Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Litte things dragging down, throwback to my childhood edition:

Maniac Mansion on 1985 hardware: 50 percent of the time loading the game would cause the whole computer to crash, the other 50 percent it plays fine. I never finished this game as a result, but I tried dozens of times to get through this computer problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Weapon Durability: Dying Light

Wizard needs Food Badly

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Both Uncharted and the reboot Tomb Raider have bits where the main character gets injured and it is treated as extremely serious (bizarrely enough they get injured in like the exact same spot.) Which is weird for an action game where you're constantly being shot.

While not exactly the same thing it is kind of interesting how in Jedi: Fallen Order the main character uses one of his healing items in a cutscene to help out an injured animal. Since usually games like to pretend that healing items just don't actually exist narratively.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Unskippable Cutscene

This is the one that pisses me off most in its own way because there's literally no benefit to the player, it's just the developers being lazy or up their own asses. If it's the occasional kind that's also a loading screen, then tell me so and let me skip the others if I want to.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

On the other side of the coin, I hate cutscenes that you can't pause during. I'll be 30 seconds into a plot important cutscene that I actually care about, and then my phone will ring or somebody will knock on the door and I end up being forced to skip the cut scene and then I don't know what's going on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is the one that pisses me off most in its own way because there's literally no benefit to the player, it's just the developers being lazy or up their own asses. If it's the occasional kind that's also a loading screen, then tell me so and let me skip the others if I want to.

The benefit is that instead of people coming into this thread going "But the plot makes no sense how does *thing* happen?" They come into this thread going "I had to watch the cutscenes and that's horrible!"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only reason I ever died to that poo poo Jabba boss in Dark Souls 2 was due to a phone call.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Max Payne 3 was the worst for this... and it would even tell you it was unstoppable because the game was loading.

The problem was, that was a lie. The point where you could skip it was time stamped into the cutscene well after the point it was done loading, because the engine was made for open world games and the way it loaded things in wasn’t suited for a level-based shooter at all. To prevent the game from trying to play a partly loaded level, it had a ton of buffer time added.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Max Payne 3 was the worst for this... and it would even tell you it was unstoppable because the game was loading.

The problem was, that was a lie. The point where you could skip it was time stamped into the cutscene well after the point it was done loading, because the engine was made for open world games and the way it loaded things in wasn’t suited for a level-based shooter at all. To prevent the game from trying to play a partly loaded level, it had a ton of buffer time added.

I played that game halfway normally, then started cheating to get through the second half...it ended up being mostly about waiting on cutscenes and quickly rushing through a level, just slogging trying to get to the end of the drat game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

rydiafan posted:

On the other side of the coin, I hate cutscenes that you can't pause during. I'll be 30 seconds into a plot important cutscene that I actually care about, and then my phone will ring or somebody will knock on the door and I end up being forced to skip the cut scene and then I don't know what's going on.

Ghost of Tsushima has this, which in one sense makes the game better. But it also pisses me off even more because it means the devs thought about the user experience and specifically decided, no, even the most minor sidequest cutscene is too important to be skipped.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me how in the Hack GU games every single time you enter a trapped room you get an unskippable in-engine cutscene of the doors closing shut behind you and a camera zoom to the device you need to activate to open them back up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What are the most common gaming annoyances that only a few games succeed at because they're integral elements?

Water levels, they always suck.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, playing a new game I havent played before and something happens during a cut scene that I need to deal with, theres always a moment of "when I hit this button will it pause it, immediately skip it, ask me what I want to do, or do absolutely nothing?".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a lot of things people like to complain about that never seem to bother me. Opening a crafting menu, who cares. Unskippable cutscenes, I always watch every cutscene in its entirety so this is a non-issue. The presence of waist-high walls in a cover shooter letting you know in advance there's going to be a fight there, couldn't care less. But one thing that is simply UNFORGIVEABLE to me in any video game is a flashback sequence that you can fail, not least of all because, in the reality of the game, it would require the person telling the story to say they failed and died instead of what clearly did happen since they are alive and presumably succeeded in the present. It makes no loving sense!!!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Game Over if caught mode in MGS games is fun imo because theres so many solutions to each area, if you arent just tranqing everybody

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Moon Monster posted:

Water levels, they always suck.

Super Mario Bros. had delightful water levels back in the 80s and it has been downhill ever since.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

But one thing that is simply UNFORGIVEABLE to me in any video game is a flashback sequence that you can fail, not least of all because, in the reality of the game, it would require the person telling the story to say they failed and died instead of what clearly did happen since they are alive and presumably succeeded in the present. It makes no loving sense!!!

On the other hand, it can make for a delightful gag when they take that into account. I know newer games have done it too, but my favorite is in Monkey Island 2 where the one spot that you can die is late enough in the game that you forget it's all been presented as you narrating a flashback of your adventure up to that point. It cuts back to that point and the character you're talking to is just like "...and you died? Give me a break, you idiot :rolleyes:", and you sheepishly jump back into the game, now unable to die at that point.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The first of the modern Prince of Persia games was being told as a flashback, and the game over screen was the protagonist saying "Wait, no. That's not how it happened."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If you died in MGS3 you caused a time paradox.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Maniac Mansion

Holy gently caress, I’ve been trying to think of the name of this game for a while but couldn’t remember enough of it to track it down. Thanks and sorry it sucked on your computer so much!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you fall in Bastion, the narrator says "Kid falls to his death... only fooling with you" and you respawn

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Won the Battle, Lost the Cutscene

It doesn’t indulge in this, but I like the way Street Fighter V sidesteps this in the story mode. If it’s a fight the hero is supposed to lose, then you play as the villain instead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

rydiafan posted:

The first of the modern Prince of Persia games was being told as a flashback, and the game over screen was the protagonist saying "Wait, no. That's not how it happened."

I still love the mental image of the Prince just sitting there, telling the tale like: "Alright, then I killed these sand monsters, scaled the side of the tallest tower in the palace, balanced along a narrow beam, and then I just jumped right of the side and loving died." :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So people have been posting grumpily about Spiderman being exclusive to Sony systems for this Avengers game. Were people grumpy that Link was exclusive to Gamecube for Soul Calibur?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Len posted:

So people have been posting grumpily about Spiderman being exclusive to Sony systems for this Avengers game. Were people grumpy that Link was exclusive to Gamecube for Soul Calibur?

I made this exact point in a comment on some breathlessly angry article about this a few weeks ago and the author responded “This is different!!” without bothering to elaborate how or why they thought that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

I made this exact point in a comment on some breathlessly angry article about this a few weeks ago and the author responded “This is different!!” without bothering to elaborate how or why they thought that.

I wasn't terminally online when SC2 dropped but my real life social group thought it was neat that each system had their own characters. But now it's 2020 and people get angry about exclusives? But somehow it's always different when you ask "But why can't i play pokemon on my playstation?"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What exclusives do the other platforms get?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What exclusives do the other platforms get?

All those Marvel characters that Microsoft owns, obviously.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So it's not the same situation as Soul Calibur 2, since other platforms got characters that weren't available on the Gamecube version.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

Its because the default state is angry and also you can make a youtube video about the corporations loving the consumer over and link a patreon at the end to profit off it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Len posted:

I wasn't terminally online when SC2 dropped but my real life social group thought it was neat that each system had their own characters. But now it's 2020 and people get angry about exclusives? But somehow it's always different when you ask "But why can't i play pokemon on my playstation?"

That example IS different though. If I buy Avengers for Xbox and PS4 I pay the same price for each system, but arbitrarily have less content on the Xbox version. That's pretty hosed up and very different that a game that isn't on the system at all.
It's also different than what Soul Calibur does because each system had a different guest; if the Xbox version of Avengers had Black Panther or something and the PS4 didn't that's a different matter entirely, right now they're just making a complete game that includes Spider-Man, and then removing him for other systems while charging the same price.
It's be like if a move came out but there's 15 minutes cut out of act 2 in every theatre except AMC.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So it's not the same situation as Soul Calibur 2, since other platforms got characters that weren't available on the Gamecube version.

Okay so when am I going to get a pokemon game on the ps4?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it’s me, im the brain genius upset i dont get a character that’s been owned by sony since 1998 on my Xbox

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All this could've been avoided if Microsoft hadn't refused to buy the rights to my original character, Arachno-Boy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Blinx the goddamn time sweeper better show up in smash is all i'm saying

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I unironically keep crossing my fingers for Nate "Rad" Spencer to be in Smash. He's an iconic classic character, and his grapple arm would mean a unique playstyle.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He's the guy whose wife jerks him off, if i remember. Yes, that is a notable fact about him, given the context. Yes, it is stupid when one-note protagonists are given a gritty reboot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

If we’re talking about Bionic Commando now it bugs me that Capcom walked back the idea that the Super Joe you are trying to rescue in Bionic Commando is the same Super Joe that you play as in Commando.

Also Commando is one of the best NES/arcade games ever and it gets absolutely zero recognition or respect these days.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

I'd say the main differences are that

1. The PS4 version is just getting an extra character. From how it sounds the other versions aren't getting their own exclusives, they're just not getting a character

2. Sony owns the rights to the character but he's a Marvel character first and foremost so it bothers people in a way it doesn't Link who is a Nintendo character in a way that Spider-Man isn't a Sony character.

3. There's a pre-existing frustration with Sony and so this is in the context of that and not in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

I'd say the main differences are that

1. The PS4 version is just getting an extra character. From how it sounds the other versions aren't getting their own exclusives, they're just not getting a character

2. Sony owns the rights to the character but he's a Marvel character first and foremost so it bothers people in a way it doesn't Link who is a Nintendo character in a way that Spider-Man isn't a Sony character.

3. There's a pre-existing frustration with Sony and so this is in the context of that and not in a vacuum.

But when can I expect Starfox to be in all the other versions of Starlink?