Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Goddammit Batka, don't spill out that you know because now they know that you know!

Although... didn't Belarus originally accuse Russia of sending mercenaries to meddle with the elections? Oh I see this is a clever reverse psychology thing where you tell Putin that you know that western zionist rats are behind this, making Putin believe that you don't know, when in reality you know and you know that Putin doesn't know that you know!!! Genius, otlichna!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

Goddammit Batka, don't spill out that you know because now they know that you know!

Although... didn't Belarus originally accuse Russia of sending mercenaries to meddle with the elections? Oh I see this is a clever reverse psychology thing where you tell Putin that you know that western zionist rats are behind this, making Putin believe that you don't know, when in reality you know and you know that Putin doesn't know that you know!!! Genius, otlichna!

Now Lukashenko says that Putin agreed to help if things get too hairy, as outlined in the Union State military agreement.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Let me reiterate that I hope very much for a happy ending to this. It was dire watching Belarus keeping on being helpless election after election for the last, well forever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Paladinus posted:

Now Lukashenko says that Putin agreed to help if things get too hairy, as outlined in the Union State military agreement.

this is very scary in a number of ways

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1294681918966059008

:(

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OMON has now arrived at the state TV building. This is the first showing for them since the street beatings stopped.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Nenonen posted:

He's like a malfunctioning robot, rapidly and randomly shifting between his "gently caress RUSSIA" and "LOVE YOU RUSSIA" modes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Grape posted:

He's like a malfunctioning robot, rapidly and randomly shifting between his "gently caress RUSSIA" and "LOVE YOU RUSSIA" modes.

Various accounts I read on him indicate he’s this ratty, shifty dude that’ll always do anything to get ahead and save his skin, first and foremost.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Rinkles posted:

this is very scary in a number of ways

Right? I can't read something like that without immediately thinking of 1968.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nexta just posted a good primer on the Russia/Belarus thing:

quote:

10 REASONS WHY THERE WILL NOT BE AN INVASION OF RUSSIA

Lukashenko said that he would receive from Moscow “at our first request, comprehensive assistance to ensure the security of the Republic of Belarus,” and mentioned the CSTO in this regard. And now in detail why I do not believe in this horror story.

👉 Russia does not save the falling regimes with troops. To take out the leader - yes, to save the regime, which has no support base left - no.

The only exception is Syria, but there was already a civil war, and Russian troops did not occupy the territory, they mainly worked through airstrikes. Whom should we bomb? Workshops MTZ and Belaz? Or the striking Belteleradiocompany?

👉 Belarusians do not want external intervention and do not want to be part of Russia. Here is the most recent poll of the Academy of Sciences: for joining the Russian Federation - less than 7%. For a closer union - less than 25%. The rest are for the friendship of independent countries. Belarus is not Crimea, which, like, asked him to be saved from the Nazis. There will be no roses.

👉 A people who does not ask to be saved will have to be held back with great force. The occupation troops are tens of thousands of people. And if partisanship begins, which is almost inevitable in this case and on such a social upsurge - hundreds of thousands. And thousands of victims. There is simply no more gentle way.

👉 Such an intervention is the loss of the Belarusian people even longer than the Ukrainian one. A people who are friendly to Russia today. According to the polls of Vardomatsky's laboratory, more than 70% support the current format of relations - without borders and customs, only 5-7% - for breaking ties.

👉 Add to this the flow of coffins home, the claims of their own people, who have not been explained that Bandera's people are striving for power in Minsk, as well as the unprecedentedly severe sanctions of the West.

👉 And all for what? For the sake of not leaving Belarus to the EU? Today's opposition is not in favor of this. And this is absurd given the current dependence of Minsk on Moscow. Leaving the EAEU and closing access to the Russian market means stopping the entire economy for a month. We owe Russia more than 70% of our external debt.

👉 The invasion does not solve the problem of internal stability either. The workers will not return to the factories, there will be a collapse of the banking system, tens of billions will have to be injected for humanitarian needs. And these are five Crimea by population. Recall that the Russian economy has not yet recovered itself after the coronavirus.

👉 The protesters do not come out with anti-Russian or pro-Western slogans. There is no such agenda at all. The Kremlin is not blind and sees this. Russia has accepted the results of the same unrelated revolutions in Kyrgyzstan and Armenia.

Moscow is always reorienting itself to the winning side. Especially realizing that this side is no more hostile than the authorities taking Russian citizens as hostages for the elections.

👉 Read the Kremlin's statement after your morning conversation with Lukashenko. There is a lot about friendship between peoples and enemies, but not a word about support for the current Belarusian president. The Kremlin has taken a wait-and-see attitude.

👉 For lawyers. The CSTO Charter does not provide for military assistance without external aggression (an armed attack threatening security, stability, territorial integrity and sovereignty) against a member state. Lukashenka blamed the Russians for this throughout the campaign and is now trying to portray a threat from the West.

But it is even difficult to come up with it in this situation. According to rumors, high-ranking Russians and Europeans are already calling up and laughing at these stories. A hybrid attack from the Telegram channel NEXTA is not spelled out in the CSTO charter.

P.S. In order to prevent such a scenario in the future, in case of victory, the transitional Belarusian authorities should not touch Soviet monuments, change symbols or cancel the state status of the Russian language in euphoria. But given that there will be a lot of things to do, and according to all available polls, these measures in Belarus are not supported by the majority, I see no reason to think that the transitional government will go crazy and start doing this at all.

https://twitter.com/rprose/status/1294706324937281537?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 15, 2020

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AP released their video of Alexander Taraikovsky just after he was shot :nws:
https://twitter.com/p_zalewski/status/1294717614393102348

It looks like that AP video starts just after the flash in these two videos
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1294658444830683136

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 15, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s a person getting killed, you mind NSWing it?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
hit with a grenade?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vasukhani posted:

hit with a grenade?

It was a shot from several metres in front of him. You can see it from a different angle in the video by Euroradio.

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRervXiGcg0

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shot in his chest with a rubber bullet which caused his heArt to stop working

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

In other words killed

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Here are some more bizarre Lukashenko quotes:

Amazing thing for a president of Belarus to say (1994) posted:

It is impossible to express anything great in Belarusian. The Belarusian language is a poor language. There are only two great languages in the world. Russian and English.

Luka on Obama (2008) posted:

I look at Obama, a young man, a good-looking person. That is my first impression, I feel sorry for him. He looks 100% like Lukashenko, when I came to power after the downfall of the Soviet Union. The store shelves were empty, a severe financial crisis.

Luka to a German reporter (1995) posted:

The history of Germany is to a certain degree a copy of the history of Belarus. Germany was raised from ruins thanks to firm authority by a man known as Adolf Hitler.

Luka on Hitler posted:

Not everything related to that well-known figure Adolf Hitler was bad. German order evolved over the centuries and attained its peak under Hitler.

Lukashenko would later attempt to walk back on these statements, claiming he never said it and that it’s all a falsification created in Poland by the opposition.

Luka on fascism posted:

I spoke of Hitler, yes. Yeah, a fascist was in power. A real idiot who killed so many people. But they did unite the nation. They succeeded in uniting the nation with an iron hand. This approach had results, so don’t blame me for wanting to have a serious tough government in the Republic of Belarus.

Luka on Jews (2007) posted:

Have you been to Babruysk? Have you seen the miserable state the town is in? It was such a shithole. It was mostly a Jewish town. The Jews are not concerned for well-being of the place they live in. I don't mean to be insulting to them, but Jews don’t really care if the place looks nice.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

That one about Jews, yikes. The one on the Belarusian language reminds me of a Belarusian youtuber I followed last year had a video explaining why he uploads his videos in Belarusian and not in say Russian or another of the languages he speaks fairly well. That this was a question he frequently gets and from Belarusians really confused me, but during the video he said most of the government don't speak it in official channels and showed a clip of a Minister on a visit being asked a question, and his response was "I'm sorry I don't understand you, could say that again in Russian please?"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Government demonstration was a failure. Many train and busses came in empty and it looks like around 3 thousand people at most were there.

Batka showed up and claimed for 30 minutes that Belarus will die without him and NATO forces are amassed at the border. His column left the city swiftly after that.

Meanwhile, the opposition rally is gathering around Minsk and looks to be the biggest to date.

Also, I find it super lovely that neither Brown Moses, nor the mods have enough decency to put the AP video of Aliaksandr Taraikouski’s gory death behind at least a spoiler tag.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 16, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

At least 100.000 now, as opposed to Luka’s ~3000.

https://twitter.com/tadeuszgiczan/status/1294974138331930624?s=21

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mokotow posted:

Also, I find it super lovely that neither Brown Moses, nor the mods have enough decency to put the AP video of Aliaksandr Taraikouski’s gory death behind at least a spoiler tag.

He edited it right away. On desktop only the hyperlink is displayed because BM added the nsw tag. But I think the Awful app ignores it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

He edited it right away. On desktop only the hyperlink is displayed because BM added the nsw tag. But I think the Awful app ignores it.

Apologies then if that’s the case. Awful app indeed doesn’t seem to show it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Batka’s banter with the crowd:

- Do you want freedom?
- No!
- Do you want changes?
- No!
- Do you want reforms?
- No!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mokotow posted:

Batka’s banter with the crowd:

- Do you want freedom?
- No!
- Do you want changes?
- No!
- Do you want reforms?
- No!

Is there a video of this? Sounds hilarious.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What do we want?
Nothing!
When do we want it?
Never!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Some 100 thousand people on today's anti-Lukashenko protest in Minsk by conservative estimates. Thousands upon thousands more in other cities and towns all over the country. Even national television can't ignore peaceful protests anymore and their today's reporting on them was almost neutral in sharp contrast with how Lukashenko himself painted them at his rally.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/cmuncharaz/status/1295019563466264578?s=21

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 16, 2020

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1295029654147956736

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

а кто такой хокаге??

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1295003032762097665

Of course they are :nallears:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wSt13_hX4c

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 16, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A bit of a worrying development, in my opinion, from Tikhanovskaya's side. In an interview to Echo of Moscow, one of her representatives said that, basically Tikhanovskaya is de facto and de jure president, and they don't want any recounts or second rounds of voting. At least for me, after over 20 years of disregard of law and covering up real election results, it's a tough sell to have another person be president without me knowing actual results, even if I literally voted for her. I am not disillusioned in protests in the slightest, because there was no Tikhanovskaya's leadership behind them and it is nigh undeniable that Lukashenko can't be president anymore, but I have my doubts about what's coming next. I don't know if I'm being overly optimistic thinking that Lukashenko will go no matter what, or overly pessimistic with my fears of potentially botched transition of power.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is such a brazen provocation, the mind boggles.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Are there any doubts about the loyalty of the Belarusian military to Lukashenko? I'm asking because I find it odd all the rumors that he might ask Putin to send in the Russian military to put down the protests. Like why doesn't Luka just send in his own military? Unless maybe they can't be trusted to shoot at their own countrymen? (I hope that's the case)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Charliegrs posted:

Are there any doubts about the loyalty of the Belarusian military to Lukashenko? I'm asking because I find it odd all the rumors that he might ask Putin to send in the Russian military to put down the protests. Like why doesn't Luka just send in his own military? Unless maybe they can't be trusted to shoot at their own countrymen? (I hope that's the case)
In many mass movements in the last half-century, the last nail in the dictator's coffin has been their attempt at sending in the military to reassert control only to find the military unwilling to follow through on the use of force required. If decision-makers in control of the army see the situation as untenable or see better opportunity to advance their interests with the dictator gone, they'll require extraordinary concessions/bribes/threats to toe the line. That's assuming they aren't zealously beholden to an ideology or ethos they believe the government to be the sole true representatives of, but this doesn't seem to come up all that much.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well he already has sent units of the military to back up the police, I've seen footage of former service personnel denouncing them as disgraces to the nation and photos of uniforms dumped in bins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53776463/belarus-uniform-shame-becomes-viral-protest

I've also seen photos of what appear to be Serbian mercenaries already active too.

https://twitter.com/lubaromanko/status/1294698514824355840?s=20

Just seen this

https://twitter.com/bad_immigrant/status/1295075591323099137?s=20

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 17, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baka-nin posted:

Well he already has sent units of the military to back up the police, I've seen footage of former service personnel denouncing them as disgraces to the nation and photos of uniforms dumped in bins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53776463/belarus-uniform-shame-becomes-viral-protest

I've also seen photos of what appear to be Serbian mercenaries already active too.

https://twitter.com/lubaromanko/status/1294698514824355840?s=20

For what it's worth, Belarus is hosting some of the events in the International Military Games that are supposed to take place across multiple locations including Brest on August 23 - September 5. A team of Serbian soldiers do participate in the competition, it seems. None of the photos actually show alleged Serbian soldiers at the protests either.

I've also seen people report sightings of Lithuanian and Russian soldiers, but in both cases reports were found to be false. Considering that after a several days there was no corroboration on this story about Serbians, it might have been another false alarm. Serbia is pals with Russia, but I highly doubt to the extent where they would just send their special forces to Belarus to suppress riots.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Multiple sightings of Russian military vehicles possibly en route to Belarus: https://meduza.io/news/2020/08/17/cit-na-puti-k-belarusi-zametili-desyatki-gruzovikov-rosgvardii

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There are joint military maneuvers planned in the west of Belarus. Convenient, but not necessarily ominous.