and sniped him on round 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Taverns have always been useful for locating famed gear.