Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SimpleCoax posted:

Another X-H1 fan here. I have an X-T3 as well, but I use the X-H1 more. Didn’t really even float the idea of an X-T4. Looking forward to an X-H2.

Two rumors, both bad. One, XH2 will be more video focused. Two, no more XH line at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah, the X-T4 seems like it should've been the X-H2 if they were going to continue the lines as they currently exist. Same sensor as the X-T3 + IBIS, everything else only slight improvements if not identical is similar to the relation between the X-T2 and X-H1.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuji has some interesting patents for virtual control dials and a better top screen that seem more suited to the X-H line but that doesn’t mean they’re going to do them.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

torgeaux posted:

Two rumors, both bad. One, XH2 will be more video focused. Two, no more XH line at all.

Fuji Rumors consistently states Fuji is continuing the H line.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
Just going to add to the XH-1 love. I loved the XT-2 and on paper the XH-1 doesn’t look like it has that much more to offer, but there are a ton of small little improvements that come together to result in a hugely improved user experience. About the only negatives are that it’s form factor is pretty chunky for a mirrorless camera and you can’t use a screw in shutter release. From a stills perspective I’m not really seeing anything on the horizon from Fuji that makes me want to upgrade.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SimpleCoax posted:

Fuji Rumors consistently states Fuji is continuing the H line.

There last rumor was it was 2021 and video centric.

But, the rumor if it's demise has been around a good while, and the XT-4 hit the XH notes pretty hard.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Splinter posted:

Yeah, the X-T4 seems like it should've been the X-H2 if they were going to continue the lines as they currently exist. Same sensor as the X-T3 + IBIS, everything else only slight improvements if not identical is similar to the relation between the X-T2 and X-H1.

Small but nice point on the X-T4 as well is the photo / video mode switcher around the base of I think the shutter speed dial. If you setup the camera to use ‘silent’ controls for video, it means you can flip back and forth incredibly easily. I’m sure an X-H2 will have to use the same.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

So I've been a loyal X100 user since the first model (owned each version except for the T), is the V worth the upgrade over the F? I would have thought new lens+sensor+screen+weather sealing would make it a no brainer but a lot of reviews I've been reading don't make the differences sound so extreme. Plus I would have to buy another bloody case for it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The tilt screen and weather sealing seem like great adds but the price and no huge leap in low light performance made me decide to stick with my F. I never really feel held back by the claimed “soft lens” in the F except maybe for macro which it’s not great at. That said I think with the market shrinking overall the pace of new cameras is going to slow down so a V would probably be a good investment for several years.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

That tracks with my line of thinking, better low light performance was a big reason for upgrading the first couple of times and the lens softness never really bothered me (it has character!). But I looove the fuji film simulations and you get 2 more with the V and I don't think I want to wait another 3+ years for the next model either. Maybe I'll wait a few more months if there's a sale on.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I had the X100F but I like having Bluetooth. I think I would much rather have the X100V and will probably get one at some point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but my EM1X having both wifi and Bluetooth seems to far more reliably connect to my phone than my other models that only had wifi.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I picked up the X-T3 and 16-80 combo when it first went on sale. I can’t stay away from Fuji, it just works best for me.

Except for the Bluetooth and WiFi connection. It works for awhile but then refuses to connect in the app. I reset the configuration and end up with the same thing a few days later. It’s odd.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

harperdc posted:

I have one and love it on the X-T20. It’s quick and sharp from wide open, good quality build and pretty small. I’m happy with it, and have used it for walk around days — I also got the 35/2 recently and those are a good lightweight pair. This review of the 16/2.8 is good and shows comparisons with the others. It’s well worth $400 or so new.

I have the 16/2.8 as well and I've been happy with it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone else with a Fuji XF 35mm 1.4 find that it under exposes by 1 to 2 stops? I’m shooting with an XT-10, other lenses I use are fine. Is it just extra contrasty, do I have a weird copy, or is it probably all in my head?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'd check that the aperture mechanism isn't stuck, either completely or for part of the range. Put it in full manual (ie fix the iso and shutter speed) and take a shot at every aperture f-stop increment and see if the exposure is changing every time or if you end up with the same exposure despite setting different apertures.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

frogbs posted:

Does anyone else with a Fuji XF 35mm 1.4 find that it under exposes by 1 to 2 stops? I’m shooting with an XT-10, other lenses I use are fine. Is it just extra contrasty, do I have a weird copy, or is it probably all in my head?

I have not found that in any of the cameras I've shot with using that lens (X-H1, X-T20, X-T3). But I usually compose visually using the EVF... Are you saying that it's underexposed vs what the camera's histogram tells you (and what you see through the EVF), or vs what you expect given shutter/ISO/aperture settings?

e: stuck a missing bracket in

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Haven't noticed that with my XF35 1.4 either, however my copy is extremely soft at 1.4, but I think that's a known "feature," however that gave me the idea that maybe, somehow, it could appear underexposed if it's not focused completely, if you shoot at 1.4. Not to say that there's any logic or truth behind that thought path, but eyes can play weird tricks at times. Hopefully you get to the bottom of it.

Edit: Ignore me I'm a dumb dumb. Referring to the 23, not 35. Which I actually sent in to Fuji and they found a fault and "repaired it," but was still soft at 1.4.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 9, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Weird. My xf 35/1.4 was the sharpest 1.4 lens I've ever owned. I could not find faults from the lens.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Just realized I made an oopsie, was thinking XF35 but in realty meant XF23. Wish I had the 35, but sadly I do not. So ignore my previous boneheaded comment :ughh:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Speaking of 35mm primes, I recently bought the samyang 35mm f/1.4 for sony E mount. Really like it so far. Nice sharpness (in the center at least, not peeped the corners much) even wide open. IDGAF about any weight/size concerns.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How is the AF? Are you hitting at 1.4? Quick?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
You know, it does actually seem decently fast. I don’t currently have any actual sony lenses (you can guess why lol) but I’d say it’s faster than my viltrox 85mm. I’d heard it was relatively slow, but compared to what I don’t know. AF wide open seems to perform just fine.

:shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Neat. I am hoping I can find a shop that stocks them so I can try them on my Sony. I want something wide and fast for low light street-ish and those seem up my alley. Thanks!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Does anyone here happen to own the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm F/2.0? I'm just wondering if the lens cap is somewhat standard or if the front element protrudes enough that it needs a custom cap?

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Does anyone here happen to own the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm F/2.0? I'm just wondering if the lens cap is somewhat standard or if the front element protrudes enough that it needs a custom cap?

Just checked mine and looks to be a standard lens cap. I also own the Samyang 100mm Macro F2.8 and both lens caps are indentical and interchangeable.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lusername posted:

Just checked mine and looks to be a standard lens cap. I also own the Samyang 100mm Macro F2.8 and both lens caps are indentical and interchangeable.

Thanks! There's a couple EF-M copies without lens caps (or hoods :( ) on eBay and it's kind of a tough lens to find used in that mount.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I've had the itch recently to upgrade from my Fuji XT-10 to something that's got a little better low light performance. Should I just try to find a used XT-3 or is it worth the premium to step up to an XT-4?

The other option i've been considering is switching to something that's full frame. I have a mix of Canon Ef lenses and M42 glass around (in addition to a few XF lenses). Looks like I could get a Canon 6D Mark II relatively cheap, but it's hard to tell if that'd be much of upgrade from what I have now.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
T4 has IBIS right? I dunno how strong fuji's is, but Olympus' IBIS is amazing for low light

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Everything I've read gives me the impression that if you don't care about video, there's no particular reason to get an X-T3. Get an X-T2, or if you can afford it and want IBIS, get an X-T4.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would look at the X-T2 or T3 depending on your budget. Even the step to X-T2 will bring big improvements to the sensor and AF processing (from the 16 mp sensor to the 24 mp one) and I've been really impressed with my X-T20 in the dark, and that uses the same sensor.

The X-T3 is good as well, but it seems like it's refinements with the autofocus more than anything. X-T4 is a monster but still expensive.

One of the big reasons I like using the Fuji is because of just how small it is, but the 6DII is obviously good at what it does too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hey folks, didn’t see a Sony thread but my a6400 is mirrorless afaik so I guess this counts. This is fairly specific but do you all have any automation workflows set up with the camera? I’d love to be able to ssh into the camera proper and transfer out my photos wirelessly. I saw that wireless SD cards used to be a thing but that seems a bit much.

Also what sort of goat do I have to sacrifice to get the goddamned phone app to work? This thing is just awful.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I use the Apple Card reader and import into Lightroom’s iPad app. Sony’s app is so poor I just use a remote trigger cable as and when just to avoid the stress.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

I've had the itch recently to upgrade from my Fuji XT-10 to something that's got a little better low light performance. Should I just try to find a used XT-3 or is it worth the premium to step up to an XT-4?

The other option i've been considering is switching to something that's full frame. I have a mix of Canon Ef lenses and M42 glass around (in addition to a few XF lenses). Looks like I could get a Canon 6D Mark II relatively cheap, but it's hard to tell if that'd be much of upgrade from what I have now.

I was in the same situation as you, except with the X-T1... I went up today to look at a used X-T3 with the 16-80 lens, but they both looked like they'd been run over, and there was something else that was just too tempting:

I've had the XT-1 for years, and I've always been happy with it, so I'm excited to see what all has improved with the X-T4. Someday I need to get another lens, too, but honestly the 18-55 has done everything I've wanted it to do.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Fats posted:

I've had the XT-1 for years, and I've always been happy with it, so I'm excited to see what all has improved with the X-T4. Someday I need to get another lens, too, but honestly the 18-55 has done everything I've wanted it to do.

I believe you'll get drastically better OIS performance out of the 18-55 with the X-T4, which is cool. I think with just lens OIS the 18-55 only gets you ~2 stops (not nearly as good as lots of other Fuji OIS implementations, I think due to the 18-55 producing a smaller image circle than most other Fuji lenses so there's less wiggle room for the OIS to work with), but with the X-T4 (or X-H1 with latest firmware) this should improve to 5+ stops due to what Fuji was able to do w/ combining IBIS and lens OIS.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If memory serves the 18-55 on the X-T4 gets at least 4.5 stops. It’s solid. [Edit] 6.5 apparently? Jeez. And it was 5 on the X-H1.

If you’ve still got budget after going for the X-T4 go for a prime, the one weakness with the 18-55 is that lack of boookeeeehhhhhh. It’s a great lens but getting the Fujicron 35 is something else entirely.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 17, 2020

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I'm looking at purchasing a new camera for my birthday in a few months, currently have an Olympus E-M10 Mark II and was tossing up between an Olympus E-M1 Mark III or a Sony A7R mark II. I'm somewhat invested in M4/3 and own 5 lenses (30 and 60mm macro, 14-42mm pancake, 40-150mm 4-5.6. Love the portability, weight and largely am pleased with the results and use it for street photography, macro and I want to get into astrophotography (already have a 12mm samyang f2).

Wildly different cameras, similar costs, except when it comes to buying new lenses to achieve results.
I shoot manual, don't really rely upon AF for macro or street photography, but would likely use the Starry Sky AF with the Olympus for astrophotography (if Stage 4 lockdown in Victoria ever ends).

Bit concerned about the price of lenses if I go Sony, whereas I have a complement of lenses if I stick with M4/3.

Also planning on buying either a lens for bird watching Oly 70-300 4-5.6 or Oly 75mm 1.8 for portraiture and a flash for macro/general usage (Oly fl-700wr) or a pro lens, specifically either the 12-40mm for general usage or 7-14mm for architecture/street photography (quite like the wide angle look and nature of the latter).

If I went the Sony, I'd probably just buy the 90mm FE macro and then save up for other lenses.
I'm pretty sure I should just stick with the Oly, but what says the Dorkroom? Is there another camera/system I'm missing out on?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I shoot Sony but LOL at their FE lens prices. Check out Viltrox & Samyang if you’re looking for a fast prime that doesn’t require a second mortgage to fund (I have a lens from each manufacturer and like them both). For zooms apparently Tamron is killing it lately.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Fats posted:

I've had the XT-1 for years, and I've always been happy with it, so I'm excited to see what all has improved with the X-T4.

I did the same upgrade, and the X-T4 felt so wonderful! Everything just feels crisper compared to my beloved X-T1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

23 Skidoo posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a new camera for my birthday in a few months, currently have an Olympus E-M10 Mark II and was tossing up between an Olympus E-M1 Mark III or a Sony A7R mark II. I'm somewhat invested in M4/3 and own 5 lenses (30 and 60mm macro, 14-42mm pancake, 40-150mm 4-5.6. Love the portability, weight and largely am pleased with the results and use it for street photography, macro and I want to get into astrophotography (already have a 12mm samyang f2).

Wildly different cameras, similar costs, except when it comes to buying new lenses to achieve results.
I shoot manual, don't really rely upon AF for macro or street photography, but would likely use the Starry Sky AF with the Olympus for astrophotography (if Stage 4 lockdown in Victoria ever ends).

Bit concerned about the price of lenses if I go Sony, whereas I have a complement of lenses if I stick with M4/3.

Also planning on buying either a lens for bird watching Oly 70-300 4-5.6 or Oly 75mm 1.8 for portraiture and a flash for macro/general usage (Oly fl-700wr) or a pro lens, specifically either the 12-40mm for general usage or 7-14mm for architecture/street photography (quite like the wide angle look and nature of the latter).

If I went the Sony, I'd probably just buy the 90mm FE macro and then save up for other lenses.
I'm pretty sure I should just stick with the Oly, but what says the Dorkroom? Is there another camera/system I'm missing out on?

The Oly 75mm f/1.8 is phenomenal, and if you don't want to spend quite as much, the 45mm f/1.8 is a really good small portrait lens about the size of a golf ball. The 12-40mm Pro is a great walk-around. I only sold mine because i'm typically on the longer end of things. A friend owns the 7-14mm for landscapes and raves about it. The 75-300mm has been around for quite a while so you should be able to find it used fairly easily. It's a bit slow as the aperture would indicate, but if you're in solid enough light you should be good. IBIS on the EM1 series is fantastic and that will definitely help.

I had the EM1 Mk2 and loved it. Built like a tank, and i'm sure the Mk3 is really good as well. I'm the one lunatic the EM1-X was basically tailor made for so I made the jump to that.