Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

No. 6 posted:

I simply don't trust the decision making skills and logical abilities of anyone who believes in things without any evidence.

If someone goes into the forest alone and cries and asks for their pain to go away and then it does they would say that's pretty drat good evidence, it's just not the evidence you want. But anyway, I don't wanna get into that argument with you. I will say though that off the top of my head I can think of a handful of therapists who are occultists, pagans, practitioners of magik, etc. Completely unrelated but those are actually the same handful that take the referrals of extremely difficult cases most therapists aren't able to deal with like people who are in deep in schizophrenic episodes and want to be rid of it, victims of war crimes and torture, people who have witnessed gruesome events like mass shootings, whatever. These are people who have rounded out their circles of the Bio-Psycho-Social-Spiritual system and can draw from each circle when needed. And lemme tell you when you're working with a mother who (trigger warning) saw her baby tossed up into the air and bayoneted, it helps to have a spiritual well to draw from.

But if you're firm on wanting a specific spiritual or religious leaning (or lack there of) it is of course your prerogative as the client to bring that up during the free consultation call and at any point ever after that. I myself have made uncommon requests of therapists when I was younger and some were open to it and some were not. You'll probably get a lot of people answering your question with, "I'd be open to talking about my beliefs in the future, but can you tell me what makes it such an important issue for you?"

95% of success in therapy lives in the relationship between the client and therapist. Those aforementioned therapists from the first paragraph also have clients that are engineers or like you do not believe in the immaterial whatsoever. And because they are good therapists they NEVER try to push any of that at all. Their job is to connect with you and speak to you in whatever language works for you. So shop around and find someone you connect with and go from there.

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
does anybody have any personal experience with any of the telemedicine apps? there seems to be approximately 100000 of them and while I'm sure some are scams, I'm back to getting desperate about my headspace and wanting pills even if therapy is impossible.

google and the related SEO are generally garbage for this, most of the results that aren't ads are reddit which is moderately better but not enough that I feel safe signing up for one sight unseen.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Repost from the covid thread.

Ah yay just had my boss ask me to call him in the last hour of my Friday shift to discuss cutting my hours. He had forgotten that whole thing about me losing $46,000 and my under construction condo if he does that. gently caress!

And that caused an adrenaline spike that made my hosed up heart start beating weirdly again. If I survive this year it's definitely still going to take years off my life.

I offered to go on vacation if that would help. Literally moved here in part to travel with the one month minimum vacation and now won't even get to use it.

gently caress!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Repost from the covid thread.

Ah yay just had my boss ask me to call him in the last hour of my Friday shift to discuss cutting my hours. He had forgotten that whole thing about me losing $46,000 and my under construction condo if he does that. gently caress!

And that caused an adrenaline spike that made my hosed up heart start beating weirdly again. If I survive this year it's definitely still going to take years off my life.

I offered to go on vacation if that would help. Literally moved here in part to travel with the one month minimum vacation and now won't even get to use it.

gently caress!
if it's a minimum hour requirement, what about cutting pay to almost minimum? i know that would suck a whole lot and nobody should ever have to voluntary go "can you just cut me down to $15/hr so i dont lose everything?" but it may be the least worst option for you

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Xaris posted:

if it's a minimum hour requirement, what about cutting pay to almost minimum? i know that would suck a whole lot and nobody should ever have to voluntary go "can you just cut me down to $15/hr so i dont lose everything?" but it may be the least worst option for you

I need both full time and my current wage or else it'll spook the bank when I re-apply for my 3rd 90 day window. Stage 4 restrictions in Melbourne meant 75% reduction in construction staff so our settlement went from two weeks from now to October to unknown in the last few months.

I apparently did a good job of having a panic attack though cuz my boss's boss called me after and said he'd help make sure I don't lose hours. Might have to use vacation but gently caress I'll take it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm losing my mind

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

No. 6 posted:

I'm losing my mind

Hope you're okay.

Sent you a PM.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My mental health has actually improved over covid times. Is that hosed up?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

My mental health has actually improved over covid times. Is that hosed up?

No. Don't feel bad for feeling good.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

StashAugustine posted:

hello goons are you feeling isolated and like you don't have anything to do? why not play boardgames with other goons through the magic of cyberspace? ice phisherman and i ran through Spirit Island (where you play magic ghosts scaring people off Catan) the other night on tabletop simulator, and we'll probably be playing again next week on wendsday, with room for a third or fourth; if more people are interested we could probably set up more stuff. boardgaming is for me a big help for brain problems, since it lets you focus on a puzzle you can think through and see your decisions affect things while also being a good social activity. post here or pm if you're interested

Hey also check out a free account on boardgamearena.com. My regular game night club switched over to discord and this (though it apparently has its own version of voice chat) and it's gone really well for many months. It's cheap, and it enforces the rules better than a basic physics engine, includes community scoring and soundtracks. It's been a really great place to pass the weeks.

I came here to bitch about myself, but honestly that's one of my best sanity points. We've had a good time with it. I look forward to it every week.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So thanks to this thread I was able to find a therapist for my wife like three weeks ago. So far it hasn't helped and remembering a lot of the stuff from her childhood she repressed has led her to just randomly dissociate for a day at a time. This owns. I wish she could welcome the crack ping and no longer have stuff bother her but it appears that won't be happening

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So thanks to this thread I was able to find a therapist for my wife like three weeks ago. So far it hasn't helped and remembering a lot of the stuff from her childhood she repressed has led her to just randomly dissociate for a day at a time. This owns. I wish she could welcome the crack ping and no longer have stuff bother her but it appears that won't be happening

Solidarity with you two; but also this will probably take more than three weeks to sort out :smith:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Solidarity with you two; but also this will probably take more than three weeks to sort out :smith:

I know.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Update on the posts higher up for the few who care, my employer just announced everyone is getting a 30% pay cut for the next month at least and I will drain my one month paid time off to keep my pay equal. But if it goes on longer than that (it will) I'm fuuuuuucked.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my wife's friend and coworker of many years killed himself a couple weeks ago and she has been down and she spent like 5 hours making a cross stitch pattern yesterday and it was really awesome and I posted it somewhere here thinking goons would like it and think it was funny and I know now that was dumb but I was hoping to like, pump her up a little by showing her that people liked something she made and instead the first response called her 'loving basic' and then a bunch of them dogpiled on me for snapping on them and I am now feeling Very Bad and also am probably going to get probated over it because I don't sit on discord with mods all day or whatever and a bunch of people are laughing at me in a mean spirited and unpleasant way and I guess that's probably going to happen here too

i am trying to stop myself from full on splitting on this community again over it because I know that's an over reaction but if it goes the way I am expecting I guess I probably will anyway

oh well, hell people will probably respond in this thread with some mean spirited poo poo too

I wish I didn't give a poo poo what people I don't even know think about anything

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

empty whippet box, we all love you. the post was a joke because at first the poster misread what your wife cross stitched and horse girls/women are often seen as "basic." they thought she stitched "horse" not "whore" and posted about it

e: you're obviously free to feel your feelings, I just wanted you to know it was said in jest and everyone giving you poo poo for being hurt about it saw it in jest, but they obviously don't know about what you and your spouse have going on in your lives and were posing as such

Eat This Glob has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Aug 16, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

empty whippet box posted:

my wife's friend and coworker of many years killed himself a couple weeks ago and she has been down and she spent like 5 hours making a cross stitch pattern yesterday and it was really awesome and I posted it somewhere here thinking goons would like it and think it was funny and I know now that was dumb but I was hoping to like, pump her up a little by showing her that people liked something she made and instead the first response called her 'loving basic' and then a bunch of them dogpiled on me for snapping on them and I am now feeling Very Bad and also am probably going to get probated over it because I don't sit on discord with mods all day or whatever and a bunch of people are laughing at me in a mean spirited and unpleasant way and I guess that's probably going to happen here too

i am trying to stop myself from full on splitting on this community again over it because I know that's an over reaction but if it goes the way I am expecting I guess I probably will anyway

oh well, hell people will probably respond in this thread with some mean spirited poo poo too

I wish I didn't give a poo poo what people I don't even know think about anything

you are a cool and good person and I bet your wife is too. I think maybe it's a good idea to take the rest of the night off the forums. not because you were wrong or other people are right or anything else in that situation, but because we can all use a mental health break once in a while. no one hates you or your wife, and if you're taking that much stock in what people on this site are saying then take a little breather.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

sorry, buddy. I wouldn't have nice meltdowned you if I had known this, or if I had known you'd feel dogpiled. for the record it's a really funny cross-stitch

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

time to increase the celexa a bit and prob go back to some video games after a month-long hiatus... it's a good distraction from everything

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm sorry you had to deal with this, and I'm also sorry that the people who harassed you saw fit to follow you to this thread to defend their "joke"

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
You know how it used to just be homeless schizophrenics going on about the rich and powerful literally having the powers and temperament of an angry God? Now, it's actually happening, and I've got to gently caress my brain up with chemicals to become less sane instead of more. At least when Frederick Douglass was lamenting the irony of literacy being bad for slaves (not for the reasons they said, but because it articulated the Hell that slavery is), he was a couple decades out from spanking the Confederacy in one of the last proper examples of Enlightenment praxis in human history. Now, they've got all the tech to finally do the 1984 existential fuckery that they've always wanted, and I, the peon, get the benefit of a pill that makes me dumber and less good at everything. The privilege to die in a few decades with maybe one speck of self-respect the size of a failed sperm left in me, because I buried my convictions so far down that the Devil gets to laugh at them, because I know that the squeaky wheel gets its grease, and the grease that I know about is already a planet-sized dicking, and they're going to use the secret grease I don't know about that's worse. I've finished maybe one game of Civilization V in my life, but I know they all end with a runaway tech lead over everyone else that you're holding down and loving. The loving goes on until you die, and they don't even let terminal cancer patients die in most places, and I'm a hell of a lot less sympathetic than a terminal cancer patient.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Just heard an interesting thing on NPR. That "only child" people have more tendencies to ghost people because they never had to explain things to siblings and were allowed to make their own rules and could get up and leave when they wanted if they didn't like something anymore.
***Obviously this is generally speaking.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ghosting is simply the logical endpoint of modern narcissism turning the people we have ostensible relationships with into nonhuman objects that exist only so long as they have a part to play in the grand story of the narcissist's life

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Wheeee posted:

ghosting is simply the logical endpoint of modern narcissism turning the people we have ostensible relationships with into nonhuman objects that exist only so long as they have a part to play in the grand story of the narcissist's life

Oh narcissist! Duh! that's the word I was thinking of. Wow you really hit home here.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I hate this website because I have had a really hard time since I joined. While relatively unrelated to this site? I have post traumatic stress disorder, major depressive disorder, and anxiety thats been inappropriately treated by every psychiatrist Ive had since 2014 or so by just feeding me benzodiazepines. Its the sorta of bad treatment that is loving terrifying because being on high dosages of benzodiazepines for 5-6 years results in a monumentally terrible experience of trying to get off them. Cant go cold turkey off them because benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome can damage you badly if it doesnt kill you. Known bedroom cleaning advocate Jordy PetePete opted to try and quit them by being put in a coma in Russia/Eastern Europe, and while Im not certain what the overall experience of being put in a coma to not experience the terrifying mindfuck of day to day withdrawal is? The reality is that he was on them for like six months and incurred brain damage while put in an induced coma. I actually had the honor of a psychiatrist deciding I should be tortured for two months by obliviously making me go cold turkey until I made an issue out of it by pointing out that it was going to cause if not already caused damage to my brain/body. Im back on them at this point, as much as I wish there were a more effective & safe way of getting me off them.

I hate being alive. Ive been incredibly lucky in the last couple of years. Got a house for practically nothing! Bad news is that the former owner basically did no major appliance upkeep, so Im scrambling to get everything copacetic for the formerly homeless people who live with me for no charge aside from contributing to household food budget with SNAP benefits. Everything will be easier when the Docial Security benefits Im working on for them are approved. Theyre too hosed up to work, and Im certainly not going to terrorize them for being so loving damaged, because hey Im damaged too! My attempts to keep a job since March have failed, but that isnt to say I have given up.

But it was really soul crushing to be mocked and dunked on based on erroneous assumptions by SA members. I dunno why I was surprised at all by it. Ive been on SA for a very long time, and while the transfer of ownership away from Lowtax is great, it seems like members are failing to take the opportunity now presented to us to reflect on how we treat each other. Goons doxed and outed me as trans to classmates in high school because I idiotically talked about being trans here back then, and I ignorantly had my myspace profile linked on my profile here. I was dumb and a 16 year old who didnt really understand how malicious folks on SA could be, so shame on me! But I guess the second worst situation I found myself in was when some cool goons decided to take me to a kegger and get me so stupid drunk that I couldnt stand or consent to anything. But hey thats in the past! I sure wish my life wasnt a continuous nightmare, you know? I cant even talk about some of the more hosed experiences Ive had without having an ungodly downward spiral in my stability occur. An office manager for a MH clinic told me that people as broken as me tend to live isolated & lonely lives. Ive been trying to avoid that becoming my life, but I just dont know anymore. Im not much of a firebrand for anything anymore though, because hey a lot of my broken brain status revolves around me attempting to socially interact. I generally have a misanthropic view on life now. I just dont trust anyone not to dogpile on me and heckle me until I isolate myself once more. And when I say misanthropic, it kinda means to me that I am distrustful, anxious, and generally dont want to put myself out there to be ground into the dirt once more. I obviously make mistakes and Im not a perfect human beyond reproach, but I think I could be less poo poo on.

In the end, I think a lot of people dont quite understand how badly we can all fall between the cracks in our society. Its good that a vast majority dont really go through Hell in their lives. But I feel like people expect you to maybe have one or two bad times and regard your deprecated mental health as acceptable only to the point where youre not so much of a nuisance. But if you inconvenience them? Its all why cant this bitch just be permanently institutionalized?, and I dont mean to say that people who are violent or whatever should get a pass on that, not at all! Im just really tired and wish I wasnt born. Nothing I can do about it now except wait tor people to find my suffering too unbelievable and treat me like poo poo because they cant comprehend how terrible things can become or how they can cascade into a hellscape. Boo loving hoo in the end.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Binge eating a whole lot lately because I don't think it'll be safe to go to the grocery stores after schools reopening. 5,000 calories yesterday and about 1,500 for lunch today. It seems to be a big struggle to get below the weight on my driver's license, feels like it's gotten much harder to keep eating healthy all of a sudden.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Peeches posted:

Just heard an interesting thing on NPR. That "only child" people have more tendencies to ghost people because they never had to explain things to siblings and were allowed to make their own rules and could get up and leave when they wanted if they didn't like something anymore.
***Obviously this is generally speaking.

i'm an only child and I hate ghosting and never ghost :mad:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Someone gave me poo poo for posting too much in the covid thread. Sorry my life is collapsing and I'm legally not able to distract myself. :(

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Someone gave me poo poo for posting too much in the covid thread. Sorry my life is collapsing and I'm legally not able to distract myself. :(
fwiw i thought that guy was being a shitter and i appreciate seeing australia updates :) always good to see what's happening in countries that have a better response than the plaguelands

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yeah, I'm not really sure how to help other than listening and saying that I hear you, but you relive stress however you need to. Don't let someone on the internet get you down.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

actionjackson posted:

i'm an only child and I hate ghosting and never ghost :mad:

I'm glad to here it. It's a coward move for sure.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Peeches posted:

I'm glad to here it. It's a coward move for sure.

what do you call it if you arrange it so that you dno't have to ghost because you absolutely would to avoid having to interact with someone in person but know how rude ghosting is so you try to avoid it beforehand

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm getting my blood drawn tomorrow for my new PCP and I can't wait to hear that my organs are failing and my blood is poison.

I know this isn't strictly true but I'm pretty overweight these days and drink too much. really hoping I hear back from the psych office and I can get my brain working normally again. They said i should hear back this week.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zvahl posted:

what do you call it if you arrange it so that you dno't have to ghost because you absolutely would to avoid having to interact with someone in person but know how rude ghosting is so you try to avoid it beforehand

That's pre ghosting and it can still get you pregnent if ur not careful

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
This is probably the best place to put this: sorry for the ridiculous outburst, Doomsday Economics! A dude killed himself on Monday and while we weren't close, I guess it turns out that I'm full of pent-up impotent rage. The world is hosed up and I'm not gifted with the ability to do dick about it, I'm just not well equipped to influence loving anything. I'm traumatized by my dealings with people who this world has chewed up and spit out. I can't deal with how many people there are who have lived most of their lives in pain that is unseen or sometimes actively denied by polite society, and also largely abandoned by me, because I'm not equipped to deal with them very well myself!

The whole thing is very tightly interlinked with poverty: poverty might not be the cause, but it sure as poo poo is an effect, and it in turn causes that people get denied help or treated so disrespectfully that they become afraid of "help", which is *very common*, even in this so-called socialist paradise. And when I browse SA I'm reminded of what I've seen reading GBS for years, goons reveling ridiculing various kinds of people who are destroying themselves, not unlikely because they're coping with trauma like any regular dumbass might, because humans just aren't very rational individually. Then that thought clouds my vision and I start seeing that disgusting attitude everywhere where I perceive people being made light of. And I don't believe I'm even that far off the mark, because the liberal sense of superiority is not something one can just get rid of like it's nothing because they don't like it anymore, it's there like a parasite that eats at our souls, leading us to shamefully betray people who need us - usually not even for anything demanding but just for basic gestures of respect for their humanity, which we might still deny them on a loving whim like some kind of haughty aristocrat - and goes dormant to hide when it senses danger, only to come back when we don't expect it.

All that said, looking for things to get mad about on SA is still an extremely lame and unproductive way to cope. Also, no one needs to worry about me, I'm just sad in that stereotypical masculine way. Sad about the past, sad about the present. While this post had a theme of guilt, I'm just talking about normal stuff that everyone who's not actively in denial about their role in things needs to deal with. We are painfully limited beings.

uncop has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Aug 19, 2020

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

uncop posted:

This is probably the best place to put this: sorry for the ridiculous outburst, Doomsday Economics! A dude killed himself on Monday and while we weren't close, I guess it turns out that I'm full of pent-up impotent rage. The world is hosed up and I'm not gifted with the ability to do dick about it, I'm just not well equipped to influence loving anything. I'm traumatized by my dealings with people who this world has chewed up and spit out. I can't deal with how many people there are who have lived most of their lives in pain that is unseen or sometimes actively denied by polite society, and also largely abandoned by me, because I'm not equipped to deal with them very well myself!

The whole thing is very tightly interlinked with poverty: poverty might not be the cause, but it sure as poo poo is an effect, and it in turn causes that people get denied help or treated so disrespectfully that they become afraid of "help", which is *very common*, even in this so-called socialist paradise. And when I browse SA I'm reminded of what I've seen reading GBS for years, goons reveling ridiculing various kinds of people who are destroying themselves, not unlikely because they're coping with trauma like any regular dumbass might, because humans just aren't very rational individually. Then that thought clouds my vision and I start seeing that disgusting attitude everywhere where I perceive people being made light of. And I don't believe I'm even that far off the mark, because the liberal sense of superiority is not something one can just get rid of like it's nothing because they don't like it anymore, it's there like a parasite that eats at our souls, leading us to shamefully betray people who need us - usually not even for anything demanding but just for basic gestures of respect for their humanity, which we might still deny them on a loving whim like some kind of haughty aristocrat - and goes dormant to hide when it senses danger, only to come back when we don't expect it.

All that said, looking for things to get mad about on SA is still an extremely lame and unproductive way to cope. Also, no one needs to worry about me, I'm just sad in that stereotypical masculine way. Sad about the past, sad about the present. While this post had a theme of guilt, I'm just talking about normal stuff that everyone who's not actively in denial about their role in things needs to deal with. We are painfully limited beings.

So I've suggested this a few times in PM's to people who were full of despair and rage. Impotent frequently, but it means that you're full of energy to act and to do and to change your environment, but you don't know how or don't see how it would make an impact.

My suggestion to you would be to join some sort of mutual aid organization. Food Not Bombs would be a good one because we're going through an economic famine, but there also other mutual aid organizations that are ideological and not. If you're religious, many churches worth a drat also serve as food pantries and are in my experience desperate for people. One of the most badass people I've met to date was a woman in her late seventies, maybe eighties who has been going into grocery stores and looking for food to help feed her community despite the very high risk of her death if she catches covid. Her faith gives her strength and grants her the ability to easily give herself permission to act. And while I do not share that faith, it gives her bravery in the face of death to do what is right by her community.

Another pantry, not associated with that one that I spoke to yesterday has fed something like 24k people just in the last few months and they're an all volunteer force that relies on donations from the community.

If you go into any city, you'll see the lines for some food pantries stretch for miles because things are bad right now. They desperately need volunteers. They need people to go gather the food, to buy it. Or frequently to beg for it from those who have enough or frequently in the case of the grocery stores, far more than enough. So much that they throw much of it away each day instead of putting it into the fridge of hungry people. And many stores do wish to donate this food because they can write it off in taxes under "charitable donations". It's why they have cashiers beg for money. It's so that they can donate their customer's money for purposes of tax write-offs and prestige while funding organizations that reflect their values.

If you don't live near an organization that suits you and you're not religious, you can make your own. There are many people who are filled with that animating force to go and do, but don't what to do because they're not used to taking action. Gather them up and go get food and go distribute it. And you can contact these organizations for help in how to organize people.

Perhaps food distribution isn't your thing and that's valid. There are so many kinds of mutual aid organizations out there though. Do some research and find your niche. Connect with people. Make friends. Do right by your community and if one doesn't exist, you can build one. People are starving for community because we are all so atomized by capitalism and now by covid.

No power is weaker than the power of one, but adding your strength and labor to others does make a difference. And if you can gather others to you, then you can make a far greater impact with others than you can alone. Not everyone is healthy enough to do this, but much of the depression and rage and anger comes from structural reasons. Reasons that come from outside of us. The remedy isn't universally action to help others and that remedy won't cure all that ails, but you can experiment with it and see if it suits.

Ice Phisherman has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Aug 19, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

That's pre ghosting and it can still get you pregnent if ur not careful

as it turns out in the light of day it's just alienating all your friends until you don't have any but i like the cum joke more

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
sososo tired these days wish i could turn invisible or peace out from life and sleep on a flop house couch for a year doing nothing stoned constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

breadnsucc posted:

sososo tired these days wish i could turn invisible or peace out from life and sleep on a flop house couch for a year doing nothing stoned constantly

:same: tbh