Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry for getting too pissed off like that on the last page. there's no need for going "aggro" in spite of my grievances. i should consider my self lucky and blessed to have friends in high places. let's start this new page off nicely with a question about wrestling. What wrestlers have shown their butt to a camera while wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cavauro posted:

i'm sorry for getting too pissed off like that on the last page. there's no need for going "aggro" in spite of my grievances. i should consider my self lucky and blessed to have friends in high places. let's start this new page off nicely with a question about wrestling. What wrestlers have shown their butt to a camera while wrestling?

Ric Flair basically showed his butt and also
sac

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

He showed it to me live

titties
May 10, 2012

HBK and savage also both did the cheeky spot sometimes

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I Before E posted:

Bob and Crash Holly

To be fair, he was “Hardcore” Holly. Before that, he was Bob, then he was “Bombastic” Bob, and he was “Sparky” Thurman Plugg, or STP.

They all generally sucked, mind you

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Red posted:

To be fair, he was “Hardcore” Holly. Before that, he was Bob, then he was “Bombastic” Bob, and he was “Sparky” Thurman Plugg, or STP.

They all generally sucked, mind you

I liked Crash Holly :colbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I liked Crash Holly :colbert:

Crash and Molly made the family gimmick fun, in spite of Bob.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
HOW ABOUT YOU DRACULA, YA FAT BASTARD

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I can't find any of the promos/skits online but I remember like a two week period where Viscera teamed up with the Superheavyweight Hollys and they seemed to be hinting that maybe he could be Viscera Holly.

titties
May 10, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Weighing in at...I don't know, they look like a buck and a quarter, Anorexic Annie and Karen Carpenter

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I once was billed as "weighing less than a stuffed envelope"

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yokozuna and Andre never teamed, which is a shame because they'd be heavier than everyone

e: Kuma, the Scottish indie wrestler, is billed as 550 lbs, so if you pair him with Yokozuna then welp

e2: actually wait lmao, if you sort by weight on Cagematch, you'll find that the heaviest wrestler of all time, at 748 lbs, is Happy Humphrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgdAHR8JNN4

second heaviest is apparently Benny McGuire, who was 741 lbs, and third heaviest is his brother Billy at 638:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKwQStdZ9lc

in conclusion, the heaviest tag team of all time is the McGuire Twins

e3: how the gently caress did I miss them being posted on the last page loving hell

Venomous fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 17, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's nice that they could wipe each other's asses.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jim Ross tells a story on the Legends Roundtable about giants that he had to go talk to the mcguire twins in the locker room once and they expanded to completely fill an 8-person shower room. Apparently the overalls were holding things in

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apparently, Happy Humphrey wrestled a couple of tag matches with Haystacks Calhoun. That's the only team I can think of that could give the McGuire Twins a run for their money.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Jim Ross tells a story on the Legends Roundtable about giants that he had to go talk to the mcguire twins in the locker room once and they expanded to completely fill an 8-person shower room. Apparently the overalls were holding things in

Pictured:

https://youtu.be/A_MnyV-HH3U

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is there any demand for a Tag Team Champions of the Month poll? I remember way back when there was one.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Is there any demand for a Tag Team Champions of the Month poll? I remember way back when there was one.

its been tried a couple of times but never really caught any major momentum. there's only two companies that actually try with booking tag teams as non jokes, impact and aew, so you'd just be seeing the same two belts win over and over until some plucky team in either wwe or njpw takes gold, they'd win for the month, then its back to debating between impact and aew (and i believe aew wins this argument every single month) over who the champs for the month should be

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eh, I guess that's a good point. Kind of a shame.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you wish to make a poll i will support it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will too.

i dont know if the wwe belts are actively defended or not. if they've been defended during the month of august, i'd do the main roster belts, raw sd and women, probably not the nxt belts since it'd be a poll about world tag team champions and none of the nxt belts are world titles.

aew and impact have been active but i dont know if impact has had tag titles defended since mcmg won them.

only the HW tag titles for njpw since the jr ones are deactivated right now due to YOH's injury

i guess i open the floor here for people to suggest other titles. i have no idea if the all japan tag titles have been defended since SUWAMA won the triple crown. NOAH's tag titles have been effectively frozen due to covid.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Doesn't AJPW take their tag belts fairly seriously?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

They do, but Suwama is a double champion so the Double Cup has only been defended twice since March.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they do but they're not defended monthly. they were really strongly protected in the 90s, treated on-par with the triple crown and for the most part only main eventers held the belts. kroffat and furnas were multi time all-asia tag champs but only ever got *one* title shot at the world tag team titles. they were unsuccessful. them never being trusted with a world tag team title run was what led them to leave for the US scene.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this is the period where the titles were held in really strong regard, and even then champions only seemed to muster out a handful of defenses. not because of inactivity, but because the title matches were treated like a really big deal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The poll could take into account two months of defenses, if that loosens restrictions of who is represented.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

this is the period where the titles were held in really strong regard, and even then champions only seemed to muster out a handful of defenses. not because of inactivity, but because the title matches were treated like a really big deal.

Wait, DiBiase left the WWE after Summer Slam, and won the AJPW tag titles a few days later? I thought he left because he was retiring.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wait, DiBiase left the WWE after Summer Slam, and won the AJPW tag titles a few days later? I thought he left because he was retiring.

he left over money and injuries he sustained during the AJPW tour is what led to his retirement.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JOHN CENA posted:

i will too.

i dont know if the wwe belts are actively defended or not. if they've been defended during the month of august, i'd do the main roster belts, raw sd and women, probably not the nxt belts since it'd be a poll about world tag team champions and none of the nxt belts are world titles.

aew and impact have been active but i dont know if impact has had tag titles defended since mcmg won them.

only the HW tag titles for njpw since the jr ones are deactivated right now due to YOH's injury

i guess i open the floor here for people to suggest other titles. i have no idea if the all japan tag titles have been defended since SUWAMA won the triple crown. NOAH's tag titles have been effectively frozen due to covid.

The NOAH titles are on the line at the end of the month, AXIZ vs Sugiura-gun. There's also the Open The Twin Gate titles in Dragongate and tag wrestling is really the bread and butter of DG.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
How do you think Shane Douglas would have done in WWE if he had waited one year to jump ship there? By Summer 1996 Hall & Nash were gone, and guaranteed contracts were a thing so that’s two big negatives from his 1995 run out of the way.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shawn michaels and hunter are still there so probably getting his face stuck in the sultan's butt

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How do you think Shane Douglas would have done in WWE if he had waited one year to jump ship there? By Summer 1996 Hall & Nash were gone, and guaranteed contracts were a thing so that’s two big negatives from his 1995 run out of the way.

Isn't he sub 6'? It would have been difficult for him, also because to me he represented a kind of southern workrate guy that WWE was trying to snuff out at the time. I think his best bet was to try and get over in WCW and then go to WWE with the radicalz but there's conflicting stories as to why that didn't happen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

One of the things that killed him was having a stinker with Waltman fairly early in his run (Hall and Nash buried him to Vince afterwards) so ultimately it might not have helped.

By Shane's own admission, there was another incident where Vince wanted a promo cut a certain way. Shane asked to do it his way, and if Vince didn't like it, he'd do it Vince's way. Apparently Vince took a call during the attempt. Douglas claims the production staff liked his way better, but when Vince came back from the call, he took a look at the playback, wasn't into it, and insisted on his way. Shane was pretty discouraged after that.

Shane is notoriously full of poo poo, but I believe this story because 1) Something similar happened to Test years later ahead of an ECW title at Royal Rumble, and that incident and a combination of a bad match with Lashley got Test fired, and 2) It absolutely sounds like something that Vince would do.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here is an unrelated question, to which the answer is probably a simple "It depends on the wrestlers contract, which varies from person to person."

Itis particular example is Ruby Riott, and it comes up because I was looking up stuff from her. But It applies to a lot of other wrestlers.

On ProWrestlingTees, she is still selling merch under Heidi Lovelace, but you can also buy Ruby Riott T-Shirts from the WWE shop. How does she get away with that? I would have thought a WWE contract would not allow you to make other wrestling merch whilst you still worked for them.

Is it because WWE doesn't have any claim over the Heidi Lovelace name, so she can still make merch in her previous name even while working for them under a different name? Can WWE only claim official "Ruby Riott" branded gear? But then under that, what is to stop a wrestler from making their own bootleg shirts on the side that don't use the "official" spellings of their catchphrase/name etc? To make a bad example, could Bayley sell shirts that say "hugging people is nice", which is different from the WWE copyrighted "I'm a Hugger" etc.

edit: Also how does it work selling merch of someone who no longer works for the company? Coz you can still buy Rusev Day T-Shirts from wweshop.com, but they are in the clearance section. Does Miro still get his percentage of those shirts sold?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 18, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im guessing riott had her store set up in preparation for the swath of releases that she was spared from. she still owns the rights to the heidi lovelace character, so she's probably fine selling that stuff. if she isn't, well shush, don't be a cop.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

How much would you have to be paid to sit in catering?

Like, if your job was to keep yourself in good physical shape, be enthusiastic on social media, fly around the country two or three times a week and be constantly ring-ready, and lose a match that made it onto TV about once every 6 weeks, how much money would you have to be offered to take that deal?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lamuella posted:

How much would you have to be paid to sit in catering?

Like, if your job was to keep yourself in good physical shape, be enthusiastic on social media, fly around the country two or three times a week and be constantly ring-ready, and lose a match that made it onto TV about once every 6 weeks, how much money would you have to be offered to take that deal?

I think the question has to be "How much would you have to be paid to give up on your dream, something you've been passionate about your whole life?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That's a factor in it, definitely.