Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m expected to believe these bozos found the Triforce when they couldn’t even find a single Gold Skulluta? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

njsykora posted:

There's other stuff in that tweet thread that suggests otherwise. It doesn't have colour data associated with it but the greyscale suggests a slightly different look to the central emblem. At best though it's maybe suggesting there was a possibility to save after the final Ganon fight and have a completed save file with the Triforce on the status screen like they did with later games.
https://twitter.com/MrCheeze_/status/1293715304678338562
https://twitter.com/MrCheeze_/status/1293747368714809345

which other zelda games did that? i know breath of the wild kinda does it but with a star

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wind Waker did it as well if memory serves, since finishing the game unlocks Hero Mode and pyjama mode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wind Waker is a terrific game. And I'll be damed if running around in your jammies doesn't make it even better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

feedmyleg posted:

Wind Waker is a terrific game. And I'll be damed if running around in your jammies doesn't make it even better.

The crawfish shirt felt far more appropriate for Wind Waker than the Hero's Clothes IMO.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The Running Man being unbeatable always bothered me more than not getting the triforce did

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Wind Waker did it as well if memory serves, since finishing the game unlocks Hero Mode and pyjama mode.

Wind waker link is best Link

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

Wind waker link is best Link

Wind Waker manga Link is best Link :colbert:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I always liked throwing a pig into the sea and watching it swim back.

Someone reincorporated the beta Mario sprites into the running game.
https://youtu.be/GeYakbdMoMA

Lanky Beta Yoshi is a different matter altogether.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Coffee Jones posted:

this is wrong. messing with forces we dont fully comprehend. we've opened a box we might never recover from.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

I wanna see him wearing that dorky helmet!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

feedmyleg posted:

Wind Waker manga Link is best Link :colbert:

Isn't the manga basically a bunch of short comedic strips of Link doing goofy poo poo?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It actually follows the plot of the game from start to finish, while also having every strip be link doing goofy poo poo

http://historyofhyrule.com/publications/4koma_ww_ac/index.html

edit: my personal favourite:

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 15, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

they got the og castle/castletown thing hacked into the final game.

thing is loving huge.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
L is Real. Triforce in OoT.

All we need now is for someone to find that you can in fact get Mew in Pokemon Red and Blue (by using Strength on the truck 150 times, of course) and that it is possible to revive Aeris in FF7.

As it stands already, we all have to go track down That Kid who's uncle worked at Nintendo and apologize to them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RandomFerret posted:

It actually follows the plot of the game from start to finish, while also having every strip be link doing goofy poo poo

http://historyofhyrule.com/publications/4koma_ww_ac/index.html

edit: my personal favourite:

There's a Metroid one too, it's a useful reminder that Samus as an airhead girly-girl has been Japan's conception of her from the beginning and that Metroid: Other M was pretty consistent with that, we just thought she was cool and badass because of Western takes on the character.

Vikar Jerome posted:

thing is loving huge.

Between this and the early Kokiri Forest map I love that you can see the clear trajectory of the devs going from being utterly infatuated with the concept of moving in a 3d space to having the novelty wear off and realizing that having to spend minutes running across empty terrain was actually really boring.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pronunciation of Tidus' name

Spelling of Aeris' name

And now "take on Samus" can be added to the list of "Japanese intent can go to hell"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm a big fan of the interpretation of Samus as a dipshit who just likes finding places to roll around.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

I'm a big fan of the interpretation of Samus as a dipshit who just likes finding places to roll around.

Same I find it very relatable

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Same I find it very relatable
Rolling around in a ball leaving a trail of bombs as my standard method of transportation the entire game. If I find even one E tank, it’s completely justified.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
And here I was thinking it was the suit that turns Samus into a ball.

No, she could naturally turn into a ball the entire time, the suit just got modded around her ball capabilities. Then again I should've known this from freaking Metroid 1, so...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

njsykora posted:

I mean, every game is just Samus going around and shooting poo poo, going into tight spaces as a ball, blowing up poo poo with missles, finding more nooks and cranies, and ultimately blowing up whatever place she's on. She can be both a hardend badass and a lovable goofball at the same time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Basing my entire reading of a character off of a comedic manga spinoff while ignoring the more serious manga adaptation that goes into the character's official backstory

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 16, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I always felt like the 4koma where she was cleaning would have been a better setup for a reference to the end of Alien.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nintendo is not exactly well known for keeping a close eye on its official manga. Some pretty weird poo poo can be put into them, like what the Pokemon manga was like before it a become a huge hit. The comic is fine, its just having some fun. No need to get morally outraged, she isn't portrayed as a badass bounty hunter 100% of the time.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 16, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just found it very funny to go "This parody proves the original artistic intent because I am still mad about Other M a decade later"

She also wasn't particularly airheaded in Other M either, she was just nothing

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I just found it very funny to go "This parody proves the original artistic intent because I am still mad about Other M a decade later"

Da BaAaABYyY!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

L is Real. Triforce in OoT.

All we need now is for someone to find that you can in fact get Mew in Pokemon Red and Blue (by using Strength on the truck 150 times, of course) and that it is possible to revive Aeris in FF7.

As it stands already, we all have to go track down That Kid who's uncle worked at Nintendo and apologize to them.
yeah it's impossible to get mew, even if you glitch the game to get back on the ss anne like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCoQm8bIyyw&t=1452s

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Waffleman_ posted:

Saying the three random writers who made those Metroid gag comics for a game magazine in the 90s represent the "original Japanese intent" for Samus's character is pretty funny.

But I do believe that Samus can do the ball thing without the suit. I'll take that as canon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mario Kart prototypes I accidentally posted in the retro thread instead of this one.
https://twitter.com/shanebattye/status/1294930636680003590

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

There's a Metroid one too, it's a useful reminder that Samus as an airhead girly-girl has been Japan's conception of her from the beginning and that Metroid: Other M was pretty consistent with that, we just thought she was cool and badass because of Western takes on the character.

Between this and the early Kokiri Forest map I love that you can see the clear trajectory of the devs going from being utterly infatuated with the concept of moving in a 3d space to having the novelty wear off and realizing that having to spend minutes running across empty terrain was actually really boring.

Those are comedy comics. They are not intended to be realistic depictions of the characters. You can find countless similar comics and the entire point is that they are jokes.

The idea of "oh yeah no Japan always thought that way" isn't actually backed up by literally anything. Other Metroid material exists

Pictured: Samus Aran.

It's really loving bizarre that you made this claim completely unsourced when it's so easily disproven.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 17, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
tbh a Metroid about the ditzy goofball Samus would be pretty amazing.

Paper Metroid.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Making fun of videogame logic and stupid arbitrary goals and barriers is fair game.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dewgy posted:

tbh a Metroid about the ditzy goofball Samus would be pretty amazing.

Paper Metroid.

the latest Paper Mario game is half way to being Paper Zelda, I think that ought to come before Paper Metroid

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sleeveless posted:

This is absolutely adorable and I don't care what anyone says, it's the canon I choose to recognize

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Adam was always an rear end in a top hat too, I see.

I do have to admit, though, if I could curl up into a little ball I would spend a lot of my downtime finding perfect little nooks to fit in

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

they got the og castle/castletown thing hacked into the final game.

thing is loving huge.

Nice. Curious to see more, do you know where those screenshots came from?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Code Jockey posted:

This is absolutely adorable and I don't care what anyone says, it's the canon I choose to recognize

Well we know for certain she's a massive Pinball fan at least :v:.

I also concur for the same reasons.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Nice. Curious to see more, do you know where those screenshots came from?

think they are from a weird discord i dont have access to, thats where most of the work is getting done, to avoid nintendo i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
If I could roll in a ball I would roll everywhere.